British Royal Family Current Events 11: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duke of Hamilton carries the Crown of Scotland.
His Grandfather did it for Queen Elisabeth II.

Thank you for that. Shows how determined they are to be an absolute nuisance.

I still can't understand why the police allowed them to have a demonstration so close to the St Giles'.

Knowing the area they were positioned I believe it was a tacticle move by the police. They were kettled in , but if trouble had erupted there was room to manoeuvre. There is not a great deal of space.
The irony of Patrick Harvey going on about democracy when he is in the Scottish cabinet yet his party only received 4% of the vote. Democracy when it suits.

I don't get it-they had a vote under I think Nicola Sturgeon as to whether or not to stay part of the UK. They voted to stay. I assumed that meant they wanted to keep the royal family as well. So why are they complaining now?

The vote was under Alex Salmond and was about independence, not the monarchy. The SNP is not a republican party and it has always been their policy to retain the monarchy after independence. Scotland is the oldest monarchy in Europe and there has never been any great desire to change that. The people doing the complaining are not Scottish nationalists but are part of a UK republican movement. Judging by thier accents they are mostly not Scots, but have been bused in for the day.

Nicolas Sturgeon said she wanted to keep the late Queen as Head of State even if she won a vote for a republic. The current first minister is less supportive of the monarchy, is a republican and has suggested he would like to see the monarchy's role in Scotland end within 5 years of an independence vote win.

The vote wasn't for a republic, it was for independence. The present First Ministeris a republican and has said he wants to be a citizen and not a subject. By saying this he actually doesn't know much about the Scots monarchy where the people were never subjects because in Scotland the monarch is the first among equals, on a par with their people. As such there was never any bowing or curtsying. A friend is going to write to the First Minister to put him right.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new First Minister is a republican but he did attend and had a role. The MSP ‘s making a noise are trying to take the spotlight away from other issues. Nobody has wasted money more than the Scottish government. The list is endless but the irony that they complain about the cost of todays event.

The Duke of Hamilton carries the Crown of Scotland.
His Grandfather did it for Queen Elisabeth II.

The late Queen was just Queen Elizabeth in Scotland, not the second.

It will always depend how close to the cameras thus the microphones they are. At the coronation the protestors were situated near Trafalgar Square so quite fr from anywhere action was happening (they were also drowned out by a well timed rendition of the national anthem).

TBH this event has not been all that big news here in the UK - I doubt it will be front page of many if any of the papers tomorrow other than a picture with a story several pages in on the inside.

It's not been big news because it didn't happen in England. If anything takes place in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland the London based media is not interested,

Youtube, the Royal Family Channel

It didn't show the service - only the going to and fro when I tried it. Nothing from inside the church.

Nicolas Sturgeon said she wanted to keep the late Queen as Head of State even if she won a vote for a republic. The current first minister is less supportive of the monarchy, is a republican and has suggested he would like to see the monarchy's role in Scotland end within 5 years of an independence vote win.

They weren't voting for a republic but for independence.

The intention was to remain a monarchy but like Canada and Australia et. al. share the monarch with England.

Camilla's first time wearing the Order of the Thistle (that she was appointed to only a few weeks ago).

The intention was to remain a monarchy but like Canada and Australia et. al. share the monarch with England.

IMO Nicola was trying to avoid alienating voters, it is a very mixed picture. Some want Independence plus a republic some only want independence. Others want to remain part of the UK but they might also want a republic. It is not a straight divide. Wanting one does not automatically mean wanting the other. If that makes sense. Time will tell.

IMO Nicola was trying to avoid alienating voters, it is a very mixed picture. Some want Independence plus a republic some only want independence. Others want to remain part of the UK but they might also want a republic. It is not a straight divide. Wanting one does not automatically mean wanting the other. If that makes sense. Time will tell.

Yes, it does make sence. There are also those who want independence under a restored House of Stuart, just to add to the confusion.

There seem to have been nice crowds out again to welcome the King and Queen ,despite what certain elements the media are reporting.

Knowing the area they were positioned I believe it was a tacticle move by the police. They were kettled in , but if trouble had erupted there was room to manoeuvre. There is not a great deal of space.
The irony of Patrick Harvey going on about democracy when he is in the Scottish cabinet yet his party only received 4% of the vote. Democracy when it suits.

There were at least three demonstrations from what I can work out. One at the Holyrood end of Canongate. Another by the Scottish Greens (?) just before Parliament Square. The largest & loudest demonstration was by Republic (mostly English people) just by the David Hume statue on Lawnmarket directly opposite Parliament Square & the entrance to St Giles'. That’s why (plus megaphone) they were so deafeningly loud on the tv.

It can't be very pleasant to be shouted at & booed by angry people. Politicians make a choice to put themselves in the public arena but the monarch has no choice. It's borderline harassment. I do hope they don't act this way when the Wales children are at an event. It's not on.

The police made a very poor decision. Such a prime spot should have been made available for ordinary spectators to watch the events.

Last edited:

Sorry my mistake posting too late at night, yes Nicola Sturgeon held an independence vote but still insisted her plan was for Queen Elizabeth II to remain as the new independent Scotland's Head of State. The new first minister was independence and is a republican.

Sorry my mistake posting too late at night, yes Nicola Sturgeon held an independence vote but still insisted her plan was for Queen Elizabeth II to remain as the new independent Scotland's Head of State. The new first minister was independence and is a republican.

It was Alex Salmond who held the vote as he was First Minister at the time. Also, in Scotland the late Queen was just Queen Elizabeth, there was no II.

Last edited:
Also, in Scotland the late Queen was just Queen Elizabeth, there was no II.

IIRC, when this came up in 1952, Winston Churchill proposed a compromise: that going forward, the regnal numbers would be whichever was the highest for each name - so "Elizabeth II" in 1952, but in the future, should the UK stay together, it will be a putative "James VIII" or "David III."

It was Alex Salmond who held the vote as he was First Minister at the time. Also, in Scotland the late Queen was just Queen Elizabeth, there was no II.

Yes and Nicola Sturgeon if given a second referendum would have followed the same idea for an independent Scotland. I think referring to the late Queen as II make it clear who we are talking about.

The Royal Household, well the Royal website, refers to it as both.

https://www.royal.uk/news-and-activ...k The King and,at the Palace of Holyroodhouse.

This week The King and Queen and other members of the Royal Family are in Scotland for the annual ‘Royal Week’, also known as ‘Holyrood Week’. The event is an annual celebration of Scottish culture marked by visits across the country and a Garden Party and Investiture at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. This is His Majesty’s first Royal Week as Monarch.

I'm much more use to it being known as Holyrood Week personally

Last edited:
Guests arriving for King Charles III's Scottish Coronation

Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence and Prince Michael of Kent attended a service of Thanksgiving for The Lord Boyce as Westminster Abbey today, July 13:

** rex gallery **

Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence and Prince Michael of Kent attended a service of Thanksgiving for The Lord Boyce as Westminster Abbey today, July 13:

** rex gallery **

And an 'official' engagement for both:

Sir Tim was representing The Princess Royal and Prince Michael was representing Princess Alexandra - both according to the CC.

King Charles and Queen Camilla hosted an event to celebrate the work of William Shakespeare, on the 400th anniversary of the publication of the first Shakespeare Folio, at Windsor Castle today, July 18.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and the Duchess of Edinburgh attended as well:

** gettyimages gallery ** pa images gallery ** dailymail article **

Last edited:
The three Royal Rugby patrons are the guests on the Good, the Bad and the Rugby podcast.

The Rugby World Cup is underway, so Tins managed to get us a meeting with the Patrons of the WRU, RFU & SRU at Windsor Castle. Hask & Alex can't believe their luck at being invited along to have tea with Tins' mother-in-law + The Prince & Princess of Wales.

Here's the video of the trio with the hosts.

:previous: Excellent video! Such fun to see the Royals interacting in such a natural way.

This might be the wrong place to ask this but I kept reading they were going to have a memorial on the anniversary of the queens death. Did they have one?

Lovely to see and hear how close they are - lots of little tidbits that suggest they see each other (and their families) more than we might see e.g. Anne talking about how competitive the Wales' children are etc

This might be the wrong place to ask this but I kept reading they were going to have a memorial on the anniversary of the queens death. Did they have one?

They did, but it was quiet. The King spent the day at Balmoral in reflection like the Queen used to on her own accession day. He and the Queen went to church that day. The Prince and Princess of Wales attended a church service in Wales where they laid flowers in front of a photo of the Queen. You can find this in the current events thread for both the King and Queen and the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Back
Top Bottom