Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you believe that when he becomes King William V, he may be a little more at ease depending upon who the Prime Minister and other official leaders are?

William has the support of his wife and family. He will definitely do well no matter what.

The suitability of Prince William is no topic. We can remove him from the line of succession but that still makes Harry no future King as his nephew Prince George and his niece Princess Charlotte still remain before him. Not so long ago Prince William was THE heartbreaker and Charles should skip the throne to make way for "Diana's son". This shows how wobbly popularity is. Wait until Harry has lost his hair too and start wearing glasses... His once dashy uncle and popular militair Prince Andrew shows how it all can change.

Last edited:
If William still looked like 19 Yr Old William with a full mop of blond hair, the press coverage would be all over him and tone would be different from today's coverage more like JFK Jr got (People's Sexiest Man Alive one year).

Andrew was the dashing Royal to, Margaret was super stunning back in the day. The Press love Harry right now because he is single and outgoing. Him hugging old ladies and service dogs is a better news story than William at a conference table discussing male suicide with first responders.

15 years from now, 18 yr old George will be the rockstar Royal of the family, Harry will be like most of the royals today doing his work without much media of coverage. William will be busy as DoCornwall/PoW or even King.

Whether William is suitable or not is a moot point, if he is alive when it's his turn then he is King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes that is it. When Prince William was single and still had his blonde hair, girls were screaming and fainting when he showed his perfect smile to them. He had the X-factor, so to say. Now his younger brother is in the spotlights.

Time to get back on topic - looks and hairstyle have little if nothing at all to do with suitability to be a king except in the fairytales.

I'd say he's suitable as he's been prepared for it his whole life. As far as enthusiasm goes, the Queen is hardly an extrovert and she's done fine. Whilst royals from other houses may be silly and outgoing and that works for them, I'm not sure that a British monarch behaving that way would be received well; and I mean mainly from the establishment itself.

I'd say he's suitable as he's been prepared for it his whole life. As far as enthusiasm goes, the Queen is hardly an extrovert and she's done fine. Whilst royals from other houses may be silly and outgoing and that works for them, I'm not sure that a British monarch behaving that way would be received well; and I mean mainly from the establishment itself.

What is "the establishment" these days?

His family and other courtiers. Or that's who I was referring to.

I can't see the point in discussing the suitability of William to be king. All european monarchies are just outdated symbols. There is a strong possibility that William will never become king.
And even if he does his duties will be quite formal. He will never actually rule. So his skills are not important.

I can't see the point in discussing the suitability of William to be king. All european monarchies are just outdated symbols. There is a strong possibility that William will never become king.
And even if he does his duties will be quite formal. He will never actually rule. So his skills are not important.

I think there is merit in what you say. It's best if he is a bit of a clod without any real ambition. His job requirements are to be able to conduct small-talk for hours on end with people he does not necessarily want to be in the same room with, to be able to perform repetitive, mundane tasks every day for the rest of his life, to be able to read aloud speeches that have been written by other people, and to keep any personal opinions he does have to himself and not start diplomatic incidents. He should be able to manage that.

I think there is merit in what you say. It's best if he is a bit of a clod without any real ambition. His job requirements are to be able to conduct small-talk for hours on end with people he does not necessarily want to be in the same room with, to be able to perform repetitive, mundane tasks every day for the rest of his life, to be able to read aloud speeches that have been written by other people, and to keep any personal opinions he does have to himself and not start diplomatic incidents. He should be able to manage that.

Not every one can. His great grand uncle couldn't

His great-great-uncle (I assume you meant Edward VIII) wanted to do more than be a figure-head. He wanted to get involved in the political process and actually do things rather than just 'be the monarch'. He wanted to rule rather than reign. He was badly trained about his powers and thought he had some when he didn't.

He wanted to get involved in the political process and actually do things rather than just 'be the monarch'. He wanted to rule rather than reign. He was badly trained about his powers and thought he had some when he didn't.
Well, I know that may sound offensive but don't you think that royal family with its family ties and good offices certainly has more power and influence than officially proclaimed?

No I don't.

The power of the monarch is very limited. Edward wanted to be more than a ceremonial monarch and those days had long ended by the time he came to the throne. His father had given away the last real vestiges of power before the war and there weren't really any more left at that stage.

After the restoration power was vested increasingly with parliament and after 1911 the House of Lords was largely toothless.

Edward never understood that and wanted to be heard publicly on political matters. That is a major reason why the government was determined to get rid of him and why Wallis was a godsend to them - a ready made excuse without telling the public that the King was trying to usurp the powers of the government.

He didn't know where the line between advising and power rested.

His great-great-uncle (I assume you meant Edward VIII) wanted to do more than be a figure-head. He wanted to get involved in the political process and actually do things rather than just 'be the monarch'. He wanted to rule rather than reign. He was badly trained about his powers and thought he had some when he didn't.

Yes, Edward VIII was William's great grand uncle, and he was unwilling/unable to be the sort of monarch described by Roslyn.

I agree. I mean it's not like he's gotta lead troops into battle a la Edward IV. He seems competent if not publicly thrilling...much like his grandmother.

Let's not forget the only requirement William needs to be King is to outlive his father and grandmother. He needs no other requirements as the position is determined not by ability or merit but simply by birth. He therefore meets the only requirement - the eldest son of the eldest son of the present monarch.

Let's not forget the only requirement William needs to be King is to outlive his father and grandmother. He needs no other requirements as the position is determined not by ability or merit but simply by birth. He therefore meets the only requirement - the eldest son of the eldest son of the present monarch.

..as long as he remains a Protestant...

Just from their duties and daily life intelligence and ambitions, I think Charles would be a much better King than Williiam who seems to want to put off all things royal as long as he can. No question that he will be King unless England decides to change things; and I sometimes think they will be the last ones to do so.

William has made it known that he accepts his destiny and he's got a wife to help him along the way. No need to worry about William being King.

This is a very interesting thread, which hasn't been commented on for quite some time. It is very different from the "future roles and duties" thread.

Do people think that William is well prepared to be the future monarch? While he is undoubtedly now extremely experienced when it comes to charity work and meeting people, does he actually have a sufficiently broad knowledge of international politics for example?

I believe that in the past few years that efforts have been made to introduce William to world leaders and nations outside of the Commonwealth. His 2018 trip to Israel, Jordan and Palestine was one of his most significant trips to date considering the sensitivity that surrounds this region. The "Brexit Soft Diplomacy" trips have also been an opportunity to expand his knowledge of European nations and their leaders. I would like to see him visiting Asia, Africa and South America in the future.

It doesn’t matter if he is suitable or not. Hereditary monarchy is a system where rhe first person in line ascends the throne when it is vacant regardless of that person’s qualifications or lack thereof. If the King is physically or mentally incapacitated , then a regency may be set up, but those are extraordinary and extreme circumstances.

Of course, when a person is raised from birth to be King, presumably those who are responsible for his upbringing will naturally pay attention to his training for the job, but whether the prince in question will live up to what is expected of him or not is a different matter.

Last edited:
I think William is well prepared to be a good king. He has made trips and participated in several interesting projects. He is doing a good project. And Catherine will be a good consort queen

The British Isles have survived over a thousand years of Mad, Bad and Wacky Monarchs.William will be a better King than many and not as good as some. Hopefully it will be a long and uneventful reign.

This is a very interesting thread, which hasn't been commented on for quite some time. It is very different from the "future roles and duties" thread.

Do people think that William is well prepared to be the future monarch? While he is undoubtedly now extremely experienced when it comes to charity work and meeting people, does he actually have a sufficiently broad knowledge of international politics for example?

He doesn't need a 'broad knowledge of international politics'. He needs good advisers and to be able to listen to them.

He will have a government who do the actual work for him.

He has a broad a knowledge as The Queen permits him to have as she controls what information is given to her heir and 2nd in line. Charles sees the same papers the Queen does now. How much of that William sees I am not sure but I suspect he sees most, if not all, of the government papers.

IIRC William has pretty much started the takeover the the Duchy of Cornwall ..going to the business meetings etc.

LaRae

He has been attending the Duchy of Cornwall meetings this year while Charles has started attending the Duchy of Lancaster meetings, which don't appear to happen as often.

I think that William will be quiet good king. Him will haven't even much of political power so he can't even mess things. He surely will handle his royal duties well. Even on his current jobs he has cared well. But it will go yet many years before he is king. Elizabeth II migth reign yet some years and then it is Charles' turn.

Not a charity king...

I would welcome it, if William would stop a bit of his "charity-work" in favor of meetings with junior professors and business people and activists, which are his age. Those could inform him about contemporary problems.

This would be not a meddeling into politics, but it would show, that he cares about "real problems". And he would have, by choosing the people of this circle, some kind of "gate keeper" advantage. I don't see him doing some relevant stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom