Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one of the entire family looks majorly photoshopped - especially the complexions. Airbrushing to the max. Everyone looks great, just not natural - especially those in the second row.

The rest look ok.

I do love the photo of Catherine and Charlotte but it does remind me a little bit of when my husband takes a photo of me - he is quite a bit taller than me, so it does seem to distort things rather - I'm probably completely wrong and just enjoying the new photos :)

I'd take Catherine's own pictures over Testino's any day. But then again, he's never been a favourite of mine. He always over-photoshops his pictures, whether they feature royals or not, and just don't see his appeal, hands down.

That said, aside from the heavy editing, I like the actual shots a lot – especially the group photo. I don't know why I didn't noticed on the day, but the Queen really looked riveting. I love her outfit. The children are so darling, they're both a good mixture of their mum and dad, I think. It's a shame there are no proper close-ups of Charlotte but there weren't any of George, so I didn't expect that. The one of William and George is beautiful and very natural. The one of Catherine and Charlotte was hit hardest by the editing but I understand why they chose that picture because the little munchkin looks straight into the camera which can be rare with babies :D The picture of all four together is beautiful as well, definitely one for the photo albums. Again, it's a shame that Testino messed them up with his photoshop.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I do think we're a fussy lot. The pictures have so many lovely aspects to them - in particular the close bond evident between the parents and their children, the delightfully bright eyed shot of Charlotte and the shots of gorgeous George. Yes there's some photoshopping in the group shot, but it's forgivable given the nature of this photo and its inevitable reproduction in years to come.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The kids are very cute, I love the b/w shot of George & Wills. George looks like Kate here. I am surprised about the bad light of the Charlotte & Kate shot.

These are some really lovely photos. I can't even pick a favorite because I like them all. While I'm not a huge fan of Testino, I thought he did a great job. Everyone looks so happy and relaxed.

I think these are way better than George's christening photos. When it comes to photoshop, I thought those were overly done and a little unnatural. The Testino photos actually look more natural to me.

Everyone looks so lovely and the pictures, and Charlotte is an absolutely gorgeous baby.

I love seeing the pictures. The children are adorable and I think Charlotte looks very much like George with darker hair.

That being said ... I don't know if it is Testino's "style" or what, but I don't much care for his photography. I actually think the photographer for George's christening did a better job. There is something about the lighting that I do not like. I felt the same way about W&K's engagement picture (except the one by the window). In that one it looked liked W's head had been photo-shopped onto a different picture as though MT was trying to combine two different pictures.

I hope there are more pictures coming with a picture of Charlotte "close up and upright".:D As I said I'm glad to se the pictures, I just don't think Testino is "all that".

I feel the same way. I think Testino is good for fashion shoots (I loved the Vanity Fair shoot he did with Diana in the '90s), but I don't think he's a good choice for family pictures. To me, his family photos (such as these from the christening or the engagement pictures) have a style that makes them look "stuck" somewhere between being candid and looking like they're meant for a fashion spread in a magazine. I find the result a little confusing, because there's something a bit jarring about the style to me. Also, I think the photoshopping is poorly done. The group shot looks a bit like one of those advertisements for a TV show or movie where they've blatantly just selected the "best" pictures of everybody, with little regard as to how the people look in relation to one another or their setting. Similarly, the picture of Kate and Charlotte looked a little odd to me - as if Charlotte's head or face isn't quite at the right angle. However, I do love the shot of George and William.

Despite the fact that I've just been very picky, I do very much enjoy seeing the pictures. It's so nice to finally have a good look at gorgeous Charlotte! They're a beautiful family.

Great photos and nice to seen formal and informal shots. The one of Catherine and Charlotte reminds me of the photo Testing did for Prince Harry's 18th (?) birthday. Charlotte looks just like the Queen to me!

I like the family photo, the Catherine and Charlotte shot is awful! The light is terrible and the amount of photoshopping is unnecessary to be honest.

Catherine took better pictures if I'm honest.

I think right now, for me Charlotte looks like George did...but she has a little less of William thru the eye sockets, nose and cheekbones. I look at her and don't quite see Kate either...so perhaps a blend of both.

LaRae

I guess its difficult to decide which way to go when you're a member of Team Cambridge. We got lovely family snaps from Mr Middleton and he was crucified by the press and this very forum. It was too 'folksy' for such historic pics. Won't do that again.

Then the couple hire Jason Bell a world famous portrait photographer and The Daily Mail complains he isn't a 'society' photographer. Scratch Mr Bell off the list.

Kate took lovely photographs but then the press goes on for days about the Cambridges 'breaking with tradition'

I guess the way W&K look at it, if they're going to be slammed no matter what at least go with Testino and let him take the flack. He was afterall Diana's favourite photographer.

Both children look like they take after their mother's side of the family. Little George has his maternal grandfather's face shape and it looks like many of his facial features also resemble Michael Middleton. The eyes come from that side of the family too, though the hair may be from his father. The baby looks very much like her mother.

That's so nice they make all that public With all the modern day, a little history is kind of quaint. What are we supposed to say? I suppose saying nothing suits the occasion in the news better. Perhaps it instils a reminder that some traditions are still firmly rooted in the past and present and morals and values really don't change that much.

Both children look like they take after their mother's side of the family. Little George has his maternal grandfather's face shape and it looks like many of his facial features also resemble Michael Middleton. The eyes come from that side of the family too, though the hair may be from his father. The baby looks very much like her mother.

I have no idea what most of those people look like. He's a child, that in just a few years will have more responsibility than most. Personally, I couldn't fathom being that much of a philanthropist. Then being all set up to receive millions of dollars in inheritance, how is one supposed to ever really do for themselves if they have to constantly do for others and be faced with dealing with all the family money? What a nightmare. They all have their riches and notoriety, but, I wouldn't sacrifice my anonymity and independence to walk in their shoes, not for a second. Quite a challenge they all face, being who they are doing what they do, admirable really, but they are suited for it. The children look very much like their father and that side of the family which I already mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my opinion .... another one:lol: I think the negative comments about Michael Middleton's photo had a lot to do with the press being put out that THEY were not invited to take the picture and HE was not a professional. Catherine's photographs were more readily accepted because she is the mother and it is known that she is interested in photography. And people, by that time, just wanted to see what Charlotte looked like, and they were delightful pictures. As to Jason Bell not being the "proper photographer", well what's new among the chattering classes? I was delighted to see these pictures they just were not exactly as I had imagined they would be. I love the picture at George's christening with HM, HRHs, but then Charlotte is not an heir so it's to be expected that she wouldn't have a shot like that. Maybe a private one :flowers:

I've always knew William and Catherine would make beautiful children together and these pictures proves just that. Mario's photography may not be for everyone, but I'm glad they chose him to take these pictures.

I do wish we had pictures of George and Charlotte with their godparents, since we got pictures of William and Harry with their godparents and Charles with his.

I guess its difficult to decide which way to go when you're a member of Team Cambridge. We got lovely family snaps from Mr Middleton and he was crucified by the press and this very forum. It was too 'folksy' for such historic pics. Won't do that again.

Then the couple hire Jason Bell a world famous portrait photographer and The Daily Mail complains he isn't a 'society' photographer. Scratch Mr Bell off the list.

Kate took lovely photographs but then the press goes on for days about the Cambridges 'breaking with tradition'

I guess the way W&K look at it, if they're going to be slammed no matter what at least go with Testino and let him take the flack. He was afterall Diana's favourite photographer.
:previous:I have to agree Rudolph. There unfortunately is criticism from the press whenever their photos of the children are shared.

This is my take on the photos: I got very eager the moment they announced it was Mario Testino: I was expecting gorgeous photos like the shootings of Diana or the engagement pics of W&K. When I saw the 4 of them released I thought uhm... meh...:ermm:

My favourite is, ironically the photo of William and George. Spontanoeus and very beautiful.I liked the general idea of father and son vs mom and daughter, but the focus should have been on Charlotte. George had already the spotlight at the christening and I think that photo is more suitable for his second birthday than his sis'd baptism...

The group photo was fine and it seemed quite relaxed. (Carole's hair looked not flattering there anyway),

The family pic would have been cut if Kate didn't look so horribly photoshopped and her head looked strange...

Photo of Kate and Charlotte: the light spoilt a little bit the setting... it is the photo I like less...

To be honest, Kate managed to do a much better work when she took the pictures of her children together, which is not easy... I was expecting the same from Testino... He (almost) makes me regret Jason Bell....:ermm: And I thought I would never say this!

What great pictures! I love the fact that we have some shots from the drawing room, and some from the garden. Charlotte is precious, and as someone pointed out, she resembles Catherine. The photo of William and George laughing doesn't need words. All we need to know is already spoken, if you will.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The one of William and George laughing is w/o ? my favorite one.

So much php to shopping it looks creepy to me. Especially kate in the four of them picture.

These photos are so "photoshopped" that it is quite sad really. Why can't they just leave photos as they are? They family are a pretty bunch of people, just leave their faces alone!

The one of George and William is adorable and George looks super cute. The one of Kate and Charlotte, however, is awful. The angle is terrible and the lighting is shocking. They must surely have had another one of Charlotte and Kate they could have used.

I just loved Kate's photos because you could actually see Prince George's and Princess Charlotte's faces so well. All the other photos of Charlotte we've seen so far are with her head tilted. I did notice in Testino's outdoor photo of the four that Charlotte's eyes look blue like William's as opposed to them looking brown in the photo with Kate holding her alone.

The thing that I noticed that was so off putting to me ... if you look carefully of the family portrait, Pippa's face has been so photo shopped that it has changed the shape of her face. There is no excuse for that. If a fashion photographer wants to do that to "pretty up" the nice model that is one thing but Pippa is an attractive young woman and there is nothing wrong with her face. I actually think it is borders on the unethical to change family photographs unless it has been requested by those who want to appear "forever young". I've said enough so I will say no more. :)

well if Cambridges did approve those photos then they are ok with such editing.

Last edited:

Beaton was amazing, but he also retouched a lot to the annoyance of the Queen Mother.
Dorothy Wilding's photos were also gorgeous. Except the ones of a young Philip and Elizabeth, who are suddenly super blond :confused:

National Portrait Gallery - Large Image - NPG x37999; Queen Elizabeth II; Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

There are times that I wish the Cambridge's took more natural pictures. Catherine did an amazing job on photographing George & Charlotte. I think the christening photos are great, but hopefully in the future we'll get more natural pictures of the family at home. Charles & Diana did a good job on having their family photographed at home, playing on the piano and with William and Harry playing with each other.

More laid back family pictures and less staged pictures are what people are looking for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom