Princess Caroline honored with UNICEF's 2006 Children Champion Award

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I don't like her gown. IMO it makes her look older.
Apart from this, she looks beautiful like always.
I admire her not only for the great job she does, but also because she accepts her wrinkles, and "wears" them much with elegance.

I think that it is her hair that makes her look older in these pictures. I so wish she would wear bangs. She always looked the best with bangs in the past.

I'm agree with you. I prefer Caroline with bangs.

Tosca said:
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I don't like her gown. IMO it makes her look older.

I had the same reaction, Tosca. Is it the full, gathered skirt on the gown that makes her look frumpy and matronly? But what an exquisite, radiant face!

If you go to www.monaco-consulate.com, you will be able to read her speech and know for certain what a great humanitarian Her Royal Highness is. It is long, but very well worth it. It is my dream to someday meet this wonderful woman in person. I have so much admiration for her and her work. She is so intelligent and so aware of the many problems facing children in this harsh world. You can see that she is on a crusade to help as many as she can. Please make a contribution to her cause, AMADE.

Thanks for the information miraglia1983. Here is her speech, Part 1:

Honored guests, ladies and gentlemen, good evening….

May I first express my gratitude to President Chip Lyons (of the United States Fund for UNICEF) and to Sally Cottingham, as well as to everyone here in the New England chapter for all their hard work in making arrangements for this evening's program. I'm sure the horrendous weather and flooding has greatly complicated your task. My heart goes out to all the people in wonderful New England who have been, and still are, suffering through this ordeal.

Nelson Mandela, Harry Belafonte, Roger Moore and Jordan's Queen Noor have all been at this podium before me. I'm humbled. (And in the case of Queen Noor clearly outranked.) The only thing that is more daunting than to receive an award whose past recipients are such monumental humanists and child advocates, is to confront the painful truth that all our efforts, and the generosity and commitment of everyone here and so many thousands of others around the world, continue to be woefully inadequate. It's a bit strange to be named a "champion" in the early stages of an endless marathon. I'm reassured to know that all of you are just as committed to victory as I am - the victory of our common future: the world's children, our children.

I am very pleased and proud to accept this award on behalf of AMADE, created by my mother in 1963. Our organization is served by extraordinary volunteers around the world under the direction of the no less extraordinary Mr. Francis Kasasa, whom I'd like to thank for being with me here this evening.
Theirs is a daily, often incredibly frustrating and thankless struggle to advance the programs and projects you got a small glimpse of in the video. They are the recipients of this award, true "champions of children". I know they are deeply touched and delighted by the recognition you bestow tonight on their tireless efforts.
This award will enhance our ability to access and influence world governments and lobby their leaders to find positive approaches and solutions to vital political, economic, environmental, religious and humanitarian issues.

At AMADE we have had many successes of which we can be justly proud. And of course UNICEF dwarfs our achievements with its myriad activities across the globe. But there is so much still to do. This award will be something for us to live up to. Less a prize than an inspiration, and a permanent reminder of what's expected of us.
While I'm glad to se success, however small, what interests and motivates me more is all that hasn't been done. I think optimism is a choice one makes. For me, the cup is half full. Or maybe a quarter full. Or at least there is a cup. Or there could be a cup…In child advocacy, that's the only attitude to have.
Recently there has been extensive media coverage of a program in the beleaguered kingdom of Nepal that really inspires me. In a remarkable campaign supported by UNICEF and an alliance of many other organizations and the Nepali Health Ministry, a virtual army of 50.000 volunteer Mothers has trudged through fiercely challenging mountain terrain to deliver measles vaccine across the nation. These mostly illiterate women, trained in only the very basics of primary healthcare and injection technique, managed to reduce measles related deaths by 90% last year, saving as many as 5000 lives.
In you I see dedicated men and women representing a vast spectrum of talent and expertise. To know that such an amazing resource is serving the cause of positive change fuels and reinforces my optimism. If the Nepali Mothers can eradicate measles, imagine what YOUR volunteer army can do!

Again, success falls in the shadow of what still needs doing. More than four million infants, about the number of babies born in the US, still die each year for lack of incredibly simple and cheap healthcare materials. So much to do…
Like many of you, I'm sure, I have had first hand experience seeing short-sighted national governments, self-aggrandizing local authorities, and powerful corporate interests, interact with distressed citizens, dedicated NGOs, and passionate activists on virtually every continent. There is no shortage of good, even great ideas. But they all too often languish for years in reports or commissions, or are damned by the faint praise of non-binding declarations, buried in paper, lost in deliberation. Fundamental changes that are critical to ensure a thriving human future seem to move further and further away even as they become more and more urgent.

In our struggle we, like the women of Nepal, face Himalayan challenges. But we're a strange breed-exhilarated by challenges, energized by obstacles. Like alpinists, we climb each mountain to get a look at the next mountain! This evening I feel I'm surrounded by remarkable mountaineers.
…………..
Along with specific program activity, our mission is to mobilize the conscience of the world on behalf of children.
Our task is to look beyond the selfish interests of governments, corporations and ideologies to the broader interests of the planet itself and the well being of its six billion citizens. Our guiding principle is the quality of the legacy we shall leave to those who will inherit this ever smaller planet of ours. And the scope of the mission is vast, unlimited. It encompasses virtually every area of endeavor. Because rescuing children only to hand them a world in turmoil and the bleakest of futures is morally intolerable.
No matter how laudable and important it is to attack disease, famine, the devastation of war, illiteracy, and the host of other ills that assault so many millions of the world's children, if we don't equally commit ourselves to bettering the world they will live in, our efforts are reduced to mere "first aid". First aid is a good start. Period.
There are so many areas where we can and must commit ourselves to improvement or radical change. They may seem to be far out of the box of child-advocacy, but I believe they are critical to it. A few spring to mind.
  • Monetary and tax reform to energize entrepreneurship in developing countries. Here I think of debt restructuring and forgiveness. And the exciting possibilities of micro-financing, where remarkably small investments can produce truly significant results.
  • Responsible commerce and equitable capitalism. There are so many initiatives in this direction, some excruciatingly small and fragile, others quickly growing stronger. The simple premise that a "fair deal is a good deal" is, I believe, truly gaining ground.
  • Trade and tariff reform. We all know how third world farmers and growers are shut out of the world markets. With a direct and dire effect on their families' wellbeing. Progress is slow here, and complicated, but there is progress nonetheless.
  • Sustainable uses of forests and oceans. We, the developed world, with our insatiable demand, are responsible for the pillaging of resources that leave wastelands behind. Each of us can help make changes here by simple consumer discipline.
  • Clean water for all. We possess the technology and resources to make huge contributions in this direction. UNICEF is very active here. But it's an area of great opportunity for innovative solutions.
  • In health and medicine, there is enormous potential for generic medicine development and patent liberalization for third world manufacturers. I don't call for condemning Big Pharma. Rather, we can encourage and applaud results.
  • Multi-culturalism and the media. With notable exceptions, we export images of a world of white heroes and colored villains. Violence is called "excitement", vulgarity reigns. Our producers claim that's what the people want. Let's encourage our producers to stop underestimating their audiences…
  • Women's rights. Don't get me started…
  • My list goes on and on- to conflict healing, real energy economy, sustainable and livable cities, general arms de-escalation and relentless suppression of arms trafficking, reform of international institutions, human rights. Each of these areas directly affects the lives of children and the adults they will become.

Source: Consulat Général de Monaco à New York

Part 2

Oh, dear…I guess now you know why my Mother once introduced me as her "daughter the communist!" But no. I was her daughter the citizen, devoted to the values she herself instilled in me and that she developed right here in the US.
A friend suggested that my message is that the only was to really help children is to cure all the world's ills. Well…yes. I guess that is my message. Each of us, in unspectacular ways, can be an agent of positive change by making simple disciplined choices every day. By remembering that in the age of globalization, it doesn't just take a village to bring up a child. It takes a world.
Today we're at war on terror, as we must be. Especially against the terror in the eyes and hearts and minds of millions of children worldwide. Children who face the world alone after losing parents to AIDS. Children at risk of starvation or a host of preventable diseases, living conditions and social situations. Children who live in the crossfire of war and suicidal madness.
We want to eradicate crimes against children, from slavery to sex trafficking, to forced recruitment into guerrilla armies to child labor, and more.
But we live in countries whose official policies directly or indirectly destroy more children's lives than we can ever hope to save. We can't be child advocates and feel comfortable with that.
People often point to regimes in the world who's tyrannical, corrupt, or simply incompetent governments deserve far more of the blame that I seem to heap on our Western democracies. But I hold our societies and ourselves to a higher standard. Partly because I know that in our societies we can actually get things done! Our freedom gives us power, and a duty to use it to make essential changes.
I suppose I hold America to the highest standard. The daughter of an American, I have very deep ties to this country. I believe its core values are the same as mine. And like the rest of the world, I admire and appreciate American ingenuity, energy, and can-do attitude. So please forgive me if I seem to be preaching. I think that holding someone to the highest standard is the sincerest form of flattery.
When people are encouraged to think as parents and grandparents instead of as corporate leaders or politicians- when they are prompted to be motivated by who they are rather than what they do- there is a quite amazing agreement about human values and about the priorities of those values.
Churchill declared that "politicians think of the next election. Statesmen think of the next generation." It's too easy to complain about or denigrate politicians, no matter how deserving or maddening they may be. It's our job to require our politicians to act like statesmen. We must keep reminding all decision makers of who they are. And remind them who WE are! The people they're accountable to, at the ballot box and the cash register.
So much to be done. That must be done. That can be done. So that the children we rescue from abominable conditions don't have to face an empty future. So that our children can point proudly to the example we set for them, and continue the work we, inevitably, will never get near finishing.
…………..
Your presence here tonight bears witness to your active belief in the cause of child-advocacy and to your exceptional generosity. I offer you my deepest thanks. Many of you are very involved in outreach activity of your own. I'm honored to be in your company. AMADE and I shall do our best to be worthy of the honor you have bestowed upon us this evening. We look forward, with optimism and energy, to working with UNICEF and with you toward filling the cup. See you in the mountains!

Source: Consulat Général de Monaco à New York

10ood9d.jpg
10oodg0.jpg

From Princess Caroline's speech in Boston

"Nelson Mandela, Harry Belafonte, Roger Moore and Jordan's Queen Noor have all been at this podium before me. I'm humbled. (And in the case of Queen Noor clearly outranked.)"

Isn't she funny!?

It's such a nice, well-thought and "funny" (in some parts) speech...I wonder if she writes all her speech by herself (I think she does, but I'm not sure)

I keep editing this post while I go on reading the speech; no wonder I "love" this woman..."my daughter the communist"!! "Women's right: Don't get me started on that"!!!
Any chance of hearing her giving the speech? That would be awesome!

Last edited:
What a great speech! I hope that we can eventually find a video of it because I would love to see how she delivered it!!! :)

Great speech.
I don't think this is her best look (dress-wise). But I guess she wasn't trying to be flashy while accepting the award.

Well i don´t like the grown either. It just not for her.

however great speech really. I love the way she express herself and the funny touchs

Great speech, very worthy of a world-class leader.

I am also touched by how she values her mother as manifested in her speech. Princess Caroline has not been in many interviews where she was able to share her views on her mother; it's been her brother who has granted many interviews and therefore opportunities to express his feelings regarding Princess Grace. So this is a nice bonus from Caroline.

im hope her mother the Princess Grace will be so proud

This really was an exceptional and smart speech! If she really wrote the speech herself, what can I say....props to her, hat down! I would also love to see a video if there is one!

sara1981 said:
im hope her mother the Princess Grace will be so proud

As a matter in fact, she would be very proud! So far those days when Caroline used to upset her mother with her affairs... Her speech and behaviour let us see that she's become an admirable and active woman. Hip-hip-hurra!

Many thanks for the speech, tbhrc! I'm almost moved to tears by her speech. I hope other important people like her in the rich and influential countries - so much bigger than Monaco in terms of resources and power - take her cue and work on what needs to be done. I especially like the part when she noted that (First World) policies need to reflect true commitment to our children's better future -and not to destroy it.

I'm sure Prince Rainier and Princess Grace are smiling down on their eldest child.... from wherever they are :). Caroline is a true princess in every sense of the word.

Last edited:
I think the charity work Caroline has done is wonderful, and I had no idea she was even involved with this work. You never really hear much about her in the States anymore. Her speech was nice and really covered a lot.
I think her hair looks better straight though... it makes her look younger.

Caroline's look really has softened over the years. And I don't mean "aging", I mean her general demeanor. When you look at some of the pics of when she was younger, she looks so haughty & snobby sometimes. Now she looks like a "kinder" person.

Thanks Tbhrc! Even though I do not understand French, I enjoyed the video. Does anyone have the video of her actual speech, which I am assuming she gave in English?

Another pic from AMADE:

11bu2xz.jpg

I cant assess the video of Caroline's speech. Does anyone have this is the windows player format?

Is the woman speaking French her or a reporter? If it is her then she has a fantastic voice! And I heard a second of what she sounds like in English, she has no accent, I mean I guess I knew she wouldn't, but she sounds so different than I imagined. I wish I could have heard her say her speech, but something is DEFITNITLEY better than nothing.

Thanks tbhrc =)

Oh my, I cried while reading her speech... How thoughtful and meaningful they were...Her speech touched my heart.. Princess Grace must be very proud to hear her:) ... I hope influential people would take heed and start doing something.....

she reminded me so much of her mother in that video. her mannerisms, the way her eyes roll and her head bobs, things like that.

thanks for posting that, moderator.

A few screencaps of Caroline during an interview in Boston...

11juigy.jpg
11jugsw.jpg

11jugk1.jpg
11jugpj.jpg

11jug4w.jpg

( libello.mc)

Thank you very much on those screencaps, Michelle!;)

And another one from The Boston Globe/Bill Brett - again thanks to AMADE for scanning those pics.....

11v2vwk.jpg

Here are a few more from Laif (I've posted some of them earloer in this thread, but I think those have a better quality)

815216417lk.jpg
815216420lz.jpg
815216433za.jpg
815216444cq.jpg
815216456mw.jpg
815216461bu.jpg
815216477hh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom