Sex, name, godparents and Duchy for Carl-Philip and Sofia's 1st child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Carl Philip and Sofia's first child

• Boy

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Girl

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Twins - Boy, Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins - Girl, Girl

• Twins - Boy, Girl

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biri

Imperial Majesty
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
As soon as happy news is announced we may start a new thread.

My guesses are:
Boy: Erik Bertil Carl
Girl: Marie Sofia Sara

Duchy: Dalarna

Godparents: Princess Madeleine
Lina Hellqvist
Oscar Magnusson
A female cousin of Sofia
Some friend

My guesses:

Names:
HKH Prinsessan Isabella Silvia Marie Victoria
HKH Prins Carl Erik Daniel Oscar

Duchy: Dalsland

Godparents:
HKH Kronprinsessan Victoria of Sweden
Lina Hellqvist
HKH Prince Manuel of Bavaria
Barbro C. Ehnbom
Jan-Åke Hansson

If a boy:

HRH Prince Carl Erik Bertil of Sweden.

If a girl:

HRH Princess Lilian Silvia Marie of Sweden.

Duchy: Halland.

Godparents:

Prince Daniel of Sweden.
Prince Manuel of Bavaria.
Lina Hellqvist.
A friend of Prince Carl Philip.
A friend of Princess Sofia.

I think it will be boy: Johan Carl Philip. Duke of Halland.

Godparents: Crown Princess Victoria, Lina Hellqvist, a friend of Sofia from Paradise hotel, Prince CP's colleague, Prince Daniel.

Boy:
(if Victoria doesn't use Carl (or Edmund):) Carl Johan Bertil Erik
(if Victoria use Carl:) Bertil Oscar Gustaf Erik

Girl:
Johanna Silvia Lilian Marie

Duchy:
Dalarna (without a doubt in my mind)

Godparents:
Crown Princess Victoria
Lina Hellqvist
Hereditary Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
Frida Vesterberg or Madeleine Rahm
Jan-Åke Hansson

Last edited:
A poll has been added to the start of the thread.

Boy, with a very traditional SRF name, such as Carl-Bertil, but definitely Carl as the first name. This is regardless of the name Victoria chooses should she have a boy.

Carl-Something. Perhaps Erik or Oscar, for Sofia's father.

I don't think Victoria will use Carl as a first name, I think she'll leave it for her brother to use for his son (be it this child or a future one).

I do think these two will book the recent trend in the SRF and have a boy first.
For a boy Carl will likely be in there somewhere but it may well be Prince Oscar with a Philip or Erik at long odds for middle names. There are more choices for girls' names and quite a lot of Swedish parents are not choosing traditional ones nowadays. I do like Astrid and Sylvia though, with perhaps Lilly. The godparents will almost certainly include the parents' sisters on both sides.

Just i want if is boy Bertil and if is girl Lilian. Of cource the godparents the only sure are Victoria and one sister of Sofia.

I like the sound of Prince Carl Oscar Erik Philip

I'll have to think some more before I make any guesses.

I just want to point out that a couple of the "Carl Something" suggestions aren't very likely, because of their associations to Swedes. I'm afraid we would poke way too much fun at the poor prince's name. ;)

Carl Bertil = Karl-Bertil Jonsson, the main character in a short film that's been broadcast every Christmas Eve since 1975 in Sweden. Quote a Prince Carl Bertil would have to hear a lot: I've nurtured a communist at my bosom!

Carl Oscar = Karl Oskar in Vilhelm Mobergs "Emigrants" book series, and the musical "Kristina från Duvemåla" that's based on the series. Quote a Prince Carl Oscar would hear a lot: I can't take it anymore, Karl Oskar!

Something like Carl Axel, Carl Hugo, Carl Johan or Carl Ludvig would work just fine though.

I'll have to think some more before I make any guesses.

I just want to point out that a couple of the "Carl Something" suggestions aren't very likely, because of their associations to Swedes. I'm afraid we would poke way too much fun at the poor prince's name. ;)

Carl Bertil = Karl-Bertil Jonsson, the main character in a short film that's been broadcast every Christmas Eve since 1975 in Sweden. Quote a Prince Carl Bertil would have to hear a lot: I've nurtured a communist at my bosom!

Carl Oscar = Karl Oskar in Vilhelm Mobergs "Emigrants" book series, and the musical "Kristina från Duvemåla" that's based on the series. Quote a Prince Carl Oscar would hear a lot: I can't take it anymore, Karl Oskar!

Something like Carl Axel, Carl Hugo, Carl Johan or Carl Ludvig would work just fine though.
Haha, exactly! :p And especially since double barrelled names are not very common nowdays it would get noticed event more :p

"Jag tyar inte längre, Karl Oscar!!" :p

I think the baby will be a girl. I often guess this for royal babies, but girls seem to be the dominant sex in the SRF. King Carl Gustaf was the only boy out of four girls, and he went on to have two girls and one boy. Victoria and Daniel also have a girl, and so do Madeleine and Chris. Sofia herself also only has sisters and no brothers (IIRC).

If Victoria and Daniel don't use Oscar or Lovisa, then I'm hoping that Sofia and Carl Philip will instead. :D Some combos and other name guesses:

Carl Oscar Gustaf Theo/Teo (no particular reason for Theo/Teo, other than that I don't think Sofia and Carl Philip would choose a traditional name, but then again the SRF are unpredictable when it comes to the names of their children)
Carl Erik Gustaf Bertil (for a more traditional combo, and it would be sweet if they had a boy and his middle name was Bertil because Leonore's middle name is Lilian)
Elias Philip Hugo
Alexander Carl Gustaf Victor

Lovisa Marie Victoria
Emma Silvia Margaretha
Sophie Alice Linnea
Anna Sara Josefine

I suspect they will have a boy, I just see them having a son (first).

BOY - Bertil Gustav Oscar or Oscar Victor Magnus

GIRL - Lillian Silvia Christina or Christina Victoria Lillian

GODPARENTS - Crown Princess Victoria, Lina Hellquist, Chris O'Neill & a male friend of the couple.

I was thinking maybe they could choose Chris O'neill or Prince Daniel as godfathers instead of the predictable Princess Victoria or Princess Madeleine.

They could use a system similar to Madeleine and Chris where they use one sister and then the other sister's husband.

Prince Daniel
Princess Madeleine
Sara Hellqvist
Jonas Frejd
Oscar Magnuson
Stina Andersson

I was thinking maybe they could choose Chris O'neill or Prince Daniel as godfathers instead of the predictable Princess Victoria or Princess Madeleine.

I think Victoria is the safest choice (they seem to choose the oldest sibling for the first baby of the couple in this family), but you are right: we may see Prince Daniel as a godfather. I will never forget Daniel and prince Carl-Phillip standing next to eachother on V&D's wedding day in church. Daniel could have chosen someone else, a good friend, or his own brother-in-law to be his best man. He didn't he choose his soon-to-be brother-in-law. I think this is a sign of their good relationship. I would love to see prince Daniel as a godfather, he seems to be a very kind man.

Seeing how I have nothing to determine their taste in names, other than their dog's name ... I'm totally just gonna make guesses entirely based on the fact that they named their dog Siri and presumably like that name. :p So short, simple, Scandinavian, and both traditional and currently popular. And to go with Victoria's and Madeleine's kids, predictable middle names with more focus on close family than on old royal ancestors. All right.

Boy: Prince Axel Carl Erik Bertil

Girl: Princess Greta Silvia Marie Lilian

Duchy: Dalarna

Godparents:
Crown Princess Victoria
Lina Hellqvist
Frida Vesterberg
A friend of Carl Philip
Some male royal probably

Other first names I considered:
Alvar, Arvid, Bertil, Carl, Folke, Gustaf, Hugo, Ludvig, Olof, Oscar, Vidar, Wilhelm
Alma, Alva, Astrid, Disa, Ebba, Hedda, Ida, Ingrid, Matilda, Märta/Märtha, Saga, Signe, Tyra/Thyra

(And a couple of years ago I would definitely have said Elsa, but, you know ...)

Regardless of the sex of the child, most likely a classical name will be picked out but then again, you might be surprised. The name Lilly has been mentioned on this blog which is a pretty classic name. The name Carl may be used if the baby is a boy.

For Godparents, Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel most likely would be the royal godparents. I would be surprised if Princess Madeleine or her husband Chris would be chosen. The rest will either be friends of Carl Philip and Sophia or one of Sophia's sisters or cousins.

In regards to godparents I think they will choose Victoria (I've gotten the impression Sofia is closer to Victoria than she is to Madeleine, but of course I can't tell for sure), one of Sofia's sisters, a friend of Carl Philip and a friend of Sofia. I don't know who because I'm not knowledgable about their friends.

Regardless of the sex of the child, most likely a classical name will be picked out but then again, you might be surprised. The name Lilly has been mentioned on this blog which is a pretty classic name. The name Carl may be used if the baby is a boy.

I don't think Lilly is that traditional or classic (and the more common spelling is Lily) but then again we all have different opinions on what's classic and what's not. I think it's more vintage, becoming popular in Victorian times, and again in the first half of the twentieth century. Johnny Depp named his daughter Lily-Rose in 1999 and I think that's when it started to shoot up in the charts, though I'm not totally sure. I used to have a great-aunt named Lily and my mother always said how old fashioned she thought it was when she was growing up in the '60s and '70s.

Last edited:
Sofia had a great grandmother named Lilly. I don't think Sofia would name a child after her, as she died 30 years before Sofia was even born, just thought I'd mention it. :) And Lilly is more common than Lily in Sweden, but I suppose they'd rather use Lilian anyway.

While we're at it, some of Sofia's ancestors might be interesting as inspiration, no?

Parents:
Erik Oscar & Marie Britt

Grandparents:
Stig Ingvar & Ingrid Ann-Marie
Janne Herbert Ribbe & Britt Ingegerd

Great grandparents:
Erik Andreas Emanuel & Frida Kristina
Oskar Petrus & Lilly Kristina
Lars Gotthard & Maria Elisabet
Per Gustaf & Anna Maria

I think I read somewhere that Princess Lilian had changed the spelling of her name from 2 ls to one but I am not sure if she said why she did so.

And I was in no way implying that you didn't understand. I was just stating a fact.:)

I had just thought you were referring to my post since you had posted just below me and were talking about a very similar topic. That's all, it was a simple misunderstanding, you of course have the right to share facts, that's what a discussion forum is about after all :flowers:

Lilly could be a very nice option for Lilian since Lilian is a rather "old-lady" name over here :) (And yes, Lilly is the most usual spelling here). Lilly has been around for a while over here so it's classic but also rather modern. That could be a very sweet name :) Princess Lilly/Prinsessan Lilly. I like it!

I'll try it too :)

Sex: Girl
Name: Alice Silvia Marie
Duchess of Dalarna
Godparents: Crownprincess Victoria, Lina Hellqvist, Prince Manuel of Bayern, Frida Vesterberg

If it is a boy: Bertil Gustaf Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom