Other Danish Royal and Noble Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: She had no children to leave the tiara to herself, so there is some hope. I guess she could have willed it to one of her nieces, but they would have little use for a tiara and would likely end up like the Rosenberg tiara, sold off.

If it does end up with the nieces, and they sell it, would hope the royal family would be given first dibs on purchasing it from them.

Its beautiful tiara and a shame to see it lost to the family if it was.

I agree, she had no children of hr own, and the tiara was not part of her personal effects that were auctioned following her death by Bruun Rasmussen. This is exactly why I think the tiara may well now be in the royal vaults, patiently awaiting its debut at the right time.

:previous: She had no children to leave the tiara to herself, so there is some hope. I guess she could have willed it to one of her nieces, but they would have little use for a tiara and would likely end up like the Rosenberg tiara, sold off.

If it does end up with the nieces, and they sell it, would hope the royal family would be given first dibs on purchasing it from them.

Its beautiful tiara and a shame to see it lost to the family if it was.

But then the sapphire tiara from their mother seems also not have been offered to the RF for buying back as it was auctioned.

But then the sapphire tiara from their mother seems also not have been offered to the RF for buying back as it was auctioned.

That may well be because the Rosenborg's probably wanted to maximise the financial return for their children, and the DRF would not have been willing to pay the maximum price for the tiara that it may fetch at auction.

That may well be because the Rosenborg's probably wanted to maximise the financial return for their children, and the DRF would not have been willing to pay the maximum price for the tiara that it may fetch at auction.

So when they own the sapphire tiara of the late Princess Elisabeth one could assume that they would do they same with it.

So when they own the sapphire tiara of the late Princess Elisabeth one could assume that they would do they same with it.

Difficult to tell the financial arrangements between the late Princess Elizabeth and the DRF main line. My guess is as she did not have children of her own, she probably either left the tiara to the main line, or they probably gave her some money in her lifetime on the understanding that she left the tiara to them.

Difficult to tell the financial arrangements between the late Princess Elizabeth and the DRF main line. My guess is as she did not have children of her own, she probably either left the tiara to the main line, or they probably gave her some money in her lifetime on the understanding that she left the tiara to them.

To me her logical heris woulö be her brother and her nieces if not other arrangements have been made previously.

So who knows perhaps the tiara is now with Count Ingolf as he was her closest relative.

To me her logical heris woulö be her brother and her nieces if not other arrangements have been made previously.

So who knows perhaps the tiara is now with Count Ingolf as he was her closest relative.

I agree, it is entirely possible the tiara is now with Ingolf and his children.

I agree, it is entirely possible the tiara is now with Ingolf and his children.

He has no children so it could be ending up with the three nieces after all.

He has no children so it could be ending up with the three nieces after all.

It would be odd if the nieces would be happy to sell the tiara won by their mother and keep the one worn by their aunt. I am just hoping that Elizabeth's tiara is headed Mary's way, though she will wait for some time to wear it.

I do hope this tiara has found its way back to the main line, and will pop up on Mary in the next reign, along with the Russian sapphire and diamond demi-parure currently in use by QMII.
The sapphire tiara of the late Princess Elisabeth has never been in the main line of the Danish RF, so it can't go 'back'. It can only go there for the first time. I won't be sorry if it will ;), but I don't have my hopes up too high. With four children, it would be nice if the DRF assembled a pool of tiaras for the next generation. But maybe they are looking for smaller pieces, like Mary's antique ruby and spinel tiara.

The sapphire tiara of the late Princess Elisabeth has never been in the main line of the Danish RF, so it can't go 'back'. It can only go there for the first time. I won't be sorry if it will ;), but I don't have my hopes up too high. With four children, it would be nice if the DRF assembled a pool of tiaras for the next generation. But maybe they are looking for smaller pieces, like Mary's antique ruby and spinel tiara.

All valid points. The tiara will go well with the existing Russian sapphire demi-parure that the Queen uses. It will also go some way in replenishing the stock of tiara's for the next generation, given that 6 tiaras have left the main line in last 50 years or so (2 each to Benedikte and Anne-Marie, and 2 to the wives of Joachim)

My understanding was that only 3 tiara's have left the main line . Princess's Benedikte and Anne Marie both left with tiaras created from brooch's , they later inherited the Pearl & Star tiara & the Khedive tiara respectively , both of which came into the main Danish line with the late Queen Ingrid . Yes the Alexandrine Drop Tiara is no longer in the main line , but HRH Princess Marie only has a lifetime loan of Princess Dagmar's floral tiara

My understanding was that only 3 tiara's have left the main line . Princess's Benedikte and Anne Marie both left with tiaras created from brooch's , they later inherited the Pearl & Star tiara & the Khedive tiara respectively , both of which came into the main Danish line with the late Queen Ingrid . Yes the Alexandrine Drop Tiara is no longer in the main line , but HRH Princess Marie only has a lifetime loan of Princess Dagmar's floral tiara

The fringe tiara now with Count Ingolf has once also belonged to the main line. But there are not many tiaras which have passed from through the generations in the main line as they usually are personal property (with the exception of the emeralds and the pearl tiara).

I do hope this tiara has found its way back to the main line, and will pop up on Mary in the next reign, along with the Russian sapphire and diamond demi-parure currently in use by QMII.

I was also thinking it would look wonderful on Crown Princess Mary and would be a wonderful addition to the family collection.

You are absolutely right in what you say. But the fact remains that the Danish "main line" collection has six fewer tiaras now than they had when Ingrid was first Queen. I appreciate that Marie has only been lent the tiara, but I would be surprised if she did not get to keep the tiara as long as she is married to Joachim.

Whilst a new tiara was acquired for Mary at the time of her wedding and she has acquired a tiara recently, they are both hardly significabnt tiaras. Lets just hope Elizabeth's tiara ends up with Mary.

I don't know if Princess Caroline Mathilde had personal jewels ?

Last edited:
Lets just hope Elizabeth's tiara ends up with Mary.

Considering history, it would be even more logical if Queen Alexandrine's diamond tiara would go back to main line, as it was wedding anniversary from King of Denmark to the Queen of Denmark and the last known owner of this tiara was also Princess Elisabeth.

Don't know whereabouts now, but I assume it is either with Elisabeth's brother Ingolf or her nieces. If auctioned it would have probably be known.

If anyone has a update concerning Princess Elisabeth's jewels and whereabouts, please inform us. :)

Last night Countess Susie wore fringe tiara at the banquet celebrating HM's Golden Jubilee. She also wore the Greek key choker - the first time we see the complete jewel since the days of Queen Alexandrine. I wonder if the sections that were with Count Christian and Princess Elisabeth were returned to Count Ingolf after their respective deaths?
Princess Elisabeth and Countess Anne Dorte wore 3 sections of the jewel as brooches, while Countess Susie wore the remaining part as bracelet.

Photo (LINK) courtesy of Billed Bladet.

Last night Countess Susie wore fringe tiara at the banquet celebrating HM's Golden Jubilee. She also wore the Greek key choker - the first time we see the complete jewel since the days of Queen Alexandrine. I wonder if the sections that were with Count Christian and Princess Elisabeth were returned to Count Ingolf after their respective deaths?
Princess Elisabeth and Countess Anne Dorte wore 3 sections of the jewel as brooches, while Countess Susie wore the remaining part as bracelet.

Photo (LINK) courtesy of Billed Bladet.

It is really a stunning looking choker!

Princess Thyra's sapphire tiara will be auctioned by Bruun Rasmussen. The tiara was owned by Pss Elisabeth of Denmark.

https://bruun-rasmussen.dk/m/lots/4036F5ABDB39?

What a great pity that the RF did not find a way to keep it. I had hoped the Pss might have left the tiara to Prince Christian or ideally to the Crown Princess.

An art deco emerald & diamond bracelet will also be auctioned.

https://bruun-rasmussen.dk/m/lots/50A79A4AEE5E?

Courtesy: Stig at the RJWMB

Last edited:
Well that tiara with the interchangeable sapphires and turquoise would look stunning on CP Mary. And she needs another tiara too.

What a great pity that the RF did not find a way to keep it. I had hoped the Pss might have left the tiara to Prince Christian or ideally to the Crown Princess.

Agreed! The DRF doesn't have many good quality "secondary" tiaras in their vault anymore. It makes you wonder what Christian's wife will be relegated to wearing if he marries while QM is still alive since his own mother doesn't have a particularly large collection at her disposal.

Bruun Rasmussen sold Countess Ann Dorte tiara 2.000.000 to a Dane . I hope he will buy Princess Elisabeth tiara. The Princess left her Romanov Brooch and a Bracelet to Roseborg Museum.

Agreed! The DRF doesn't have many good quality "secondary" tiaras in their vault anymore. It makes you wonder what Christian's wife will be relegated to wearing if he marries while QM is still alive since his own mother doesn't have a particularly large collection at her disposal.

Well if Christian marries at around the same age Frederik did that will mean almost another 20 years....so QMII would be over 100 and poor Frederik would still be heir at almost about 75....maybe they'd just skip poor Frederik at that point....then Christian's spouse would have ready access to big tiaras.

That is such a disappointment! Since it is some years since Princess Elisabeth has passed on, I had hoped that the tiara was safe. And with four children of the CP couple it would have made sense to keep it in the family.

That is really a pity. I don't expect the Rf to buy it at the auction because i guess that would have done in private. Really a waisted opportunity.

The estimated price is between 600.000 and 800.000 Danish Crowns (80.000-105.000 Euros). Not something most of us could miss, but one imagines that the RF could have chipped together that amount if they had wanted to.

It is indeed not likely that it will be bought at the auction. It wil be too public and people will know the price. The tiara will be lost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom