Princess Alexandra, Current Events 3: April 2006 - March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
qui mal y pense said:
What is that supposed to mean? It sounds like the princess presented or was presented anti-semitic propaganda- what up with that?!

It was Anti-Israel, no anti-semitic. A lot of people who are friendly towards Jews or are Jews themselves are against the politics of the Israelian government, even in Israel.

It was not Anti-Israel either.
It was Anti-Torture in Israel.:flowers:

ricarda said:
Actually it was I who called Alexandra a hypocrite, not LindaHsu.

<Comments removed/Mandy>
ricarda said:
And my sceptical approach started long before Frederik met Mary,
around the time when Joachim got engaged with Alexandra.
I always had my doubts and they became more and more over the years
(through own observations and hearsay) and finally I developed a dislike for Alexandra.
Only I was not a member of this board three (or 10) years ago and therefore could not express my opinion.
And I think 3 years ago the comments may have been more positive
because people really believed in that "faultless superprincess/loving wife and mother/busiest royal"-image
which was created by the media (with the help of Alexandra of course).
Then it turned out that it had nothing to do with reality.

I understand this very well, the first Alexandra years I was sceptical of her too and even now I can totally see that she is a very clever media handler (aka manipulator). As soon as <she> knew a divorce may be on the cards (and no one had an inkling yet) in the earlier 2000's, she started traveling the globe visiting poor little kids as much as if there was no tomorrow, always making sure a TV crew trailing her every move (no wonder she got close to Martin). She hadn't done that much traveling in the first years of her marriage.

By the time Joachim (and she) called it a day, she had built up a new image as the peripatetic, roving ambassador for lesser-well-off humans, while smiling to the cameras at home wearing a nice fur coat. I totally get that, you have a point, absolutely.

And yet I like the woman..perhaps, if only, because she <does> know how to behave and smile and put on a good front in the face of adversity, not resorting to whining to the press the way that other royal divorcee did (Diana). And anyway she got way way more interesting <after> the divorce, emerging strongly, I admire her for that. That and these days she is a smart dresser!:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read in the magazine and it says that Princess Alexandra is dating a photographer Martin Jorgeson...
Anyone has the info related to that?
Its in "Hello" Magazine and they were at a church and they cross path with her ex-husband Prince Joachim as well...

Yes, Yvion, Princess Alexandra and Martin are dating and have been for quite sometime.

Prince Joachim, Martin and Princess Alexandra were photographed outside the wedding of Oscar Siesbye and Britt Tang Lassen, friends of former couple, having a short friendly chat according to recent reports in the Danish magazine, Billed Bladet.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Yes, Yvion, Princess Alexandra and Martin are dating and have been for quite sometime.

Prince Joachim, Martin and Princess Alexandra were photographed outside the wedding of Oscar Siesbye and Britt Tang Lassen, friends of former couple, having a short friendly chat according to recent reports in the Danish magazine, Billed Bladet.
They were? With the three of them? I've only seen the picture of her and Martin arriving, she's wearing a brown long dress if I'm not mistaken.

There are several of photos of Prince Joachim, Martin, and Princess Alexandra having a quick chat outside of the church after the wedding ceremony.

Prince Joachim did not accompany Princess Alexandra and Martin to the wedding. Yes, Princess Olga she was wearing what looks to be a dark brownish dress with her hair elegantly slicked back in a low chignon.

:)

princess olga said:
Hi,

I found a couple of articles on Alex..I take it they're recent..could someone please tell us what the gist of the story is there? No need to translate word by word, just tell us what they're about! Thanks!

http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.162247

and this one:

http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.219324

and this one:

http://www.seher.no/cm/SeHer/Kongelige/Danmarks+kongehus/1.302851

The first one says: Martin is frustrated that Alex refused his proposal because she does not know
whether she wants to give up all the advantages she has now.

The second one says basically the same: how much it would cost Alexandra to marry Martin (princess-title and tax-free).

The third one is relating to an article of BT which says that Alexandra is on her way to be Denmarks best paid unemployed.
That she worked next to nothing this autumn and that her apanage might be changed if she continues this way.

This is the link to the article in BT, "Easy job for Alexandra":
http://www.bt.dk/article/20061116/ROYALT/111160590/1058/A
It's quite remarkable because BT usually has a positive approach towards the DRF and especially Alexandra.

Last edited:
ricarda said:
The first one says: Martin is frustrated that Alex refused his proposal because she does not know
whether she wants to give up all the advantages she has now.

The second one says basically the same: how much it would cost Alexandra to marry Martin (princess-title and tax-free).

The third one is relating to an article of BT which says that Alexandra is on her way to be Denmarks best paid unemployed.
That she worked next to nothing this autumn and that her apanage might be changed if she continues this way.

This is the link to the article in BT, "Easy job for Alexandra":
http://www.bt.dk/article/20061116/ROYALT/111160590/1058/A
It's quite remarkable because BT usually has a positive approach towards the DRF and especially Alexandra.

Do the critics think of the possibility that Alexandra might have been told to do less representation, so as not to compete with Mary? We´ll never know the facts, but Alex strikes me as the sort who would want to continue to do more (partly because she wouldn´t want to disappear, I imagine).

Alexandra has not worn an outfit that is tasteless meaning she is not leaving anything to the imagination on her part and second sense when we the public say what people should wear I use to think the same way not anymore.

Xandra said:
Do the critics think of the possibility that Alexandra might have been told to do less representation, so as not to compete with Mary? We´ll never know the facts, but Alex strikes me as the sort who would want to continue to do more (partly because she wouldn´t want to disappear, I imagine).
I think that too. Alex is incredibly popular and clearly interested in her work and has been for a long time.

Little_star said:
I think that too. Alex is incredibly popular and clearly interested in her work and has been for a long time.

I find it hard to believe that Alexandra would want to sit at home and do nothing. She was a female executive before her marriage. She strove to improve herself after marrying into the royal family-learning Dutch and Mandarin Chinese.

As a female executive myself I can tell you that driven people do not like doing nothing. They are intellectually curious and interested in others/events. If she is doing less, I believe it is to make way for Mary. Or maybe she wants to spend more time with her children now that they are a little older. Let's not forget she gave up her business career to marry into this family. We will never know why she is not doing more.

I just cannot believe that she is lazy. Is she a media manipulator? If she is she was taught to. No more than Mary, who has built up a solid media image herself, is. Royal family members' images are carefully cultivated. Why is it Alex's issue if she keeps up the good image of herself, her boys and her family?

She bore two royal children. what do people want from her? Hustle for a living? Live a middle-class life? She would be criticized for depriving the royal princes. Let's not forget Sophie and Edward's attempts to make their own living. They ended up in scandal when Sophie was taping gossiping about the British royal family to her PR clients.

Diana left the British royal family with millions. Why are the Danish people begruding Alexandra for a stipend of USD $250k a year? In Hong Kong and the US, this money hardly buys an upper class lifestyle. Critics are simply too harsh.

Yes, I agree. I don't think Alex is lazy. She once said in one of the interviews that she likes a fast pace of life. She likes and enjoys working. And she also likes to know that every morning when she wakes up there are events for her to do. She doesn't like to sit around.
I think she step down in some duties because of Mary.

All this "maybe someone's telling her not to work as much because of Mary" sounds like pure nonsense to me. Firstly, Alex not working is really not a good look for the DRF - so why would they tell her to work less?

Secondly, if it was because of Mary - then why didn't Alex reduce her duties as soon as Mary joined the family? Frankly - Mary has way too much class to even think of putting herself before the needs of the various charities.

And thirdly, if Alex cared so much about her charities, she wouldn't let people badger her into doing less for those charities just to accommodate for some people's vanity. Gee - otherwise, that would be weak. Or is that what's being suggested here? That she would be so weak as to follow someone's order to "step down because of Mary"?

Who knows. Maybe she's doing work behind the scenes. Maybe she's making a strategic move to exit public life but still contribute to her charities in a different and less public way.

Times2222 said:
Diana left the British royal family with millions. Why are the Danish people begruding Alexandra for a stipend of USD $250k a year? In Hong Kong and the US, this money hardly buys an upper class lifestyle. Critics are simply too harsh.

This is not a comment about Alex working/not working - but about what Alex received after the divorce.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Diana received a lump sum from Charles/ the British DRF - she didn't continue to receive an income from the state (i.e. the British government).

Alexandra too received a lump sum payment on her divorce. But unlike Diana, Alex also continues to receive a salary from the state. This is how they differ - Diana did not continue to receive 'handouts' from the state, whereas Alex is (in addition to the lump sum she received from Joachim).

Jasl said:
This is not a comment about Alex working/not working - but about what Alex received after the divorce.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Diana received a lump sum from Charles/ the British DRF - she didn't continue to receive an income from the state (i.e. the British government).

Alexandra too received a lump sum payment on her divorce. But unlike Diana, Alex also continues to receive a salary from the state. This is how they differ - Diana did not continue to receive 'handouts' from the state, whereas Alex is (in addition to the lump sum she received from Joachim).

But Diana even when she was married did not receive money from the Civil List ( British government) her lifestyle was funded by Charles through the income from the Duchy of Cornwall. The two scenarios aren't really comparable. Diana received a very large payout from Charles, basically she cleaned him out and he had to liquify his portfoglio as well as having the Queen give him a loan to tide him over. She 'didn't continue to get handouts from the state' because she never got them in the first place.

Jasl said:
All this "maybe someone's telling her not to work as much because of Mary" sounds like pure nonsense to me. Firstly, Alex not working is really not a good look for the DRF - so why would they tell her to work less?

Secondly, if it was because of Mary - then why didn't Alex reduce her duties as soon as Mary joined the family? Frankly - Mary has way too much class to even think of putting herself before the needs of the various charities.

I agree with you. It sounds like pure nonsense to me too.
Alex receives money from the state on the basis that she will continue her work but the RF tells her not to work?
And Alex who is independent enough to live openly with her 14 year younger lover obeys immediately?
Purest nonsense.

And this argument that she is stepping aside because this is Mary's time now!
As a matter of fact Alexandra started to work more than she ever did before
(with the exception of the jubilee year 1997 perhaps)
around the time when Mary came on the scene.
2004 and 2005, the first years of Mary as a princess, were actually Alexandra's busiest years.
Mary did not take over any of her patronages, she chose different ones.
And all this shows that there is actually enough work to do for two.

Moreover it is a simple truth - though painful for some - that in the last 3 years Alexandra was in no way able
to take the limelight away from the Crownprincess, despite the fact that she worked more than ever before
and despite such interesting "news" like divorce and new relationship.

IMO it was quite clear that Alexandra would work less as soon as the divorce was finalized,
since she is not a full member of the RF any longer.
I also think that she might receive less invitations now than before because of that.
But she still is patroness of 23 organisations, among them UNICEF.
And all she did this year were 30 engagements, faaaaaaaaaaar less than any other family member did.
I certainly didn't expect that little.

Last edited:
Charlotte1 said:
But Diana even when she was married did not receive money from the Civil List ( British government) her lifestyle was funded by Charles through the income from the Duchy of Cornwall. The two scenarios aren't really comparable. Diana received a very large payout from Charles, basically she cleaned him out and he had to liquify his portfoglio as well as having the Queen give him a loan to tide him over. She 'didn't continue to get handouts from the state' because she never got them in the first place.

According to a 1996 CNN article, Prince charles gave Diana an estimated $32million USD settlement and no strings attached. Alex gets $200-250k Tax free a year to pay for her living expenses and people are complaining. I do not understand this. Are the Danes this cheap? What do they want her to do? Drop her royal role (albeit more limited) and go work for a living to provide an upper class lifestyle for her boys. At that point she will be accused of neglecting her sons to pursue her career.

As to whether she is intentionally doing fewer charity appearances, I do not know. Maybe some of the posters are right it is not because of Mary...Maybe she wants to be with her boys...maybe she is preparing to re-enter the work force after marriage...maybe there are fewer invitations because no one cares for her to be in the limelight anymore (as Ricarda suggested)...or maybe (shock) she is just tired.

Some of the posters (clearly Mary fans) make it seem as is Alex is stealing from the Danish people by appearing fewer times. Even if she does not do any work, she gave up her career to marry into the royal family she should receive either a divorce settlement or an annual stipend which will allow her to care for her boys until they are 18.

Last edited:
Times2222 said:
According to a 1996 CNN article, Prince charles gave Diana an estimated $32million USD settlement and no strings attached. Alex gets $200-250k Tax free a year to pay for her living expenses and people are complaining. I do not understand this. Are the Danes this cheap? What do they want her to do? Drop her royal role (albeit more limited) and go work for a living to provide an upper class lifestyle for her boys. At that point she will be accused of neglecting her sons to pursue her career.

As to whether she is intentionally doing fewer charity appearances, I do not know. Maybe some of the posters are right it is not because of Mary...Maybe she wants to be with her boys...maybe she is preparing to re-enter the work force after marriage...maybe there are fewer invitations because no one cares for her to be in the limelight anymore (as Ricarda suggested)...or maybe (shock) she is just tired.

Some of the posters (clearly Mary fans) make it seem as is Alex is stealing from the Danish people by appearing fewer times. Even if she does not do any work, she gave up her career to marry into the royal family she should receive either a divorce settlement or an annual stipend which will allow her to care for her boys until they are 18.

Thank you! This is exactly what I've been thinking. I keep reading about how the Danish Royal Family and/or Joachim had to go to extraordinary lengths to come up with the money to buy Alexandra a house to live in (less than a million dollars from what I understand). Maybe things are different in Denmark, but here in the U.S. a million dollars just buys a nice house. Not a palace, not a mansion, just a nice house.

Princess Alexandra worked hard for the royal family while she was a full member. How quickly everyone forgets. And she handled the divorce well. Certainly she is entitled to a decent income and a decent house. If the royal family can't afford it, maybe they should all get jobs.

royaltywatcher said:
Princess Alexandra worked hard for the royal family while she was a full member. How quickly everyone forgets. And she handled the divorce well. Certainly she is entitled to a decent income and a decent house. If the royal family can't afford it, maybe they should all get jobs.

Interesting terminology..'full member' :)

As for handling the divorce well, you would expect so given it was decided upon mutual grounds. She has no reason not to handle it well.

As for the prospect of looking for jobs...I don't think their is a more demanding occupation than what they already have, but that's just me ;)

Are the Danes this cheap?

I think that a very rude comment! One must understand the economics of a country before slagging them or ther intentions off (and even then it is quite innapropriate).

Maybe some of the posters are right it is not because of Mary

Of course it has nothing to do with Mary. How could it? These two women hold different offices and are in no way connected through their respective patronages or obligations. For whatever reason(s) behind Alexandra's seemingly decreased workload is of no reflection upon the Crown Princess.

Even if she does not do any work, she gave up her career to marry into the royal family she should receive either a divorce settlement or an annual stipend which will allow her to care for her boys until they are 18.

Everyone has to work for their supper (including the ex-inlaws) and Alexandra is, and should be, no exception. As far as I'm aware, she is being well looked after and I believe its safe to assume that she shall continue to be supported for as long as its deemed appropriate and justifiable. Should she choose not fulfill a public role then surely she would not expect to be kept. She is much too smart.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing her at the New Year's Ball. Last year she looked lovely!

Last edited:
Times2222 said:

I agree with Madame Royale I think the " Are the Danes so cheap?" comment is rude. As far as I understand it the DRF aren't as wealthy as the BRF, so any divorce settlements wouldn't be as much as the BRFs.

Last edited:
It's a two-egged sword, I think. If she's working a lot, she's accused of hogging the spotlight, and if she doesn't, she's accused of being lazy. We saw it in the "What's your opinion of Frederik and Mary" thread - and now the same rhetoric is being used here. :ermm:

The royal website has a definition of the role of the protector:
Kongehuset.dk said:
Often the protector will make yearly visits to his/her protectorate, and be present at special occasions and arrangements. Depending on the character of the protectorate, it may also involve frequent meeting-activity
Last sentence, emphasis mine.

Certain of Alexandra's protectorates lend themselves more to the meeting-activities, or rare appearances rather than frequent ones. I'm talking about "Svenske Villa" foundation (a house in Bernstorff Castle's park, dedicated to cultural events), or the "Alexandra school for tailoring and fashion" in Frederikshavn, or The English-Speaking Union of Denmark, for example.

It seems logic that she worked more during the hard times of her marriage, and the following separation, perhaps to get away from it? And now that her life is back on track, she's also back to somewhat the same schedule she had before then. I see nothing wrong in that. There's a marked difference in what I expect the wife to the heir to the throne to do, and the wife to the second in line, in terms of amount of work. It also follows with the increase in the basic sums Joachim and Frederik each received upon their marriages - Joachim got a basic sum of two mil. DKK (worked at with inflation) - which was reduced after the divorce - Frederik got 3.706.000 before, and after his marriage he got 12.775.000... I see a clear indication in the different expectations for how much work is expected. :flowers:

Ingolf of Rosenborg gets roughly 500 000 less than Alexandra, for less patronages.

I think Alexandra handled everything very well. The divorce, pre and post, the children seem to be very well adjusted and she has a gd relationship with her ex.

She's also pulling her weight for her adopted country and deserve respect for the professional way she handles her affair. She's been very decreet and slient -compare to other more publise royal divorce.

It can't be easy for her to be in this rather unique and difficult position of being a princess by previous marriage - sort of in the circle yet outside the circle. She also can't win either way in almost all her choices, I wouldn't liek to be in her position and i think she's really handling things very well.

good for her!

Times2222 said:
According to a 1996 CNN article, Prince charles gave Diana an estimated $32million USD settlement and no strings attached. Alex gets $200-250k Tax free a year to pay for her living expenses and people are complaining. I do not understand this. Are the Danes this cheap?

... Even if she does not do any work, she gave up her career to marry into the royal family she should receive either a divorce settlement or an annual stipend which will allow her to care for her boys until they are 18.

Alexandra did receive a divorce settlement worth millions (though nowhere near as big as what Diana got), as well as a house of her own choosing. It would also be reasonable to assume that Joachim contributes towards the maintenance of his sons - I imagine this is in Danish law. In addition to the above, Alexandra also receives the "salary" from the Danish government (which i think is equal to what Joachim is receiving now... or thereabouts).

In light of all this, Alexandra is certainly receiving more than what a normal divorcee is usually entitled to, but she receives it because of what the Danish thought a hard-working princess should receive. Diana never received anything of the sort. The Danes are cheap comment/question is therefore misdirected.

Last edited:
Jasl said:

And thirdly, if Alex cared so much about her charities, she wouldn't let people badger her into doing less for those charities just to accommodate for some people's vanity. Gee - otherwise, that would be weak. Or is that what's being suggested here? That she would be so weak as to follow someone's order to "step down because of Mary"?

Who knows. Maybe she's doing work behind the scenes. Maybe she's making a strategic move to exit public life but still contribute to her charities in a different and less public way.

Remember there was some media < removed - GT> about Mary not doing enough, and Alex was the most hardworking member of the RF (this was after the divorce)?
It´s naive to think that Mary or Alex, or even Fred or the Queen, have 100% say in what they do or not do. All RFs are run by a machinery behind, deciding the PR angles etc. So everything the RF members is choreographed and decided by others. Remember permission from parliament was also needed, at least officially, before Fred and Joachim could marry their ladies?
I doubt if anything can be decided by Alex or Mary themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom