The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2020, 08:01 PM
Nobility

And Trump has commented on Meghan Markle.....

Old 09-23-2020, 08:08 PM
Majesty

Trump says many things, nonsensical and otherwise. Wishing Harry luck? I'd say that probably some are wishing him the same in six weeks, considering the latest polling.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I am commenting again as I just read the BBC article where Harry's spokesman commented that "His message is not in reference to any specific political party or candidate, but is instead a call for decency in how we engage with each other, interact, and consume information - especially online."

I am shocked by how rude this comment is (not the statement from the spokesman, but Harry's), even more so than I found Harry's statement without the clarification. Of course, if Harry was calling for these things in general, that would be one thing, but he is calling for them specifically in the context of another country's election.

I cannot imagine sitting in a pub in the UK with an election upcoming and saying to a local resident, "You know, with the vote around the corner, you all really should be a bit kinder to each other and watch what you say and not spread what I as an outsider think is false information." It would be the height of rudeness and I can imagine being asked to leave.

Not to mention that with what many American citizens feel they have at stake in the current political climate, someone who is not a citizen here and therefore does not have those things at stake coming in and telling people who feel victimized and unheard to "be kind" and "not spread negativity"... it's not on.

You just don't go to other people's countries and comment on how they are conducting themselves in their elections and sensitive political processes, no matter who you are. It's culturally insensitive.
Speaking of Jeremy Corbyn, the book Left Out: The Inside Story of Labour Under Corbyn by Gabriel Pogrund and Patrick Maguire did mentioned his communication with Harry and Meghan.

According to The Week article:
Republican Corbyn bonded with the Sussexes
In an unlikely meeting of the minds, Corbyn and his wife, Mexican businesswoman Laura Alvarez, bonded with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle over the royal couple’s “treatment at the hands of the tabloid press”, says Left Out.

While attending the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey, Alvarez “slipped them” a collection of writings by 17th-century Mexican poet Juana Ines de la Cruz.

Alvarez “hoped Meghan might find a kindred spirit” in De la Cruz, a nun whose “willingness to attack the hypocrisies of the colonial classes had made her a target for Establishment hate”.

The following day, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex sent a personally signed note of “great thanks” to “Jeremy and Laura”, who had “privately offered sympathy” over their media battles.

“Such was Corbyn’s dislike of the press that it had even convinced him to moderate his lifelong republicanism,” claim Pogrund and Maguire.
https://www.theweek.co.uk/107884/fiv...my-corbyn-book

I have also looked at the preview of Left Out: The Inside Story of Labour Under Corbyn on Google Books
"...hypocrisies of the colonial classes had made her a target for establishment hate. In Sister Juana, Alvarez hoped Meghan might find a kindred spirit. The Corbyns had privately offered sympathy for the duchess's treatment at the hands of the tabloid press, whose misdemeanours they felt similarly familiar with. The following day, the Sussexes sent a personally signed note of 'great thanks to Jeremy and Laura' for their support and said they look forward 'to learn more about her life and works!' Such was Corbyn dislike of the mainstream press that it had even convinced him to moderate his lifelong republicanism"
https://www.google.com.au/books/edit...sec=frontcover

Laura Alvarez is Jeremy Corbyn's wife.

Harry & Meghan's private conversation and friendship with the Corbyns are not the same as making "public politics related statements". I do think Jeremy Corbyn and Laura Alvarez are just providing moral support, who happen to share similar opinions.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Aristocracy

Meghan should not comment on politics with her title. I hope the Queen removes their title, I say this as someone who is not a Republican at all.

Good on Trump!
Old 09-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think Harry does understand why he's unable to vote. He told a member of the public a few years ago who asked him that he was unable to speak about what he thought of Brexit?
Or give any opinion on domestic elections? As I do remember two non working sisters, members of the Royal Family attending Boris Johnson's post election victory party. Surely a statement in itself. .
As for Princess Beatrice, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie, Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor attending Boris Johnson's post election victory party, it's not really the same as making statement (by Harry) "As we approach this November, it's vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity". Other guests for the party included: Mick Jagger, David and Samantha Cameron, Rachel Johnson (Boris' sister), Daisy Lowe, Matt Smith, Jemima Goldsmith, Sadie Frost, Peter Mandelson (former Labour MP), Anna Friel, Tracey Emin, David Walliams, Lily Cole, David Hasselhoff, Eddie Izzard (who joined Labour candidates in campaign trials).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Annabels.html

I wouldn't called these guests who attended the party "conservative" or "right-wing". Most of them are just there for a Christmas celebration. They probably attended because they are "Annabel's club member" or close friends of Boris Johnson. I have saw pictures of Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie leaving Annabel's recently, so I think they attended as club members.

As I mentioned in earlier post, I have no problem with Harry and Meghan being friendly with Jeremy Corbyn and Laura Alvarez, because their conversations were in private.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I’ve deleted a number of off-topic comments discussing President Obama/Brexit and the differences between right and left-leaning politics. Further comments discussing those topics will be deleted.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
Meghan should not comment on politics with her title. I hope the Queen removes their title, I say this as someone who is not a Republican at all.

Good on Trump!
If the Queen didn't remove the titles of Nazi sympathizers, I see no reason why she would do so for urging people to vote. The Sussexes aren't telling people to take up arms and storm the White House, for heaven's sake.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
If the Queen didn't remove the titles of Nazi sympathizers, I see no reason why she would do so for urging people to vote. The Sussexes aren't telling people to take up arms and storm the White House, for heaven's sake.
Different time now and the Royals should be neutral. Harry should remain a Prince but his dukedom should be removed. It's a no wonder they had a tantrum and left.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Harry stepping in and speaking about voting in the US is like me scrubbing in to assist in brain surgery. We both don't belong there.
Very apt, I agree. The fact that he and Meghan are undoubtedly aware of the uncomfortable position statements like this put the British government and especially his family in...yet they continue to do as they please, seems really obnoxious at this point.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-23-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
“But many of you may not know I haven’t been able to vote in the UK my entire life”.

What on earth is he talking about? How can a man who has had all the advantages of the best education on the planet say something so foolish?
THIS is the part of Harry's comment that irked me the most. I have no problem with influential people getting out the vote, but does Harry forget that he's a literal prince? His title is in direct opposition to the democratic process of voting, of course he couldn't vote. How can he victimize himself when the United States is battling a pandemic, racial tension, and a polarizing election? I'm amazed no one stop him from saying this.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:39 PM
Royal Highness

Trump takes a cheap shot at Meghan. What else is new? He dragged her on the state visit to the UK. And Trump slags on women who challenge him - Hillary, Kamala Harris. For the record the Sussexes did not say vote for Biden. Trump needs a distraction - the latest news cycle is going that Trump may not do a peaceful transition of power (if he loses) and he's under water in some polls. There's still a chance the American voters may fire him on Election Day, mainly for COVID response. Going after Meghan at a White House press conference was stupid on Trump's part. Mentioning her by name will only galvanize a swath of the US press to defend her and some Americans to vote him out on Nov 3.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, I believe its only the monarch that is supposed to remain neutral and not vote in elections. The rest of the family *do* have the right to vote but "The rules governing royals beyond the queen are less firm. But a Buckingham Palace spokesperson tells Newsweek that "by convention," members of the royal family "close to the queen" do not exercise their right to vote."

Harry does have the right to vote in the UK but "by convention", senior members of the royal family don't vote.

https://www.newsweek.com/british-ele...ddleton-622958
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Trump takes a cheap shot at Meghan. What else is new? He dragged her on the state visit to the UK. And Trump slags on women who challenge him - Hillary, Kamala Harris. For the record the Sussexes did not say vote for Biden. Trump needs a distraction - the latest news cycle is going that Trump may not do a peaceful transition of power (if he loses) and he's under water in some polls. There's still a chance the American voters may fire him on Election Day, mainly for COVID response. Going after Meghan at a White House press conference was stupid on Trump's part. Mentioning her by name will only galvanize a swath of the US press to defend her and some Americans to vote him out on Nov 3.
I don’t really think any of us are going to be voting for/against Trump based on his comments about Meghan Markle.

I,however, do think that this will come back to bite the Sussexes esp. if Trump is re-elected
Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is not necessary to say something literally to make sure that people understand exactly what you mean. I don't think there are many people that would argue that Meghan is suggesting they vote for Trump with her talking about 'this time it is really essential' - and all her previous utterances about politics both prior to her marriage and in the last 6 months or so.

The fact that you say 'the Sussexes didn't say vote for Biden' is proof that you also know that they aren't suggesting people vote for Trump... but instead appeal to voters for change.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Actually, I believe its only the monarch that is supposed to remain neutral and not vote in elections. The rest of the family *do* have the right to vote but "The rules governing royals beyond the queen are less firm. But a Buckingham Palace spokesperson tells Newsweek that "by convention," members of the royal family "close to the queen" do not exercise their right to vote."

Harry does have the right to vote in the UK but "by convention", senior members of the royal family don't vote.

https://www.newsweek.com/british-ele...ddleton-622958
Thank you Osipi for the Newsweek article, which has included a lot instances, where people think some members of the Royal Family may have dipped into "muddy waters of politics". But their comments/actions does not come close to Harry's comment, "As we approach this November, it's vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity,".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54257450

On top of my head, the only member of the royal family, who has made comment on very contentious topics is Lord Nicholas Windsor (youngest son of the Prince Edward, Duke of Kent). He forfeited his right of succession to the British throne, after been received into the Catholic Church. He has written 'pro-life' opinions in The Telegraph, The Catholic Herald and First Things.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-abortion.html

I don't if he actually votes in UK elections though. If so, he probably kept it quiet like other members of the royal family.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Royal Highness

An interesting article from Grazia UK

https://graziadaily.co.uk/amp/celebr...mpression=true

Wishing for the complete destruction of the Sussexes is a waste of energy.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
An interesting article from Grazia UK

https://graziadaily.co.uk/amp/celebr...mpression=true

Wishing for the complete destruction of the Sussexes is a waste of energy.
Thank you Madame Verseau for providing the article with a more sympathetic opinion towards Harry and Meghan.

The author of this article (Guy Pewsey) tried to equate Harry and Meghan's action with the Queen's statement at Welsh Assembly, showed his lack of understanding of the constitutional monarchy. The speech at the Welsh Assembly was written by someone else, not from Her Majesty herself. It is similar to the Queen's speech in the State Opening of Parliament, which is written by the Prime Minister, but read out by the Queen.
Besides, popping their heads above the parapet to encourage people to vote, being very careful to resist naming any names, is actually no breach at all. In 2003, after a low turnout in the Welsh Assembly vote, The Queen herself intervened. 'It is vital to the health both of the United Kingdom and of Wales that our democratic institutions flourish and adapt,' she said in an address. 'I share your concerns that we must encourage all our people to exercise their right to vote. This is a real challenge now before us all.' Would critics have been satisfied if Harry and Meghan had simply repeated these words by rote? No, of course they wouldn't.
Omid Scobie has also made this stupid mistake and trying to shift the blame towards The Queen.
https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1297949971782627331
Old 09-23-2020, 11:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
My first gut reaction was that Harry is turning into Meghan's parrot. It happens when one person in the marriage is a leader and the other is a follower. Dominant/recessive kind of thing.
I agree. I watched the clip without the volume, and he was constantly looking at her as if to see if he had her approval, like a puppy dog. At least that is what it looked like to me. Also, the statement Buckingham Palace released is not enough. Although it says that H & M are not working member of the royal family, they are still Commonwealth Ambassadors.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Buckingham Palace has somewhat responded, according to Chris Ship (ITV news royal editor)
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Asked about Harry’s comments, Buckingham Palace would only say: “The Duke is not a working member of the Royal Family and any comments he makes are made in a personal capacity.”
Sounds to me like they are seeking some distance
1:36 AM · Sep 24, 2020 · Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...92275598802949

Other reporters were more cynical. For example Rebecca English (Daily Mail) and Camilla Tominey (The Telegraph)

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
Buckingham Palace have told me that they are not commenting on this, adding: ‘The Duke is not a working member of the Royal Family and any comments he makes are made in a personal capacity.’
Which I personally think IS a comment in itself.
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...92451658907653

Camilla has published two tweets with two different articles attached individually
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
'He is not a working member of the #RoyalFamily', says Palace after #Harry jumps into US voting drive #HarryandMeghan
4:52 AM · Sep 24, 2020 · Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/CamillaTominey/s...41798106832898

Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
It’s hard to see any way back into the #Royal family for #HarryandMeghan after risky decision to appear in US voting video
4:54 AM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/CamillaTominey/s...42180048572418

The two articles attached to Camilla tweets are
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...e_Av77p3vMrVg8(For first tweet)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...e_Av8DRrmT1yvj(For second tweet)

Russel Myers (Royal Editor for the Daily Mirror and Royal commentator for Lorraine) has not responded to the Buckingham Palace's release, but has tweeted out earlier
Russell Myers @rjmyers
In a rare moment for a member of the royal family to comment on politics, Prince Harry urges Americans to 'vote against hate' in the upcoming US election
7:15 PM · Sep 23, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/rjmyers/status/1308696381578768384

The attached article to his tweet: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...paign=sharebar
I agree with Rebecca that BP’s non-statement is a statement.

This is what Harry wanted - total freedom to do as he wished. As an American, though, I don’t like it at all that he’s getting involved. It’s not his country, he has no idea what the issues are...and while I absolutely believe everyone should vote, who wants to hear from him?

I don’t understand why he gets to keep his title (same with Meghan) when he has complete divested himself of anything to do with the Royals - in terms of The Firm, not family- or the UK
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofkingsandqueens View Post
THIS is the part of Harry's comment that irked me the most. I have no problem with influential people getting out the vote, but does Harry forget that he's a literal prince? His title is in direct opposition to the democratic process of voting, of course he couldn't vote. How can he victimize himself when the United States is battling a pandemic, racial tension, and a polarizing election? I'm amazed no one stop him from saying this.
Keep in mind this is a man who apparently thought he was a prisoner of his a Royal life (I’m referring to the title of Finding Freedom)...He’s also not exactly known for his brains. Hence, I’m not surprised that Harry would make such a statement.