Names and godparents for Félix and Claire's third child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biri

Imperial Majesty
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
Now with the happy announcement from the Luxemburg Grand Ducal Court we may start a new thread.

My suggestions:

Girl: Carolina Alexandra Maria
Boy: David Felix Patrick

Godparents: Prince Louis and a friend or cousin of Claire.

Last edited:
Princess Aliénor Marie Josephine Marguerite
Prince Jean Gabriel Marie Guillaume

Godparents: Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume
Andrea Latten

Hard to predict names since they went trendy first names for their first two kids. Middle names were for their parents.

They didn't even use Marie as the Lux royals usually do. So I'd be surprised if they broke it out now.

Amelia-popular name
Gabriele-Claire's mom
Maria Theresa- Grand duchess

Liam-popular name
Henri- Grand duke
Hartmut-Claire's father

I'd be genuinely shocked if we see anything traditional royal for a first name, like Jean or Alienor. May throw a Marie in there as a middle, as a nod to the family. As middle names have been family.

Emma, Mia, Mila, Olivia and Chloe are the most popular names in Luxembourg for girls. The only boy's name in top 5 not in use in the royal family is Leo (Louis, Noah, Gabriel and Liam are the other 4). Things like Raphael are also popular.

I predict something more like:

Princess Emma Margaretha Charlotte

Prince Raphael Jean Marie (Or a name from Claire's family instead of Marie)

Godparents:

Amelia has Alexandra and Felix Lademacher
Liam has Sebastian and Anna Maria-Pamin (one of the wedding witnesses)

I see either

Prince Louis and one of Claire's other female friends like Maria Sanchez or Lola Toscani (her other two wedding witnesses)

Or no royal siblings this time and a friend from both Felix and Claire. Maybe Don Lawrence Doimi de Frankopan who is a long time friend of the royal family. He was a witness for both Guillaume and Felix's weddings, and his daughters were flower girls for Claire. He is Lady Nicholas Windsor's brother.

Their eldest daughter is called Amalia (like the Princess of Orange - and a Nassau family name: Amalia van Solms), not Amelia.

If they continue to work with the letters a, i, l and m as they did for their first two children, there are several options - to list a few (in bold those using all four letters):
Boys: Ali, Alim, Amil, Ilai, Imma, Ilam, Lam, Lim, Mal, Mil
Girls: Alaila, Alala, Aila, Alia, Aima, Amama, Imima, Imma, Immama, Immi, Immila, Laila, Lamia, Lim, Lila, Lili, Maila, Mia, Mimi, Mila, Mili, Milla

So far:
Amalia Gabriela Maria Theresa
Liam Henri Hartmut

So, the grandparents were already included, so they might indeed go one generation further back for their third child for middle names: Charlotte for a girl (both Josephine Charlotte and reigning grand duchess Charlotte - whose husband was called Félix) and Jean for a boy (on Félix side) or they could use the names of siblings (Felicia would be a great female alternative for Félix but I doubt they use it) or include one of their own names: in Claire's case that could be her second name Margaretha (also a name in the GD family) - in Félix' case using his own name would also be a nod to his brother-in-law.

Lili/Lily/Layla Margareta Charlotte
Elias Jean Félix

And for godparents I assume Louis for Félix (although he could of course also pick Guillaume) as godfather and one of the above mentioned witnesses/friends of Claire as godmother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy:
Jules Jean Félix

Godparents: Princess Maria-Anunciata of Liechtenstein + a male friend/relative from Claire's side

Girl:
Chloë Margareta Joséphine

Godparents: Prince Gabriel of Nassau + a female friend/relative from Claire's side

Boy: Robert or Jean
Girl: Henriette, Charlotte or Josephine

"Amalia" has a history in the Nassau family such that it was an appropriate name for the next generation's heir at the time, so not just trendy.

"Liam" is an Irish name but originates from the influences of Germanic Willahelm and French Guillaume, a common name for Luxembourg royals. Liam is spelled with letters found in the name Amalia.

Claire was raised as a Lutheran, so probably doesn't view the name "Marie" in the same light as if she was brought up Catholic.

GD Henri's sister, Margaretha, has "Félicité" as a middle name, in honor of her grandfather, Prince Felix. It means great happiness or joy.

Lovely that this will be a tenth anniversary baby, just like Alexandra was for Henri and Maria Teresa.

My predictions:
Girl: Mila Alexandra Claire
Boy: Luca Felix Guillaume (Claire's brother is also named Felix.)

Last edited:
Claire was raised as a Lutheran, so probably doesn't view the name "Marie" in the same light as if she was brought up Catholic.

Was she really? Claire and Felix married only in a Catholic ceremony for their religious wedding and I never heard of her converting.

I don't know royal names, but I think about - it's only a joke - Kevin or Justine. ;) ;) ;)

Don't kill me. ;) ;) ;)

Joke over.

I hope for a girl named Alexandra or a boy named Alexander.

I have no idea for the godparents, sorry.

Andrea

Their eldest daughter is called Amalia (like the Princess of Orange - and a Nassau family name: Amalia van Solms), not Amelia.

"Amalia" has a history in the Nassau family such that it was an appropriate name for the next generation's heir at the time, so not just trendy.

Amalia was also the given name of the princess who was the de facto first lady of Luxembourg from 1850 to 1872. King Willem III of the Netherlands, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, appointed his brother Hendrik as his lieutenant, or official representative, in Luxembourg. The arrangement meant that Hendrik and his wife Amalia resided in Luxembourg where they were effectively the grand-ducal couple in the absence of the king. As such, Amalia would been a very suitable Luxembourg royal name for a grand duchess, in my opinion.

Honestly I have zero idea but it's always fun to search possible names.:D

I guess no.3 will have a name similar to his/her brother, having a name which is a variant/short form of a tradition family name.

First name -
Boy: Leo (from Felix's middle name Leopold)/ Michel (from Miguel) / Theo (from Theodor) / Oscar / Victor
Girl: Rita (from Claire's middle name Margareta) / Ada (from Adelaide)/ Elisa (from Elisabeth) / Zita (start with "A" and end with "Z" if it'll be their last child ?)

Middle name -
Boy: Felix Jean, or Guillaume Philipp
Girl: Margareta Anna, or Sophia Charlotte

Last edited:
Was she really? Claire and Felix married only in a Catholic ceremony for their religious wedding and I never heard of her converting.

This is also the first time I have read that Claire had a Lutheran upbringing.

Claire did her doctorate at a Roman Catholic (Pontifical) University in Rome: Pontifical Athenaeum Regina Apostolorum, so it would be more likely that she was Roman Catholic at that point.

I assume that 'Bioethics' is a field that is pretty complicated to study at such a university if you don't agree with the Roman Catholic stance yourself.

For a girl : Princess Verena Marie Élisabeth of Nassau
For a boy : Prince Benoît Léopold Guillaume of Nassau

Godparents : Duchess of Brabant , One of close male friends or relatives from the couple

I'm hoping a little sister for Amalia in this year:princess3:

For a girl : Princess Verena Marie Élisabeth of Nassau
For a boy : Prince Benoît Léopold Guillaume of Nassau

Godparents : Duchess of Brabant , One of close male friends or relatives from the couple

I'm hoping a little sister for Amalia in this year:princess3:

I guess a prince of Luxembourg

Hard to predict names since they went trendy first names for their first two kids. Middle names were for their parents.

They didn't even use Marie as the Lux royals usually do. So I'd be surprised if they broke it out now.

Amelia-popular name
Gabriele-Claire's mom
Maria Theresa- Grand duchess

Liam-popular name
Henri- Grand duke
Hartmut-Claire's father

I'd be genuinely shocked if we see anything traditional royal for a first name, like Jean or Alienor. May throw a Marie in there as a middle, as a nod to the family. As middle names have been family.

Emma, Mia, Mila, Olivia and Chloe are the most popular names in Luxembourg for girls. The only boy's name in top 5 not in use in the royal family is Leo (Louis, Noah, Gabriel and Liam are the other 4). Things like Raphael are also popular.

Leo could definitely be an option as it is also short for Leopold; Felix' second name. Although Liam and Leo could be somewhat alike in pronunciation (depending on the language).

Milan is another popular boy's name apparently; would fit with the other two names but not sure what it could be a nod to.

The little Prince was born yesterday, January 7, and will be named Balthazar Felix Karl.

Last edited:
Well, now the boy was born, I will guess the names of his godparents

Godfather: Felix Lademacher or Prince Louis
Godmother: Princess Alexandra or a Claire's wedding witnesses (Patricia Caspar, Andrea Latten, Maria Sanchez or Lola Toscani)

Last edited:
Felix, Sebastien and Alexandra already are godparents of his siblings; why do you expect them to be called upon again while others (Guillaume and Louis) have not yet been chosen.

Felix, Sebastien and Alexandra already are godparents of his siblings; why do you expect them to be called upon again while others (Guillaume and Louis) have not yet been chosen.

I think that someone from the Grand Ducal Family will be godparent, I don't see someone outside from the Grand Ducal or Lademacher families being godparent

Last edited:
I think that someone from the Grand Ducal Family will be godparent, I don't think someone outside from the Grand Ducal or Lademacher families being godparent

Well, in that case Guillaume and Louis make most sense but I don't think 'Claire's friend' meets your own requirements.

I do expect one of Felix' brothers as godfather (and if not, one of his witnesses (as both Sebastien en Felix Lademacher were also among his witnesses: Peter Cauro, Xavier Cauro, Don Lawrence Doimi de Frankopan) and a friend of Claire as godmother (given that her only sibling was already godfather to Amalia). She had the following witnesses (besides Alexandra and Anna-Maria who were already chosen for Amalia and Liam), so probably one of them: Patricia Caspar, Andrea Latten, Maria Sanchez and Lola Toscani.

Maybe Louis will be godfather, while he still can

Well, in that case Guillaume and Louis make most sense but I don't think 'Claire's friend' meets your own requirements.

I do expect one of Felix' brothers as godfather (and if not, one of his witnesses (as both Sebastien en Felix Lademacher were also among his witnesses: Peter Cauro, Xavier Cauro, Don Lawrence Doimi de Frankopan) and a friend of Claire as godmother (given that her only sibling was already godfather to Amalia). She had the following witnesses (besides Alexandra and Anna-Maria who were already chosen for Amalia and Liam), so probably one of them: Patricia Caspar, Andrea Latten, Maria Sanchez and Lola Toscani.

I could imagine Grand Duke Henri as godfather of his own grandson. I don't know if is allowed

I could imagine Grand Duke Henri as godfather of his own grandson. I don't know if is allowed

Grandparents can be godparents in baptism in the Catholic church. They are not allowed to be sponsors of Confirmation

Next to the immediate family, the following people attended Liam's christening; so, the godparents (especially godmother) might be among them if they don't pick one of Claire's witnesses.

• Son Altesse Sérénissime le Prince Nikolaus de Liechtenstein
  • Son Altesse Royale la Princesse Margaretha de Liechtenstein
  • Son Altesse Sérénissime la Princesse Maria Anunciata de Liechtenstein
  • Son Altesse Sérénissime le Prince Josef de Liechtenstein
  • Son Altesse Sérénissime la Princesse Marie-Astrid de Liechtenstein
  • Son Altesse Sérénissime le Prince Hugo zu Windisch-Graetz
  • Son Altesse Impériale et Royale l’Archiduchesse Sophie zu Windisch-Graetz
  • Son Altesse Sérénissime la Princesse Larissa zu Windisch-Graetz
  • Son Altesse Sérénissime le Prince Lelio Orsini

Last edited:
Grandparents can be godparents in baptism in the Catholic church. They are not allowed to be sponsors of Confirmation

Grandparents can be confirmation sponsors. It is common. Cannon law only says that parents cannot be sponsors (Canon Law 874: 5). However, I have seen parents as sponsors but assume they were standing in for the actual sponsors per Cannon law.

Grandparents can be confirmation sponsors. It is common. Cannon law only says that parents cannot be sponsors (Canon Law 874: 5). However, I have seen parents as sponsors but assume they were standing in for the actual sponsors per Cannon law.

No, grandparents and parents cannot be confirmation sponsors. I wanted my father to be my eldest son's sponsor, and I was told no. I checked with my diocese and archbishop and was told the same thing. My mother had warned me, but I didn't believe her. The church encourages godparents to be sponsors, with the obvious exception of grandparents and parents.

Has HGD Stephanie been named a godparent to any of Felix and Claire's children?

Next to the immediate family, the following people attended Liam's birth; so, the godparents (especially godmother) might be among them if they don't pick one of Claire's witnesses.
Really. Then the birthroom was really crowded :whistling:But i guess you mean they attended his christening and not the birth

Really. Then the birthroom was really crowded :whistling:But i guess you mean they attended his christening and not the birth

Yes, indeed :D

No, grandparents and parents cannot be confirmation sponsors. I wanted my father to be my eldest son's sponsor, and I was told no. I checked with my diocese and archbishop and was told the same thing. My mother had warned me, but I didn't believe her. The church encourages godparents to be sponsors, with the obvious exception of grandparents and parents.

No, the godparents were Princess Alexandra & Felix Lademacher for Amalia and Prince Sebastien & Anna-Maria Pamin for Liam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apologies in advance to the mods as this will be out of topic. Just wanted to ask how Leonor and Sofia had their father as sponsor for their respective confirmations or am i missing something?

Back
Top Bottom