Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hereditary Mapmaker said:
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to address this...
No, it's not. This thread is not to be used as a vehicle to pose speculative 'what ifs' regarding Diana.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

I think my opinion has changed a lot, i appreciate Camilla's work and now more than ever I see her as The Duchess of Cornwall.
I admire her very much, and I believe in love and that mistakes are human,
so i really cheer to see charles and camilla happy.

Since the wedding,we have been able to watch closely how charles and camilla are together.You can see from all the pictures and videos of the two of them, how much they love each other and how happy they make each other feel.Charles has become a lot more relaxed since the wedding,and we have camilla to thank for that.She fits her role PERFECTLY and isn't there to outstage her husband,but to just be there for him...the man she loves!:D

As skydragon said,i don't think Diana would have tolerated the affection William and Harry show Camilla at all.She would have become jealous like she was of the nannies that were paid to look after their boys.I don't mean to disrespect anybody when i say this,but times have changed,people come and people go,and charles and camilla are finally together.William and Harry are happy with the arrangements and as the public are warming to the couple too,it looks like our reign under charles and camilla will be a very strong period.Camilla makes Charles happy,and a happy king makes a good king!

i didn't really like camilla at first, and i thought her actions in the past wasnt' that good... although yes, charles & camilla were in love.

but i guess camilla is keeping up a good public image. so yeah, leep up the good work.

It seems like I will be greatly in the minority here but I have been disappointed with Camilla since the wedding. I supported the wedding and still support them but I feel that Camilla has not been pulling her weight. I believe she needs to go out there and do more. She has the opportunity to do so much more as a representative of women her age and I was really looking forward to her doing it and proving all her nay-sayers wrong but she hasn't. I don't expect her to become the next Anne (Princess Royal) and working so hard- not everyone can or wants to be like that. But I really would appreciate her doing more.

I do like that she's not uppity when she goes to those public events though- she will sample food offered to her and I am sure the people who spent so much time preparing the food are grateful to her! So she does well when she goes out but she needs to go out more often!

As to my opinion of Charles, I have always liked him and his eccentricity and I still do. His marriage has not changed my opinion of him either way. Though he does seem considerably less cranky than he had been becoming but whatever...

I think the problem with camilla is that she is threading very carefully with her duties and other engagements.Give her a chance and I am hopeful she will come through -

DuchessofCambrigde, with the announcement of the wedding Clarence House declared: "Her first duty will be to support the PoW." And this she obviously is doing. Beside that not all, in fact, very less engagements are public. There are many receptions, dinners and duties "behind the doors". You only find out about with own inquiry. If you are interested in this, you´ll be astonished how much she is working.

Last edited:
I never had a problem with Camilla despite all the "other woman" stuff. I have always liked Prince Charles.

Their wedding was magnificent and I loved seeing PC so HAPPY.

I have enjoyed seeing him come out of his shell with her by his side and she has impressed me with her down to earth charm.

I am really happy for both of them and think they will make an excellent King & Queen (consort ... whatever)... :)

It is quite surprised to see there are many people liking Prince Charles. It is really nice to see him to so happy, isn't? People do miss his smiles and his sweet way. Camilla is really a great woman to make Prince Charles so happy. I wish them good and hope that they can be King and Queen one day.

It seems that no matter which country we all come from, or type goverment rules our lands, for whatever reason it seems that we all love royalty. Regardless if Camilla is openly received by the UK and her commonwealth, she will be queen in my heart. (I personally feel as though I'm an honorary citizen of every country whose monarchy I just happen to like.)

If Will and Harry ever had any resentment, I don't think that they are displaying it now. They accept Camilla as their stepmother and the future Queen of England. What I can't understand is why can't everyone else? Let the past stay in the past and let's contribute to a better history.

DuchessofCambridge said:
It seems like I will be greatly in the minority here but I have been disappointed with Camilla since the wedding. I supported the wedding and still support them but I feel that Camilla has not been pulling her weight. I believe she needs to go out there and do more. She has the opportunity to do so much more as a representative of women her age and I was really looking forward to her doing it and proving all her nay-sayers wrong but she hasn't. I don't expect her to become the next Anne (Princess Royal) and working so hard- not everyone can or wants to be like that. But I really would appreciate her doing more.

Hornsen said:
DuchessofCambrigde, with the announcement of the wedding Clarence House declared: "Her first duty will be to support the PoW." And this she obviously is doing. Beside that not all, in fact, very less engagements are public. There are many receptions, dinners and duties "behind the doors". You only find out about with own inquiry. If you are interested in this, you´ll be astonished how much she is working.

While I was not in favor of the wedding, I have warmed up to her a bit, but I agree with Duchess of Cambridge, especially in light of the new rankings, she is not pulling her weight. Granted, she has not been a royal long, but nevertheless, HRH the Countess of Wessex, who has a small daughter, has done significantly more engagements than Camilla, which does not impress me much. Also, Hornsen, while it’s true that many engagements are less public, they are still part of the official count of Mr. O’Donovan. If she has performed the engagements, I would bet he both knows and has included them in the ranking of the hardest working royals, so ultimately, private or public, she still performs an incredibly low number of engagements for (whatever the private order of precedence may say) the second woman in the land and the future queen.

HRH Elizabeth, I am tolerating your opinion. But I´m not sure, if Sophie has done more engagements than Camilla. I will recherche.

HRH Elizabeth said:
HRH the Countess of Wessex, who has a small daughter, has done significantly more engagements than Camilla, which does not impress me much. Also, Hornsen, while it’s true that many engagements are less public, they are still part of the official count of Mr. O’Donovan. If she has performed the engagements, I would bet he both knows and has included them in the ranking of the hardest working royals, so ultimately, private or public, she still performs an incredibly low number of engagements for (whatever the private order of precedence may say) the second woman in the land and the future queen.

The Duchess of Cornwall had carried out 94 engagements over 55 days Sophie has carried out 55 engagements in total. Edward has only carried out 9 more, Duke of Kent only 60, Duke of Gloucester only 36 and his wife 45.
Not all meetings regarding charities etc would IMO be known to anyone other than security, staff and Camilla herself.

I am not a fan of either Charles and Camilla, but I think the recent attacks on her lack of work is nonsense. I am sure she does what she is asked to do. I don't think he want her out there alone, gaining extra attention and perhaps, she doesn't like doing solo engagements. All supposition. They love each other and demonstrated that, by doing what they wished all the years they were married to others. I still see them as, selfserving, but that's my opinion. Opinions on how Diana would be today are ridiculous, as she is dead and no one has any idea of what she would be like today. As far as Camilla being queen, that is up to those she would serve as queen. Obviously, some will like her, others will not. As an American, I do not feel I have the right to say how I would feel about her being queen.

Skydragon said:
The Duchess of Cornwall had carried out 94 engagements over 55 days Sophie has carried out 55 engagements in total. Edward has only carried out 9 more, Duke of Kent only 60, Duke of Gloucester only 36 and his wife 45.
Not all meetings regarding charities etc would IMO be known to anyone other than security, staff and Camilla herself.

You're right...I must have gotten mixed up because I was so certain I had just read such a statistic, but I guess I was wrong. I rescind my critique.

I do maintain, however, that I prefer that my future queen not be the former mistress of a married man, no matter how many engagements she gracefully carries out.

I will just be happy that my future Queen loves and is loved by her husband, the future King, that she has no wish to put herself forward all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny how people still hold on to the past whilst everyone in the royal family have moved on and put it wayy behind them.

Camilla is our future Queen whether anyone approves of her or not and i think people should start getting used to the idea of Camilla being our future Queen ;)

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall or (in Scotland) The Duchess of Rothesay tja.... what to say about this remarkable lady?

As I have to review her since April 2005, I must say I see a lady who has unbelievably grown into her royal role. She comes over as a quite accessible, goodnatured and happy lady, who stands firm in her shoes and fullfils her public appearance with clearly visible joie de vivre.

In a Spanish periodical I saw the line Camilla de Cornualles, una Duquesa para abrigar (Camilla of Cornwall, a Duchess to cherish).
I think that is exactly how I feel myself too. :)

The picture is from ANP and is uploaded via my own webspace:

z1.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lovely post Henri. Especially, "Camilla of Cornwall, a Duchess to cherish".

Skydragon said:
I will just be happy that my future Queen loves and is loved by her husband, the future King, that she has no wish to put herself forward all the time.

No argument there...but you have to give me that at least I am fair. My standards of behaviour may be too high but they are applied equally to all, including the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Diana, Princess of Wales and Joe Normal. I'm no more accepting of Diana's affairs than Camilla's or Charles', but disapprove of them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that camilla does what she is asked to do also, perhaps she does not want that big of a public role after all. We all know she loves Prince Charles and maybe she does not want that much attention drawn to herself. Has anyone also thought maybe Charles does not want a wife who outshines him? Maybe he prefers to do the joint engagements with her, so that way the focus is just not on Camilla, but on the both of them.

HRH Elizabeth said:
I do maintain, however, that I prefer that my future queen not be the former mistress of a married man, no matter how many engagements she gracefully carries out.

As nad25 stated,the past is in the past...camilla WILL be our future Queen-like it or not-and people need to live with this fact and leave something that happened over 9 years ago where it is.Camilla is a remarkable woman.

Evidently the past has not been forgotten at all nor will it be ever - I wish people would move on but alas human nature is that human nature - the way the vicious reporting is going on for both charles and camilla I must say it is like they are preparing william to take over tomorrow if you know what I mean.Give charles and camilla is not in the agenda of any newspapers or magazines - they just keep rehashing the past over and over again.I mean diana was a very pretty woman etc but to say that she is a saint???? which I read somewhere or the other is surely a bit much.What about mother theresa - I don't think she called the cameras in at the drop of a hat and she is practically ignored.Talk about unfairness.( Sorry for fuming but I keep hoping that there will be some favourable press about charles and camilla and end up being disappointed!!! )

I think its natural for people to sense some kind of uneasiness about a new couple when a marriage falters and one of the parties ends up with the person they were seeing while they were married to someone else.

But people's reactions to the new couple after they've been together for awhile will vary. Its understandable that for some, opinions may not have changed. But the focus here is on what people's opinions are based on what we've seen of Charles and Camiila since the marriage.

I think what I see is a couple who are doing their job.Camilla seems to have taken to her royal duties quite well - well maybe I should say that she hasn't embarassed herself or said or done the wrong thing so blatantly - she seems to have fitted in quite well as a member of the BRF.She seems to be comfy with what she likes or does or wears and that is quite endearing frankly - she is so normal if you know what I mean.I feel that I could sit down and have a good heart to heart chat with her if you know what I mean.:p

i think that charles looks a lot more relaxed now.

I don't remember off hand where I read it but I definitely remember that for sure!!!

zanychick3000 said:
I think that camilla does what she is asked to do also, perhaps she does not want that big of a public role after all. We all know she loves Prince Charles and maybe she does not want that much attention drawn to herself. Has anyone also thought maybe Charles does not want a wife who outshines him? Maybe he prefers to do the joint engagements with her, so that way the focus is just not on Camilla, but on the both of them.
Maybe we can look at this another way. OK, so she doesn't do lots and lots and lots of engagements by herself. But, she does do them with her husband. And, as many have noted, he is happier and more relaxed and enjoying life.

A happy Prince will in turn make for a happy King. Camilla is essential to her husband's wellbeing. And we are getting two obviously happy people to look at and photograph. As we all know, happiness is addictive, and it can, if unchecked, run rampant through the world.

(Why do I get the distinct impression that their are lots of people out there who would rather see two lacklustre solo outings, than one joyous occassion?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom