General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 6: January 2021 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In his comments this morning, Joachim said the kids went back to school August 28. I'm guessing that they are attending the Rochambeau French International School -- it's one of the few private schools in the area that started classes that day. (Most of the private schools start after Labor Day.)

At School they won't say to Athena "you are not a Princess anymore"....
They will start a new and happy life.

:previous: I'm still completely baffled by that comment from Marie :lol:

Were they known as "Prince Henrik" and "Princess Athena" at school? Or does EIB Monceau just have a really toxic environment wherein parents actively gossip to the students about their classmates at home? Very weird.

It was what Princess Marie , her Mother , said in an interview !

Just had a chance to watch the clips of Joachim on his first day of work. As a Washingtonian and an American, I have to say I'm a little offended. I didn't hear a single positive word about the city or the country, just "Europe is Europe" and this isn't France. You'd think he might have expressed some enthusiasm for a new opportunity or appreciation about something.

If this is his attempt at diplomacy, the guy has a LOT to learn. Maybe the media outlets cut off his positive comments, but I doubt it. (Perhaps this is Denmark's revenge for the whole "buy Greenland" flap a few years ago.)

I hope the royal courts of Europe are not under the impression that the United States is interested in becoming the dumping ground for whiny, disgruntled former spares.

Wow...don't know what comments were watched because that's not the impression given at all. He said Paris was their second home base. But Eruope is Europe, which I took to mean that moving from one European country to another is different than moving to another continent! That Marie is like a fish in water given she's lived and worked in the US before. Also, that the children have started school and are doing great and have already made new friends. How in the realm of comprehension is that crapping on the US. He just said there have been some challenges in moving continents, which is understandable and they are still working some things out. In the clips he looked quite content imo and ready to begin his new job.

And I'm American and found zero to be offended by. But then again I don't think the US has any whiny people of royal relations living here.

So maybe there is some ingrained bias present in certain interpretations of Joachim's comments with some projection thrown in.

Wishing Joachim, Marie and the kids a wonderful stay in the US. I hope they know that not all us Americans will project towards them preexisting negative feelings based on certain spoon fed narratives.

Wow...don't know what comments were watched because that's not the impression given at all. He said Paris was their second home base. But Eruope is Europe, which I took to mean that moving from one European country to another is different than moving to another continent! That Marie is like a fish in water given she's lived and worked in the US before. Also, that the children have started school and are doing great and have already made new friends. How in the realm of comprehension is that crapping on the US. He just said there have been some challenges in moving continents, which is understandable and they are still working some things out. In the clips he looked quite content imo and ready to begin his new job.

And I'm American and found zero to be offended by. But then again I don't think the US has any whiny people of royal relations living here.

So maybe there is some ingrained bias present in certain interpretations of Joachim's comments with some projection thrown in.

Wishing Joachim, Marie and the kids a wonderful stay in the US. I hope they know that not all us Americans will project towards them preexisting negative feelings based on certain spoon fed narratives.

He said NOTHING positive about being here. Zero. Not looking forward to living here, not looking forward to his job. Just whining.

He seemed about as enthusiastic about being here as someone might be about going to the dentist.

I'm thoroughly unimpressed.

(And, you can take your "bias," "projection," and "preexisting negative feelings" elsewhere. Just because you don't pick up on something, doesn't give you the right to attack me.)

He said NOTHING positive about being here. Zero. Not looking forward to living here, not looking forward to his job. Just whining.

He seemed about as enthusiastic about being here as someone might be about going to the dentist.

I'm thoroughly unimpressed.

(And, you can take your "bias," "projection," and "preexisting negative feelings" elsewhere. Just because you don't pick up on something, doesn't give you the right to attack me.)

And my opinion is just as valid as yours so don't attack me because you may see things that are not there. Besides I didn't attack you...I was pointing out the perceived tone of the commenr. I am free to provide my interpretation. I don't need to take anything anywhere. Based even on your last sentence of your original post made it apparent that there could be some underlying bias coloring your opinion which is what I pointed out. So maybe your last sentence could have been taken elsewhere as it literally had zero to do with your apparent disdain for Joachim and seemed more like a cheap shot in an unrelated thread. Which, again, put your entire post prior to that comment in the context which your words/phrases I used.

And what was Joachim supposed to do? Cosplay the flag like like other royals do? Again, I found nothing insulting or whining bout his comments at all.

I hope his encounters here are positive and he doesnt have to deal with unimpressed Americans. Hope he knows that not all of us are like that.

Anyways, my opinion stands as to his comments.

Last edited:
And my opinion is just as valid as yours so don't attack me because you may see things that are not there. Besides I didn't attack you...I was pointing out the perceived tone of the commenr. I am free to provide my interpretation.

kalnel did not attack you or question the validity of your opinion, but simply, as you put it, "pointed out the perceived tone of [your] comment":

However, given that you did not intend the comment as an attack, you presumably would agree that "maybe there is some ingrained bias ... with some projection thrown in" applies to everyone's subjective opinions in general, your own included.

kalnel did not attack you or question the validity of your opinion, but simply, as you put it, "pointed out the perceived tone of [your] comment":

However, given that you did not intend the comment as an attack, you presumably would agree that "maybe there is some ingrained bias ... with some projection thrown in" applies to everyone's subjective opinions in general, your own included.

Everyone's comments, being opinion, can have some influence based on their perceptions and experiences. No one will deny that myself included. That is human nature after all.

I merely highlighted how certain sentence within the original post made more than clear how and why the poster had such an apparently visceral reaction to Joachim's comments, thus attributing underlying motives or negative connotations that I, in my view, were not present in the aforementioned answers Joachim gave.

I did not see any evidence to substantiate that Joachim hated America and Americans or that he did not want to be here. It was just not present in my view of his comments nor the interpretation of his demeanor in the video clips where said comments were made.

With that said, if the poster of the original comments wishes to address my opinion they can do so via PM as has been advised by moderators. No.need to derail this thread further. :flowers:

Everyone's comments, being opinion, can have some influence based on their perceptions and experiences. No one will deny that myself included. That is human nature after all.

I merely highlighted how certain sentence within the original post made more than clear how and why the poster had such an apparently visceral reaction to Joachim's comments, thus attributing underlying motives or negative connotations that I, in my view, were not present in the aforementioned answers Joachim gave.

I did not see any evidence to substantiate that Joachim hated America and Americans or that he did not want to be here. It was just not present in my view of his comments nor the interpretation of his demeanor in the video clips where said comments were made.

With that said, if the poster of the original comments wishes to address my opinion they can do so via PM as has been advised by moderators. No.need to derail this thread further. :flowers:

So you have once again attacked me and attributed motivations based on your misperceptions, not on anything I actually said. Moving on...

I did not say Joachim "hated" anything; I said that I thought his lack of enthusiasm and failure to make any positive comments were undiplomatic and, frankly. offensive.

His new function is in a diplomatic role, so his attitude is extremely important.

I also found it interesting that he mentioned the possible extension of his assignment here after three years. It would be too bad if his kids go through part of high school here and then have to switch for their final year of something.

I did not say Joachim "hated" anything; I said that I thought his lack of enthusiasm and failure to make any positive comments were undiplomatic and, frankly. offensive.

His new function is in a diplomatic role, so his attitude is extremely important.

You've also been offered other evidence that counters your negative perception.

You've also been offered other evidence that counters your negative perception.

I haven't seen any. I viewed the video you linked to, and while he laughs for a second at the end, I didn't hear any positive comments from Joachim.

His comments as quoted in multiple outlets were not particularly positive or enthusiastic about his move or his new position.

I haven't seen any. I viewed the video you linked to, and while he laughs for a second at the end, I didn't hear any positive comments from Joachim.

His comments as quoted in multiple outlets were not particularly positive or enthusiastic about his move or his new position.

I'm sorry, I thought smiling broadly, appearing happy and energetic and giving a host of enthusiastic remarks in translation would be enough to make a favorable impression.

Not to someone who is determined to imagine Joachim is bitter and hates being in the US, I guess.

Joachim is normally rather reserved and this is clearly him in "happy mode", and I equally can't see anything that he's dissing DC – or has made any unfavorable or undiplomatic remarks about being there.

Were you expecting cartwheels?

I didn't see anything "happy and energetic" in his appearance. He struck me as bored and whiny. And, he said NOTHING positive about his position or his new home.

That doesn't strike me as particularly diplomatic. Bad start.

It's enough. Everyone is free to share an opinion - regardless of whether it's a positive or a negative one. But it's unacceptable to be disrespectful towards each other and to pick at each other or a topic endlessly.

Let us please move on, any further arguments and continuation of the above will be deleted without notice.

Compared to the interview(s) he gave in Paris at the start of his job there (in the line of "I didn't want this job, I was forced to take it") he seems rather positive here.
But yes, Joachim definitely did not get those jobs because of his diplomatic skills or charming personality. He has been the least popular member of the Danish royal family for two decades now, and for a reason.

:previous: True, everything is a step up from that :lol: Still one of the most absurd reactions I've ever witnesses given that actual applicants were bypassed in favour of Joachim.

Prince Joachim will have a lot to learn, he is not in Europe anymore.

Compared to the interview(s) he gave in Paris at the start of his job there (in the line of "I didn't want this job, I was forced to take it") he seems rather positive here.
But yes, Joachim definitely did not get those jobs because of his diplomatic skills or charming personality. He has been the least popular member of the Danish royal family for two decades now, and for a reason.

That's a really good point about the job in Paris. Maybe he's just one of those people who isn't enthusiastic at the start of something.

In Anne Wolden-Raethinge's book, "Queen in Denmark," she quotes Queen Margrethe saying, "Joachim's nature makes him very good at being a younger brother, he simply can't bear a grudge."

I wonder if that's still true today.

Will they be present at King Carl Gustaf's Jubilee?

Great to see how happy Joachim is to start the role he was already talking about before it was even announced. Everything clearly fell in place for the family with this new posting.

"Yesterday on October 24, we celebrated the anniversary of the United Nations. As a founding member of the UN, Denmark continuously works towards finding collective answers to current crises.

To mark the day Her Royal Highness Princess Marie of Denmark joined the UN Foundation and the United Nations Association of the United States of America for a conversation about the global health challenges and priorities that the UN faces today in order to secure a prosperous world for all*#DenmarkinUSA"
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy0u4SNrla1/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Interesting.

IMO they are mainly paying for the location.

It's an area where higher ranking, but not the highest ranking, doctors, civil servants, engineers etc live.
It's according to DK standard a large house, especially with a full basement. An average DK for a family with two children is around 130-160 square meters - and not necessarily with a basement.
And the ground is hardly a park.

So I suspect this is a mix of an investment (for rent and future sale) and a place where they can move in if they for whatever reason leave USA within the next say three years.

If we say that J&M will stay in USA for the next five years, which IMO is most likely, their youngest children will be in the verge of leaving home. So J&M really don't need a house bigger than this.
There is plenty of room to entertain friends and have dinners, for an au pair, for a couple of guestrooms and rooms for some of their children and future grandchildren should they come visit and stay the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom