Names and Godparents for Harry and Meghan's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that it wasn't possible to call a child Princess in the UK as that was part of the royal prerogative.. And I can't imagine why Anyone would think that Meghan would want her child to be called after anything royal, even a trad royal name like Elizabeth or Victoria or Alexandra. It would be pretty odd since they did't even give a royal name to Archie and when he was born, they were still working royals settled in the UK. I would have thought too that very few people give a child the same name as their parent nowadays, except as a second name.. so I would not expect Meghan.. I'd expect a name that they like and then possible Meghan or Diana.

Actually it was not a snide remark - I know many little girls called Princess and Royal actually, if rather sad, and Queenie is from the Roots novels. I do think that Meghan will like to honor her American heritage here. So my husband has money on Rosa, as in Rosa Parks - my kids think the same is going to be Freedom or America. I like the actor America Ferreira so that would be a good choice. I think they are going to name the child after herself, Meghan.

Princess is currently no.797 on baby names in the US
https://babynames.com/name/Princess

I doubt they will name the child Freedom or America. And I doubt there will be a Meghan, Jr. Peter and Autumn did name one of their children Savannah, which is a popular name in the US now and more "conservative" than Freedom or America.

It is a fair question - Currently in my kids' school there is 2 Princes , 1 Earl and 1 Princess and I know a Queen Mary.
None of them are entitled - at least to my knowledge. The girl named Princess goes by Cessie and believe it or not, Queen Mary was named after the hospital. She is on her way to becoming a doctor so will one day be Doctor Queen Mary.
I think you can name your kids what you want, in limits of course Elon Musk - or clearly no-one is stopping people at the register office.

I get your argument - fell the same when people name their kids Doctor and Judge.

Last edited:
It is a fair question - Currently in my kids' school there is 2 Princes , 1 Earl and 1 Princess and I know a Queen Mary.
None of them are entitled - at least to my knowledge. The girl named Princess goes by Cessie and believe it or not, Queen Mary was named after the hospital. She is on her way to becoming a doctor so will one day be Doctor Queen Mary.
I think you can name your kids what you want, in limits of course Elon Musk - or clearly no-one is stopping people at the register office.

I get your argument - fell the same when people name their kids Doctor and Judge.

I'm sure I read it somewhere that its not possible in the UK.. but I suppose not all registrars are strict about it. And in the US they can call the child anything they like but i think it would look rather pointed to give the baby a name like Princess when they raised the issue of their children "not" being given HRH

For two people that are adamant about being good parents, I would think that they'd consider the implications of any name they give their daughter. Especially as the parents are so well known and their kids will be "of interest" to the general public as they grow up. Also, kids can be cruel with nicknames. Then again, they can come up with something out of thin air sometimes no matter what the name of the child is.

For two people that are adamant about being good parents, I would think that they'd consider the implications of any name they give their daughter. Especially as the parents are so well known and their kids will be "of interest" to the general public as they grow up. Also, kids can be cruel with nicknames. Then again, they can come up with something out of thin air sometimes no matter what the name of the child is.

oh come on, i think any name can induce jokes.. but to give one of their children a name like Princess or Queen would look very odd when they have raised issues about their kids not getting the title of Prince or Princess. And why call a child by a "royal" name when you clearly feel alienated from the royal family and system.

Faith and Temperance are names given to early settlers that came over to America from England. Not used much anymore. Genealogy charts abound with these names in early times.

Faith is actually #136 on the SSA list of most popular names for girls born in 2020, Hope is #204, and Temperance is #854. So, I'll give you that Temperance isn't used much anymore but Faith and Hope most certainly are.

Interestingly, Charity is another virtue name and I would have thought it would rank higher than Temperance but it doesn't - it's #995.

Other virtue names - Grace #28, Honor not ranked, Justice #575, Mercy #814, Providence not ranked, Prudence not ranked, Purity not ranked, Treasure #729.

Social Security Administration Popular Names List

I expect odd, non-royal names and that we are not told the names of the godparents.

Im not sure why they'd call a child after a tv series that was on the air mabye 15 years ago....

Im not sure why they'd call a child after a tv series that was on the air mabye 15 years ago....

I was being facetious, actually. I think the name that they do pick will be one they like and suitable to their child. Of course if they really want to go with a name that is biblically old and even aristocratic, I'd let them use *my* name which is "Deborah".

Even with that staunch name, I had a guy (a friend actually) in high school that used to look at me and say "take off de bra" with a silly grin. :D

Last edited:
Years ago a male relative got a letter from a friend about the friend’s new daughter, read it and remarked to his wife ‘What a name! De boor ah!’ His wife nearly laughed herself silly.

I am sticking with Lily or the moment, as nothing else seems to be coming up. Someone suggested Amy the other day, which is nice.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think it will be something short and cute/nicknamey like the names that are currently in style in the UK (less so in the US) -- but not an expected, traditional royal style name. Poppy actually falls along with those lines pretty well.

For virtue names, I could see them using Clementine (if it weren't so long, since that's a bit mismatched with Archie...would be different if he were Archibald "Archie"). It's derived from Clement, meaning "merciful" and I feel like that fits with their constant "compassion" theme, plus it's a citrus fruit and I feel like Meghan's really into their lemon trees in the backyard so it's close enough. And Clementine is in among certain IG crowds that feel like a similar style as Meghan.

But I do basically think we can't predict it, aside from Diana or some variation being a middle.

What if Diane with an e at the end, not an a, was used? It is not Diana. It is possible as a first or middle name.

Actually it was not a snide remark - I know many little girls called Princess and Royal actually, if rather sad, and Queenie is from the Roots novels. I do think that Meghan will like to honor her American heritage here. So my husband has money on Rosa, as in Rosa Parks - my kids think the same is going to be Freedom or America. I like the actor America Ferreira so that would be a good choice. I think they are going to name the child after herself, Meghan.

Princess is currently no.797 on baby names in the US
https://babynames.com/name/Princess

Right, suggestions like "Regina Gloriana" and "Queen" are "names" you legitimately think H&M would consider for their daughter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, suggestions like "Regina Gloriana" and "Queen" are "names" you legitimately think H&M would consider for their daughter?

I find them rather odd names - but I didn't make any such suggestions. I have siad that I dont think its possible to guess what they'll choose.. as there are no "pointers" as there usually are with royals.

I was being facetious, actually. I think the name that they do pick will be one they like and suitable to their child. Of course if they really want to go with a name that is biblically old and even aristocratic, I'd let them use *my* name which is "Deborah".

Even with that staunch name, I had a guy (a friend actually) in high school that used to look at me and say "take off de bra" with a silly grin. :D

[…]Dont see them going for bible names.. Its relaly hard to guess iwth them because its easier to say what names they almost certainly WONT give.

[…]And pointers? Did anyone guess August Brooksbank's name? Pretty sure little to no one guessed Princess Josephine of Denmark or Sweden's Prince Julian's names. Lots of "pointers" there but they were given names their parents liked. Just like Archie was. And lots of people have guessed that they'd give a nod to Diana or Philip. Or like Archie's Harrison, some type of reference to either of her parents. There's pointers for you right there.

And pointers? Did anyone guess August Brooksbank's name? Pretty sure little to no one guessed Princess Josephine of Denmark or Sweden's Prince Julian's names. Lots of "pointers" there but they were given names their parents liked. Just like Archie was. And lots of people have guessed that they'd give a nod to Diana or Philip. Or like Archie's Harrison, some type of reference to either of her parents. There's pointers for you right there.

As for August Brookbank I pointed out that because Bea and Eugenie are minor royals it IS hard to guess what names they are likely to go for and that many minor royals have chosen unusual names. But Harry was a senior royal, so one would expect to be able to make a guess. However they chose unusual names for Archie and I would guess that this baby will have something even harder to guess.
As for Meghan since she's not on terms with any of her family except Doria, Its hard to guess what names might be chosen form that side of the family and now, it seems, Harry is not on terms with any of HIS family so I think that Philippa, Charlotte, Anne, even Elizabeth are out.

I think some of us are taking this thread a bit too serious :flowers:

this is by nature a 'chit chat' thread with 'fluff' in it, because it is pointless to have facts on the name of an unborn child (except for the parents)(which none of us are)(i assume)

so we post in this thread to muse a bit, speculate, procrastinate when we have more useful work to do but don't feel like it, and there's nothing more to it.

any post with 'could the name be...' can be answered with 'yes it could' ?
but i enjoy reading why some people think up some of the names
and sometimes there are names i think are cool, and others think are oldfashioned and vice versa (like 'Mia'...in dutch that's a very old fashioned name)

if you're not into chitchat threads, this is not the one for you :flowers:

with well known royals there's usually some chance of guessing right as they tend to have a limited pool of suitable names. But with Harry, I'm sure no-one guessed Archie Harrison. Harrison is an American type name, which is fine but it makes it hard to guess... they could have just called the baby Archie Henry...

A few posts have been deleted. Let’s please not start arguing about baby names. Any further disruptive posts will be deleted.

As for August Brookbank I pointed out that because Bea and Eugenie are minor royals it IS hard to guess what names they are likely to go for and that many minor royals have chosen unusual names. But Harry was a senior royal, so one would expect to be able to make a guess. However they chose unusual names for Archie and I would guess that this baby will have something even harder to guess.
As for Meghan since she's not on terms with any of her family except Doria, Its hard to guess what names might be chosen form that side of the family and now, it seems, Harry is not on terms with any of HIS family so I think that Philippa, Charlotte, Anne, even Elizabeth are out.

And as I pointed out regarding your insistence on a "limited pool of suitable names", Harry is not in direct line of succession. A major catastrophe would need to happen before his children are even remotely close to the throne. So why should he and Meghan limit themselves to "suitable" names? Besides, Harry's current position does mirror that of Beatrice and Eugenie ?

The intricacies of H&M's familial relationships are pure speculation. You have no idea who they are (or were) "on terms with" and who they aren't.

Perhaps, they will go for unusual but not horrid names? (children of celebrities often have unusual but horrid names).

Effie, Elodie, Aria, Aviana, Dinah, Corinna, Gianna, Isis, Layla, Kaia, Marlowe, Oriana, Royce, Sia, Sena, Waverly, Weylyn, Willa, Zariah, Zaylee.

Perhaps, they will go for unusual but not horrid names? (children of celebrities often have unusual but horrid names).

Effie, Elodie, Aria, Aviana, Dinah, Corinna, Gianna, Isis, Layla, Kaia, Marlowe, Oriana, Royce, Sia, Sena, Waverly, Weylyn, Willa, Zariah, Zaylee.

Harrison was OK but Archie was IMO awful.. so is Archibald... Ugly sounding and impossible to abbreviate. Ark? Arch?.
I dont know what to expect wiht this child....

What if Diane with an e at the end, not an a, was used? It is not Diana. It is possible as a first or middle name.

Interesting thought. Especially for a first name. In that way the child would have her own name but with a very clear link to her paternal grandmother.

Harrison was OK but Archie was IMO awful.. so is Archibald... Ugly sounding and impossible to abbreviate. Ark? Arch?.
I dont know what to expect wiht this child....

I thought once that Archie is an abbreviation/diminutive from Archibald.

Last edited:
I thought once that Archie is an sbbreviation/diminutive from Archibald.
Yes of course it is, but they chose to use an Abbreviation as a full name. Perhaps they thought that Archibald is not a nice name and might lead to "Baldy" jokes.

I think, as time gets closer, I'm still sticking with my original train of thought. Oftentimes with royal babies I find that as we get closer I change my mind or my guess but in this case, I still think my original thoughts are fitting.

I fully expect then to go for something very California, hippy-ish, nature inspired, possibly female-icon inspired, etc. I'm expecting something along the lines of Poppy, Willow, Wren, Lark, Harlow, Maya, Lily, or something similar.

Maya and Lily are hippy California? Lol.

Lily is apparently very popular in the US now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom