Princess Alexandra Engaged to Nicolas Bagory: November 7, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa also made a congratulatory post on her instagram account, including a photo of the couple:

"Great pleasure to announce the engagement of our daughter Alexandra with Nicolas Bagory":

** instagram post **

Congratulations to the couple and their families!

Woooooooow!

She is indeed very private!

Congrats, Congrats, CONGRATS!:luxflag::luxstandard::franceflag::princess2:??????:heartflower:???

I suppose the wedding will take place in June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, congratulations to the happy couple!

This is exciting and unexpected news.I don't think that anybody saw that coming. They really managed well to fly under the radar.

Congratulations to the couple & their families! ?

Congratulations to the couple!

This is Nicolas Bagory's lineup:

He holds a degree in Political Science and Letters from the Albert-le-Grand Institute, Angers.

He has a master's degree in Classical Literatures, Latin at the Paris-Sorbonne University.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-bagory-67923b19

Great, he is very brainy!;)

I have been wondering for quite a while when this beautiful young woman was going to make an announcement. I absolutely LOVE the fact that she was able to conduct her relationship away from prying eyes.

Congratulations Princess Alexandra!

ETA: Just saw that he shares his birthday with her brother Guillaume

Last edited:
Congratulations to the happy couple on the engagement!

Congratulations to the couple! ��

Do we know, if Mr Bagory will be able to hold the princely title after the wedding like it is in Sweden or Norway?

Congratulations to the couple! May their lives be full of bliss upon the wedding!

This is Nicolas Bagory's lineup:

He holds a degree in Political Science and Letters from the Albert-le-Grand Institute, Angers.

He has a master's degree in Classical Literatures, Latin at the Paris-Sorbonne University.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-bagory-67923b19

Does his Linkedin say what his current profession is? The description in the announcement is rather vague.

Anyway, wonderful news. They make a beautiful couple.
We will see the Grand Duke lead his only daughter to the altar.

Where does Alexandra live?

Last edited:
Congratulations to the couple! ��

Do we know, if Mr Bagory will be able to hold the princely title after the wedding like it is in Sweden or Norway?

Not sure what you mean about Sweden and Norway. Prince Daniel is only Prince Daniel because he married the Crown Princess. Had Carl Philip been the heir, and Victoria was just Princess Victoria, I don't know that he'd have been given a princely style. Madeleine's husband is just Mr. O'Neil. I don't know if that's because he was offered a princely style and he turned it down or he was never offered it in the first place.

As for Norway, the only blood princesses that have been married since Norway became an independent country are Ragnhild, Astrid, and Martha Louise, and none of their husbands were given a princely style.

As such, neither of those countries' customs have any affect on what the Luxembourg royal family will do. I expect it'll be similar to when Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie got married; she'll be Princess Alexandra, Mrs. Bagorny, and neither he nor their children will carry titles.

Not sure what you mean about Sweden and Norway. Prince Daniel is only Prince Daniel because he married the Crown Princess. Had Carl Philip been the heir, and Victoria was just Princess Victoria, I don't know that he'd have been given a princely style. Madeleine's husband is just Mr. O'Neil. I don't know if that's because he was offered a princely style and he turned it down or he was never offered it in the first place.

As for Norway, the only blood princesses that have been married since Norway became an independent country are Ragnhild, Astrid, and Martha Louise, and none of their husbands were given a princely style.

As such, neither of those countries' customs have any affect on what the Luxembourg royal family will do. I expect it'll be similar to when Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie got married; she'll be Princess Alexandra, Mrs. Bagorny, and neither he nor their children will carry titles.

I meant that in the most European reigning families where absolute primogeniture is a thing (although not always as we can see in the Spanish Royal Family, where both Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin became princes after marrying Infantas Elena and Cristina respectively), males who enter the family can become princes by marriage. That is the thing with Prince Daniel and Prince Lorenz for example (although I believe with Lorenz it was after absolute primogeniture was adopted in the Belgian Royal Family). Christopher O'Neill would normally become the Prince of Sweden, Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland upon marrying Madeleine, but he declined it in order to continue with his career. Same thing was with Ari Behn, who was supposed to become the Prince of Norway by marriage, but he refused the title.

I interpret the statements of Chris O'Neill and the Swedish royal court to mean that he was offered a princely title and he turned it down. See here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...-and-changes-2019-a-20051-13.html#post2305095

As far as I know, Prince Daniel has not disclosed what choice he would have made if Victoria had not been Crown Princess.

I am not sure why you expect Britain's customs to have more of an effect than Sweden's and Norway's customs on what the Luxembourg royal family will do. Princess Marie-Gabrielle continues to be "Princess Marie-Gabrielle of Nassau", not "Princess Marie-Gabrielle, Mrs. Willms", and Princess Charlotte is "Princess Charlotte of Luxembourg", not "Princess Charlotte, Mrs. Cunningham", so I expect the grand-ducal court will follow the example of these Luxembourg princesses and not the example of foreign British princesses.

I hope it's a big royal wedding in the cathedral in Luxembourg.

I meant that in the most European reigning families where absolute primogeniture is a thing (although not always as we can see in the Spanish Royal Family, where both Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin became princes after marrying Infantas Elena and Cristina respectively), males who enter the family can become princes by marriage.

Absolute primogeniture has never applied to the Spanish throne, but Prince Ludovico of Parma, the Duke of Montpensier, the Count of Girgenti, Prince Charles of Bourbon, and Prince Ferdinand of Bavaria all became Infantes of Spain when they entered the Spanish royal family by marriage.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/infantes.htm#marriage

Charles was also styled as Prince of Asturias until the death of his wife, the Princess.

The reason that the husbands of Infantas Elena and Cristina did not become Infantes of Spain even though their marriages were not morganatic is that King Juan Carlos introduced a decree in 1987 which provided that, going forward, the title of Infante or Infanta of Spain and the forms of address HRH and HH would not be shared with spouses (other than the spouse of the Princess or Prince of Asturias).

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1987-25284

Same thing was with Ari Behn, who was supposed to become the Prince of Norway by marriage, but he refused the title.

I have never heard of that. Princess Märtha Louise stated when the couple became engaged that it was "natural" for him not to receive a title as there was no such tradition in the Norwegian royal house.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

BTW page boy Charles? ?

Rather Prince Liam and flower girl - Princess Amalia.

And who will be Maid of Honour?
From future bride's paternal first cousins only Princess Charlotte (then 23) is still unmarried.
Future groom's best man will definitely be someone from his family (brother or cousin).

Do we know, if Mr Bagory will be able to hold the princely title after the wedding [...]?

The bylaw of the grand-ducal family states that, unlike the wife and marital children of a prince or count, a spouse of a princess holds no titles by marriage, and her children do not inherit a title. (The grand duke may also confer titles on an individual basis, but there is no suggestion in the engagement announcement that he intends to do so.)

A man who marries any female member of the grand-ducal family keeps his surname, and children born of the marriage are required to take the surname of their father. Marriage has no effect on the legal titles and surname ("of Nassau" in Alexandra's case) of the female member, though most do choose to use their husband's title or surname socially.

If Princess Alexandra's marriage obtains the formal approval of the grand duke, her husband will become a member of the Grand-Ducal House. If the marriage is not approved, he will "only" be a member of the Grand-Ducal Family.

Although the bylaw does not explicitly address succession rights to the throne, the historical precedent is that if the marriage is not approved, the descendants of the marriage will be automatically excluded from succeeding to the throne.

I hope that is helpful. :flowers: The bylaw can be read here:
https://legilux.public.lu/eli/etat/adm/dec/2012/06/18/n1/jo

Last edited:
wow! congratulations!

Congratulations!

BTW page boy Charles? ?

Prince Charles will just be turning 3 at the time of the wedding. I think maybe a little too young?

But I can definitely see Felix's two children Liam and Amalia participating.;)

I meant that in the most European reigning families where absolute primogeniture is a thing (although not always as we can see in the Spanish Royal Family, where both Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin became princes after marrying Infantas Elena and Cristina respectively), males who enter the family can become princes by marriage. That is the thing with Prince Daniel and Prince Lorenz for example (although I believe with Lorenz it was after absolute primogeniture was adopted in the Belgian Royal Family). Christopher O'Neill would normally become the Prince of Sweden, Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland upon marrying Madeleine, but he declined it in order to continue with his career. Same thing was with Ari Behn, who was supposed to become the Prince of Norway by marriage, but he refused the title.
Most? The only case in a European royal family in which a man who married a princess who was NOT the heir to the throne became a prince is Belgium: and Lorenz only became a prince of Belgium many years after his marriage - when they had ensured that his wife and children were in line to the throne to avoid Laurent (and his children) to end up on the throne in case Philippe didn't have any children.

So, it is the exception not the rule. And given that the house rules stipulate that children of Luxembourg princesses will carry their father's surname and don't provide any provision to make their husbands princes, it seems unlike that Alexandra's husband will be made a prince of Luxembourg (or Nassau).

Congrats to the couple. They've managed to fly under the radar, so that's great for both of them. I assume they live in Paris (as that's where Alexandra lived and her fiancé is French). The groom looks quite a bit older than his 33 years of age (he is turning 34 on Friday).

Rather Prince Liam and flower girl - Princess Amalia.

And who will be Maid of Honour?
From future bride's paternal first cousins only Princess Charlotte (then 23) is still unmarried.
Future groom's best man will definitely be someone from his family (brother or cousin).

Do they even have the tradition of 'maid of honour'? I don't recall they did at Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding - of course, they do need witnesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a surprise such as Maria Laura's Engagement. Privilege when you have private lifes far away from the people press.
I am lucky for them ! A nice wedding for this coming Spring.

Does Nicolas Bagory's family still belong to the French aristocracy?
It's a shame they didn't reveal some information about Nicolas's family, at least his parents' names and if he has any siblings.

Back
Top Bottom