King Baudouin I and Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón: 15 December 1960

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The highlight also was on Anthony Amstrong Jones . IT was first official abroad Royal Event since his wedding with Princess Margaret. Paris Match of that time showed pictures of him entering the Cathedral with one Princess and leaving with another one.

After the Duchess of Kent's, this is my favorite gown from the 60's. Simple and regal, perfectly suited to the bride. Lovely stuff-thanks for the postings.:flowers:

Almost all the media on this thread is not showing, and I have a lot of pictures, video and information I'm going to be posting here. I hope you all enjoy it!

How Baudouin & Fabiola Met

Much has been made of the way Fabiola and Baudouin were introduced. Many say it was an arranged marriage through the church, but that is not how it went down. What happened was this: A young King Baudouin had a spiritual mentor (some RC's may think of this like a Spiritual Director who helps you in your spiritual live and journey).

Cardinal Leo Joseph Suenens
B207_zps88304446.jpg

He knew Baudouin for many years and some who actually knew them both and knew much more about Baudouin say that Suenens was a replacement father figure since Baudouin was put in a very awkward position being a young King with a deposed father living in the same house. How painful must that have been? Anyway, they would talk alot and walk on the grounds of the palace in Laeken. He could see how desperately lonely and particularly isolated the poor boy was, so he asked an Irish nun named Veronica O'Brien to come to Belgium to meet with Baudouin. Here's the thing - she met with him about MANY spiritual things across the board.

She met with him at least five hours, but I have heard it was over more than one day. She then wrote him a letter in English that said, "Dear King... May I offer you, on this beautiful Feast of the Annunciation, these precious little books which we spoke about? (The Secret of Mary and Treatise on True Devotion, by Saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort.) They are coming to you completely loaded with grace, for since the feast of Saint Joseph, I have faithfully prayed for you every day... Mary is much more interested in your future than you yourself could ever be."

Now that is NOT about marriage, is it? That was not her main goal in going there. That's what bugs me about the rumors. Anyway, he did express to her his frustration at not being married. He also wanted a wife that held his VERY strong Roman Catholic views and deep religious convictions. So, the nun, Veronica O'Brien, went back to Ireland and thought and prayed about it. She then offered to help him MEET a nice Roman Catholic girl. Baudouin said he wanted a Spanish girl because the country was more devout than in northern Europe. So, she went there and through her Catholic connections, she came across the name of Fabiola. She met Fabiola and went to her apartment (by then Fab had moved out because she was - believe it or not - sorta modern). When in the apartment she supposedly saw a picture on the wall that she had dreamed about and felt like Fabiola was the "one."

She told Fabiola she was on a mission to find a nice girl to introduce to the young King of Belgium. Fabiola flipped out and thought it was a cruel joke. She would have nothing of it until the Nuncio (Papal ambassador) in Madrid talked to her and said it was no joke. She reluctantly agreed to meet Baudouin. Their people must have really loved them because they kept quiet about everything like it was a war secret or something. People act like the church arranged the marriage, but as you can see, the church arranged the introduction. From there, the information is sketchy, except to say that they met at least a few times...some of them at Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral (famous for Marian apparitions), the popular Roman Catholic pilgrimage destination in Lourdes, France. Baudouin (and Fabiola) didn't do anything quickly or on a whim. They were very sober and intentional about taking on the institution of marriage.

So they went there at least two times, and Baudouin went there on his own also seeking direction through his faith. He slept in the grotto (cave) there that is so popular you have to make reservations before being allowed to stay there over night. There is a bit of information that states the two were driving back from Lourdes when Fabiola said let's pray the rosary. After doing so (maybe she for strength, I don't know), she said to Baudouin that she would give up her life in Spain, family, work and not look back and marry him. It seems as though he asked her more than once, because she said, supposedly (however sure we can be) "this time it is yes."

All of this took place very quickly. I think he met the nun, Veronica O'Brien, in the spring. He was going to announce his engagement in July, but things exploded in the Belgium Congo so he waited until September and they were married December 15th of that year, 1960.

Fabiola had turned down previous requests for marriage, supposedly. Certainly Baudouin had the pick of Europe as a reigning King, and he wasn't bad lookin' either - or obnoxious - or drunk, etc. I personally would NEVER buy the line that they were directed to marry. I think after they met they probably had so much in common and such similar views that it just clicked very quickly. My husband and I met August, 1996 and were engaged December 31st of that same year. That's pretty quick too.

The other reason I dislike the "arranged marriage" line is because I really don't see any difference between a friend setting you up on a blind date or royals meeting young eligible women from other royal houses. This was the same, except the introduction was made through the church. This makes so much sense to me because of Baudouin's deep faith and religious convictions.

Anyway, that's what I know of it. It hasn't helped that whenever they were asked about meeting, the two of them would say it would be a story to tell their children, but they never had any, so now this mythology has sprung up around the issue. Hope that helps. :flowers:

Here is Italian news agency Giornale Luce video of the engagement announcement. For some reason (maybe because it was the last Roman Catholic monarchy) the Italians really covered a lot of the story.

Una regina per un re. - YouTube

After the Duchess of Kent's, this is my favorite gown from the 60's. Simple and regal, perfectly suited to the bride. Lovely stuff-thanks for the postings.:flowers:

It's definitely my favorite winter Royal wedding gown, and on my Top Five Royal Bridal gowns ever-along with Grace of Monaco, Stephanie of Luxembourg, Maxima of the Netherlands, and Charlene of Monaco!:p

A discussion on photo clarity

At first when I was saving a lot of pictures, I had a rudimentary auto color adjustment that I was using on the photos and it definitely made them better. However, then I fine tuned a photo and it turned out so much better I was amazed. So, then I started going through all the images I've been saving - which, let me tell you is a lot. I'll use the following as an example:

Most everyone has seen this picture:
Fab-Bau1_zps5967a25e.jpg

It's a relatively nice image. Then I manually adjusted all the various color and exposure features of saturation, tint, color temperature, shadow, highlights and the histogram. This is an example of the difference.

Fab-Bau1_zps3928482d.jpg

Likewise take a look at one of the throne room pictures of the civil portion of the wedding. Also of note, someone used a very soft fuzzy filter on this picture.

26_zps1de7a4ca.jpg

Here is a much closer representation of the true color of the throne room.
24_zps641658fe.jpg

Maybe they were going for a highly stylized look, I don't know. But, I do know that pretty much all the pictures you find on-line need color and/or exposure adjusting - very true for the black and white ones as well.

Here's another example of how shadow and highlight made a huge difference.

What you find on the internet:
Fab-Bau14originalcolor_zpsb1b41bd0.jpg

Much closer to what it probably started out looking like:
Fab-Bau14_zps8830934d.jpg

This is my favorite video of the wedding, and it just happens to be the absolute worst video quality. But, there you have it. I've tried to make it as dark as possible since it was virtually white in some spots.

Queen Fabiola & King Baudouin Wedding Vows - YouTube

Here's why I like it:

• Interesting points in this video are just how much Baudouin directs his bride in everything
  • At 5:25, the bridal couple appear to have a tiff right in front of the Cardinal
  • Wonderful flavor at 2:26 where Fabiola stuffs her handkerchief into the ermine trim at her skirt front! That's the type of jewel that you never get from just still pictures
  • You can hear Fabiola's pronounced Spanish accent during these vows
  • At the very end, a priest has to tell Baudouin twice to say "Amen" after Fabiola's gift of his ring
Enjoy everyone :flowers:

Hmmm....didn't really look like a "tiff" to me. They just seem to be whispering rather urgently about something.;)

Thanks for the link!:)

Maybe not.

This is how I imagined it going down...
He tries to grab her hand and she says no.
He talks some smack to her and at first she's silent.
Then, she after she thinks for a second, she snaps back with some fiery Spanish temper.
Then he puts the kingly smackdown on her at the end. :lol:

This is all in my imagination. ;) :D

Here is a wonderful nugget of video showing crowds queuing to see the cortege and also crowding into a hall to watch the television broadcast of the event.

This video is shows the charm of the time. Of note is a charming attempt by a young man on the stands to brace himself by hanging on to the leg of a young lady behind him and she is having none of it. That is at :45.

Enjoy...

http://www.sonuma.be/arch...clame-baudouin-et-fabiola

I think it is lovely, very dignified, not like wedding dresses now..

I agree with you, Denville. It is a beautiful gown for a winter wedding. I have to agree with one of the comments made that at the time, Fabiola was marrying a King and the use of ermine, which is usually associated with coronations, was quite fitting as when she married, she became a Queen Consort. Even her headpiece was worn like a crown instead of tiara style.

There were comment also that the attendants veils/headpieces were a bit over the top but we have to remember that Baudoin and Fabiola were very much Catholics and at the time that they married, Catholic women were very much still obliged to cover up their hair with veils, mantillas and hats.

The Queen wore the Queen's tiara never worn since Queen Astrid's death in 1935.

Not only catholics are wearing a Veil on their wedding day.

In Brussels Tourists are still bying lace Veils.

What is interesting are the pictures inside the Cathedral 50 years ago.

Queen Fabiola's wedding gown is the most majestic Royal bridal gown ever, imo.

It just took my breath away the first time I saw it.

Her late Majesty is #4 or 5 on my Best Royal Brides list.

It was a masterpiece from Balanciaga.

But the Queen ordered a dress from Balacianga for her State Visit in France. I don't understand but the dress was not finished and the Belgian Royal Couple came at the Opera of Paris 45 minutes too late and General de Gaulle, the then President was not that happy.

Unfortunataly , the Queen was pregant and did a miscariage.

Yes, that was Fabiola's first pregnancy.

DeGaulle might not have been happy about the Belgian Royals tardiness but he sent his personal physician to attend to Fabiola when she first began feeling unwell during the French State visit in May 1961 shortly before her miscarriage.

Poor Fabiola.

It was a gown fit for a queen and what a beautiful queen Fabiola was!

A little known fact, but it's Lilian, not Fabiola, who chose Balenciaga as the designer for the dress ...

I didn' know that thanks for sharing.

But at the Wedding Prncess Lilian and Donna Fabiola's mother had the SAME color of velvet dress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know that either .

Fabiola's biographer said that Balenciaga was a friend of Fabiola's mother, and that it was Fabiola's mother who selected him to design the all important gown.

He was from Spain and had known the Mora y Aragon for years.

This information was revealed in the Olivier Defrance's biography about the late princess. He discovered a thank you note from Fabiola to Lilian, praising the thoughtful gesture of her choice of a spanish designer.

Doña Fabiola's dress was amazing and perfect for a Queen. My only complaint: the gloves! They didn't fit or clashed with the dress's 3/4 sleeves, and bunched up. Either short or very long gloves would have been better since she insisted on gloves.

Back
Top Bottom