Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 15: May-July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the color of the Queen's outfit! And she looks as if she is truly having a good time. What a gem of a woman!

Pics 24.5.2007

Queen Elizabeth II wears slippers and is presented with a garland when she visited a new Hindu Temple, Bradford, England - 24.05.07

Pic 1
Pic 2

Queen not amused over Blair's legacy for Britain

Prime Minister Tony Blair, who steps down in a month after 10 years in power, is leaving a legacy for Britain that has "exasperated and frustrated" Queen Elizabeth II, a newspaper reported Sunday.

Queen not amused over Blair's legacy for Britain - Yahoo! News

Blair sees royal duties as constitutional chore

For all his willingness to mouth the usual flattering references about the Queen's role when called upon to do so, Tony Blair has always given the impression of setting little store by the historical relationship between monarch and prime minister

Blair sees royal duties as constitutional chore | Uk News | News | Telegraph

Sounds like HM is as happy to see the back of him and his odious wife as the rest of us are. The Blairs have always been rude to the Royal Family, especially Tony Blair. Oh to have a PM like Lady Thatcher who valued every word the Queen spake.

Well, given how he spent so much time trying to sideline and undermine the monarchy, it's hardly surprising that the Queen wouldn't appreciate it. But these reports are supposed to have come from a "close confidant" of the Queen's, and I can't see a close confidant of the Queen's chatting to the Telegraph.

I think more than a few of us are grateful for the existence of the monarchy precisely because it did what Tony Blair seems to have been so upset about its doing - it provided a separation between the position of Head of State and the partisan short-term outlook of party politics. I expect Tony Blair, that great supporter of George Bush, could see very well that combining the two positions, and thus being able to tie patriotism firmly to party allegiance, is very handy for a politician whose major loyalty is to his party, and I expect he could also see that having a nonpolitical Head of State as the ultimate focus of the nation's image was an obstacle to that political aim. And long may that last, IMO.

Hear Hear. It also stuck in Cherie's clack who seemed to think she was some great First Lady who deserved devotion from the British.

If he becomes Prime Minister, we'll have to wait for a while to see how he and the Queen get along.

BeatrixFan said:
Sounds like HM is as happy to see the back of him and his odious wife as the rest of us are. The Blairs have always been rude to the Royal Family, especially Tony Blair. Oh to have a PM like Lady Thatcher who valued every word the Queen spake.
Well, he's not really different from his Labour "ancestors", is he? The Telegraph piece made me think of Chuter Ede who also had zero patience for the monarch-minister traditional interactions. Thatcher was Conservative, and they are always snuggy-huggy with the monarchy. Thatcher was too far Conservative, though. Isn't there a happy medium somewhere? Someone who respects the monarchy but isn't totalitarian?

Well, it doesn't always follow in Labour's case. Harold Wilson was very fond of the Queen and he sought her advice on alot of things he did. Their relationship even survived rumours that Lord Mountbatten was involved in the plot of a military coup against Wilson. He was very friendly and said that he valued her opinions and their weekly audiences hugely. Thatcher was simply in love with the Queen and I'm sure would have gone for absolute monarchy if she could be sure she'd be appointed as PM. I don't think there was a happy medium in the past because the parties were so different but nowadays who knows?

BeatrixFan said:
Well, it doesn't always follow in Labour's case. Harold Wilson was very fond of the Queen and he sought her advice on alot of things he did. Their relationship even survived rumours that Lord Mountbatten was involved in the plot of a military coup against Wilson. He was very friendly and said that he valued her opinions and their weekly audiences hugely. Thatcher was simply in love with the Queen and I'm sure would have gone for absolute monarchy if she could be sure she'd be appointed as PM. I don't think there was a happy medium in the past because the parties were so different but nowadays who knows?

I don't mean anything against Lady Thatcher. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I am a lonely liberal in the US at the moment, very upset by the present White House administration, so anything remotely Far Right sounding touches a nerve in me. I think I need to read up on Harold Wilson because he sounds like my kind of guy! I am a liberal but I love the British monarchy and forever seek the 'happy medium'. In all credit due to Lady Thatcher, old age was kind to her, like a fine wine, much better and more savored with age.

More on topic, what about that Yorkshire incident with the axe guy? Did the Queen and Prince Philip go on to do the scheduled walkabout, or did the "incident" cause that plan to be axed? God, what is it with me and the unintentional puns today? :eek:

No no, not at all. I know you didn't mean any insult to Lady Thatcher, it's undeniable that she was a raging monarchist. Harold Wilson wasn't exactly a success as PM. He was extremely paranoid and believed that people wanted to kill him, hence why he resigned. He also tried to paint himself as a pipe-smoking man of the people when in fact, he was swilling champagne and rewarding his pals behind the doors of Number 10. He became known for the last Honours List which was alledgedly written by his secretary and mistress, Marcia Williams who he created Baroness Falkender and to this day has never spoken in the Lords. Labour or Tory rarely actually means "I hate the Queen" or "I hate the Queen" respectively. James Callaghan was a monarchist and put on a good Jubilee for the Queen in 1977 even though he was Labour. By the same token, John Major didn't seek the Queen's advice enough. It's an interesting topic.

As to the Yorkshire incident, the Queen and the Duke did do the walkabout as planned. The chap was obviously a publicity seeker and I doubt he'd have actually hurt the Queen.

BeatrixFan said:
Harold Wilson wasn't exactly a success as PM. He was extremely paranoid and believed that people wanted to kill him.

Hmm......sounds familiar? ;) Thank you for the information. I am thoroughly enlightened and fascinated. :flowers:

I think Beatrixfan is planning a new thread on the topic of the Queen and her Prime Ministers, so this may be a good time to get this thread back on topic.

Skydragon said:
British man eats dog in royal fox protest

A British artist ate a corgi dog, famous for being Queen Elizabeth II's favourite breed, in protest Tuesday after a group including her husband Prince Philip allegedly killed a fox earlier this year.

British man eats dog in royal fox protest - Yahoo! News

Live on radio! :ROFLMAO: Nutter! :rolleyes:

That's just insane! People like him call themselves liberals and make the rest of us look nuts. :bang: I'm seriously coming to view the fox hunting debate from the Conservative view, however. I think a lot of the pro arguments for it make a lot of sense, and the "liberal" answer regarding fox hunting is often more inhumane, from what I can see.... I think there might be a better solution than fox hunting, but until the liberals come up with one, I'm backing you lot (most of you, I'm gathering are for it) on this one.

He's concerned about cruelty to animals so he's eating a dog? Whatever. Did the dog conveniently die peacefully of old age right before the stunt, or how did he manage to do this without cruelty to an animal being involved?

I know, that man eating dog story was just not the ideal way to kick off a morning! Fortunately, the balloon story balances it out. That is adorable. It's awesome, like a dream. I would be over the moon if I sent a pen pal balloon and got a royal reply! Imagine the odds!:)

CasiraghiTrio said:
I don't mean anything against Lady Thatcher. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I am a lonely liberal in the US at the moment, very upset by the present White House administration, so anything remotely Far Right sounding touches a nerve in me. I think I need to read up on Harold Wilson because he sounds like my kind of guy! I am a liberal but I love the British monarchy and forever seek the 'happy medium'. In all credit due to Lady Thatcher, old age was kind to her, like a fine wine, much better and more savored with age.

More on topic, what about that Yorkshire incident with the axe guy? Did the Queen and Prince Philip go on to do the scheduled walkabout, or did the "incident" cause that plan to be axed? God, what is it with me and the unintentional puns today? :eek:
Dont feel lonely, I'm one too!

The Queen and the Balloon

I just saw on the news that a little boy sent a note on a balloon and the Queen received the balloon. Not only did she answer, but has written to the little boy twice. Has anyone heard about this story:) . The story was on NBC ,so the story should be up on the site later today. BTW, I just found a link Boy's balloon finds pen-pal in queen - Peculiar Postings - MSNBC.com.

Last edited:
msleiman said:
Not only did she answer, but has written to the little boy twice.

She didn't write herself. But the person who did write the letters does work for the Queen.

Thanks for the pics from today, Avalon, the Queen and Mr Paisley were both born in April 1926, but the Queen looks much younger :) :)

Here's an additional pic of the Queen and Prince Philip arriving at the garden party: The Queen and Prince Philip 1.6.2007

Thanks for the pics. I saw the Queen today at Epsom - she & Prince Philip were driven up the race track in a car before they went into the Royal Box. She looked GREAT in her blue coat and the blue hat with a pink ribbon.
They are both amazing - they seem so young and energetic despite their age!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen any pictures of the Concert at Buckingham Palace in honour of the RNIB - it was held on 4 June, but all I can find is about Rod Stuart attending!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom