CP Mary visits Vanuatu, Fiji and Australia. April 23-28, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polyesco

Imperial Majesty
City
san diego
Country
United States
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-k-h-kronprinsessen-besoeger-vanuatu-fiji-og-australien

H.K.H. The Crown Princess visits Vanuatu, Fiji and Australia

Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess, together with Minister for Development Cooperation and Global Climate Policy Dan Jørgensen, will visit the island states of Vanuatu and Fiji as well as Australia on the 23rd-28th. April 2023.
With the trip, the Crown Princess and the minister will focus on the consequences of climate change in the Pacific region. The visit to Vanuatu on 23-24 April thus takes place shortly after the island state has been hit by two cyclones and two earthquakes. The Crown Princess will, among other things, take part in field visits to crisis response areas and have the opportunity to meet actors who manage reconstruction projects in the wake of natural disasters.

The Pacific islands of Vanuatu and Fiji belong to the group of small developing island states that are increasingly experiencing the consequences of global climate change. As a candidate for the UN Security Council, Denmark emphasizes that the small states have a strong voice in the global climate negotiations and in matters of international peace and security.

The Pacific Islands also have a number of demographic and development challenges, including in relation to sexual and reproductive health and rights. This is a landmark case for Denmark and a focus area for the Crown Princess, who has been patron of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) since 2010.

The visit to Fiji on 25-27 April is partially implemented together with UNFPA Executive Director Natalie Kanem. Here, the Crown Princess will, among other things, focus on how destruction and evacuations in the wake of climate change lead to an increased risk of sexual and gender-based violence, and how the health system works to protect women and girls in vulnerable situations.

On 28 April, the Crown Princess and the Minister will visit Sydney in Australia, where Her Royal Highness will participate in an event with Danish business representatives who are involved in the green transition in Australia, as well as visit a number of Danish-led projects related to sustainable construction and transport.

I hope Mary will have time to meet with friends and family before flying back to DK.

This must be the first time Mary is promoting Danish businesses solo in Australia.

And DK in angling for votes for a post in the Security Council. And the islanders need a voice to speak for them. Interesting.
Well, regardless of their size five small island-nations still counts as five votes.
This is really the Australian and New Zealand sphere of interest - to some extent USA and even China and perhaps Indonesia as well.
As for DK setting up projects literally as far away as it is possible to go is unusual.
- Oh, I'm just think aloud.

It will hopefully make more sense when I have been doing some reading in the serious papers.

Crown Princess Mary's very important trip is set to begin in mere hours and the DRF has not seen it worthy enough to even post the programme doe this visit. �� It is actually already April 23rd in Vanuatu.

A suggestion for those that want to try to follow her trip is to look for the Fiji Ministry of Foreign Affairs social media and search Vanuatu news on YouTube. That may be the best, if not only, way to see any coverage of whatever events Mary is doing during the next 6 days.

Good luck

Plenty of excellent photo ops! I hope the Danish press is there.

Anyway, the island country of Vanuto sure seems to be in dire need of moving itself a few thousand kilometers away from its present location! Two cyclones and two earthquakes! That can take the wind out of any country!

There also appears to be some serious issues on Vanuto in regards to women's rights and abuse of women, as far as I can read between the lines.
Perhaps someone can enlighten us?

Plenty of excellent photo ops! I hope the Danish press is there.

Anyway, the island country of Vanuto sure seems to be in dire need of moving itself a few thousand kilometers away from its present location! Two cyclones and two earthquakes! That can take the wind out of any country!

There also appears to be some serious issues on Vanuto in regards to women's rights and abuse of women, as far as I can read between the lines.
Perhaps someone can enlighten us?

Per BB, they are traveling with her on this trip. Plus I believe the trip will be well covered by local media and the Fiji FA office and government. They have extensive social media.

Last edited:
:flowers:

It appears to be the venerable Ulrik Ulriksen who is covering the visit for BB.
Then we can expect long and flowery articles. UU is rarely at loss for words. ?

Glad local news agencies and others are posting photos and BB has posted a couple of videos of Day 1 because to date there's been zero from any DRF social media. CP Mary had three engagements on Day 1 and has courtesy meetings with President and PM on Day 2 in addition to quite a few other important engagements.

Let's hope at some point the DRF will post something about this important trip. I assume the locations she visits would appreciate the DRF coverage as it brings attention to their local issues, which would be the point of these visits, right?

Personally, I find the total silence from all the DRF social media re Mary's trip so far disrespectful, insulting, unprofessional and, frankly, demeaning to her hard work and rank...oh and let me add, deliberate when looked in a bigger picture.

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:

Both the President and the PM of Vanuto fell ill shortly before Mary were to meet them for the obligatory courtesy visit. (Mary represents QMII, when she is working in a foreign country and the Minister for Development the Danish government and are as such obliged to drop by their local counterparts to say hi. Most of you of course know that, but what is obvious to me may not be obvious to everybody else.)
So the Vanuto Foreign Minister took over and Mary was presented with a boar-tusk. A boar-tusk is the symbol of a chief, so Mary is now an honorary chief. This being the equivalent of an order visiting dignitaries get in other countries. - I like that, why should orders be based on the European pattern, so to speak.

Mary also visited a EU-led project aiming at enabling women to earn their own money, by producing various items for sale. In this case handbags.
Mary bought four handbags with the comment that her girls would appreciate them.

Once again the DRF coverage has been abysmal when it come to Mary's events. One post with a couple of photos from Day 1. Zero for Day 2. She's not already in Fiji. Yet, how quick their social media posted about Benedikte's events over the weeks and Marie's events just this morning (already posted on the website and the Instagram account).

Thank goodness for all the outside sources posting about Mary's activities in Vanuatu.

BTW: In photos of Mary leaving Vanuatu, interesting she was sent off with a military parade.

At least this link provided photos: https://beta.tt.se/bild/q=kronprinsesse mary vanuatu

BB has provided 5 short videos of Crown Princess Mary's various important/relevant events during her 2 whole days in Vanuatu.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/video/mary-besoeger-universitet-i-vanuatu/qsSNyZ6h/3s2GtFRC

https://www.billedbladet.dk/video/kronprinsesse-mary-besoeger-landsby-paa-vanuatu/qsSNyZ6h/rmbxgzek

(..)

Let's hope this does not get removed: - this is the link to the live stream of the official Fiji Gov't welcome for Crown Princess Mary and the UNFPA Executive Director.

Last edited:
Nice. ?

The comments are positive. But what surprise me most is how familiar they are with Mary. I must confess ignorance in regards to the connections between Fiji and Australia, but they appear close.

Nice. ?

The comments are positive. But what surprise me most is how familiar they are with Mary. I must confess ignorance in regards to the connections between Fiji and Australia, but they appear close.

Fiji Government and news social media has been highly promoting her visit since it was announced.

Vanuatu pulled out all the stops for her as well including a military send off at the airport. Thank goodness there was external coverage of her visit.

Nice. ?

Fiji is an island nation that is part of the South Pacific. Australia and New Zealand have had a close and long relationship with Fiji and other nations in the South Pacific, assisting in many areas. We give quite a bit of aid to many of the South Pacific nations, especially in terms of disaster assistance, as the South Pacific is known for Category 5 cyclones and earthquakes. Australia have also assisted Fiji in police and governance over the last couple of decades. A lot of the South Pacific Islanders work in Australia too, mostly in agriculture.

CP Mary is a symbol of Australia's relationship as she is Australian/Australian-born-and-raised (yes, we still claim her!), hence why I am not surprised in the slightest the comments are all positive.

:previous: Thanks for the background info. :flowers:

:previous: Thanks for the background info. :flowers:

My pleasure Muhler :flowers:

It will be interesting to see how much coverage she will have here once CP Mary arrives for her first formal visit in 10+ years

Thanks, Iceflower.

Mary - and the Minister for Development, Dan Jørgensen (But Mary is more inspiring to look at...) - were welcomed in an elaborate Fijian welcoming ceremony. Where Mary were among other things presented with a whale-tooth, which symbolize prosperity. She was also presented with the national drink, Kava. The drink is based on the kava-plant that has a number of properties, like being a sedative but also intoxicating.

Last edited:
:flowers:

Some details about Mary's dress: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...n-mary-gik-til-hyggelig-middag-i-baeredygtigt
She was wearing a dress by H&M Conscious Exclusive 2016.

I post this here, because it's from H&M's sustainable collection.
I guess it means the materials are somehow recycled or the manufacturing is somehow done with as little pollution as possible.
Anyway, it's a part of her message and as such also her purpose of this visit.

Now, Fiji appears to be quite different from Vanuatu. Despite it's small population it's a country you hear about fairly often, considering that it from a European perspective is very far away.
They are certainly contributing well above average in regards to UN peacekeeping operations.
Politically it's also my impression that Fiji is one of the few countries in Oceania, that is actually listened to on the international stage.

But the political goodwill they have needs to be translated into something concrete, because Fiji too is very vulnerable to climate change.
So Mary is not only welcomed because of her pretty brown eyes. For Fiji this is also about getting international political allies. Both within EU and EU projects in Fiji, but also in regards to DK perhaps becoming a member of the UN Security Council. Because DK has a well known track record for actually addressing the issue of climate change. And while Denmarks influence may be pretty limited, a little influence is better than no influence.
It doesn't actually detract that there is an interest for Mary in Australia. A little awareness is better than no awareness. - So Mary gets the red carpet treatment.

Being a royal means that you sometimes have to improvise and think fast!
That happened to Mary as well. During one of the visits out and about, she suddenly found herself being expected to give a speech, which was neither scheduled nor planned. She did fine though and without going into details she managed to say something meaningful and relevant.
That would normally have been the job of the Danish Minister for Development, but Mary did fine and that is indeed why Danish politicians across the political divides have such a high confidence in her.

Eml

Mary is so genuine, sincere and down to earth it is no wonder everyone is so interested in hearing and meeting her, Denmark should be so proud of what she is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I feel I can safely say that the vast majority here are indeed proud of her.

I cannot help noticing that there is considerably more pomp and circumstance in connection with Mary's visit to Fiji than Vanuatu.
Not that I in any way wish to criticize the Vanuatians. They have had enough problems to contend with in recent years! And I'm sure there are plenty of other things they can spend their money on, than protocol and impressing foreign dignitaries.
The Vanuatian interactions were perhaps also more, how to put it, authentic than at Fiji. In the sense that at Vanuatu it was back to basics. Perhaps out of necessity?
But the comparison is interesting to observe.

I shall look very much forward to Mary arriving in Australia and I hope there will be a reasonable interest for her and her cause in Australia.

I would be a full blown hypocrite if I said I don't find it flattering on behalf of my country when one of our royals gets a good press abroad. Anywhere abroad.

The Minister of Development looks delighted as he should be. It's not that often ministers get good press, so they tend to stay near members of the DRF and soak up a bit of the starlight. ?
Buuut Dan, it wouldn't hurt if you walked up the stairs to your office. Or perhaps going for an extra walk with his (non-existent?) dog.
It's after all easier to lose ten kilos than thirty.

And yes, I'm a zealot, because our dog has been commandeered to take me for extra long walks. :ermm:

Last edited:
:previous: She is indeed someone to be proud of. She does so well.

The Sydney program of the trip has been updated.
"Friday, 28 April 2023
HRH The Crown Princess takes part in cycling tour inspired by Danish, sustainable infrastructure
The Crown Princess participates in a cycling tour on one of Sydney’s bicycle trails, which are inspired by the Copenhagen Bike Lane. Denmark supports Sydney’s strategy for a more bicycle-friendly and sustainable city, and the Danish architecture and urban planning firm Gehl Architects has, among other things, been involved in the city council’s development plan, “Sustainable Sydney 2030”.

HRH The Crown Princess participates in roundtable discussion with Danish business representatives on the green transition in Australia
Together with Minister for Development Cooperation and Global Climate Policy Dan Jørgensen, The Crown Princess takes part in a roundtable discussion with Danish companies working on the green transition in Australia.

The Crown Princess takes part in tour of the sustainable skyscraper Quay Quarter Tower
The Crown Princess and Minister for Development Cooperation and Global Climate Policy Dan Jørgensen participate in a tour of the sustainable skyscraper Quay Quarter Tower, which was designed by the Danish architecture firm 3XN."

From the DRF Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrfUrCvg-vj/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrfcgwFgo-Q/

Love the fan with HRH woven in to it, what a fun present for the Crown Princess

Back
Top Bottom