Names and Godparents for Harry and Meghan's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Countessmeout

Imperial Majesty
City
alberta
Country
Canada
We are spoiled this year for name guessing with three royal great-grandchildren for the queen to take guesses on.

Baby Sussex 2 will be as unpredictable to guess a name on as the Tindalls' baby after Archie Harrison :D

My guess is it will be a new name and no godparents.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if it's a girl my guess is it's some combination of Diana and Dorita. And I don't think they'll be any godparents. That's a royal thing.

But if it's a girl my guess is it's some combination of Diana and Dorita. And I don't think they'll be any godparents. That's a royal thing.

Actually no, its a Christian thing.....

We don't even know the name of Archie's godparents so we will also not known about the ones of this chld as now as non-working Royals they will haven even more reasons to not make them knows.

Since when is godparents a royal thing???? Its an infant baptism thing. I have never heard of an infant baptized/christened without a godparent. If you are an anibaptist and baptize later in life, then yes no on godparents.

But as Stefan points out since Archie's godparents are unknown, I doubt we will ever know this kid's.

Yes but it's also a royal thing. And she converted. My prediction is no godparents and no traditional names unless it's a girl. Then named after her mother and his mother.

It is royal to have several god parents but every child or adult baptised has a god parent or sponsor. We will probably never know the names of the god parents but if the child is baptised then there will be at least one godparent.

I'm predicting that this baby will be another boy- although a girl would be fun, too!

As for names, I don't expect them to go with anything traditionally royal. They've painted themselves as the successors to Diana's legacy, so I could see them honoring her somehow. Maybe naming a boy Spencer or Hunter (since Diana was the goddess of the hunt), or a girl Luna or Selene (Diana was often considered a "triple goddess" of the hunt, the moon, and the underworld... Luna or Selene could be honoring the "moon" aspect). I think whatever they go with will probably have a deeper meaning to them as a couple, as Archie's name did (named after the concept of arche).

I think that they will keep the godparents private like they did with Archie. It will be interesting to see if the baby will be able to be baptized in the UK as an infant with ongoing COVID restrictions. They may wait until he or she is older and they can more easily travel, or do the christening in the US.

I think it will be a girl with Frances or Alexandra in the name, maybe Alexandra Frances or for a boy it will be Liam Henry

This thread is not about Harry and Meghan’s decision to leave royal life. Nor is it a thread to rehash their relationship with family members. Let’s stick with the topic - names and godparents. Further off-topic comments will be deleted.

My prediction is that baby Sussex is a girl.

As for names. If it is a girl it is pretty certain Diana will be in there. With Harry and Meghan it wouldn't surprise me if they use it for a first name so I will guess Diana Doria. With maybe Deedee as a nickname.

For a boy I will guess something like Max Spencer, with Spencer for Diana's maiden name.

Yes but it's also a royal thing. And she converted. My prediction is no godparents and no traditional names unless it's a girl. Then named after her mother and his mother.
No, it is NOT a "royal thing"... If they wish the child to be baptised, they'll have godparents.... it would be the same whatever rank in society they have. Unless you mean that they wont have the baby baptised....

It is royal to have several god parents but every child or adult baptised has a god parent or sponsor. We will probably never know the names of the god parents but if the child is baptised then there will be at least one godparent.

Its actually traditional in the Anglican church to have 3 godparents, even for a commoner. 2 of the same gender of the baby, and one of the opposite.

Outside of the Anglican faith having two is pretty standard.

Now if you go Filipino baptisms they often have an army of godparents.

Its actually traditional in the Anglican church to have 3 godparents, even for a commoner. 2 of the same gender of the baby, and one of the opposite.

Outside of the Anglican faith having two is pretty standard.

Now if you go Filipino baptisms they often have an army of godparents.

I am not surfing the net looking for comparisons I was only saying that it was not only royals that have god parents, I thought the poster was possibly referring to the number of god parents, the royals at times have had 6 god parents per child.

If a girl they may call her Diana Doria Elisabeth or a name of the main Godparent. If a boy it may be Charles Spencer Bill, or George. Godparent the Clooney's or the Fosters, maybe even Oprah, Hillary? didn't I read they are friends.?

Let’s move on from the discussion about whether godparents are a royal thing.

Who knows. Maybe twins of each gender, which would be nice. Or female twins. Failing that, either a girl or another boy. ?

Names, I'm not sure. Whatever they choose, most likely won't be traditional.

Possibly, Alvin for a boy to honor Meghan's maternal grandfather. Victoria (Tori) Jeanette for a girl, or Doriana (combining Doria with Diana) -- Dori or Ria for short.

Maybe Alvin Tristan, for a boy.

Last edited:
Trust me to be asleep here in Australia when this news came through! (It's now 8am.) I am SO happy for them both. Hope it's twins, a boy and a girl! A girl could have Doria in the name or Elizabeth.

After Archie, I suspect Meghan and Harry will choose another unconventional name (or for royalty, at least), so it's harder to predict this time!

If a girl they may call her Diana Doria Elisabeth or a name of the main Godparent. If a boy it may be Charles Spencer Bill, or George. Godparent the Clooney's or the Fosters, maybe even Oprah, Hillary? didn't I read they are friends.?

I sort of doubt that a boy would be named Charles, especially not as a first name. I'm not sure about godparents. But perhaps they won't be restricted this time under the rules of the Church of England. As I believe in the Church of England only godparents of Protestant or Catholic faith are chosen. That's why Archie's godparents would not be any of Meghan's friends who are Jewish (Misha, Jessica, Lindsay) or Jehovah's Witness (Serena).

I wonder with this new baby's christening happening in the U.S., whether M&H would have more leeway regarding who they choose. If so, I'd bet Oprah, Amal Clooney, Ellen, James Corden, and possibly Gloria Steinem might be in the running. Maybe Harry's good polo friend, Nacho Figueras, and possibly Tristan Harris (of The Social Dilemma), et al. The Sussexes have made some good new friends since they left Great Britain. And they are now living closer to some of their old friends.

Archie's godparents were never officially revealed, but I believe on Harry's side it's Tiggy Legge-Bourke, Charlie van Straubenzee, and Mark Dyer. On Meghan's side, I would guess Benita Litt, Genevieve Hillis, and Markus Anderson.

A girl - Diana Frances

Hmmm, I don't think they would do that to a daughter. It's more likely combining both of their mother's names and honoring either Meghan's maternal grandmother in some respect too, such as Doriana Jeanette, or something completely unexpected in the way they chose Archie's name.

The fact that they chose 'Harrison' for Archie's middle name made me think M&H saw the name suggestion thread on TRF where a poster whose name I don't remember had the brilliant idea of 'Harrison' as a possibility. M&H were on the same page. LOL

Last edited:
A girl - Lloyce after Doria (her middle name)

I wonder where the name, Lloyce originates. I'm more familiar with Joyce. I would think Joyce over Lloyce for a first name. And I'd think Jeanette is possible for a middle name to honor both Meghan's maternal grandmother (Jeanette) and her maternal great-grandmother (Netty).

Paternal grandmother's name for Meghan is Doris May. So that's even more reason for possibly Doriana Jeanette as a name for a girl. Or Doriana Joy!

Here's a genealogical chart showing some of the names on Meghan's father's side and Meghan's genealogical connection to Harry and Diana through her father. Harry & Meghan are 17th cousins, I believe:
https://media.americanancestors.org/uploadedfiles/content/features/meghan-markle-chart.pdf

Last edited:
I sort of doubt that a boy would be named Charles, especially not as a first name. I'm not sure about godparents. But perhaps they won't be restricted this time under the rules of the Church of England. As I believe in the Church of England only godparents of Protestant or Catholic faith are chosen. That's why Archie's godparents would not be any of Meghan's friends who are Jewish (Misha, Jessica, Lindsay) or Jehovah's Witness (Serena).

I wonder with this new baby's christening happening in the U.S., whether M&H would have more leeway regarding who they choose. If so, I'd bet Oprah, Amal Clooney, Ellen, James Corden, and possibly Gloria Steinem might be in the running. Maybe Harry's good polo friend, Nacho Figueras, and possibly Tristan Harris (of The Social Dilemma), et al. The Sussexes have made some good new friends since they left Great Britain. And they are now living closer to some of their old friends.

Archie's godparents were never officially revealed, but I believe on Harry's side it's Tiggy Legge-Bourke, Charlie van Straubenzee, and Mark Dyer. On Meghan's side, I would guess Benita Litt, Genevieve Hillis, and Markus Anderson.

Hmmm, I don't think they would do that to a daughter. It's more likely combining both of their mother's names and honoring either Meghan's maternal grandmother in some respect too, such as Doriana Jeanette, or something completely unexpected in the way they chose Archie's name.

The fact that they chose 'Harrison' made me think they were checking the name suggestion thread here where a poster whose name I don't remember had the brilliant idea of 'Harrison' as a possibility, and M&H were on the same page. LOL

Its not a matter of not being baptized in the UK.

The baby will be baptized in the Anglican faith (since both his parents are Anglican). The same rules apply to who can be an Anglican godparent, whether baptized in a church in LA or in London. A Jewish godparent is still out of the question for a godparent. Witness is another matter.

Unless I guess Harry and Meghan both convert from Anglican faith. But I don't know any protestant/catholic church that allows a Jewish godparent.

The child may very well be baptized in the UK. They have made it known they plan to continue to have a place in England. They want their children to know both sides. Harry was baptized in the UK and he will likely want his family around for the baptism A baptism,even not for Harry and Meghan's kid, is private in the UK (we only saw photos leaving for the Cambridge kids). So they could choose the same godparents in the UK as in the US.

I don't see Lloyce as a first name. Or Doriana. Doriana maybe as a middle name if they choose to only give the baby one middle name so they can honor both grandmothers. I think we will see an original first name like Archie and something far more fashionable.

Olivia
Amelia
Ava
Sophia
Grace
Lily
Freya

Those are the top 10 most popular girls names (that aren't currently in use in the royal family as Mia, Isabella and Isla are all top 10).

boys:
Oliver
Noah
Arthur
Leo
Oscar

(other names in top 10 either in use/close like Charlie, Harry, George and Jack, and I dont see Mohammed making the list).

Last edited:
I'm sensing it's another boy, and also think the baby may well be christened in England, with the Queen present this time. Don't know about Prince Philip as he might be at Sandringham. Harry and Meghan might ask Eugenie and Jack to be godparents which would be lovely. I like the name Leo but think they will again go for something out of the box.

Last edited:
Since when is godparents a royal thing???? Its an infant baptism thing. I have never heard of an infant baptized/christened without a godparent. If you are an anibaptist and baptize later in life, then yes no on godparents.

But as Stefan points out since Archie's godparents are unknown, I doubt we will ever know this kid's.

It does exist ? I am just one of many examples as I don't have godparents and was christened at a few weeks old... Just like my siblings, my husband's family (raised in a different church) and most of my friends' children (from a variety of protestant denominations) don't have godparents either. Interestingly, my only friend that mentioned the godparents at their birth announcements didn't baptize his children...
Most of these churches do seem to have in common the tradition that the child is carried into the church by a close family member (or friend), however, that person doesn't have to promise anything but is allowed to sit with the parents with the baby on their lap during (part of) the service. I had the honor of doing just that for my eldest niece's christening; and was carried into the church by one of my aunts myself.

So, while indeed in many Christian denominations (especially those closest to the Roman Catholic church such as the Anglican Community and the Lutheran church if I'm not mistaken) require godparents, that isn't the case for all churches practicing infant baptism (those resulting from the Calvinist traditions do not).

It will be interesting to see whether Harry and Meghan will still choose to baptize their child and if so, in which church. Did they for example join the local Episcopalian church (which would be the most logical choice since they decided to settle in California)?

Last edited:
Too soon to think about names? LOL

We can figure only two instead of the 3 plus sometimes seen. Sky is the limit, we know they wont stick to Traditional family names.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom