Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
French media are reporting the following statement has been released by French President Emmanuel Macron:

President Macron and his wife Brigitte express their sincere condolences to Queen Margrethe II, to her sons Frederik and Joachim, to her grandchildren and to the people of Denmark."

Emmanuel Macron rend hommage au prince Henrik de Danemark
Macron: Henrik de Danemark a promu «l'amitié entre la France et le Danemark»

Prince Henrik was the epitome of this sometimes disruptive Gallic flamboyance. He was a man of strong convictions, sometimes for the good, sometimes not, but at least he made a point to speak his mind, a refreshing figure in this often far too pc world. He was one of the last of his kind, from a bygone era now..
Au revoir Monseigneur.

I wouldnt say its necessarily a Buddhist thing. If Denmark is anything like Sweden most people get chremated nowadays with many choosing having their ashes scattered anonymously in Memorial Gardens at the cemetery. Although since I know there are big differences between the Churches of Denmark and of Sweden please correct me if I'm wrong.

Had PH been an ordinary Dane, no one would have lifted even half an eyebrow.

I'd say the vast majority here in DK are cremated. And I'll also say that the majority are buried in an unmarked grave.

It it quite common to have your ashes spread at sea.

Many are buried (usually an urn) in a forest, like PH will be. - Or more correctly PH's urn will be buried among trees in the private part of the park around Fredensborg.

A relative minority prefer to be buried in marked graves or family plots.

Then there are those who belong to other faiths like Jews, Buddhist, Muslims, Asa-followers and atheists of course who have their special plots in the state cemeteries, - which are for all.

What is unusual is that PH's burial wishes is singular among the DRF. Normally they are entombed, or buried in a coffin like Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.

--------------

At the press briefing today at 11.00 Lene Balleby was asked what the specific cause of PH's death was.

Lene Balleby referred to the information that had already been supplied in the official press announcements from the court and then she added: "He was (after all) an old man".

---------------

It will be the royal confessionarius Erik Norman Svendsen, who will head the funeral ceremony.

- Is he still the royal confessionarius?? I thought they had a new one.
If so, perhaps PH preferred Erik Norman Svendsen, who is a very likable man.

I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
When Spring comes back with rustling shade
And apple-blossoms fill the air—
When Spring brings back blue days and fair.
It may be he shall take my hand
And lead me into his dark land
And close my eyes and quench my breath—
It may be I shall pass him still.
On some scarred slope of battered hill,
When Spring comes round again this year
And the first meadow-flowers appear.
God knows ‘twere better to be deep
Pillowed in silk and scented down,
Where love throbs out in blissful sleep,
Pulse nigh to pulse, and breath to breath,
Where hushed awakenings are dear...
But I’ve a rendezvous with Death
At midnight in some flaming town,
When Spring trips north again this year,
And I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous.

Alan Seeger (1888-1916)

Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine et lux perpetua luceat eis
Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine et lux perpetua luceat eis
Requiescat in pace, Amen.:daneflag::franceflag2::easter:

Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted.

- to Queen Margrethe
Crown Prince Frederik,
Prince Joachim
Crown Princess Mary
Princess Marie
Prince Nikolai
Prince Felix
Prince Christian
Princess Isabella
Prince Henrik
Prince Vincent
Princess Josephine
Princess Athena
Mrs. Francoise Bardin, nee Countess de Laborde de Montpezat
Count Etienne
de Laborde de Montpezat
Count Jean Baptiste
de Laborde de Montpezat
Mr. Xavier Bardin
Mr. Antoine Bardin
Mr. Guillaume Bardin
Count Raphael
de Laborde de Montpezat
Count Bertrand
de Laborde de Montpezat
Count Arthur
de Laborde de Montpezat
Countess Adelaide
de Laborde de Montpezat
Countess Clemence-Isaure
de Laborde de Montpezat
Count Gregoire
de Laborde de Montpezat
Sister Catherine
de Laborde de Montpezat
Mrs. Cecile Beuste, nee Beauvillain
Mr. Benoit
Beauvillain
Mr. Pierre
Beauvillain
Mr. Thomas
Beauvillain
Mrs. Anne-Marie Diego, nee
Beauvillain

Last edited:

The Palace has shared a lovely, often touching, number of photos of Prince Henrik's live. The last photo was taken during his stay in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, in January, so it's the last photo of him - so good to see that he was still in good spirits back then and enjoyed his last holidays:

** kongehuset.dk gallery **

Last edited:
Statement from the President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin:

Your Majesty,

Please accept our deepest condolences over the death of your spouse, Prince Henrik.

I sincerely share your sorrow. I wish you and all members of the Danish Royal Family strength and courage at this difficult hour.

Yours faithfully,

Vladimir Putin

Королеве Дании Маргрете II • Президент Ð*оссии

Private condolences have been sent from Spain:
Alejandro Riego @alexandropress 5m5 minutes ago
Los Reyes y Don Juan Carlos y doña Sofía han enviado telegramas de pésame a la reina Margarita de Dinamarca por la muerte de su marido, el príncipe Enrique.

Last edited:
King Felipe and Queen Letizia as well as King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía of Spain have sent telegrams of condolence to Queen Margrethe.

This is the school winter holiday this week and that means many children spend time with their grandparents these days. (That includes our daughter BTW who has been spoiled rotten for the past three days).
That means a lot of especially grandparents with their grandchildren have made a trip to either Amalienborg or Fredensborg - and I think Marselisborg and Gråsten as well - to place flowers, last greetings and candles.
It is a little special gesture for especially many grandchildren I'm sure. It is after all 18 years since we last had a person of similar status and rank who died in the DRF.

There is a gallery from Fredensborg after the sun went up, shortly before 08.00, this morning.
Including the hearse that must have come to fetch PH's body and take it to the undertaker for preparation.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/se-alle-oejebliks-billederne-fra-fredensborg

There are also many sites where people write their condolences or simply share their thoughts. Billed Bladet has one such if any of you should be interested in writing something.
Til minde om prins Henrik – 1934 – 2018
It's pretty simple, press the white button and then press the next white button and write whatever you wish to write.

A book of condolence will I'm sure soon be set up at the Yellow Mansion near Amalienborg, which is the seat of the court administration.
Similar books of condolences are also to be found in the towns halls of the major cities and towns.

PH is getting a lot of praise right now. - Without omitting the controversies as well, including his dissatisfaction about him not being titled king.
As such many personal messages from ordinary Danes call him "king Henrik" - a little wry last honor.

A number of his close friends have also commented on PH's death and they typically pretty frank, while praising him. - I think PH would have appreciated that frankness.
Here is one from Kjeld Hillingsøe, whom I have quoted several times in these threads.
https://www.bt.dk/underholdning/prins-henrik-ven-en-gang-imellem-slog-det-gnister

"In private Prince Henrik was temperamental, but also cozy, generous and happy/cheerful.
He had an excellent temper, so sometimes we collided so sparks went flying. But the next moment he was fine again. he was a good friend when he came in this house.
He was never pretentious, but he certainly spoke his mind. And then the most characteristic about him was that he had a very well-developed sense of humor.
If there was anything that interested the Prince he occupied himself with it. If something could be started/set in motion, he started it/put it in motion.
He was a free bird, who took the challenges there were underway.
He would have been an excellent ambassador for France in this country, so we are fortunate that we had the benefit of hims as a kind of ambassador for France in this country.
There was no doubt that loved the Queen dearly, no matter what he said about the king-issue. The two things were completely separate. There was an official side where he complained, but privately there were no changes".

----------------

Indeed a colorful man is no more.

And I will miss him to a considerable extent.

Just as often as I've wanted to hit him on the head with a shovel, just as often has he delighted me with his goofy humor, his flamboyant attire, his quirky ideas and art designs. Few people in their late 70's manage to become a cult-figure for the young, many of whom were also very much to the left of the political spectrum. PH managed that because he managed to often act out of the royal box. - Something Frederik has also managed.
Just as often as I have felt he embarrassed especially QMII, but also his sons, just as often have I wanted to slap him on the back for being wonderfully politically incorrect.
He has given me many a chuckle, and many a times he has made my eyes roll way back in the head. - Both things can be equally delightful, as you know... ?
Whatever he was, he was rarely boring.

PH was a man like most of us, with good sides and flaws as well.
But first and foremost he was a devoted farfar. And that is what I liked most about him.

Last edited:
farfar is a father's father in Danish?

I have to think about the German lied Angst und Vertrauen (Fear and Reliance).

In dein Erbarmen hülle mein schwaches Herz
Und mach es gänzlich stille in Freud und Schmerz.
Laß ruhn zu deinen Füßen dein armes Kind;
Es will die Augen schließen und glauben blind.

(In your mercy shields my weak heart,
and makes it all silent in joy and pain;
Let rest at your feet, your poor child:
it wants to close the eyes, with a faith blind)

:sad:

Rest in Peace, Prince Henrik.

Such sad news! My sincere condolences to Queen Margarethe, Crown Prince Frederik, Prince Joachim and their families. I am glad that Prince Henrik got to spend his last hours surrounded by his loved ones.
May he rest in peace.

Had PH been an ordinary Dane, no one would have lifted even half an eyebrow.

I'd say the vast majority here in DK are cremated. And I'll also say that the majority are buried in an unmarked grave.

It it quite common to have your ashes spread at sea.

Many are buried (usually an urn) in a forest, like PH will be. - Or more correctly PH's urn will be buried among trees in the private part of the park around Fredensborg.

A relative minority prefer to be buried in marked graves or family plots.

Then there are those who belong to other faiths like Jews, Buddhist, Muslims, Asa-followers and atheists of course who have their special plots in the state cemeteries, - which are for all.

What is unusual is that PH's burial wishes is singular among the DRF. Normally they are entombed, or buried in a coffin like Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.

--------------

At the press briefing today at 11.00 Lene Balleby was asked what the specific cause of PH's death was.

Lene Balleby referred to the information that had already been supplied in the official press announcements from the court and then she added: "He was (after all) an old man".

---------------

It will be the royal confessionarius Erik Norman Svendsen, who will head the funeral ceremony.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe that both Judaism and Islam forbid cremation of the body. It used to be forbidden also by the Roman Catholic Church, but the Church has changed its doctrine on the matter in the past 50 years or so, and Catholics can now be cremated too. Many still choose to be buried though as cremation is still seen by many traditionalists as a "pagan custom".

Of course, from a sanitation point of view, cremation makes more sense than a traditional burial.

Last edited:
Fórgive me if I am wrong, but I believe that both Judaísm and Islam forbid cremation of the body. It used to be forbidden also by the Roman Catholic Church, but the Church has changed its doctrine on the matter in the past 50 years or so, and Catholics can now be cremated too. Many still choose to be buried though as cremation is still seen by many traditionalists as a "pagan custom".

Ah, I wasn't clear.
I meant buried as in any form of burial in a cemetery. In a coffin or urn or whatever.

Yes, Erik Normann Svendsen is still Royal Confessionarius until 1st April :)

There is a gallery from Fredensborg after the sun went up, shortly before 08.00, this morning.
Including the hearse that must have come to fetch PH's body and take it to the undertaker for preparation.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/se-alle-oejebliks-billederne-fra-fredensborg
I think the hearse just came with the casket. We have no traditions in Denmark for preparation of the dead.

:previous: I knew we could count on you, FasterB. :flowers:

This is very much your area.

The queen just exited Fredensborg castle and went down to look at some of the flowers and greet the crowd, and people stood there taking pictures

Im so disappointed in humanity/people, where is the respect here!!:bang: how can you possibly defend the act of taking out your phone and take pictures of a woman who just lost her husband!? It is so very disrespectful:sad:

Last edited:
The queen just exited Fredensborg castle and went down to look at some of the flowers and greet the crowd, and people stood there taking pictures

Im so disappointed in humanity/people, where is the respect here!!:bang: how can you possibly defend the act of taking out your phone and take pictures of a woman who just lost her husband!? It is so very disrespectful:sad:

A twitter user posted the pictures of people seeing Margrethe and I cannot see anyone with their phones out.
It was Margrethes choice to come out and thank the people for leaving flowers.

TV2 has spoken with PH's friend Kjeld Hillingsø.

Ven om prins Henriks død: - Han ville ikke dø på et hospital - TV 2

"Right after the Prince had come to Denmark, we actually had a discussion about how you would like to end your days. I heroically believed that I must die on the battlefield. The Prince said there was only one thing he wouldn't. He would never die in a hospital. And fortunately that was avoided.
It's endlessly sad. Unfortunately one has reached the age where the old friends begins to fall out. But we had hoped that Prince Henrik would a while longer".

Kjeld Hillingsø and PH, got to know each other through their wives who are friends since school.
"Prince Henrik and I were forced to become friends, because our wives have known each other since the dawn of times. So it was a friendship that was imposed from the beginning but which developed. The Prince was so generous and so positive and always thought: What will this friend in particular appreciate?
He knew how I felt about going hunting and fishing and things like that, so he always made sure I could get to do that. We didn't fish much together, but we often went hunting together.
It was wonderful days in the nature with him. There was only the problem that if you were hunting and began to approach the prey, then he suddenly shouted: No, no, here's a beef tongue!(a mushroom) Or: Here is a cauliflower fungus!
Then you interrupted the hunt and rushed over to have a look at the mushroom. So I learned a lot about mushrooms when we went hunting".

A twitter user posted the pictures of people seeing Margrethe and I cannot see anyone with their phones out.

I doubt we will see a "Diana scenario" where the RF will be criticized for not having a big public funeral to "allow the people to grieve " also.

It is a controversial topic, but I understand why, in Diana's case, a public funeral was called for given her iconic status and the deep feelings triggered by her passing . Henrik's case is completely different and most Danes probably agree to respect his last wishes of a private, low-key funeral.

Here is a TV2 clip, with QMII, her LiW and her (unarmed) adjutant, going out to look at the flowers and greet people.
I think it must have been a spontaneous thing, because I can't see any PET officers.
Of course there is a sentry posted right a few meters away, but they are not trained as protection officers, but as military guards.

Dronning Margrethe hilste på danskerne foran Fredensborg - TV 2

Last edited:
May the Prince rest in peace and my deepest condolences to HM the Queen and the royal family.

Oh wow...I was not expecting this so soon. Believe it or not I thought there would be a miracle and that he would pull through.

I cringe when I remember all the unkind remarks I made about him last summer when he was ranting about wanting to be King-Consort. Of course none of us knew he was ill, but it still makes me want to be more careful in the future about voicing criticism without knowing all the facts.:bang::sad:

RIP Prince Henrik. His suffering is over but poor Margrethe and Fred and Joachim and all his grandchildren, who seemed to adore him. And I am also glad that he came home to make his transition in the lovely fairy tale palace of Fredensborg instead of the hospital.

Also my condolences to all the Danish monarchists who post here at TRF.

I am sure Margrethe doesnt mind. She's a public person, not only a woman who lost her husband but a Queen of Denmark who lost her consort, the Danes feel with her and she has to share that grief in public. Having your picture taken in unpleasant situations is part of the job, she's been there before.
I am also sure they are all in peace of mind. Henrik lived life to the full, they were a love match, and he made it to old age surrounded by family.

They showed it on tv, and people in the back (I counted three) were raising their phones and taking pictures from bird perspective.

I just think it is beyond disrespectful. She only wanted to come down an look at all the flowers and notes that were left, and I don't think she needed a camera/phone "showed" in her face

Last edited:
Do you think that Countess Alexandra will be invited to the funeral?

Do you think that Countess Alexandra will be invited to the funeral?

I can't imagine she wouldn't be. She's the mother of two of his grandchildren and I'm fairly certain she and Henrik retained a good relationship after the divorce between her and Joachim.

There will also probably be his nephews and nieces (there are 14 of them as I know), Princess Benedikte of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, King Constantine & Queen Anne-Marie of Greece with their respective children.

PH is getting a lot of praise right now. - Without omitting the controversies as well, including his dissatisfaction about him not being titled king.
As such many personal messages from ordinary Danes call him "king Henrik" - a little wry last honor.
He has been praised up in the skyes (rost opp i skyene, as we says it in Norway) on Danish television today and in some of the papers.

Commentators, experts (with exception of some) and ordinary people says that they regret the way he's been treated etc, they also describe him as warm and generous (especially BILLED-BLADETs court reporter Trine Larsen, who has followed him closely over the years), but they also describe him as strict.

What do I think? That we have reasons to both criticize and praise him.

I also liked the comments from Lally Hoffmann (TV2's former court reporter) and the excellent Christian Eugen-Olsen (former master of ceremonies at the court).

The Danish television coverage:
TV 2 (a publicly owned subscription television channel and the largest in Denmark): They ceased all programming and started with special broadcasting at 05:15 (who still airs now at 17:00).
Watch the coverage here:
TV2 live

DR1 (the flagship television channel of the Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR): They ceased all programming and started with special broadcasting at 06:00 (who still airs now at 17:00).
Watch the coverage here:
DR live

In Norway:
TV2 has sent a reporter to Denmark who says that ''he has a BIG place in the Danish people's hearts).

The royal expert Kjell Arne Totland said that ''PH is the one who made QMII the amazing Queen she is for Denmark''.

TV2 News Channel have also described PH as the most folksy royal in the world (along with King Harald).

Thanks eya! :flowers:

Transelation:
The royal family has with great sorrow received the message that his Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark has passed away.

''Our thoughts go to Queen Margrethe and the closest family after Prince Henrik’s passing. Our condolences also go to the Danish people''.

His Majesty The King has decided that in connection with the death, the Flag on the Palace Balcony will be be flown at half-mast today and the day on the funeral.
Article from Royal Central with video of the palace:
Norway shows solidarity with Denmark following the death of Prince Henrik – Royal Central
Royal Central‘s Europe Correspondent Oskar Aanmoen passed the Norwegian Royal Palace just an hour ago. A significant crowd had stopped in front of the palace and watched the flag. Most of them had received the message of Prince Henrik’s death and thought it was a lovely thing for the Norwegian Royal Family to do to show their respect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom