Crown Princess Mary's Working Visit to New York: March 9-11, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In that way she is an inspiration, because very few people use their full potential during their entire lifetime.
If Mary, who fifteen years ago, worked in marketing and who is no superhuman, can now address and be heard at UN assemblies, what can you do?

I am a bit uncomfortable with what you say, mulher. would mary be there should she not have married the crown prince? would she really be heard at the UN had that not happened?
most likely not. this is not to say that mary's involvement with her chosen causes is not good, but let's face it... what's the proportion of 'normal' people who could achieve the same level of notoriety without the kind of 'push' mary had?
i'm more comfortable with getting inspiration who really achieved things because of their own merits and efforts, rather than because of marrying well. and i think, personally that's what young girls should be inspired by (women CEOs, researchers, scientists and the like).

I am a bit uncomfortable with what you say, mulher. would mary be there should she not have married the crown prince? would she really be heard at the UN had that not happened?
most likely not. this is not to say that mary's involvement with her chosen causes is not good, but let's face it... what's the proportion of 'normal' people who could achieve the same level of notoriety without the kind of 'push' mary had?
i'm more comfortable with getting inspiration who really achieved things because of their own merits and efforts, rather than because of marrying well. and i think, personally that's what young girls should be inspired by (women CEOs, researchers, scientists and the like).

I understand what you mean, Carlota.

I should perhaps have put it like this: Mary, the marketings executive, also had the potential to do what Mary, the Crown Princess, is doing. But I doubt she would have realised it herself or perhaps even dared realise it.
We all have an unused potential inside us as far as our abillities go, but the biggest enemy against us in going all the way is ourselves.
In that way she's an inspiration.

And I disagree with you in the last part of your post. Mary has worked hard to get where she is now as a Crown Princess in the mind of the Danes.
The respect and the popularity she has gained has not been achieved for free. That only happens in fairy tales.

Last edited:
Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #12, 2014.
Written by our man in New York, the Ulrik Ulriksen.

Mary dropped by Madeliene while she was in New York.
Towards the very end, Mary found time to say hello to the happy couple and have a look at now four weeks old Leonore. Mary confirmed the visit: "Yes, I had time for a brief visit". But that was expected because mary had said early on: "Together with the Danish delegation I have had a very tight scehdule, so there hasn't been time to visit Princess Madeleine yet. But I hope to see the little one soon.
However, all new mothers have their hands full in the first period with a baby, so Princess Madeleine probably has plenty to see to, and then one shouldn't disturb too much. But I have of course made sure a greeting was send to Princess Madeleine".

Even though our reporter and photographer took up position in front of the house where M&C live and saw the happy coupld air their baby and dog, he apparantly didn't see Mary. But he mentions that a motorcade with President Obama passed while Mary was visiting. - That must have kept him entertained in the bitter cold.

But back to Mary's work.
One of the last items on the agenda was a meeting with representatives of the US National Hemophilia Foundation. That took place at Bryant Park Hotel.
Here Mary had a char with some of the children who suffer from the condition. Including nine year old Christopher Ambrosia, who sported a big swelling on his hand, caused by a simple bump. He is not just getting a simple bruise like everybody else, but develops a big swelling. Mary asked to his swelling and the two of them had a good chat about sports, Christophers likes to swim.
A parent who looked on said to our reporter: "She's a very stylish and enchanting woman. You can be proud of your Crown Princess".

After the last meeting at UN, Mary rushed to the airport and took off two hours later.

- A flight between New York and Copenhagen takes some six hours IRRC, and arriving five hours before the gala at Christiansborg, she would hardly have had time to sit down at all. Especially as she would have needed a bath, say hello to her children, get dressed, get on her war paint and having her hair fixed.
Unless Mary belongs to those fortunate people who sleep soundly onboard an airplane.

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #12, 2014.

After the last meeting at UN, Mary rushed to the airport and took off two hours later.

- A flight between New York and Copenhagen takes some six hours IRRC, and arriving five hours before the gala at Christiansborg, she would hardly have had time to sit down at all. Especially as she would have needed a bath, say hello to her children, get dressed, get on her war paint and having her hair fixed.
Unless Mary belongs to those fortunate people who sleep soundly onboard an airplane.

thank you Muhler:flowers:
Tight schedule for Mary, not only in NY but also right before the gala. She also had to give a kiss to the hubby ;)

Hopefully she was able to fall asleep on the plane; I am one of those fortunate people who sleeps soundly on planes, trains, etc...I once fell asleep on the city bus and woke up in another part of town, way beyond my stop LOL :D

Thanks Muhler,

Lovely Mary visited princess Madeleine (Chris?) and little princess Leonore. Even though she she had a tight scehdule in New York. Have always seen Mary as a very social person with great interest in the people around her.

Last edited:
Lovely summaries. Thank you.

carlota and Muhler - an interesting exchange. Yes you are right Muhler, Mary has really hit her stride so to speak and using this stage of her life (slotted between having babies and becoming consort) to become far more accomplished and polished in her role.

It is true that most of us find it difficult to imagine whether we too could develop and achieve on a world stage if we were given the same opportunity to marry a crown prince/princess simply because we haven't married royalty. I believe many people could achieve such things if given the same coaching/preparation/guidance/mentoring of a royal household.

But Mary needs credit too. She hasn't taken the easy road and become a giggly clothes horse. She does her homework and picks challenging causes.

Aside from love, Frederik too must have seen Mary's inner strength and capabilities and realised this lady had what it took, both as a life partner and consort.

..straight from new york to the gala dinner.. i read she made a stopover in austria during the night..so not much sleep.. she is a cool woman! if it was me with that schedule and across the atlantic flight i fear i would have arrived crawling at the gala :D good frederik hold her hand all the way :D

Back
Top Bottom