Counts Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Countess Athena, News Part 1: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Nikolai has expected being followed around in Australia that much, or if he’s rather surprised.. He and Benedikte were photographed at a university bar:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...enedikte-Thoustrup-university-bar-Sydney.html

If he was surprised iceflower, he seems to now be making the most of it.

There was an interview in yesterday’s Sydney newspaper, and reports in another paper that he is receiving many offers to attend the Melbourne Cup.

The nieces of Diana have accepted roles as judges of the Fashions in the Field on a couple of the race days.

Mary, Frederik and Amber attended many years ago, pre-marriage, though I think they were there more in a private capacity, than as official guests of the Racing Association.

Probably not going to Christian's party due to the distance, he says.

He still has relatives in HK? :sad: Oh dear...

'Upon the mention of Tasmania, I ask why and he says, "I have family there"' – this particular line made my heart smile.

And Mary's survival manual for the Australian wildlife ?

That was such a lovely interview! A shame he'll likely miss Christian's 18th as the two of them have always seemed tight but understandable given the distance when we're talking about one day.

Well Nikolai is making a bit of a splash.

He is indeed attending the Melbourne Cup Carnival, on Derby Day, as a guest of “Penfolds”.

Derby Day is very formal, you wear Black and White.

And tonight he will be the Guest of Honour at the Victorian Racing Club’s dinner at Mimi’s restaurant in Coogee, here in Sydney.

Only Victoria gets a public holiday for the Cup, but it is big across Australia.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...y/news-story/398d4a766b51134cd1aaa7cbc40f974b

Nikolai and his partner will be in The Birdcage … here’s an article about what that is … when he is not out and about on the course, which he won’t be just strolling around, it is a shoulder to shoulder crush, but he may also be involved in The Fashions on the Field given his modelling career.

Some race-goers just go for the Birdcage, year after year, and never see an actual horse in the flesh!

https://www.vrc.com.au/latest-news/world-famous-birdcage-revealed-for-2023/

Last edited:
Melbourne Cup Week is quite a fashion parade. Benedikte had better start picking out her outfit and hat!

Melbourne Cup Week is quite a fashion parade. Benedikte had better start picking out her outfit and hat!

It looks like this is all being professionally handled, the way the information is all coming out together, a sort of launch.

I can see Nikolai and his partner being dressed by a designer, top to toe, as part of their deal.

Though I think they will have some choice in what they are eventually seen in.

Must be exciting for them Curryong.

Last edited:
Yes, probably, but I think they are enjoying it all, a bit of the limelight, but also a chance to relax and enjoy with friends all that Sydney and surrounding areas have to offer as well. After all, ‘you’re only young once’ as they say, so they might as well experience as much as they can.

Yes, probably, but I think they are enjoying it all, a bit of the limelight, but also a chance to relax and enjoy with friends all that Sydney and surrounding areas have to offer as well. After all, ‘you’re only young once’ as they say, so they might as well experience as much as they can.

Agree Curryong … and the racing industry has been trying to attract a younger crowd for a while now, so they need these young ambassadors like Nikolai and Diana’s nieces.

Someone for the international tv audiences too, not just Australian faces/personalities.

Daily Mail link with photos of Nikolai at the launch at Mimi’s …

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ount-Nikolai-Melbourne-Cup-launch-Sydney.html

Last edited by a moderator:
From the 9Honey interview posted by polyesco:

Upon the mention of Tasmania, I ask why and he says, "Because I have family there, or relatives, it would be nice to come and visit".

The relatives he refers to are Crown Princess Mary's family.

"I haven't planned anything yet but I definitely hope to visit them, definitely," Count Nikolai says.

[...]

"I wouldn't say she influenced me, but once I told her she was very happy for me, definitely. Gave me all the good recommendations, introduced me to her friends, family here," he says.

"She wrote me a short itinerary of what to do and what to see, Palm Beach she recommended."

Crown Princess Mary also gave Nikolai a "survival manual with all the wildlife" and advised him to "tap [his] boots before wearing them, wear sunscreen everywhere".​

Interesting that relationships between Frederik's and Joachim's families are so tight-knit that Crown Princess Mary devoted so much time and effort to personally assisting Count Nikolai with his travel plans, and he is now on visiting terms with her family.

It makes sense that the count selected Australia after hearing from his father and partner about their fulfilling experiences there.

I enquire about the state of relationship with his grandmother now.

"We have a nice relationship, yeah, she wished me happy birthday, we have a fine relationship," he says.

"We saw her for her birthday as well, that was really nice to get together."

[...]

Of the [back surgery] procedure, Nikolai says: "You can see she is standing up tall, you can definitely see it on her physically but also sense it emotionally on her, yeah.​

I'm glad the Queen reached out for his birthday and that Count Nikolai is willing to speak to his grandmother again. It is nice that he can sympathize with the emotional challenges of her back surgery.

I'm (pleasantly surprised) at how much - relatively speaking - attention and his sweetheart is getting in Australia.
After all he isn't even a royal anymore and not even a part of royal roadshow.

Can't wait for some of M&F's children to go to Australia. Logic says they would get even more attention.

Agree Curryong … and the racing industry has been trying to attract a younger crowd for a while now, so they need these young ambassadors like Nikolai and Diana’s nieces.

Someone for the international tv audiences too, not just Australian faces/personalities.

Thanks Sun Lion. Always nice to hear the news from down under :flowers:

Nikolai posing with the Melbourne Cup
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/d7040aab6fa6a242c783ee433ebb847b
https://imageresizer.static9.net.au...et.au/fs/5cf08077-15e1-4848-b73a-a502110e7a98

He sure does seem to get involved in all sorts of events!
The focus won't hurt his modelling career - nor does the (seemingly positive) attention hurt DK and the DRF.

- We have a saying in DK that roughly translated goes like this: Many small creeks will in the end become a big river.

It illustrates very much the whole Danish outlook on the world, both in regards to commerce and branding. Every little opportunity, every little positive coverage = a small creek.

And considering the obvious warm welcome and the fact that he and Benedikte seems to very quickly have established acquaintances, I can't help wondering whether they may return later on - or perhaps stay for another semester in Australia. We shall see.

He sure does seem to get involved in all sorts of events!
The focus won't hurt his modelling career - nor does the (seemingly positive) attention hurt DK and the DRF.

- We have a saying in DK that roughly translated goes like this: Many small creeks will in the end become a big river.

It illustrates very much the whole Danish outlook on the world, both in regards to commerce and branding. Every little opportunity, every little positive coverage = a small creek.

And considering the obvious warm welcome and the fact that he and Benedikte seems to very quickly have established acquaintances, I can't help wondering whether they may return later on - or perhaps stay for another semester in Australia. We shall see.

It surprised me to hear Nikolai speak Muhler, I guess I expected an accent of some sort.

He came across at ease and confident too. (At the Tuesday night event.)

There are now quite a few photos and videos, from various people who attended, out on Instagram. (Sorry, can’t get any to post.)

The food looked amazing … I know that’s an overused description, but it did.

Crayfish, crab, caviar “bumps” on the hand with vodka, really great steaks, flambé dessert.

Seems everyone got a lapel pin of the Cup too.

I hope you’re able to find/see some of these accounts Muhler. Nikolai is sure having a great time down here.

And it looks like he did some modelling for Gucci at the polo fields at Centennial Park a few weeks ago too. (Saw it when looking at the Melbourne Cup posts.)

(And a correction - I’ve realised I called the residential building behind Nikolai “The Elan”, in a post upthread, when I should have said “The Horizon”.)

Last edited:
:flowers: That's very good to hear, Sun Lion.

A lot of classes are taught in English at Copenhagen Business School and combined with him being exposed to his mother and Joachim being pretty adept in English as well, it's perhaps no wonder his accent is difficult to pin down.

I'm not so well versed in English accents that I can say tell whether Alexandra has a distinct accent when speaking English or not.
She was brought up and lived in Hong Kong. Do those from Hong Kong have a particular accent?

I genuinely hope Nikolai will have a really great time time in Australia and return home to tell his cousins. That would make it an even greater lure for M&F's children to go solo to Australia.
And I really hope they will. Partly for them to experience and live in a different culture and country during their formative years (that was after all a must for royals for hundreds of years, if not thousands of years) but also to really get to know their mother's home country.
It must also delight Mary if Nikolai returns home and says that it was just such a great experience.

I guess Nikolai will visit some of Mary's relatives and perhaps a few of her friends, to say hi and perhaps bring something from Mary. - Salt licorice springs to mind. Being very much an acquired taste - according to foreigners here - perhaps Mary's got hooked. ;)

Is there a link of Nikolai speaking English somewhere? I'm interested to hear what he sounds like.

Is there a link of Nikolai speaking English somewhere? I'm interested to hear what he sounds like.

If you go to the “prinsnikolaidior” Instagram account Prinsara … I am on Instagram, but do not follow anyone, so this must be public … and go to the currently fifth post there and in that post, the second screen is video of Nikolai being interviewed.

Talking about his name, wanting to see Uluru, he is wearing the Dior outfit from the Mimi’s event, though it is headed “The Daily Telegraph”, this post.

I can’t post any links from Instagram, but hopefully you will be able to find it. He comes across as very likeable, confident and self-assured.

Last edited:
Another night, another restaurant, another event for Nikolai here in Sydney.

The launch of a clothing label at Kiln in Surry Hills. (A few days ago.)

Last edited:
Sounds like Nikolai is not only enjoying himself in Sydney but is possibly getting a boost to any modelling opportunities!

Sounds like Nikolai is not only enjoying himself in Sydney but is possibly getting a boost to any modelling opportunities!

His agent seems to have done a good job for him here in Sydney Curryong … possibly an Australian or Sydney firm while he is here.

Only a short time, but he has hit the ground running.

I expect a lot more to unfold, especially as summer approaches and the PR/social scene/ product launches and promotions side of Sydney life gets going.

And he is getting to experiences some real Aussie life as Sydney has been covered in smoke the last couple of days from a burn-off on Sunday.

It was reported many alarms went off across the city.

I had all the doors and windows shut, with draught stoppers around all entry points, and still woke up the last two nights from the smell of smoke getting inside.

You poor thing! Burn-offs are dreadful for people with respiratory problems as well. I expect Nikolai will be long gone before bushfire season proper arrives, so he’ll miss that experience. And good on him for grabbing opportunities in the modelling field while he is here.

You poor thing! Burn-offs are dreadful for people with respiratory problems as well. I expect Nikolai will be long gone before bushfire season proper arrives, so he’ll miss that experience. And good on him for grabbing opportunities in the modelling field while he is here.

Yes, I wonder if Mary warned him about that amongst the other things Curryong.

I keep expecting him to turn up on breakfast tv here.

Maybe when the Melbourne Cup is closer. That will probably be the highest profile gig he gets involved in here, nation-wide coverage with that.

Felix could and should sue Se & Hør for publishing these photos. - I'm confident they would lose.

There is nothing in these photos that overrides Felix - and whomever he is with - rights to privacy.

ADDED:

Very short and simplified: You can't take photos of anyone anywhere without their explicit permission. And especially publish them afterwards and publish them for commercial use.
That's being on the safe side.

Taking photos of anyone without permission on private property is a breach of §264 of the Penal Code.
It gets even worse if the person you photograph is a minor or is in a state where it is obvious that publishing such a photo is abusive. Like you sitting in a car being injured after an accident. Then you get whacked on the head with the heavy sections of §264.

You are actually allowed to photograph people in public places. And if the photo is considered harmless, like taking photos of random people enjoying the Indian Summer we have had recently on a street in Copenhagen. - But - you run a very real risk of being sued and you are likely to lose if you say walk up to someone on a street and photograph them, or you stalk someone and photograph them. You can't thrust a camera up someone's nose. And you can't take photos of specific people tanning themselves on the beach.
You are also allowed to photograph people who bring attention to themselves, say me banging a drum on a street corner wearing Mickey Mouse ears. Any lawsuit from me would no doubt be rejected right away - unless perhaps if I happened to be obviously mentally disturbed. (See what I wrote above in regards to §264.)
You are also allowed to photograph people at events. Say people waiting for QMII today in Allerød, because then it's the event that is covered and you happen to be a part of the event. Or enthusiastic fans at a soccer match.

You can also photograph someone if it serves a higher purpose. That could be taking pictures of a politician who is advocating prison sentences for people not wearing helmets while cycling - and that politician is seen cycling without a helmet. Here you are exposing hypocrisy.

As you know all laws can be broken if you can prove it serves a higher purpose.

- But with these photos of Felix. I can't imagine publishing them can in any way serve a higher purpose.
It's not an event that Felix is walking on a street with his dog and someone else.
He is obviously not aware that he is being photographed.
It's not newsworthy either. Because where is the news? Felix is walking on a street with someone - big deal.
So as I see it Felix has a solid case. He was walking on the street with someone he knows, minding his own business. And he can claim that he has the right to do that without ending up in a magazine.
And that's just Felix, how about the girl? She could be an au pair (possible workplace situation) or a minor.
And in contrast to his brother Felix does not have a history of seeking public attention, nor is a he a royal anymore.

But that's Se & Hør for you. They have been known to bend and also break the law before. Especially in quiet periods.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Felix changing his course of study at University
https://www.bt.dk/royale/grev-felix-derfor-skifter-jeg-uddannelse

"He has stopped on his first chosen line, International Shipping and Trade, to instead start on the Business Administration and Service Management line.

In doing so, he is literally following in his older brother's footsteps, as it is the very same education that Count Nikolai is studying.
The change happens for a specific reason.
"I changed careers because I wanted a career that would give me a wider choice of careers later on," says Count Felix through press advisor Helle von Wildenrath Løvgreen to B.T."

Nikolai in a new interview
https://elpais.com/eps/2023-10-19/n...urce=Twitter&ssm=TW_CM_EPS#Echobox=1697699623

"Nikolai de Monpezat, the model prince: “My title is the closest thing I have to a normal surname”
Nikolai is no longer Prince of Denmark, although he remains seventh in line to the throne. He combines his studies with his career as a model. “My parents have always supported me and I guess they are proud of me and what I do"

some of the pics
https://www.instagram.com/p/CylJ0qEBrp7/?img_index=1
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cylc0VYBHGQ/?img_index=2
https://www.instagram.com/p/CyldL1cBqho/?img_index=1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom