Queen Máxima Jewels 1: 2013 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also surprised that Máxima brought her most important tiara (although in a smaller setting) out for a black tie State Banquet. After seeing better pics it is different then when worn in Luxembourg as this time there is no diamond in top in the Center. I have to say i prefer it how she has worn in Luxembourg as it looks a bit empty now on the Center
Thank you for pointing out she removed some diamonds, somehow i didnt liked the tiara maybe because it looked empty..

Thank you Max for bringing back the bling. I live the smaller Stuart. And those earrings, what a great idea.

After seeing better pics it is different then when worn in Luxembourg as this time there is no diamond in top in the Center. I have to say i prefer it how she has worn in Luxembourg as it looks a bit empty now on the Center

I agree, the Luxembourg version was much better, IMO. The lack of a central focus point is what seems to be causing the slightly unfinished look.

Lux version:
https://i.ibb.co/V3pVBN3/D0-E0-B97-A-4816-4-C75-B37-B-57-FD592-EDCC2.jpg

Berlin version:
https://i.ibb.co/S5PX7s5/7-F6-F4-F76-BAB6-45-AD-BE01-FD38-A5-DD7-D27.png

I am also not a fan of the earrings. The large pendant diamonds are too large, IMO, and the design lacks elegance.

Last edited:
I also think that they are too big but what else to do with them? A brooch perhaps? It would be a pity to have the best stones of the collection hidden away, as they have been for so long. And although this is not my favourite version either I am happy that HM has been creative so we get to see the versatility of the piece. The tiara was designed in Frankfurt so there is a German connection too.

I would like to see the Stuart as a pendant to a brooch as well, but I suppose it must be too heavy and it will tear down the dress. Supposedly that is the reason why HM has not worn the heaviest corsages of the collection yet.

---
For today HM used pearl earrings. Although we have seen the earrings before I am not sure we have seen them with the golden-coloured pearls yet? I do not remember if Máxima ever wore these pearls though Queen Beatrix has a lot of them, mostly from the jeweller Bonebakker in The Hague.

https://www.gettyimages.de/fotos/st...0netherlands%20july%206%2C%202021&sort=newest

Last edited:
I would like to see the Stuart as a pendant to a brooch as well, but I suppose it must be too heavy and it will tear down the dress. Supposedly that is the reason why HM has not worn the heaviest corsages of the collection yet.

I also think the weight is the Problem that she wears the big broochs usually down on the gowns. perhsp she should have specially evening gownns made for them where the material of the gowns is thicker at that part.

I also think that they are too big but what else to do with them? A brooch perhaps? It would be a pity to have the best stones of the collection hidden away, as they have been for so long. And although this is not my favourite version either I am happy that HM has been creative so we get to see the versatility of the piece. The tiara was designed in Frankfurt so there is a German connection too.

The stones used in the earrings could be used as:

1) in brooches
2) perhaps as pendants on a collet necklace
3) perhaps in chandelier earrings that are a bit more stylised.

All of these will need a very creative jeweller to design and execute, yet retain the flexibility for the stones to be convertible for use in the tiara.

I actually like the earrings and if any can pull them off its queen Máxima and she did .

Also in a minority here and prefer the Berlin version of the tiara.

The stones used in the earrings could be used as:

1) in brooches
2) perhaps as pendants on a collet necklace
3) perhaps in chandelier earrings that are a bit more stylised.

All of these will need a very creative jeweller to design and execute, yet retain the flexibility for the stones to be convertible for use in the tiara.

The clusters are already highly versatile. In addition to the tiara and as earrings, they can be used as pendants, brooches and even mounted on a bangle. Queen Wilhelmina wore them as brooches and bracelet for her Silver Wedding portrait.

I also think the weight is the Problem that she wears the big broochs usually down on the gowns. perhsp she should have specially evening gownns made for them where the material of the gowns is thicker at that part.

That is why Queen Máxima wears these corsages-de-devant on her belt, because there is "grip" for the jewels, as contemporary ladies do not wear corsets anymore.

I actually like the earrings and if any can pull them off its queen Máxima and she did .

Also in a minority here and prefer the Berlin version of the tiara.

I too prefer the Berlin version of the tiara. I think her hairstyle, close to the scalp and parted on the side adds to the slightly off kilter look compared to the lux version where her hair is up and not parted. Also, she seems to be wearing it a little too back on her head.

When it comes to the tiara, I'm in team Luxembourg. :flowers: Imo, it looks more balanced with the central diamond prong, and it's usually the best look for a tiara to have the highest spot right in the middle. On the other hand, I'm delighted to see yet another version of this gorgeous and historic jewel! And I wonder, if the side prongs are removable as well, as that might make another pleasing, more bandeau-like version.

The earrings were a bit too much for my taste. While being gorgeous in themselves, they look so chunky that they are a bit lacking in elegance. Queen Maxima wore some smaller (yet still big) diamond earrings at the British SV with the large setting of the tiara, and I prefer that look.

As for the Stuart diamond in a brooch setting: I believe that a custom made one shoulder dress, like the one she wore, could easily be strengthened at the shoulder in order to support such a heavy brooch. But this particular gown with it's rich embroidery was probably best left brooch-less.

PS. I agree that the hairstyle complemented the tiara perfectly.:flowers:

When it comes to the tiara, I'm in team Luxembourg. :flowers: Imo, it looks more balanced with the central diamond prong, and it's usually the best look for a tiara to have the highest spot right in the middle. On the other hand, I'm delighted to see yet another version of this gorgeous and historic jewel! And I wonder, if the side prongs are removable as well, as that might make another pleasing, more bandeau-like version.

The earrings were a bit too much for my taste. While being gorgeous in themselves, they look so chunky that they are a bit lacking in elegance. Queen Maxima wore some smaller (yet still big) diamond earrings at the British SV with the large setting of the tiara, and I prefer that look.

As for the Stuart diamond in a brooch setting: I believe that a custom made one shoulder dress, like the one she wore, could easily be strengthened at the shoulder in order to support such a heavy brooch. But this particular gown with it's rich embroidery was probably best left brooch-less.

PS. I agree that the hairstyle complemented the tiara perfectly.:flowers:

Can you imagine that all Dutch parures lacked earrings because, until Queen Juliana started to wear earrings, these were considered "only suitable for demi-mondaines" ( an eufemistic term for high class ladies seeking the edges of the then puritan lifestyle ).

Can you imagine that all Dutch parures lacked earrings because, until Queen Juliana started to wear earrings, these were considered "only suitable for demi-mondaines" ( an eufemistic term for high class ladies seeking the edges of the then puritan lifestyle ).

Thank you for sharing this information. It might help explain the lack of any serious earrings in the collection.

Thank you for the information Duc_et_Pair. I hadn't considered that prior to Queen Juliana, that earrings were considered in that manner.

Her necklace was the base of the Festoon tiara ? Well done !

That may have been a while ago, but if I am not mistaken, this is the necklace that Max wore to V&D’s wedding in 2010. Also, when Max has worn the Festoon tiara, it has not had a base.

She wears jewels Queen Beatrix never wore ?

Yes ofcourse Maria Olivia,otherwise it just collects dust in the vaults,and the collection is TOO beautifull for that,if you got it,flaunt it.?

That may have been a while ago, but if I am not mistaken, this is the necklace that Max wore to V&D’s wedding in 2010. Also, when Max has worn the Festoon tiara, it has not had a base.

That is correct on all fronts!Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
That must be a Dutch/Wilhelmina thing, considering many other queens and royal ladies of the time wore them?

I think the connection is that the festoons from the tiara can be attached to this necklace, so that it becomes a festoon necklace.

That must be a Dutch/Wilhelmina thing, considering many other queens and royal ladies of the time wore them?

Queen Emma never wore them either, although I have read that she usually ordered her parures with earrings. Her sister Queen Pauline of Württemberg is pictured with the Württemberg topaz parure but without the earrings. Another sister the Duchess of Albany seems to have worn some small earrings from time to time. I believe it was professor Fasseur who wrote in his Wilhelmina biographies that some thought that the real reason for Queen WIlhelmina not wearing earrings was not to attract attention to her rather large earlobes.

Last edited:

Dutch Wilhelmina thing??

The aquamarine set was a gift by her parents to a young Princess Juliana.

Queen Emma never wore them either, although I have read that she usually ordered her parures with earrings. Her sister Queen Pauline of Württemberg is pictured with the Württemberg topaz parure but without the earrings. Another sister the Duchess of Albany seems to have worn some small earrings from time to time. I believe it was professor Fasseur who wrote in his Wilhelmina biographies that some thought that the real reason for Queen WIlhelmina not wearing earrings was not to attract attention to her rather large earlobes.

In Imperial Austria it was Franz Jozef II who disliked ear jewellery,for the ladies ofcourse,so,our Wilhelmina was not alone.

And if you didn’t have large earlobes before, you certainly would have them after wearing those big rocks!

In Imperial Austria it was Franz Jozef II who disliked ear jewellery,for the ladies ofcourse,so,our Wilhelmina was not alone.
Their contemporary Queen Victoria of Sweden never wore earrings. It was during her lifetime that the original earrings of the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure got lost.

Tonight Queen Máxima has worn a diamond ear of wheat in her hair. The jewel does not come from the ears of wheat tiara but from a rather beautiful brooch that was broken up.

https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/mode-maxima-mode-algemeen/staatsbezoek-duitsland-contraprestatie (scoll down).

Some information as posted on the website:

The jewel belonged to Queen Catherine of Württemberg, née GDss of Russia. It was inherited by her youngest daughter, who later became Queen Sophie of the Netherlands. After that it went to Sophie's son the unfortunate prince Alexander and later it was inherited by Alexander's half-sister Queen Wilhelmina. I am not sure if they were ever used by Queen Beatrix.

The aquamarine necklace was ordered at jeweller Burnier in The Hague and was a gift from Queen Emma to her grand daughter Juliana.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have believed the necklace was so old... It looks quite modern!

Is that Art Deco?

The aquamarine necklace is just stunning a very lovely piece.

It is! And it goes really well with this dress (so much better than yesterday's combination).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom