Grand Ducal Couple's Silver Wedding Celebrations: June 30-July 1, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
purple_platinum said:
now... Nieboer's photos are coming.. they're via PPE

Picture 2 are archduke Carl Ludwig and Archduchess Yolanda of Austria, parents-in-law of Princess Marie-Astrid,
Picture 5 Fürst Alexander and Fürstin Gabriela zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn with their daughter Alexandra, former Hereditary Princess zu Oettingen-Wallerstein

http://img128.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=20181_06070172_196lo.jpg
3 are Archduke Michael and Archduchess Christiana of Austria not Bernhard and Stephanie of Baden, they are much younger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dukes de Lugo go elegance, Elena this fantastic one, it enchants its dress and its hair to me :D :D !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pics! The most beautiful were Mathilde, Rosario and Claire IMO. I was really dissappointed not to see F&L, Mary with Fred and W-A and Maxima. Maybe we should wait for the official family photo to know if they were their or not. It was great to see Elena, who looked very glamourous (perfect hairdo), but now we can judge that the Princes of Asturias didn't come eventually:(:(:(

As for Princess Kalina... "Hard rock hallelujah"!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
I like all gowns (minus Kalina), especially Grand Duchess by Saab, CP Mathilde dress remind me Princess Grace dress from Rear Window. Finally beautiful hairstyle for Princess Rosario.

lula said:
It also I have thought it, because except the Belgians (and here it is not necessary to forget that they are a family and there is more confidence), all the most important prominent figures are absent, and they might be installed in the own palace. They are many guests and in some place place they would have to install them.:confused:
The “top royals” locked in for security reasons? I don´t think so. Why should they separate them? I guess the explanation is simple: they are not there.
Well my favourite royal couple attended – so it´s easy for me to accept this ;-)

johann said:
The “top royals” locked in for security reasons? I don´t think so. Why should they separate them? I guess the explanation is simple: they are not there.
Well my favourite royal couple attended – so it´s easy for me to accept this ;-)

If a couple was absent it is possible to say that it was not there ... but when several persons are absent, and they all had confirmed their presence ... it is that there is something, and there has to be a logical explanation ... I do not believe that the Kings of Sweden, the Queen of Holland, the inheritors of Holland, the Danish and Spanish inheritors, and the Norwegian inheritor .... disappear. They have put on all in agreement????????:confused:

Ofcourse they are there, the royal houses are not in the habbit of lying to the press, a spokesperson for Casareal said Felipe and LEtizia would be there for the dinner, the dutch web says WA, Maxima and Beatrix would be there, the danish web have even listed Frederik and Mary for beeing there today even if there is not engagements today. The Swedish couple is also listed for yesterday, none of them wanted to be there for the main event:confused: it does not make sense, ofcourse they are there.

Well, we cannot do a lot except for waiting. Let's just hope there'll be an official photo like this one posted on this post. I honestly don't think they'll differentiate their guests based on the security reason, if this is the case, then, the Belgian CP couple should be protected as well right?

purple_platinum said:
Well, we cannot do a lot except for waiting. Let's just hope there'll be an official photo like this one posted on this post. I honestly don't think they'll differentiate their guests based on the security reason, if this is the case, then, the Belgian CP couple should be protected as well right?

I agree we must wait for official photos.

purple_platinum said:

Does someone know the palaces of the ducal family? Did dinner be in the palace where they reside or in another place? Are guests in palaces or in hotels?
I imagine that they will have distributed the guests between different places. I say it because the Belgian inheritors, being a very direct family, are cousines, they could be installed in some palace by the family. It would explain that they should come with the family.
:confused:

Woww! the Infanta Elena Very very very beautiful and elegant, spectacular!!! :D

give me please the link of p.p.e.

give it picture of princess sibilla

I've been enjoying the pictures so much I hadn't had much chance to comment. It seemed the ladies really outdid themselves in the fashion department for this occasion (except for Kalina but maybe she was going for the :eek: :confused: look!) Infanta Elena, Mary, Anne-Marie, Silvia, the Grand Duchess herself, Mathilde: so many beautiful dresses worn so stylishly.
As for the "absences": maybe there were security concerns, maybe there were scheduling conflicts, maybe there were last-second emergencies that came up. Elena did a wonderful job representing Spain but the position I think should be being filled by Felipe and Letizia. Same with Princess Anne for Britain. I think William should be encouraged (if he's not already) to attend events abroad in preparation for his eventual succession. He's already 24 and I think his duties with school ,etc, are not so demanding that he could not be allwoed from time to time to participate in activities. Sure, it may just be "only" an anniversary party but it's good to build and maintain contacts among the various nations for the future monarchs and royals.

I also can't believe that all the 'Top Royals' entered into a conspiracy to lie about their schedule on their respective own websites! I'd agree they were there & that we have to wait for more (official) pics & hope it's not wishful thinking.
Thank you Marilla: I was scratching my head wondering which dress CP Mathilde's reminded me of and yes: It's almost a copy of the dress designed by Edith Head for Grace Kelly in Hitchcock's 'Rear Window', with the difference that Grace Kelly's dress was cocktail-length.
CP Mathilde's dress is my favorite of the 2nd night, along with Infanta Elena's.
Can't say I like the GD's Ellie Saab dress - not flattering for her at all! It's really a design meant for a taller woman, IMO.
I wonder if CP Mathilde is wearing costume jewelry (unlikely) or is it a completely new necklace?

Maybe it could be as someone said, that some of the royals were residing at Castle Berg during their stay in Luxembourg, and therefore didn't have to arrive the normal way as the others did (who stayed at another place)... Royals and other dignitaries usually stay at palaces or other residences when they're visiting another country, but I don't know how it works in Luxembourg really.

Does anyone know if that would be possible?

lula said:
If a couple was absent it is possible to say that it was not there ... but when several persons are absent, and they all had confirmed their presence ... it is that there is something, and there has to be a logical explanation ... I do not believe that the Kings of Sweden, the Queen of Holland, the inheritors of Holland, the Danish and Spanish inheritors, and the Norwegian inheritor .... disappear. They have put on all in agreement????????:confused:

It does make no sense: Locking Felipe and Letizia or Willem-Alexander, Maxima and Beatrix inside the castle and sending Elena and Jaime or Princess Margret and Mr. Pieter down the red carpet instead? Queen Fabiola or Princess Anne second class royals? This would be bad style. And why should there be security problems. It can’t be that difficult to protect a castle and on Friday evening and Saturday morning we saw all the guest entering the hall, so why should they have changed this proceedings yesterday evening? And did any of us see an official and final guest list?
So I guess we have to wait; there will be an explanation – sooner or later.

lula said:
Does someone know the palaces of the ducal family? Did dinner be in the palace where they reside or in another place? Are guests in palaces or in hotels?
I imagine that they will have distributed the guests between different places. I say it because the Belgian inheritors, being a very direct family, are cousines, they could be installed in some palace by the family. It would explain that they should come with the family.
:confused:
Well, as far as i can tell Luxembourg has 3 main castles, which are the Berg Castle (the principal residence of the Grand Ducal Family, where many of their official family pictures are taken from), Fishbach Castle (where GD Jean lives, i think), and the actual Grand Ducal Palace in Luxembourg City.
There is also a thread on TRF about the castles & palaces of Luxembourg here

The gala dinner itself is held at the Berg Castle, so the logic is that the Grand Ducal Family (perhaps with their immediate family relatives, like the belgian) doesn't need to move from one castle to another because Berg Castle is their home. ;)

a picture of Berg Castle today by PPE :

Last edited:
I am guess I am confused...when did Princess Anne, Princess Margariet, Queen Fabilola, and the Infanta Elena become second class royals? Three are daughters of queen/king and one is a Queen herself. They are members of their respective houses.

Yes, its a shame that William, Haakon and Fred/Mary didn't attend all the events...but they did show their support. Let's not forget for the three "popular" couples..they have been doing a lot of traveling lately. I am actually not surprised not to see Felipe and Letizia...I am not trying to start something...but other than a visit to the World Cup..have they traveled out of Spain at a formal event?

from DPA :D

Attachments

• combine.jpg
    combine.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 222
  • combine10.jpg
    combine10.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 204
lula said:
If the guests are installed in this palace, it does not seem to be very logical that they go out for a door to enter other one ... to it we refer. Probably there are more photos inside and it will be necessary to wait for them.

On the Belgians, I have repeated several times that they are a different case because they form a part of the direct family.
On the princess Anne, yes she is lower than the Swedish Kings, the Dutch queen, and the inheritors of average Europe.

Also the Princes of Liechtenstain are absent. ;)
I´m still not convinced of this theory. If you think it through to the end: why did the grand ducal family followed by the Belgian relatives walk down the carpet - just because they are the hosts? They are for sure placed at Castle Berg.
But again it’s pure speculation and I understand your disappointment;).

Zonk1189 said:
I am guess I am confused...when did Princess Anne, Princess Margariet, Queen Fabilola, and the Infanta Elena become second class royals? Three are daughters of queen/king and one is a Queen herself. They are members of their respective houses.

Yes, its a shame that William, Haakon and Fred/Mary didn't attend all the events...but they did show their support. Let's not forget for the three "popular" couples..they have been doing a lot of traveling lately. I am actually not surprised not to see Felipe and Letizia...I am not trying to start something...but other than a visit to the World Cup..have they traveled out of Spain at a formal event?

They are of the second class in comparison with the guests who are absent, with Kings and inheritors of reigning Monarchies, are not of the second class if you compare them with the not reigning monarchies.

The Princes of Asturias were in visit deprived in Jordan in a party previous to the wedding of the Prince Hashem, a few months ago. They have been recently in Palermo to inaugurate the Institute Cervantes, this month they travel to China and Israel. It without the times tell that the Princes has crossed the Atlantic Ocean for the changes of government in Latin-American countries (stillthere will be several trips like that this year). If besides you bear in mind that Spain is a country much bigger than Belgium or Holland (really Belgium and Holland you join they are smaller than only Andalucia), for example, and that the Princes travel from a extreme to other one from the country every week .... I assure you that they have travelled very much, for all their activities out of Madrid they must use helicopter or plane (This week they will travel to Murcia, Zaragoza, Cadiz and Valencia ... every trip approximately 1 hour in plane)

Last edited:
lula said:
They are of the second class in comparison with the guests who are absent, with Kings and inheritors of reigning Monarchies, are not of the second class if you compare them with the not reigning monarchies.
I understand your opinion, lula, but we don't know this for sure. I think they think of this event as more of a family event, after all it's a wedding anniversary, a joyful family celebration with gathering of their royal friends, so, as far as 1st class or 2nd class royals goes, i'm not sure about this. I don't know how would i feel if i'm told i've to walk down the red carpet just because i'm not a monarch or hereditary couple. That would certainly made a bad impression on how they differentiate their royal "friends". :) ;)

purple_platinum said:
I understand your opinion, lula, but we don't know this for sure. I think they think of this event as more of a family event, after all it's a wedding anniversary, a joyful family celebration with gathering of their royal friends, so, as far as 1st class or 2nd class royals goes, i'm not sure about this. I don't know how would i feel if i'm told i've to walk down the red carpet just because i'm not a monarch or hereditary couple. That would certainly made a bad impression on how they differentiate their royal "friends". :) ;)

Probably you can find a better explanation to what it has happened ... because evidently this is not normal. Probably only they have faded away...How someone has said previously the conspiracy of all the Royal European Houses to lie ... it does not seem to be logical:rolleyes:

It is very weird indeed, especially the number of supposed absenties. i ratehr think that they were staying in Castle Berg themselves. Not because they are 'higher' or anything, but just coincidence.
Anyway, let's hope for a grouppicture of this event...

On a lighter note: Princess Margriet looks so young for her age!!! And Margaretha of Liechtenstein, her daughters and their cousins Princess Alexandra and Archduchess Marie-Christine are so beautiful.

The Gala was held at a castle -- maybe it has a super secret centuries old entry that only royals with the super secret password can use for the single purpose of smashing the hopes of diligent royal watchers.

On a light note: Yeah I love that idea, lucys - This is 'Mission Impossible 4' achieved, with all the 'Top Royals' crawling into Castle Berg through secret tunnels in order to get away from our Royal Fan species!
Regarding strict protocol: We really only saw the Grand Ducal family, their close relatives (The Belgians fall under this category), minor Royalty (Princess Anne is - same rank as Infanta Elena) and members of non-ruling houses outside the Castle. No other CP's or reigning monarchs.
Since the Swedish King & Queen as well as the Danish CP took part in the daytime events before and were officially scheduled to stay on, it really would make little sense if they had suddenly left.

gotta say i loved what alex, mt, and margaretha and her kids had on. kalina looked like she stepped out of the rocky horror picture show. i must say that i was happy to see the lack of tiaras and orders b/c it shows just how down to earth this royal couple is. i think they wanted to keep it relaxed to add further emphasis to that point.

Elena looks wonderful!!!

I can't say enought about how great the Grand Ducal family all looked. :)

lula said:
Yes, it is very strange. I have thought that probably since they will have been the last ones to come their photos they have not put them still. Normally, I believe that the most important persons come the last ones, not to have to wait. Because of it the Kings and the Princes inheritors would be the last ones to come. It can be that the Belgians were coming first, after the ducal family because they are a very direct family.

I have to say that I am bothered by this concept that Elena and her husband, the ever hard-working Anne, and one of my favourite royals, the ever elegant and understated Princess Margriet and the steady and strong as a rock Pieter van Vollenhoven are considered less important or "second class" to the likes of their older siblings -- or in the case of Margriet and Pieter, to their nephew and niece-in-law.

Queen Juliana must be rolling in her grave knowing that some think her daughter is second class. And I'm sure that Queen Sofia and Queen Elizabeth II would not be too thrilled either that their eldest daughters are considered this.

While Kings and Queens and Crown Princes and Crown Princesses certainly have greater obligations than their siblings, that does not make those siblings "lesser" individuals. Those siblings have certainly shown to make numerous contributions to their respective countries in a capacity that is different than those of their parents or hereditary siblings and their spouses.

Besides, it's not as if at the last minute because Willem and Maxima, Charles and Camilla (they weren't even schedule to come), or Felipe and Letizia couldn't attend the festivities, that the likes of Margriet, Pieter, Elena, Jamie and Anne were dug out of the ditches, had some nice clothes slapped on them and were sent off on a plane to Luxembourg to represent their respective monarchies. These individuals have repeatedly over the years represented their monarchies individually at foreign occasions as well as together with the rest of their families.

(Glad to see that it was at least Princess Anne who attended these festivities. At least she's the daughter of the monarch. I would hate to see what level of "citizentry" would be doled out if say the classy Princess Alexandra Ogilvy attended to represent the British monarchy. She's a mere cousin of the Queen!)

Back
Top Bottom