Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 3: Nov 2005 - Feb 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camilla has been given very significant jewels from The Queen's collection, compared to anything Diana was ever given. So, I don't think we have to worry about it.

The Duchess of Cornwall has done much to discourage any comparisons between herself and her more glamorous predecessor. I sincerely doubt that she wanted anyone to draw that comparison with something as discreet as a brooch. Many other princesses of Wales have worn this design of brooch, and it is known that there are two nearly identical ones in existence. It has been pointed out numerous times in comparing photos of Diana and Camilla that there are minute but potentially significant differences in the design, cut, and size of stones in their respective brooches.

A rather spectacular diamond and sapphire necklace worn by the Duchess of Cornwall to the Prince's Trust Gala, November 2006.
At this stage, provenance is unknown.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2892/trust1if1.jpg

• Pic courtesy of BeatrixFan, originally posted in the Duchess of Cornwall current events thread.

Warren said:
A rather spectacular diamond and sapphire necklace worn by the Duchess of Cornwall to the Prince's Trust Gala, November 2006.
At this stage, provenance is unknown.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2892/trust1if1.jpg

• Pic courtesy of BeatrixFan, originally posted in the Duchess of Cornwall current events thread.

My goodness! That is an impressive necklace. :) I hope we learn its story soon.

The design seems rather modern to me, so my guess is that it is a gift from the PoW.

I think that it's one of the gifts she recieved in Saudi Arabia but I can't be sure. If it was a gift from Charles we would have seen her wearing them before, so this has to be something she picked up last year or this year. That leaves Egypt, India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia etc. My bet is that it's a gift from the Saudi King who is well known for giving ladies jewels.

Wherever it came from, it's a very good reason to wear deep blue evening gowns.:)

Warren said:
Could ib be sapphires in Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's wedding gift from the King and Queen totally re-set? But it looks little Arabic designe.

Btw. I'm not quite sure but I think that I saw smth similar on Christie's site few months ago. But I can be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't it would be reset like that. The sapphires would have to be reshaped too. I think this must be a new piece, the question is - is it a gift from Charles or a gift from a foreign admirer?

I would hope not. Camilla's necklace is dazzling just because of the size of the stones, but it isn't particularly beautiful. The Queen Mother's saphire necklace IS beautiful, why would anyone mess with it or its history. If I were very cynical I might suggest that perhaps the recent tours were profitable for the Duchess's jewel box.

Well, you wouldn't be being cynical, it's well known that the Middle Eastern Royals are extremely generous. For example, the Sultan of Brunei is known to give tips in the form of small bags of rubies. I think that the King of Saudi Arabia has given Camilla these and instead of keeping them until she meets him again, she's giving them a good little outing.

Warren said:
To me it seems very middle-east in it's design... Perhaps a gift from one of the rulers who often presents jewels to visiting royal european ladies...

magnik said:
Could it be sapphires in Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's wedding gift from the King and Queen totally re-set?
The Queen Mum's appear to be Octagon and Emerald cut Sapphires, Camillas Oval. It would be unusual to try to cut stones to a new shape, IMO.

I have to say that wherever it came from, it's a pretty amazing piece and there seems to be a blue bracelet too. In the future, it could become a parure, what with the blue sapphires that the Queen sometimes wears. I'm not sure of it's name but the Queen wears two sapphire rings, a sapphire and diamond necklace, two sapphire bracelets and a pair of sapphire earrings. Well, the necklace of that parure is a little plain IMO and this necklace of Camilla's would be perfect to replace it. But that's just my dreams!

Why can not be this necklace from a Middle East country and a gift from Charles too: I mean, maybe he bought it on the foreighn trip to give it then to his wife as a love gift...

Yes, it could be and it looks like one from this part of the World.

It's a beautiful piece of jewelry and it suits Camilla.
I also think it's a gift from some abroad visit, though it can also be a gift from Prince Charles.
For some reason the necklace is terribly familiar to me. Maybe they reminded me of the the Queen's saphires.

I think the "new" necklace of unknown origin would make a lovely tiara for her if it were mounted properly.

I agree iowabelle. It would make a good tiara for Camilla but she'd then need a Sapphire and Diamond necklace to go with it.

iowabelle said:
I think the "new" necklace of unknown origin would make a lovely tiara for her if it were mounted properly.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the necklace. Sapphires would look great in Camilla's blonde hair. As for a sapphire necklace to match, I don't think it would be that difficult to find a stunning necklace to go along with it. :flowers:

It looks very much like the necklaces in the Persian/Iranian crown jewels...

:flowers:

As this thread is for the jewels some posts taking us into areas not relevant to the topic have been removed.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Yes I would love to raid her jewelry box as well. :)

Camilla looks really good in bigger jewelry. I think it has to do with her age. Or perhaps she is just one of those royal ladies who wears grand jewelry well.

I agree. she'll look great with a big jewelry. Perhaps the Russian style tiara and Iranian necklace will fit her well.

Gasp!

Either Camilla has been allowed to rummage through the vaults, Charles has been very generous, or she has a rich admirer.
In Philadelphia this weekend the Duchess of Cornwall has worn two "new" pieces of jewellery. There is currently no information available as to provenance.

Gigantic Necklace (ruby or amethyst?)

Diamond & Sapphire Drop Brooch
°

Last edited:
I think the neckalce is too gaudy and over the top. But the brooch is very nice.

Getty Images

They are rubies and her evening gown is dark red wine in colour. Could the necklace be a convertible piece? Surely an item of that size could be worn as a tiara? Its massive :ohmy:

Don't they both look great in the second photograph?!

That necklace is a whopper! I think I might prefer it as a tiara. I don't fancy those gigantic splayed neck ornaments, though they seem to be popular at the moment.

I like the heart-shaped brooch. Very attractive.

Thanks muchly for posting the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom