Sayako Kuroda (Princess Sayako): Current Events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On June 24th, Sayako Kuroda visited her parents after her appointment as chief priestess of Ise Shrine. She will represent the Emperor at festivals in February, June, October, November, and December. According to the IHA, Sayako is also conducting work as a visiting researcher at the Yamashinai Institute for Avian Studies and an outpatient researcher at the Tamagawa University Educational Museum.

Source: pages 1-2 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #493

Did the comment that she would "represent the Emperor at festivals" emanate from Sankei, or the IHA? Would it not be an infringement of the separation of religion and state guaranteed by the Japanese constitution?

Either Ise Shine or Sankei made the comment. Google translation:
According to the Jingu Ji administration, in the Ise Jingu shrine wearing the Amaterasu Ogami of the Imperial God, the royal family or the former royal family served as successive priests. [Sayako] prays for his Majesty in February 's Prayer Festival, the monthly festival in June and December, the God Festival in October and the November' s New Festival, praying for grain richness and the peace of the people It is said to be.
Mainichi's English report on her appointment refer to Sayako as the emperor’s representative:
Kuroda will visit the shrine as the emperor's representative for festive events including Kanname-sai, held annually in October, in which crops are offered to sun goddess Amaterasu Omikami, the ancestral deity of the imperial family.
According to the constitution, the Emperor is the symbol of "the State and unity of the People" and although he performs duties similar to Head of State, he doesn't actually have the Head of State title. He and the Imperial family already perform Shinto rituals at the Imperial Palace and his elder sisters were his representatives at Ise Shine for decades so infringement doesn't seem to be a concern.

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks! Given that the emperor's Shinto rituals are not considered part of his official duties, I suppose the same rule applies to the festivals.

I am delighted to see some news about her, a very likeable person IMO !

Will she attend her niece's wedding?
I hope so.

I think so. She and her husband attended the 2nd wedding reception of Noriko and Kunimaro Senge held in Tokyo. The seating was kinda weird, her mother Hisako and sisters sat in the back. I suppose they already attended the 1st reception in Shimane Prefecture so other family and government invitees (CP couple, Mikasa grandparents, Kurodas, and Prime Minister Abe) got closer seating at the Tokyo reception.

Blurry shot of Noriko's Tokyo reception, the Kurodas are barely visible behind Prince and Princess Mikasa. Princesses Hisako, Tsuguko, and Ayako are at the bottom:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfamily_picture/imgs/e/7/e7b272f1.jpg
https://www.jijiphoto.jp/thumbnails2/r!e-k-/c-iln-/c-nlk-/l.jpg

Close up:
http://blog-imgs-59.fc2.com/r/e/t/retsugaiha/881ec339e619b538fba14ac8d20640f5.png

Last edited:
The God festival at Ise Shrine began on October 15th and lasts until the 17th. Sayako Kuroda participated for the first time as supreme priestess, thanking Amaterasu for the harvest, offering rice, mochi, liquor, and praying for prosperity of the Imperial family and peace of the people. Rice harvested at the Imperial Palace was offered. The next festival is November 23rd.

Source: Jiji, https://iseshima.keizai.biz/headline/photo/2875/

Twitter photos and video:

Last edited:
Thank you for the info about this discreet and likeable Princess..... she is still one in my eyes

The video was amazing, such a beautiful country, so peaceful and serene. I felt I could almost hear the rain because of the quiet. There was a calming presence about her in the pictures for you could see it in her face. Just a very lovely lady and place to visit someday. Thank you for the info!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!:flowers::flowers:
It is great to see Mrs Kuroda undertaking a public engagement. Mrs Kuroda is the Grand Priestess of the Ise Shrine. Is there a Grand Priest?

Last edited:
Poor Sayako. A meeting with her parents is cancelled because of an earthquake... Hopefully thry have been able to meet since the 18th..

No formal ritual this time? Or is there another reason she is wearing 'normal' clothes? What was the reason for this visit as it still seemed rather official with all of them 'marching'.

Did you also notice that Sayako walks with her head up and her assistant with her head slightly down?

I don't know. Both tweets didn't mention a reason. They were surprised to see Sayako. If I had to guess... the procession was either an informal ritual or rehearsal for May 10.

Emperor Naruhito dispatched messengers to Ise Grand Shrine on May 8. They will report dates of the enthronement and Daijosai ceremonies on May 10.

Last edited:
Sayako Kuroda attended rituals for Kinen-sai at Ise Grand Shine in mid-February.

On February 18th, she visited Akasaka Imperial Palace to report to Emperor Naruhito the ritual was completed. [Sankei Imperial Weekly 629]

Photos/videos:
https://twitter.com/phoenix_shin/status/1229201951125934080
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8ux4lZBO08/

Found old videos of Sayako at Ise Grand Shrine.

November 21, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YGV3jJqhIA
November 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy4fRu58eik
Ise Shrine on a rainy day (unknown date)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJNHYHRJOI

Last edited:
Kuroda Sayako: The Emperor’s Sister as a Private Citizen | Nippon.com
[...]

In 1988, she began her studies in Japanese language and literature at Gakushūin University—the same field that Princess Aiko is studying now. The next year Emperor Shōwa passed away, and her father Akihito became emperor. After graduating in 1992, she became a research assistant at the Yamashina Institute for Ornithology, where she worked two days a week. She was said to be the first Japanese princess to draw a salary. Later, as a researcher, she cowrote reports on bird observations around the Imperial Palace and Akasaka Estate.

Princess Sayako also performed duties as an adult member of the imperial family, making official visits to 14 countries, including 8 by herself, such as a November 1995 trip to Brazil to mark the hundredth anniversary of diplomatic relations between the country and Japan. She became involved in guide dog training and other welfare activities, as well as being a confidant and source of support for her parents.

Fated Meeting
Considering the frenzy that would surround the marriage of an emperor’s daughter, at a press conference Princess Sayako once called on the media not to cause trouble for the man involved. In 2003, at the age of 34, she once again met Kuroda Yoshiki, a friend of her brother Fumihito and employee of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, at a gathering hosted by her brother. [...]

Yoshiki was in the same clubs as Fumihito at high school. He was also in a natural culture research group led by Fumihito in which Kawashima Kiko (later to marry Fumihito) was a member. Yoshiki’s father, who worked for Toyota, died while his son was studying law. After graduating, Yoshiki joined a major bank, but left in 1996 at the age of 31. The following year, he started working for the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.

He said that the reason he changed jobs was because he wanted to work in the public sector. It has also been suggested that he chose the position as he lived with his mother in a Harajuku apartment in Tokyo, and unlike a position at Toyota, a Tokyo governmental job would involve no possibility of being assigned to work elsewhere in the country. His duties were mainly in urban development and construction.

Then came his fated meeting with Princess Sayako. Playing Cupid, Prince Fumihito offered his residence as a location for dates. The two became formally engaged in December 2004, and a press conference followed.

[...]

Princess Sayako recounted how her parents were delighted and congratulated her. She also said, “Since I was very small, I knew that marriage would mean leaving the imperial family, so although I have some anxiety about starting a new life and don’t know what this will involve, I don’t feel anything entirely unexpected.”

[...]

From Housewife to Priestess
The couple married in November 2005. Their wedding ceremony, held at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, was attended by her parents and other family members, and Tokyo Governor Ishihara Shintarō made a toast at the reception.

The next year, the newlyweds bought a luxury condominium with high-level security near their alma mater of Gakushūin University. Kuroda Sayako paid around two-thirds of the price, making use of a ¥152.5 million payment she received from the state upon leaving the imperial family. Her husband took out a loan to cover the remainder.

Having become a full-time housewife, Sayako often went out to the local shopping streets. At first, specially assigned Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department officers stood by at a discreet distance, but now the local police provide a light presence, as necessary. Sometimes, she visits her parents and attends court ceremonies with her husband.

[...]

Although she usually appears mild, there is a sublimity in her expression when she wears the white jacket and vermilion hakama of a priestess. At the Utakai Hajime (New Year’s Poetry Reading) of 2014, Empress Michiko wrote of her daughter’s resolution in a poem.

“I now leave to serve
the deity soon to be moved
to a newly built shrine.”
So saying with eyes serene,
our daughter left for Ise.

In 2017, her aunt retired and Sayako became chief priestess at Ise Shrine. She now spends several weeks each year away from Tokyo, living in Ise. Before her father abdicated in April 2019, she was present when the imperial couple traveled to Ise Shrine for a ceremony to report the news to Amaterasu.

Kuroda Yoshiki was promoted in April 2021 from an urban planning section head to a more important general position. Section heads in the Tokyo Metropolitan Government typically take home an annual salary of ¥10 million, but the new position is better paid. Around this time, the couple also completed their payments on the home loan, after 15 years.

[...]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom