Royal Ascot 3: 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where should this post go?

There are some delightful, beautiful garments, and some hilarious ones in this article. Best picture: HMTLQ and Princess Anne wearing short skirts in 1970.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/style-files/g30881/evolution-of-the-races-fashion-style/

I have always wondered about the racing scene in My Fair Lady, all the ladies wearing black and white, including Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn). I had
assumed it to be a artistic and witty choice on the part of the costume department. But that was 1910, the year of Black Ascot, immediately after the death of King Edward VII, and mourning dress was black and white. The Race was Must Go On!

Day 2, June 21:

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

1st Carriage
The King
The Queen
The Earl of Halifax
The Countess of Halifax

2nd Carriage
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Duchess of Edinburgh
The Rt. Hon. the Lord Soames of Fletching
The Lady Sarah Keswick

3rd Carriage
Mr. Mike Tindall
Mrs. Mike Tindall
Mr. William Haggas
Mrs. William Haggas

4th Carriage
Sir Michael Stoute
The Lady Charles Spencer-Churchill
The Lord Lloyd Webber
The Lady Lloyd Webber

source

Will the Prince and Princess of Wales be on any of the Royal Ascot days?

I wonder if Andrew will be in a carriage if he attends. They can't use the working royals excuse to exclude him at this event as it's not just royals who take part in the carriage procession. At the same time though it would be bad for the image of the family to have him sitting there waving at the public.

I wonder if Andrew will be in a carriage if he attends. They can't use the working royals excuse to exclude him at this event as it's not just royals who take part in the carriage procession. At the same time though it would be bad for the image of the family to have him sitting there waving at the public.
I don´t think they need an "excuse" excluding him...

I don´t think they need an "excuse" excluding him...

The whole only working royals at certain events thing emerged from the Epstein scandal and Harry leaving, it was done to exclude them without making their own behaviour the reason for it. At Ascot it's not about working royals so I just wonder if Andrew will show up in the procession.

The whole only working royals at certain events thing emerged from the Epstein scandal and Harry leaving, it was done to exclude them without making their own behaviour the reason for it. At Ascot it's not about working royals so I just wonder if Andrew will show up in the procession.

You need an invitation to attend Ascot in the Royal Enclosure; certainly to be in a carriage. You can't just "show up". Andrew isn't invited. Problem solved.

You need an invitation to attend Ascot in the Royal Enclosure; certainly to be in a carriage. You can't just "show up". Andrew isn't invited. Problem solved.

Yes I am actually aware of that, I am querying whether he will be invited to join the carriage procession as it isn't something that's restricted to working royals.

Yes I am actually aware of that, I am querying whether he will be invited to join the carriage procession as it isn't something that's restricted to working royals.

The people who are invited to ride in the carriages are people who are clearly wanted and currently acceptable for public display. There is no way on Earth Andrew qualifies.

As far as another criterion goes, it's a public event with no "family" dimension — the opposite of the only things we've seen Andrew attend lately. He has no excuse for "turning up" at this one and would certainly not be out on parade if he did. (Beatrice is perfectly welcome and attended, but not in a carriage.)

There's more to it than a simplistic "working royal/non-royal" breakdown.

The people who are invited to ride in the carriages are people who are clearly wanted and currently acceptable for public display. There is no way on Earth Andrew qualifies.

As far as another criterion goes, it's a public event with no "family" dimension — the opposite of the only things we've seen Andrew attend lately. He has no excuse for "turning up" at this one and would certainly not be out on parade if he did. (Beatrice is perfectly welcome and attended, but not in a carriage.)

There's more to it than a simplistic "working royal/non-royal" breakdown.

Yes there is but the strict working royal narrative came in after Andrew stepped down from royal duties to hide his blushes about being excluded from the balcony etc. thereafter. If non working royals like Zara are in it then, technically, there's no reason to exclude him from it or to any event where the working royal criteria dosnt apply.

Yes there is but the strict working royal narrative came in after Andrew stepped down from royal duties to hide his blushes about being excluded from the balcony etc. thereafter. If non working royals like Zara are in it then, technically, there's no reason to exclude him from it or to any event where the working royal criteria dosnt apply.

"Ascot is an event where non-working royals attend and sometimes ride in the carriages" does not equal "Andrew is a non-working royal and therefore should/could/must turn up in a carriage".

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is fair to say no working royals do get invited into the carriages yet I highly doubt Andrew will do so any time soon (or ever). The reality is it would cause too much fuss for him to. He is, I am sure, not prevented from attending but can rock up by car meaning his entrance isn't a show. Really atm we have three groups of royals - working royals, non working royals, then Andrew Harry and Meghan.

Back to Ascot itself am I right in saying Zara hasn't been in the carriage procession before or has she? I remember Beatrice doing so, and Peter. William has for sure and I'm sure Harry has.

Last edited:
I think it is fair to say no working royals do get invited into the carriages yet I highly doubt Andrew will do so any time soon (or ever). The reality is it would cause too much fuss for him to. He is, I am sure, not prevented from attending but can rock up by car meaning his entrance isn't a show. Really atm we have three groups of royals - working royals, non working royals, then Andrew Harry and Meghan.

I am reasonably sure Andrew is "strongly advised" not to come, actually, by whatever necessary carrot or stick. Otherwise why not attend with Beatrice or Sarah like before?

Not only would it cause a fuss if he showed up and strolled around in any capacity and not only is persona non grata still a thing, Charles personally has no reason to want him there.

And when the monarch doesn't want you at Royal Ascot, you don't go.

Back to Ascot itself am I right in saying Zara hasn't been in the carriage procession before or has she? I remember Beatrice doing so, and Peter. William has for sure and I'm sure Harry has.

In her whole life. Of course she has. They all have.

Oh I must have missed when James and Louise did

Oh I must have missed when James and Louise did

I don’t think those two have. But they don’t really go to the races like the others. I’ve never seen them at anything like that.

In her whole life. Of course she has. They all have.

Zara, for example, was in the first carriage with her mother, stepfather and husband last year on the third day. See VF.

And in 2019 she shared a carriage with her husband, brother and sister-in-law.

Last edited:
Day 3, June 22, has started:

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** gettyimages 2 **

And here's today's carriage list for the Royal Procession.

1st Carriage
The King
The Queen
The Earl of Snowdon
Sir Mark Prescott Bt.

2nd Carriage
The Princess Royal
Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
HH Sheikh Hamad bin Abdullah Al Thani
The Rt. Hon. the Lord Soames of Fletching

3rd Carriage
The Lady Sarah Chatto
Mr. Daniel Chatto
The Baroness Chisholm of Owlpen
Mr. Colin Chisholm

4th Carriage
Mr. John Gosden
Mrs. John Gosden
Mr. John Warren
The Lady Carolyn Warren

source

The king was presented with the cup by his mother's cousin, HRH The Duke of Kent.

Lovely also that the Duchess of Edinburgh's father accompanied her to Ascot today. We see/hear so much of the Middletons, inevitably given the positions of their son-in-law and eldest grandson. It's just nice to see other in-laws as well.

Day 4, June 23.

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Here's today's carriage list:

1st Carriage
The King
The Queen
The Duke of Devonshire
The Duchess of Devonshire

2nd Carriage
The Prince of Wales
The Princess of Wales
Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
Mr. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

3rd Carriage
The Duchess of Edinburgh
The Earl of Caledon
Prince Michael of Kent
Princess Michael of Kent

4th Carriage
Dame Judi Dench
Mr. David Mills
Mr. William Farish
Mrs. William Farish

Nice to see the Prince and Princess of Wales and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent in today's carriage ride.

Princess Michael in that hat, as usual.

Where have all those amazing hats gone? She’s literally wearing the same stuff systematically. She has looked so messy since her daughters wedding.

Anyway very glad to see her at Ascot. And quite meh about not seeing Prince Andrew.

So happy to see Beatrice and Edo riding with the Wales. Nice demonstration of friendly relationships within the family.

Both Catherine and Beatrice look fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom