The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^I've seen Sophie in dress pants on occasion but AFAIK she's the only one who seems to do it. Anne and Kate seem to keep them for casual events where they might be needed.

Camilla has worn them a few times, IIRC mostly on tours in middle eastern countries. Seemed appropriate when she did.

It's funny, but I was thinking exactly the same thing regarding the wearing of smart trousers on official engagements. Catherine would look marvellous in them, with a pair of nice heals and a smart jacket.
Elly C is right that now is the time for Catherine to be experimental and try some different things before she really has to conform too much!

I thought she looked lovely and appropriate when she was at Wimbledon.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 -

In general, I think most posts about Catherine's day-time fashion are quite positive and personally when I see negative comments, I kind of can see that point of view too.

The problem as I see it is that Catherine is considered just as high profile and of the same status royally (as well as fashion-wise) as people such as Maxima, Mathilde, Letizia and Mary - whereas the fact of the matter is that she is not and should therefore not be seen or judged in the same way until she becomes the equivalent of a crown princess.

Catherine has done well so far to navigate what is appropriate, what is fashionable, what is British etc etc. At special occasions such as Trooping the Colour, she wears special, more haute couture clothing, with a more defined hairstyle, all of which I guess is what she will wear more often when she becomes Princess of Wales.

I don't think she needs a stylist as such, certainly not in her current position, but I will expect her to have a full army of dressers, stylists and fashion advisors on hand 24/7 when her status is eventually elevated!

Thank you for a very common sense and truthful post. There is a huge difference between honest criticism when Kate blows it, which really does not happen that often, and what has been posted in here lately. Good Lord, you would have thought she'd stripped and ran through Kensington Gardens streaking from some of the venom in here at times.

Give me "Boring, conservative, Dressing older than she is..." (And that one gave me a good laugh, as she's actually on point for what's hot right now.) Duchess any day and twice on Sunday!! I will quite happily have someone out there like Kate showing young girls it is not only possible to look like an elegant Lady, but to also look like an elegant Lady and be cool doing it too, than those trashy sisters whose last name begins w/the letter "K" and look like street walkers most of the time.

Does that mean there aren't things that need work? No, of course not, but they are pretty minor compared to what could have been. Work on posture? Yes, but I have noticed on solo events at the start she tends to hunch her shoulders, then as things go on and she relaxes, they do go back down. Something w/out a doubt that needs addressed, but I'll bet she's not even aware of doing it as it's one of those things you don't really realize you do when nervous. Or at least Kate does.

Now, the hair I'll agree on to a point. Yes, it truly needs about four or five inches lopped off, as it has gotten to a point of being a bit too long, but It's her hair and that...Well, that and her ability to wear yellow so well...is one thing I envy her so much over. I used to have hair like that, but one side effect of my Transplant meds are possible hair loss. I'm not bald, but I'll never be able to have long hair again either due it being so thin, there was no way to hide my scalp when it was pulled back when I did have it long. Anyway...It is Kate's hair though and if she, and also William, prefer it like this then..Doesn't really matter what we think.

Now the eyeliner truly needs scaled back, ITA w /everyone on that one. I often wonder how Kate would look w/a nice Tawny brown liner on. It would certainly help those Hazel eyes pop more than the heavy black does IMO.

Is this a thread to discuss our opinions about how she looks? Yes, but there is a huge difference between what the intent of the thread is and how some of the people around here interpret that. AFAIC spiteful, nasty comments is not, never has been and never shall be "criticism".

Some are good for a laugh from time to time though.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I agree with much of this. In my opinion, brown liner is more flattering for most women, unless they have darker complexions than Catherine.

Catherine's clothing is fashionable but on the conservative side. It is very appropriate because she is representing the Queen and her country--she isn't a reality show star. She wears what many women wear to work, especially those who work in more traditional settings, such as a bank.

Regarding the hair, it would probably look great if she cut off a few inches, but I think the length is fine. I wish she would wear it up or half up/half down more often because I want to see the earrings.

Last edited:
Kate's hair is perfect just how it is; I actually wouldn't mind if it was longer.

I love the white dress. Perfect for a tennis match, and the hair is very pretty. Curls look good on Catherine.

I like Catherine's pink dress, the colour suits her a lot. I don't have a problem with her hair, it's nice. I'm not sure how I feel about her white dress - I wasn't a huge fan of it when I first saw it in Sydney, although now it's growing on me, but am not too crazy about the lacy pattern. :ermm:

Kate's hair is perfect just how it is; I actually wouldn't mind if it was longer.

I think Catherine will keep her hair long for the rest of her thirties then maybe go down the route CP Mary did by having it more layered - at least I think that's what Mary did as she got older :ermm:

British RF women are weird, they mostly don't change their hair.

Last edited:
Kate is gorgeous with a stunning slim body. But she dresses like an old woman and looks like an old woman. Her posture is simply awful.

She should stand tall and dress her age.

Kate is gorgeous with a stunning slim body. But she dresses like an old woman and looks like an old woman. Her posture is simply awful.

She should stand tall and dress her age.

Sigh. Another one.

Catherine's dresses and skirts are several inches above the knee and she is generally wearing extremely high heels--hardly the style of an "old woman."

I think some posters need to stop watching 10-year old Sex and the City reruns and combing People magazine for pictures of B-celebrities--few young professional women actually wear those types of clothes to work. If those posters would actually walk into shops or visit websites that cater to young professional women, they will find that her style is very fashionable now. It's not fashion forward--she isn't on the cutting edge--but she is wearing what many young women are wearing.

Catherine is 32, not 22, and she doesn't dress like a 22 year old. She also does not dress like a reality show celebrity. She dresses like many young professionals do today, which is appropriate for someone representing her Queen and her country. I also agree with the theory that Catherine wants to look nice but prefers the media focus on the event, whether it be a charity or Wimbledon, rather than her clothes.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:
Sigh. Another one.

Catherine's dresses and skirts are several inches above the knee and she is generally wearing extremely high heels--hardly the style of an "old woman."

I think some posters need to stop watching 10-year old Sex and the City reruns and combing People magazine for pictures of B-celebrities--few young professional women actually wear those types of clothes to work. If some posters would actually walk into shops that cater to young professional women they will find that her style is very fashionable now. It's not fashion forward--she isn't on the cutting edge--but she is wearing what many young women are wearing.

Catherine is 32, not 22, and she doesn't dress like a 22 year old. She also does not dress like a reality show celebrity. She dresses like many young professionals do today, which is appropriate for someone representing her Queen and her country. I also agree with the theory that Catherine wants to look nice but prefers the media focus on the event, whether it be a charity or Wimbledon, rather than her clothes.

I won't get offended mate. Much worse is usually levelled on Letizia to be offended. Catherine's still dresses like an old woman....she's 32 not 52.

(...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't get offended mate. Much worse is usually levelled on Letizia to be offended. Catherine's still dresses like an old woman....she's 32 not 52.

I'm glad you are not offended. I am 53. I am not overweight but I am not as slender as Catherine (few women are). I would never wear the styles Catherine wears and none of my friends would wear them either. We would look ridiculous.

I'm glad you are not offended. I am 53. I am not overweight but I am not as slender as Catherine (few women are). I would never wear the styles Catherine wears and none of my friends would wear them either. We would look ridiculous.

Like you I'm 53, with a few more kg than Catherine and enjoying having fun with style.

I can't believe she actually allowed herself to be seen in ringlets.

I am from a very informal country and I don't see any differences between how the Duchess dresses and how high profile business women do here, except they also wear pant suits and don't wear hats. The only thing I would advise her is to put her hair behind her shoulders; I even think it is not necessary to shorten its lenght. The only "royal"? who dresses her hair in front of her face I know of is Tatiana Santo Domingo.

Last edited:
I wouldn't wear ringlets either. They are too young for a 53 year old woman. I also wouldn't wear short skirts and dresses or very high heels like Catherine does. That is the style of a younger woman although some older women do wear shorter skirts thinking it makes them look young.

My teenaged daughter recently came home with a floral print dress, which is also not my style, but prints are coming back. Fashion is not frozen. The styles that were in 2 or 3 years ago are out. Some things that haven't been in style for 30 years come back. That is how the designers keep people buying new clothes.

I am from a very informal country and I don't see any differences between how the Duchess dresses and how hight profile business women do here, except they also wear pant suits and don't wear hats. The only thing I would advise her is to put her hair behind her shoulders; I even think it is not necessary to shorten its lenght. The only "royal"? who dresses her hair in front of her face I know of is Tatiana Santo Domingo.

The British do like their hats. I don't look good in hats but I like to see them on other women. A hat can really complete an outfit. I tend to wear a lot of pantsuits but younger women seem to prefer dresses and skirts.

It looks like Catherine has cut a few inches off her hair in the last day or so. It seems a little shorter anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1373623/kate-middleton-dress.jpg

I don't like the green frock, its recycled from the NZ tour. It looks as shapeless as a potatoe sack and I hate the zipper.

I do agree that Kate has an awful posture (hair in the face doesnt help) and that she dresses much older than her age. Camilla and QEII dress more chic, using accessories etc to their advantage. IMO Kate dresses really dull and boring, she should use an advisor for fashion, sometimes it works wonder, see the York girls when they are advised.

I don't like the green frock, its recycled from the NZ tour. It looks as shapeless as a potatoe sack and I hate the zipper.

I do agree that Kate has an awful posture (hair in the face doesnt help) and that she dresses much older than her age. Camilla and QEII dress more chic, using accessories etc to their advantage. IMO Kate dresses really dull and boring, she should use an advisor for fashion, sometimes it works wonder, see the York girls when they are advised.

I don't like this look either (although the color is great), but I don't think it would look good on most older woman either.

We may be talking about different things. I agree that Catherine would look better if she used a brown eyeliner. But, generally, her clothes are an appropriate cut, length and style for her age. The Queen and Camilla do not wear the short, fitted dresses and skirts that Catherine does because those are styles for younger women.

On the other hand, Catherine is a minimalist when it comes to accessories--sometimes that works for her and sometimes it doesn't.

For the Tour de France Grande Depart, Kate is wearing surprisingly quite a formal green dress coat compared to William & Harry's jeans and open neck shirt. She looks good though.

Getty Images: Le Tour de France 2014 - Stage One

I agree it was a bit more formal than I was expecting. Perhaps she intended to wear only the print dress underneath which would have been more in line with Will and Harry's attire. My thought is she had worn the coat for on/off the helicopter - the fitted coat with the zipper would prevent a 'wardrobe malfunction' and maybe it was cooler or windier than expected in Leeds.

maybe we will see the dress solo later in the day at on of the other appearances

Oh that is so cute William Kate and Harry. Brings a smile to my face....ok about her clothes. Think it would have been nicer if the dress fit a little tighter around the middle. And is she wearing stockings? How the heck does she not get a run in those things?

Oh that is so cute William Kate and Harry. Brings a smile to my face....ok about her clothes. Think it would have been nicer if the dress fit a little tighter around the middle. And is she wearing stockings? How the heck does she not get a run in those things?

I’ve been wondering about that as well. Especially since I think she wears really thin ones. I get a run in mine by simply looking at them.. :ermm:

I agree it was a bit more formal than I was expecting. Perhaps she intended to wear only the print dress underneath which would have been more in line with Will and Harry's attire. My thought is she had worn the coat for on/off the helicopter - the fitted coat with the zipper would prevent a 'wardrobe malfunction' and maybe it was cooler or windier than expected in Leeds.

maybe we will see the dress solo later in the day at on of the other appearances

Remember she is going to be presenting the very first Yellow Jersey for this year's Tour de France in a little while. That could explain the more formal look for her compared to the two lovely accessories she brought along w/her. ;)

I thought I'd seen the coat before. I have a similar opinion on it as I did during the tour - I love the colour but think the zip ruins it a little and am not a huge fan of the pattern/lines.

I've never given her posture much thought before and don't have a problem with it. I don't think she dresses like an older woman at all (with the exception of her outfit shown in the Just Jared photos, I didn't like that dress), but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :flowers: I also think her style is fine, and she often has some great choices. I don't think she is as elegant as Mary or Mathilde however, but she isn't bad.

Kate kept the coat firmly zipped up right through the day including for the presentation of the yellow jersey. Very odd as it was a sunny day and she clearly had a dress underneath (you could occasionally glimpse the hemline underneath). This is the first engagement of Kate's that IMO she has misjudged the occasion. I remember the Olympic torch ceremony in London, which I'd class as a similar event, and she was very casually dressed.

The zipper seems to be 'the thing' in fashion these days. Sofia Helqvist's dress at her engagement interview had a full-length zipper in the back. I guess those of us who are not keen on it are betraying a fuddy-duddy tendency because Kate's dress is right there with current fashion.

I agree with others that what Kate is wearing is a pure business ensemble. I could see myself wearing such to an important business meeting.

I couldn't help thinking that she is very much 'zipped up' - no way is that dress going to have a 'malfunction'. I am not all that old but even I can no longer wear heels - and I do like her shoes in these photos.

Camilla does a great job with her clothes and her hats imo - especially her hats. But the Queen - not so much. Her ensembles are basically the same with different cuts of cloth. One ensemble at Ascot - the blue one, I think - with the hat with flowers - was almost a caricature of 'what the Queen would wear'. The hats with flowers are becoming a source of giggles, me fears. :ermm: But I digress.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 14: May 2014 -

Sorry, I disagree. A summer dress/ casual jacket would have been a better choice I think and the pictures support this - I don't see anyone else in a coat :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom