Prince Louis and Princess Tessy to Divorce: January 18, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now we are before the Law.
For a Catholic Annulment is before the Church.
Princess Carolne never had her annulent for her Junot Wedding because she was the Daughter of a Catholic Head of State.
Maybe but she got the annulment in the end:ohmy:

I never knew .
She married Stefano and Ernst August only before the law.

Carolines marriage to Junot was annulled in 1992, two years after the death of Casiraghi.

Thanks, I know she didn't get one too early, and she married Casirighi in a civil ceremony. But I thougth that she had eventually had the marriage annulled.

Belgium's RTL report below. Mostly using info from UK articles except it adds that Tessy is asking to be called Tessy du (from) Luxemburg.
Dossier royal: on vous dit tout sur les raisons taboues du divorce du prince Louis et de Tessy de Luxembourg - RTL People

Err, can UK courts decide that? It seems, since Tessy can't keep HRH or Princess, she wants another last name instead of Antony. "du Luxemburg" sounds fancier than plain Antony.

i don't see how a British court can rule on her title when only Henri as GD can grant titles, any other titles or surnames would surely be granted as is standard in Luxembourg law. Interesting she wants to be known as Tessy de Luxembourg, is she that important a person she gets to call herself after the whole country?

According to her Instagram RTL Luxembourg will screen a documentary on her life and work on Tuesday evening.
I’m not sure how to post the link but she says it’s the first time she has allowed a camera into her private life.

... [snipped]
P Tessy runs rings around Pavlos's family, she's served her country as a peacekeeper, studied and worked hard, began new initiatives in third world countries.....
IMHO is that's role model material
The Grand Ducal family did fund her education and did give her an access to useful connections to begin new initiatives.
According to her Instagram RTL Luxembourg will screen a documentary on her life and work on Tuesday evening.
I’m not sure how to post the link but she says it’s the first time she has allowed a camera into her private life.
Such development is not surprising.

Last edited:
i don't see how a British court can rule on her title when only Henri as GD can grant titles, any other titles or surnames would surely be granted as is standard in Luxembourg law. Interesting she wants to be known as Tessy de Luxembourg, is she that important a person she gets to call herself after the whole country?

exactly, I thought she was divorcing in london because she wanted the house but seems like she alos wants a titlte, etc etc. And that's something she should be working out with the LRF. I can't help feeling she's got deluisons of grandeur.

We're not talking titles though, we're talking last names. She isn't asking the court to allow her to remain Princess Tessy, simply Tessy de Luxembourg. And that would be a surname, not a title. Just like Fergie whose surname is legally Duchess of York, until she marries. Its not a title, its a name. Its along the same line as German titles now a days. German titles don't exist in Germany. Those titles are legally their surname. They are only seen as titles as a courtesy by other royals, abroad.

By English custom, as a divorcee she would be entitled to use it as a surname until she remarries. Or she could simply legally change her name.

The problem lies that she is not a British citizen. If she was a British citizen, and her passport and ID were British, she could continue as de Luxembourg. But her passport is Luxembourg. And under Luxembourg law, the only way she can retain her husband's surname is if he allows her to. And Louis can remove that permission if he chooses.

But the surname 'de Luxembourg' does not exist, so how could she get such a surname? Why somebody would want to keep her ex-husbands surname after a divorce is a mystery to me. Wouldn't it be preferable to revert to her own surname. I do not see what would be wrong with 'Antoni'.

We're not talking titles though, we're talking last names. She isn't asking the court to allow her to remain Princess Tessy, simply Tessy de Luxembourg. And that would be a surname, not a title. Just like Fergie whose surname is legally Duchess of York, until she marries. .
If she's living in the UK she can call herself anything she likes. She can call herself Tessy Pink Elephant.. but You'd think that she'd prefer to use her husband's surname, whatever it is, since they have two children.

Her children are princes de Nassau, so Tessy du (not de!) Luxembourg would not connect her in anyway more to her children at first sight than Anthony. Only the first few years of her marriage she went by the same surname as her children (de Nassau) when they were elevated she was known as princess Tessy de Luxembourg and her sons as prince Gabriel/Noah de Nassau.

But the surname 'de Luxembourg' does not exist, so how could she get such a surname? Why somebody would want to keep her ex-husbands surname after a divorce is a mystery to me. Wouldn't it be preferable to revert to her own surname. I do not see what would be wrong with 'Antoni'.

Several of the women I know who are divorced kept their married name since their children had the same last name.

LaRae

Her children are princes de Nassau, so Tessy du (not de!) Luxembourg would not connect her in anyway more to her children at first sight than Anthony. Only the first few years of her marriage she went by the same surname as her children (de Nassau) when they were elevated she was known as princess Tessy de Luxembourg and her sons as prince Gabriel/Noah de Nassau.

And actually thwe wive's of other Princes of Luxembourg who renonunced their succession rights where created Princesses of Nassau (in the case of Héleène only Countess) and not Princess of Luxembourg.

Several of the women I know who are divorced kept their married name since their children had the same last name.

LaRae
There is a big difference between countries in this respect. In some countries you officially change your name when you marry (for example the States (if you decide to do so) and the UK) - so you loose your maiden name. In several other countries you will be known by your husband's name but you don't loose your maiden name. In others you don't even take your husband's surname.

And actually thwe wive's of other Princes of Luxembourg who renonunced their succession rights where created Princesses of Nassau (in the case of Héleène only Countess) and not Princess of Luxembourg.
Hélène Vestur's surname is a good example. She became countess of Nassau at the same day as her children (8 years after their marriage) but is no longer known as countess of Nassau after her divorce but instead as Hélène Vestur (so, she is using her maiden name again). She never became princess of Nassau as her children were elevated to that rank shortly after the divorce (another 9 years later).

odd claim by tessy to want to have a new made up surname in my opinion. also, with my level of french i do not understand the technicality of being 'de luxembourg' or 'du luxembourg' - to me both mean 'of luxembourg' and i can see no real difference.

Tessy a même demandé à ne plus être appelée Tessy de (of) Luxembourg mais Tessy du (from) Luxemburg.

in all fairness, i don't see the need for a new surname, although i know women who kept using their married surnames after divorce. i guess in this case it would be 'de nassau'. why couldn't tessy be addressed as 'tessy de nassau'?

also, i am sorry to see that the divorce is not amicable and is the object of a big public drama. if something characterises this family is their discretion. their dirty laundry should have been resolved behind closed doors.

odd claim by tessy to want to have a new made up surname in my opinion. also, with my level of french i do not understand the technicality of being 'de luxembourg' or 'du luxembourg' - to me both mean 'of luxembourg' and i can see no real difference.

in all fairness, i don't see the need for a new surname, although i know women who kept using their married surnames after divorce. i guess in this case it would be 'de nassau'. why couldn't tessy be addressed as 'tessy de nassau'?

also, i am sorry to see that the divorce is not amicable and is the object of a big public drama. if something characterises this family is their discretion. their dirty laundry should have been resolved behind closed doors.
Countessmeout posted above:
The problem lies that she is not a British citizen. If she was a British citizen, and her passport and ID were British, she could continue as de Luxembourg. But her passport is Luxembourg. And under Luxembourg law, the only way she can retain her husband's surname is if he allows her to. And Louis can remove that permission if he chooses.
I think Prince Louis already said "No" to letting Tessy have "de Nassau" so she's looking for an alternative rather than revert to her maiden name Antony. Also curious is she wants the German spelling Luxemburg, not Luxembourg with the 'o'
Why not the Luxembourgish version Lëtzebuerg? :lol: It's getting silly.

Apparently, the difference would be between of and from... (maybe a little comparable to the German difference between zu and von?)

Again, that would be according to US or UK custom, but according to Luxembourgish custom and law she has no longer any rights to the 'de Nassau' surname as soon as she is divorced and automatically reverts back to her maiden name.

I do feel for both parties. I think Tessy is unreasonable but she probably feels that she is fighting alone against the Luxembourg court - with lawyers who reinforce the idea that she can get more out of the divorce (fair or not).

Tessy's wish to have Tessy du (from) Luxemburg as a surname is odd. Given the above discussion, this surname will not change anything significantly.

LaRae

That is correct but it this case, her children's name is 'de Nassau'. Therefore it would be logic to go back to where she was before: Tessy de Nassau.

I missed the info that Louis has nixed Tessy using "de Nassau" did that come out this summer?

:previous: I don't know that he was asked and said no, but according to custom and law in Luxembourg reverting to your maiden name after a divorce is a normal practice which is why we have seen her referring to herself as Tessy Antony.

'Princess Tessy of Luxembourg' doesn't sound too dissimilar to 'Tessy of Luxembourg' and people in the UK usually don't usually bother with the details. So Princess Tessy of Luxembourg is the name that appears on tabloid headlines and later, by sheer dint of time, Tessy of L will be assumed to be a modern princess who is not worried about formality.

What about the Grand Ducal Royal Family who has to protect their House ?
I am sure they did not like the instagrams Tessy posted before the divorce.

Its rather bizarre request to have her surname as du Luxembourg post divorce seeing as she will no longer be a part of the Grand Ducal Family.

Its rather bizarre request to have her surname as du Luxembourg post divorce seeing as she will no longer be a part of the Grand Ducal Family.

the advantage is not to fade into obscurity, see Sarah Dutchess of York who could have become Sarah Ferguson again.
Because of the children, I think it's fair to go back to Tessy de Nassau.
There are lots of women who made a business of their ex's name, see Barbara Becker. She had a problematic divorce from Boris (filed for divorce in the US to get maximum money settlement) but even though she remarried and divorced again, she still bears the Becker surname to make sure the pink press doesnt forget about her and her jewellery design etc business model.

advert for the interview:
http://www.rtl.lu/lifestyle/people/1088261.html

Last edited:
Such as Diane of Furstenberg born in Belgium and Fabienne Delvigne both divorced but may keep their business surname.

Yolanda Hadid used to be Foster (second marriage) but reverted back to Hadid (first marriage), the surname of her first husband because her children are all Hadid, and thus more recognizable.

Seems like to me, Tessy wants to have the same name as her children.

Her children don't have the surname de Luxembourg though. They are Prince of Nassau so why should she get a different surname to her children? IMO she wants something to ensure she isn't forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom