Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. That dog don't hunt anymore. The boy's in love with Kate.

It works if you put them in their place at the very beginning.

I think William is smart enough to make the right choice, both for love and duty, when the time comes.

american

if william fell in love with an american would the queen allow them too marry?:confused:

sophie said:
if william fell in love with an american would the queen allow them too marry?:confused:
Why not? probably yes, if she's suitable for the role as Queen ad Princess, and is not Roman-Catholic, I don't see problems ;)

Legally there's no problems. Socially however....

Technically, William can marry anyone who is not a Roman Catholic, regardless of nationality, under the Royal Marriages Act. Constitutionally, however, The Queen would have to seek the advice of the Prime Minister before giving a formal answer because he is the spare to the throne.

Politically, William would have to marry a British girl from a practical standpoint.

If religion was an issue for Will to marry, I think it would work. I think they would make it happen either way. Will is a smart man and when its time for him to pick a wife, He would choose well. We are living in the 21 century. Thing have to change and the royal family needs to change with the times. People will never judge Will like they did with his parents. Will has grown up and see more of his shares of garbage. What ever happens and if he marrys Kate or whoever. Changes will happen and they will be Postive for everyone including The future King of England.

felicia said:
I think that's a bit mean.

Perhaps so...but IMHO. I just don't find her anywhere exciting (just because she's royal doesn't means she is or the best thing for William) or attractive for that matter. I'll move on with this one.;)

I think the public would prefer William to wait and make the right choice of wife than rushing into a marriage with some titled young lady or a girlfriend who he isn't completly sure that she's the 1. It would cause a lot less pain for everyone and would come out for the better in the long run!

I agree Rose1991. I think he will wait to marry (whoever that may be), instead of getting married to someone he may not completely be in love with, doesn't know, etc. and getting a divorce like his father. I think the times of choosing wives, husbands has passed BeatrixFan. He should marry someone who he will be happy with for the rest of his life.

ZandraRae said:
I think the times of choosing wives, husbands has passed BeatrixFan. He should marry someone who he will be happy with for the rest of his life.

I agree, he absolutely should and hopefully will. But I also think it is not as simple as him simply falling in love, and voila, she becomes the future queen. While all people should be able to marry someone they truly love, William is not an ordinary person, he is the future King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize and Saint Kitts and Nevis, and all His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Lord High Admiral, Defender of the Faith, Duke of Normandy, Duke of Lancaster and Lord of Mann (if or until that title is amended). Ultimately, being king or queen is to have a great deal of power, indirect if not direct, and while it would lovely for him to truly love the woman he marries, it is more important to his role as leader of those 16 nations to choose a woman who is suitable than one he loves. Now, there are many women in the world, and I'm sure he can find one whom he can love who is suitable, but were he to choose someone completely inappropriate, no matter how much he loved her, it would be incompatible with his role as king. With great power comes great responsibility, and his great responsibility may someday involve sacrificing personal passion for the sake of his people. In a Hollywood version of royalty, such a sacrifice would never be necessary, but in real life, sacrifices usually are. I absolutely wish him the best of luck in romance and hope he decides to marry someone who is also suitable to be a queen. However, I have to say, as one of his future subjects, I have not yet been overly impressed by his seeming reluctance to be king and would not be too pleased if he were to marry the woman of his dreams who just so happened to be an embarrassment to Britain. At the end of it, royals no longer actually rule, but merely symbolically reign and perform some constitutional functions. And in my opinion, since their role is so largely symbolic, and yet affords them so much privilege, they ought to be held to higher standards of public behaviour and should be expected to contract marriages that will, if not actively help, will not hurt their country. Once we expect no more from them than from the Smiths down the road, I feel that they become superfluous and should no longer hold their positions. I am happy to curtsey and be a subject to the Queen, but I see no reason to curtsey before Mrs. Smith in a tiara.

HRH Elizabeth,

Do you feel that Kate is an embarrassment of the type you described, or do you feel that she could ever possibly fulfill the role of Queen one day?

A number of postings and magazines are hinting that Prince William may not marry Kate. In that casr,why does nobody mention the very eligible Princess Theodora of Greece?

A number of postings and magazines are hinting that Prince William may not marry Kate.

I wonder how Kate would/will handle being dumped. I mean, she's currently at the top of the social heap right now, losing William will be a blow to her feelings and the ambitions of her family.

HRH Elizabeth said:
I agree, he absolutely should and hopefully will. But I also think it is not as simple as him simply falling in love, and voila, she becomes the future queen...
HRH Elizabeth, I feel exactly the same way. I agree with your post 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
rani said:
A number of postings and magazines are hinting that Prince William may not marry Kate. In that casr,why does nobody mention the very eligible Princess Theodora of Greece?

If you look at all my posts, you will see I mentioned her MANY times. She is the ideal wife and Queen for William.

Here is a picture of them together some years ago: Getty Images

52119479.jpg

I think it matters more for William to marry someone he respects and is happy to be with for the rest of his life. Everyone has a different criteria to what constitutes an ideal wife or huband. It's really unfair to impose one person's view onto another. In the two generations earlier, there were plenty of ideal unions that didn't result in personal happiness for the couples involved.

Ok, mutiple responses to multiple people, so bear with me.
TonyaR said:
HRH Elizabeth,

Do you feel that Kate is an embarrassment of the type you described, or do you feel that she could ever possibly fulfill the role of Queen one day?

I do not think Kate would be an embarrassment - to the contrary, she has behaved with great discretion. However, I think I have made it (hopefully tactfully) clear that I am not of the opinion that she is ideal for the role. If William chose her, I'm sure she would be adequate, but I personally think she lacks the charisma to be really brillant at it.

Incas said:
I think it matters more for William to marry someone he respects and is happy to be with for the rest of his life. Everyone has a different criteria to what constitutes an ideal wife or huband. It's really unfair to impose one person's view onto another. In the two generations earlier, there were plenty of ideal unions that didn't result in personal happiness for the couples involved.

I am not being sarcastic, but really wish to understand your point: do you truly think that the future king should choose a wife without so much as a thought as to his people's preferences or needs? It is a fine balance, because he shouldn't choose a woman simply because she is suitable as that would cause a horrid marriage, but to choose a woman without regard to suitable is a behaviour that quite frankly would make me uncertain about his suitability (not that I could change anything if I wished to). He has a duty to his people, and should he be unable to fulfill it, he could of course take himself out of the line of sucession, which I feel would be the honourable course if he chose someone unsuitable. If you and I were discussing William Smith down the road, I would be in complete agreement with you but the thing that confuses me about your argument is it completely ignores who he is. He has derived great wealth and power from the position to which he was born, and with all that comes duty. You cannot take one without the other. And I believe that if he tried to, it might well spell the end of the monarchy.

felicia said:
HRH Elizabeth, I feel exactly the same way. I agree with your post 100%

I'm so glad that someone does...I am trying so hard to be diplomatic, and of course respect everyone's opinions, but it's always nice to know that at least one other person thinks as you do.

HRH Elizabeth said:
I agree, he absolutely should and hopefully will. But I also think it is not as simple as him simply falling in love, and voila, she becomes the future queen. While all people should be able to marry someone they truly love, William is not an ordinary person, he is the future King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize and Saint Kitts and Nevis, and all His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Lord High Admiral, Defender of the Faith, Duke of Normandy, Duke of Lancaster and Lord of Mann (if or until that title is amended). Ultimately, being king or queen is to have a great deal of power, indirect if not direct, and while it would lovely for him to truly love the woman he marries, it is more important to his role as leader of those 16 nations to choose a woman who is suitable than one he loves.

Isn't this what his father did - chose a woman who was suitable for the position but not the one he loved?

Do we really want a repeat?

NO THIS IS NOT A C AND D THREAD merely a point about how the situation described failed his parents.

He MUST choose for love and love alone. As he is so popular whomever he chooses will be accepted simply because of the failure of his parents' marriage.

People want him to be able to choose the woman he loves because of the way things went in the past.

Now, there are many women in the world, and I'm sure he can find one whom he can love who is suitable, but were he to choose someone completely inappropriate, no matter how much he loved her, it would be incompatible with his role as king.

Please describe what you think would be a 'completely inappropriate' girl. From the experiences of other heirs to the throne over the last 35 years or so - those who have married have been the virginal aristocrat - marriage a disaster, a single mother with a past - seems a happy marriage, an Aussie 'social climber' (according to many people), again apparently happy marriage, a girl with a father with links to the some pretty awful people (Argentinian bad guys isn't it - I am not that familiar with all the European CPs so am operating from general knowledge), a divorced women who operated as a TV news/weather reader - again an apparently happy marriage. According to my interpretation of your description of the ideal woman only the first one would have met with your approval.

Thank goodness those ideas have gone and William will be able to marry for love - unlike his father. We now see how happy he is with the woman he loves.

With great power comes great responsibility, and his grearesponsibility may someday involve sacrificing personal passion for the sake of his people.

Like his parents??

In a Hollywood version of royalty, such a sacrifice would never be necessary, but in real life, sacrifices usually are.

This young man has the example of the 'sacrifices' of his parents to go on and will avoid that situation for all he's worth.

I absolutely wish him the best of luck in romance and hope he decides to marry someone who is also suitable to be a queen. However, I have to say, as one of his future subjects, I have not yet been overly impressed by his seeming reluctance to be king and would not be too pleased if he were to marry the woman of his dreams who just so happened to be an embarrassmentto Britain.

As one of the citizens of one of his future realms I have no problem with the woman he is currently dating. She is discreet and appears to be in no hurry to rush him down the altar. She will be fully aware of her responsibilities when and if she enters the Abbey, Cathedral or wherever the marriage takes place.

At the end of it, royals no longer actually rule, but merely symbolically reign and perform some constitutional functions. And in my opinion, since their role is so largely symbolic, and yet affords them so much privilege, they ought to be held to higher standards of public behaviour and should be expected to contract marriages that will, if not actively help, will not hurt their country.

The only way the marriage would hurt their country is if it was to become a soap opera like his parents' marriage - the one where the bride was chosen due to suitability for the role and not because of a strong love between the couple and ended up with the daily revelations of both of them.

Once we expect no more from them than from the Smiths down the road, I feel that they become superfluous and should no longer hold their positions. I am happy to curtsey and be a subject to the Queen, but I see no reason to curtsey before Mrs. Smith in a tiara.

I disagree - we cannot just choose whom we love - our hearts do that.

Sorry but I simply can't agree with your analysis that William has to marry a suitable woman even if she isn't the woman he truly loves.

He MUST have a woman by his side who is in complete union with him - one whom he can lean on and can support. He needs to look to the example of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh for a marriage - Philip wasn't deemed suitable at the time because he was 'foreign', had brothers-in-law who had fought for Germany but she fought for him because he was the one he truly loved (and from all the pictures and films I have ever seen of them that love is still very strong between them). William needs a partner who will support and love him the way Philip has loved and supported Elizabeth and the way Elizabeth the Queen Mum loved and supported George VI.

Chrissy57, I totally agree with the last part of your post, well, acutally all of it, but especially the last part. William needs someone by his side who he can if needed be, take adivice from, lean on, etc. I think Kate is someone who may be able to do that for him. I'm not saying they should go and get married now, but in a couple of years, if they still are in love, I see no reason for them not to tie the knot. :lol: I like William, and I think he will make a great king. I would like to see a great queen by his side though.

I have a question about Princess Theodora. Does the Greek family live in the spotlight? Are they wellknown in Europe? I ask because if so, she would have experience with the public eye, etc.

Hopefully, William will find someone that will be a good Queen and he can love her. It seems as if the British are getting a little disgusted with the Royals and his choice will be very important.

However, I don't think that what he wants should override for the good of the country. As I have said somewhere else about Prince Felipe, these Princes get many benefits for being Heirs. William has very little sacrifices to make so he should be willing to choose a woman that does his country credit.

I mean, really, do you expect him to be faithful? The more I read about England, etc. I wonder if ANY of the wealthy people are faithful to their mates.

If he married Princess Theodora, she would know the system and would accept it. She would have an assured future, a place of honor for the rest of her life and children to raise. If she is discreet, she can even have her own men on the side.

The problem with Theodora, or any of the products of current royal marriages, is that her parents married for love. She would not accept a marriage of convenience & I doubt that her parents would countenance such a marriage. Surprisingly I think Pavlos & M-C do love each other and Alexia certainly married for love so I doubt that King Constantine & Queen Anne-Marie would want anything less for their younger daughter.

People marry for different reasons-not always for love, even among non-royals.

Some people get married because they share the same values and are both part of something they believe in. Its not necessarily love but mutual respect and a shared vision. Queen Mary and King George V were a good example of that.

From purely a genetic standpoint, I think it would be best to have some more "common" blood enter the bloodline to try and undo some of the damage that hundreds of years of royal inbreeding has done.

As much as Theodora may be a good match for William in other ways, let's not forget that as King of England, William will have a role in the British government. The Greek government may not look to kindly at the idea of the daughter of their deposed monarch sitting on the throne of England as William's consort. Political considerations most likely will factor into her suitability.

I CAN see your point that this could be a problem. However, since Prince Philip was able to marry the Queen why wouldn't William be able to marry Theodora?

I know NOTHING of Greek politics, (and know that we are not supposed to bring them up) however, is there any issue about the Royals now? Has the British Royal Family even visited Greece recently?

Another thing, why would Greece care? If Greece sent the Family away, how could they have control over who they married now? Would the Russian government interfer if William wanted to marry a Romanov princess? Or Germany a German princess? How much control does a country have over its former Royalty? Its not like she will make William go to war to put her dad back on the throne!

European Princess:
Princess Charlotte of Monaco
Elizabeth Von Thurn of Germany
Princess Theodora of Greece
Princess Scilla Ruffo of Italy
Princess Madeleine of Sweden

British Aristocracy:
Lady Rosanagh Innes-Ker
Lady Eloise Anson
Honourable Alexandra Knatchbull
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Lady Edwina Grosvenor

Holly Branson seems like a good choice too :)
I think Will's said he didn't plan on getting married until he's in his late 20's so we've got a few years to go.

Joy, Charlotte Casiraghi and the German and Italian Princesses are Roman Catholic.
If William were to marry one of them he would immediately disqualify himself from the Line of Succession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom