Sex, name, godparents and Duchy for Carl-Philip and Sofia's 1st child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Carl Philip and Sofia's first child

• Boy

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Girl

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Twins - Boy, Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins - Girl, Girl

• Twins - Boy, Girl

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Names for a boy: Bertil Carl Gustaf Erik

Names for a girl:
Lilly Silvia Victoria Marie

Duchy: Dalarna

Godparents:
Crown Princess Victoria
Lina Hellqvist
Carl Philip's cousin or his witness on the wedding
Male friend or relative of Sofia

I think baby boy

Boy : Carl Gustaf Axel
Girl : Silvia Victoria Marie

Godparents:
Crown Princess Victoria
Lina Hellqvist

I'm guessing it's a girl

Girl: Linnéa Marie Renate Ingrid
Boy: Carl Theodor Oscar Bertil

Godparents:
Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel
Lina Hellqvist and Jonas Frejd

They have stated they will not find out the sex of the baby it will be a surprise.

Honestly I think they will try and out royal Vic any way they can. They wont go the untraditional route like Estelle. This baby will have a royal name and as many royal godparents as possible. They certainly wont go Maddie's route of non-royal godparents IMO.

Boy:

Prince Carl Bertil Gustaf Erik
Carl: for the long line of Swedish princes including CP and his dad
Bertil: for CP's Uncle he and Sofia are constantly compared to
Gustaf: for the king
Erik: for Sofia's dad

Girl:

Princess Louise Silvia Marie Victoria
Louise: for Queen Louise
Silvia and Marie: the grandmothers
Victoria: aunt and likely godmother

Godparents:
Victoria
Lena
CP best man
two minor royals who they can get to be, like Hubertus and possibly someone like Marie of Denmark
if they go the six route like Maddie, than Sofia may get a friend in there

Last edited:
:previous: Which Queen Louise are you referring to? Louise Mountbatten? I have a difficult time seeing why they would honour her instead of CG's actual grandmother, Margaret of Connaught. Or Louise of the Netherlands? Why would either of them have any strong feelings about her? I'm just curious as to whether I've missed something.

I'll personally be surprised if they choose any foreign royal godparents. I don't believe CP is close to any other European royals so I reckon it would be very awkward to ask someone he doesn't really know to be godparent of his child. Not that I would mind, the more royal godparents the merrier, I just think it's unlikely.

The choice of royal godparents rarely seems to reflect any personal relationship. Vic serves for any number of royal children, and other than Haakon and Fred, I don't think she has a personal relationship with any of them beyond 'heir events'. CP and Sofia made a point of inviting a number of foreign royals to their wedding. So yes I'd be surprised if they didn't include a foreign royal or two. Maybe a Scandi or two as the royal houses are so connected.

As for the baby's name, I don't think 'personal bond' is always a major concern in choosing a baby's name. A family name seems to be key in most royal families. Victoria caused a stir by choosing a family name based on personal bond instead of a traditional family name. There have been plenty of Louise's most importantly Louise Mountbattan. Yes she was a stepmother, but she was the one who CG would have actually known growing up, his actual grandmother having died when his father was in his young teens. Princess Christina was named in part for her stepgrandmother, and Margaretha (Sibylla Louise) Desiree (Kristina-Louise) and Birgitta (Desiree has further down name) have all given their daughters it as a middle name. There have of course been other Louise like Louise of the Netherlands and Louise of Prussia (mother of Charles III) in the family tree

Part of me thinks they may avoid a first name currently in use in the royal family, as is Margaretha already is, why I went the route Louise.

Last edited:
Lilian Silvia Marie Alice (Lily)

Carl Erik Oscar Gustav

Sara Hellqvist, a friend of Sofia, Jonas Frejd, Jan-Åke Hansson
If boy Victoria and Manuel of Bavaria, if a girl Madeleine and Daniel

Lilian Silvia Marie Alice (Lily)

Carl Erik Oscar Gustav

Sara Hellqvist, a friend of Sofia, Jonas Frejd, Jan-Åke Hansson
If boy Victoria and Manuel of Bavaria, if a girl Madeleine and Daniel

Considering all the 'Madeleine hates Sofia' stories that have been sold, I have trouble seeing Maddie chosen. I think CP and Sofia will want the future queen as godmother, no matter the sex of the baby.

Girl: Sibylla Lillian ingebourg Victoria
Duchy: Halland&Narke
Godparent: Victoria or Madeline , One of Sofia's sister, A close friend to the couple, one foreign royal, A close friend to Sofia, A close friend to Carl

Boy: Lenard Adolph Philip Oscar
Duchy: Smaland or Upland
Godparent: Same as if it is a girl

If the baby is a girl and the girl has Marie as a middlename, all the three siblings have named their firstborn children after Maria. Estelle has as last middlename Mary, Leonore has as last middlename Maria. Only Marie is now missing.

If the baby is a girl and the girl has Marie as a middlename, all the three siblings have named their firstborn children after Maria. Estelle has as last middlename Mary, Leonore has as last middlename Maria. Only Marie is now missing.
If you with Maria mean that Victoria's and Madeleine's daughters have had their names chosen after the virgin Mary, it might be true with Leonore (as Chris, and probably also his mother, are Catholics), but Estelle's name is after her godmother crown princess Mary.

I wouldn't rule out Madeleine as godmother. The stories about Sofia and Madeleine are probably just that. Stories made up to sell papers.
I am still liking Lilian for a girl and not sure about a boy's name. CP appears to be very close to his godfather Prince Leopold so that may be reflected in the names( there will be at least three I suspect.)

If you with Maria mean that Victoria's and Madeleine's daughters have had their names chosen after the virgin Mary, it might be true with Leonore (as Chris, and probably also his mother, are Catholics), but Estelle's name is after her godmother crown princess Mary.

Leonore is in all probability named after her paternal grandmother Eva Maria O'Neill.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Leonore is in all probability named after her paternal grandmother Eva Maria O'Neill.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Eva O'Neill's mother was Maria Walter (nee Michl). Eva's older daughter is Tatjana Maria Margareta Nina d'Abo. Tatjana's daughters are Anoushka Maria Violet and Celina Maria Isabel. Eva's other daughter is Natascha Abensperg und Traun, I haven't found her whole name, but one of her daughters is Milana Maria Tatjana.

Last edited:
Considering all the 'Madeleine hates Sofia' stories that have been sold, I have trouble seeing Maddie chosen. I think CP and Sofia will want the future queen as godmother, no matter the sex of the baby.

While I agree that Victoria will be the baby's godmother (because she's CP's oldest sibling), I don't understand your argumentation for ruling Madeleine out as a godmother. You said it yourself – "stories", these are tabloid stories, why should we believe them? Leonore was clearly comfortable around Sofia at the King's birthday and if there were hard feelings between Madeleine and Sofia, I highly doubt they would exchange as many smiles as they did that day.

Because there is some basis for the tension between them. You can see it in how they interact. Sofia and CP if they choose either of CP's sisters it will be Victoria, the eldest and future queen.

I think that this baby will be a boy. I When it comes to the names of the swedish royal children I am at loss. I would think something along these lines: Oskar Carl Erik. Godparents: Victoria, Lina Hellqvist, a friend of CP and one of Sofia. No idea about a fifth godparent.

I think princess Sofia will give birth to a boy next april. ;)

Name / Duchy
HRH Prince Carl Johan (or Carl Hugo) Bertil Oscar , Duke of Närke

Godparents
Prince Daniel of Sweden
Sara Hellqvist
Prince Joachim of Denmark
One of close friends of Carl Philip or Sofia
Oscar Magnuson

For a Prince: Erik, Johann
For a Princess: Sybilla

Because there is some basis for the tension between them. You can see it in how they interact. Sofia and CP if they choose either of CP's sisters it will be Victoria, the eldest and future queen.

When was this tension supposed to show? When a clearly grateful heavily pregnant Madeleine let Sofia hold Leonore twice at CG's birthday last year? I just don't understand where you see this tension?

Yes because an overly pregnant woman with a squiring toddler is going to turn down help?Sure,true sign of sisterly love. You are entitled to your fairy tale fantasies of the perfect Princess Sofia and her instant acceptance and love from the sisters. As much as I am entitled to see plenty of photos where Maddie looks tense and even pissed at the woman.

:previous: I have never said you aren't entitled to your opinion, I have asked on what you base your assumptions because I am genuinely curious as to what makes you think there's tension between the two. And frankly, the fact that you feel the need to resort to calling my inquiries "fairy tale fantasies of the perfect Princess Sofia" and not actually back up your claims speaks volumes of your theory :)

I'm tipping a boy, born in March.

Prince Carl Bertil Erik Leopold, Duke of Halland
Prince Carl Oscar Bertil Edmund, Duke of Halland

Godparents: Princess Victoria, Sara Hellqvist, Prince Frederik, two cousins/friends and maybe another royal.

If a girl:

Princess Sibylla Victoria Marie Silvia, Duchess of Dalarna
Princess Ingrid Silvia Marie Estelle, Duchess of Dalarna

My piano/vocal teacher's middle name is Yvonne (the French female form of Ivan), her sister's first name is Juanita, and their brother's name is John; all are different forms of the same name.

I don't know what to call on Carl Philip and Sofia's baby.

I don't see Madeleine as godmother because the reported bad blood between Sofia and Madeleine, especially involving Emma Pernauld. The press blamed Sofia for banning Emma from Nicolas' christening, and that's tough considering Madeleine and Emma are friends.

I don't see Madeleine as godmother because the reported bad blood between Sofia and Madeleine, especially involving Emma Pernauld. The press blamed Sofia for banning Emma from Nicolas' christening, and that's tough considering Madeleine and Emma are friends.

Or, Carl Philip will make simply as his sisters made and will choose the elder sister as her first child.

first child Victoria (Estelle- Carl Philip)
second child (certainly Madeleine)

first child Madeleine (Leonore-Victoria)
Nicolas-Carl Philip

first child Carl Philip (Victoria ?)

It is logical and not need to take out 'dramatic' stories

I like the names in Sofia's family and hope they choose the names from her family I like - Sofia's name is Sofia Kristina Hellqvist, her father's name is Erik Oscar Hellqvist and her mother's name is Marie Britt Rotman and I think her grandmother is also named Britt.

Girl: I am really hoping that if it is a girl she will be named Kristina and I hope Britt is one of the names as well.

Boy: I like Carl Erik Bertil Philip

Godparent: The odds certainly favor that Victoria will be a godmother and one of Sofia's sister. Other candidates include Barbro Ehnbom (Sofia's mentor), Jan-Åke Hansson (Carl Philip's best man) and also the uniformed man who has been pictured with Carl Philip a few times.

Last edited:
I wish for a baby boy.
Name:
Gustaf Philip ,Carl Gustaf , Gustaf Leopold, Philip Leopold, Edmund Leopold or maybe Carl Leopold.
For a baby Girl i like Sibylla "Sibylle" or Margaretha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom