King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of all the photos I'm looking at, Prince Nikolaos is very very sad, and Princess Irene...

Haakon and Mette-Marit are scheduled to go to Athens on Monday.

So it has been set for Monday.?

And, if the burial site is in such bad condition, they have 3 days and 2 daughters in law with tremendous wealth who could transform it quickly. There is a lot you can do with a lot of money in a short amount of time

So it has been set for Monday.?

And, if the burial site is in such bad condition, they have 3 days and 2 daughters in law with tremendous wealth who could transform it quickly. There is a lot you can do with a lot of money in a short amount of time
Not even money can perform magic in such a short time, but a quick clean up of the grounds and washing and chalking the crosses and tombs should be possible.
If anything I hope that they can make some sort of deal about the care of the burial site going forward.

Is the burial site state property? Even if it is it would be better for both the family and the state of the former were given the responsibility to care for the site.

Needless to say, someone in the family should be responsible for the upkeep of the burial site and visit regularly which it appears they haven’t been doing. I would say Sofia and Irene would be the natural choice

Not even money can perform magic in such a short time, but a quick clean up of the grounds and washing and chalking the crosses and tombs should be possible.
If anything I hope that they can make some sort of deal about the care of the burial site going forward.

Is the burial site state property? Even if it is it would be better for both the family and the state of the former were given the responsibility to care for the site.

I have read somewhere that it is state property now and Tatoi which, I understand, once had also been a big house and surrounding property for the Greek King and his family was taken by the state, but Exking Constantine was refunded with some millions. The money was less than they had expected, however it had been paid by the state.

As they have been insisting to be buried there (and by the way, they even could have restored Tatoi house if they wanted) I cannot imagine that the state would be against it if expenses werent paid out of tax money.

But, we don't know, maybe some Greek people on this forum have more information to share with us.

I think it is somewhat tragic that after almost 40 years Constantine still did not get over the fact that he was not king anymore.

I guess Crown Princess Mary can't attend the family funeral. She has to stay behind. An exception could have been made re head of state so she could have also attended. Oh well.

I think it is somewhat tragic that after almost 40 years Constantine still did not get over the fact that he was not king anymore.

On the contrary King Constantine accepted the result of the referendum and the republic. All he wanted afterwards was to return to Greece and make a life for himself on his family properties.

I guess Crown Princess Mary can't attend the family funeral. She has to stay behind. An exception could have been made re head of state so she could have also attended. Oh well.

Yes, she will be Rigsforstander, while the rest are attending the funeral.

Has the Royal House of Denmark confirmed yet?

Yes, that is confirmed.

Yes, she will be Rigsforstander, while the rest are attending the funeral.

Yes, that is confirmed.

The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway get to go per BB. They will represent the Norwegian Royal Family.

DK really needs to add at least one more person to that Rigforstander list...maybe a Count could be available. The way it is now, Mary always ends up having to stay home when it deals with family matters abroad. I am sure she will get her condolences somehow to her aunt and cousins-in-law.

On the contrary King Constantine accepted the result of the referendum and the republic. All he wanted afterwards was to return to Greece and make a life for himself on his family properties.

Probably it was so as you said. But still, part of his family made a big thing out of being royal.
Just for an example look at this

https://www.preussen.de/

An abolished monarchy but Georg Friedrich of Prussia who is "the heir" is still doing a very good job. He is preserving the castles, the history, he is well aware that he would never be heir of a throne, but is doing much to preserve his family's history as well as it was German history.

He has a family, 4 children, is living in a house somewhere in the north of Germany, has studied, is earning his own money, never did marry into rich families, raising his children, is not on Insta or whatsoever.

And does not regret of not being Kaiser. But, he is very engaged to preserve the history of his family and does everything to show it to the public.

That is a difference(at least to me)

I am aware that you and others will still not understand my point, but I still wanted to tell it.

Probably it was so as you said. But still, part of his family made a big thing out of being royal.

An abolished monarchy but Georg Friedrich of Prussia who is "the heir" is still doing a very good job. He is preserving the castles, the history, he is well aware that he would never be heir of a throne, but is doing much to preserve his family's history as well as it was German history.

He has a family, 4 children, is living in a house somewhere in the north of Germany, has studied, is earning his own money, never did marry into rich families, raising his children, is not on Insta or whatsoever.

And does not regret of not being Kaiser. But, he is very engaged to preserve the history of his family and does everything to show it to the public.

I am aware that you and others will still not understand my point, but I still wanted to tell it.

You cannot compare them when the Greek government has been so anti-Constantine & his family for decades. They were only recently (last 20 years) allowed back into the country to live.

These are two completely different cases and should not be compared, except to say that the German government has been much more friendly to the former houses than the Greek government has been to Constantine and his family (whether it's justified or not is an entirely different conversation).

The difference is that Georg Friedrich was born, bred and raised in Germany all his life. Pavlos was not even allowed to set foot in Greece not mentioning the confiscation and looting of properties by the Greek state.

That Pavlos married a wealthy woman, okay, but they are still together, have a large family and - by all accounts- seem very happily married. We can not condemn him that his wife is not poor.

You cannot compare them when the Greek government has been so anti-Constantine & his family for decades. They were only recently (last 20 years) allowed back into the country to live.

These are two completely different cases and should not be compared, except to say that the German government has been much more friendly to the former houses than the Greek government has been to Constantine and his family (whether it's justified or not is an entirely different conversation).

Well, in Italy the Savoys managed to protect the Savoy heritage and orders from Switzerland. Now the Orders do an astonishing work with its charitable communities in several countries in the world (Europe, Asia, North America). And the Italian government was far from benevolent with the Savoys and the current Head of the House, who was literally 9 years old when the Royal Family eloped during WW2.

This to mean that maybe Constantine could have done a bit more for Greece or its Royal House. Anyway I’m sure he had all the reasons to do what he did in his life!

Well, in Italy the Savoys managed to protect the Savoy heritage and orders from Switzerland. Now the Orders do an astonishing work with its charitable communities in several countries in the world (Europe, Asia, North America). And the Italian government was far from benevolent with the Savoys and the current Head of the House, who was literally 9 years old when the Royal Family eloped during WW2.

This to mean that maybe Constantine could have done a bit more for Greece or its Royal House. Anyway I’m sure he had all the reasons to do what he did in his life!

I don't know anything about the Savoys so I can't comment on it. Perhaps a bit more comparable than the Germans, but again, I don't know. What I do know is hard hard the Greek Government fought against the royals to keep them out.

Considering they seem to make comments whenever the Greeks try to do things in Greece, I'm not surprised that they haven't been able to establish much in the country.

I don't think this conversation should be happening in this thread, to begin with, so perhaps we can return to simply talking about the funeral?

Pigs will fly before the Greek state would ever allow the family to be involved in managing the burial site. The state wouldn’t even allow the family to buy it from them and have allowed the property to be in disarray.

The Greek state could have given him the property but refused to, and it wouldn’t matter if the family paid to renovate it themselves because the state don’t want them having anything that represents the former monarchy.

Last edited:
Who will be coming from the royal family of Denmark to the funeral? Will Queen Margrethe and the Crown Prince and Crown Princess go?

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia will attend King Constantine's funeral on Monday.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ng-silvia-og-kong-carl-gustaf-deltager-i-kong

No...Mary can't go...she has to stay home.

The Spanish Royal House has just confirmed that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will attend the funeral of King Constantine of Greece, brother of Queen Sofía, next Monday in Athens.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...zia-acuden-funeral-rey-constantino-de-grecia/

So how does this work in Spain with the Head of State thing? I see both the King and Queen are attending the funeral. Princess Leonor is too young to be HofS....is there someone else to step in? Or is Spain equipped to deal with this type of situation? I don't know how that works with the Spanish royal family.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway get to go per BB. They will represent the Norwegian Royal Family.

DK really needs to add at least one more person to that Rigforstander list...maybe a Count could be available. The way it is now, Mary always ends up having to stay home when it deals with family matters abroad. I am sure she will get her condolences somehow to her aunt and cousins-in-law.
Prince Christian turns 18 in a few months. Will he not be eligible to stand in then?

Well, they have: Joachim.

But he is not listed as attending the funeral.

And in ten months Christian can act as Rigsforstander.

So how does this work in Spain with the Head of State thing? I see both the King and Queen are attending the funeral. Princess Leonor is too young to be HofS....is there someone else to step in? Or is Spain equipped to deal with this type of situation? I don't know how that works with the Spanish royal family.

In most monarchies there is no regency when the King is abroad. If the government needs the Head of State to sign something urgent, he does so directly at the Spanish embassy in the country where he is.

The difference is that Georg Friedrich was born, bred and raised in Germany all his life. Pavlos was not even allowed to set foot in Greece not mentioning the confiscation and looting of properties by the Greek state.

That Pavlos married a wealthy woman, okay, but they are still together, have a large family and - by all accounts- seem very happily married. We can not condemn him that his wife is not poor.

Did I compare? No, I just stated that they are other examples. I have learned by all comments here that the Greek exroyals history is much more complicated. I don't mind Pavlos being married to a rich woman, they seem to be happy, but being rich is certainly helpful.

And it is not so easy with the Prussian/Hohenzollern family as it might appear. There have been court proceedings such as

https://thewire.in/history/the-legal-drama-of-germanys-ex-royals-the-hohenzollern-family

So it is not so easy and smooth as it appears. But there isn't much coverage in the press about this, I have seen several documentaries about him and how he is preserving the heritage on TV and I had a positive feeling.

I have read somewhere that it is state property now and Tatoi which, I understand, once had also been a big house and surrounding property for the Greek King and his family was taken by the state, but Exking Constantine was refunded with some millions. The money was less than they had expected, however it had been paid by the state.

As they have been insisting to be buried there (and by the way, they even could have restored Tatoi house if they wanted) I cannot imagine that the state would be against it if expenses werent paid out of tax money.

But, we don't know, maybe some Greek people on this forum have more information to share with us.

The Greek state did not do this willingly, the compensation was a result of a hard and long fought legal battle with Human rights court making the decision for compensation. Constantine simply wanted his property back, that was all, since they wouldn’t give it back to him, they had to give compensation and they did so sparingly and rudely. The money was placed in the Queen Ana Maria foundation to help struggling Greeks.

H*** would have to freeze over for the Greek state to finally hand over the property after all the obstinate and grumbling behavior they have shown to the late King Constantine and his family. No, they cannot restore Tatoi if they wanted because the state won’t even allow that, never mind giving the property back, the state has allowed it to be in disarray for so long.

The late King Constantine accepted long ago that he would never reign again so I don’t get your issue? He was a King and will die as one regardless of how vindictive and nasty the government has been to him.

To make it clear:

The DRF has confirmed to DR1 that QMII, Benedikte and Crown Prince frederik will attend the funeral.
Joachim and Marie are not mentioned.

That however is not listed on the DRF website yet - so I wonder if there is a chance that Joachim will attend?

Anyway, Mary is listed as Rigsforstander for two days, the 15th and 16th.
So I guess QMII and Benedikte will stay the night, for their sister. While Frederik will, so to speak, be there for his cousins.

To make it clear:

The DRF has confirmed to DR1 that QMII, Benedikte and Crown Prince frederik will attend the funeral.

That however is not listed on the DRF website yet - so I wonder if there is a chance that Joachim will attend?

So I guess QMII and Benedikte will stay the night, for their sister. While Frederik will, so to speak, be there for his cousins.

It has been confirmed on the website too: https://www.kongehuset.dk/kalender/...kong-konstantin-ii-af-graekenlands-begravelse

To make it clear:

I wonder if any of the Berleburgs are going as well.

Back
Top Bottom