British Royal Family Current Events 1: November 2002-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's nice to see that it looks like there are no more family squabbles.

that nice to kissing siblings!

Prince Charles, Prince Andrew and Princess Anne, i think Prince Edward also ?

Queen's four grown-up kids who is military uniforms. But i never see that Prince Edward uniforms before!

I knew Prince Charles wore military uniform many times and Prince Andrew same and Princess Anne also but Prince Edward.

Sara Boyce

From Hello!

The Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips rang in the first day of 2004 indulging in one of her favourite pastimes – equestrian pursuits.

However, the skilled horsewoman was on the sidelines this time round, as she cheered on her favourites at the Cheltenham racecourse.

And it seemed to be a happy new year for the 22-year-old royal, who showed off her smile throughout the event. Fashionable Zara was keeping stylishly warm, playfully hiding her million-watt grin behind a trendy striped scarf which she had wrapped snugly around her neck.

I love that scarf!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 110
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:
Another one from Hello!

Prince Charles and Princess Anne have been named as the hardest-working members of the Royal Family, after undertaking over 600 official engagements each in 2003. Charles turned out for 494 events in Britain, beating both the Queen and his younger sister. But with foreign events taken into account, the Princess Royal leads the field, clocking up a staggering 624 appearances, compared to Charles' 604.

As the figurehead for a number of international charities, Anne generally has more foreign duties than the rest of the Windsors. In 2003, these included a two-week trip to America and Mexico in her capacity as President of Save The Children.

The Prince of Wales was also busy, though most of his duties were closer to home. It is well-known Charles often goes without lunch, as he prefers to attend three engagements a day whenever possible.

Despite giving birth to her first child, Sophie Wessex made a respectable showing, with 179 official engagements. So did her husband Prince Edward, who turned out for 412 events. Meanwhile the Duke of Edinburgh had 456 outings. They were both outdone by the Queen, however, as Her Majesty chalked up a total of 478 appearances.

Buckingham Palace brightens up London

2 JANUARY 2004
Though the Queen was not at home to enjoy it, Buckingham Palace was awash in celebratory colours on Thursday, with an illumination carrying a message wishing everyone a Happy New Year for 2004.

The gesture is part of the "Brightening Up London" project, backed by celebrities such as Bob Geldof, which also saw the Palace wrapped in patterns ranging from a giant Union Jack to festive dots over the holiday season.

"The Queen was impressed by Bob Geldof's 'Peace And Hope' message project on to Wellington Arch and gave the go-ahead for the Palace to be lit up… The whole thing has been a great success and very popular with the public," said a Palace spokesperson.

Nine of London's landmark buildings, including the Tate Britain, National Theatre and Imperial War Museum, are also part of the campaign, which kicked off on Christmas Eve.

The light show transformed the Queen's London residence into a glowing New Year's message to everyone

Attachments

• bu1
    28 KB · Views: 75
The illumination is all part of the "Brightening Up London" project, backed by celebs such as Bob Geldof

Attachments

• bu2
    27.5 KB · Views: 108
Last week, the historic building was "wrapped" in the Union Jack, to celebrate the festive season

Attachments

• bu3
    27.9 KB · Views: 92
Well, in those days it was more a matter of strenght to keep the crown from your enemies than about irregularities around your birth. Besides as long as the parents were married, no matter the distance, any offspring produced by the wife was automatically given the name of the husband. (Of course this could provide some problems within the marriage, but legal technicalities seems to be ok, as long as they were married.)

And it's a crazy story. It's like someone trying to dig out the line of the rightful heir to the Norwegian throne, who had more rights than Queen Margrethe to it.

From the Daily Mirror..

DIANA'S LETTER: IT WAS CHARLES

Jan 6 2004

EXCLUSIVE

By Jane Kerr, Royal Reporter

PRINCE Charles is the person Princess Diana claimed in a letter wanted to kill her, the Mirror sensationally reveals today.

Before she died in a car crash, Diana wrote: "My husband is planning 'an accident' in my car, brake failure and serious head injury...to make the path clear for him to marry."

She gave the note to butler Paul Burrell who revealed its existence in the Mirror last year. Charles's name was blanked out. Burrell has been asked to hand the document to the coroner who today opens the inquest into Diana's death.

Burrell said: "It has fulfilled its purpose. I wanted to give force to the argument that an inquest must be held."

Can't help but feel sorry for Charles - it's just what he doesn't need!

Those poor men! I realize Diana's death was very tragic and every person in the world knew of it at the time, but for goodness sake let the poor women rest in peace! The inquest is just wrong, the accident (yes accident, they do happen), occured years ago!

The last thing William and Harry need is someone reporting that their mother believed their father was trying to kill her. The one thing I have to say for Burrell (the scum that I believe he is), at least he was smart enough to realize revealing this name would do the most damage of all.

I sincerely believe that at some point Charles loved Diana. And, although they divorced and fought, in the end he had respect for the mother of his beloved children.

Breaking News this morning
Inquest into Diana's death adjourned and Police Investigation Launched.
Wow what have they found????

Who can say Charles is innocent for sure? I suspect his wife knew him better than anyone. Murder is not something to just sweep under the rug and move on.

Her driver was drunk and she was not wearing a seat belt. The murderer (the driver) is dead. This has nothing to do with Charles. I don't love the guy, but to imply he murdered the mother of his beloved children is sick.

I think the Inquest is horrible all around. When Diana died there was already a big investigation into why and how the accident occured. Ordering an inquest would only open old wounds for William and Harry and Diana's family. And now to declare that Diana wrote that Charles was the one who was planning her accident and on having her killed -- how horrible it is for their sons. Not only is their mother gone and not only is the reason why she died open again but now their father is being accused of it.

Can't we just accept the initial investigation findings and resolve that her death was an accident and let her rest in peace and her sons and family, too?

Originally posted by Alexandria@Jan 6th, 2004 - 1:40 pm
Can't we just accept the initial investigation findings and resolve that her death was an accident and let her rest in peace and her sons and family, too?
Is there something wrong with wanting the truth? If my mother was murdered, I'd want to know why and who. I would not want to just forget it.

You look at any family response to the murder of a close. loved relative, and they never want to just forget it and move on before they know the truth.

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jan 6th, 2004 - 1:32 pm
Her driver was drunk and she was not wearing a seat belt. The murderer (the driver) is dead. This has nothing to do with Charles.

I don't love the guy, but to imply he murdered the mother of his beloved children is sick.
Don't believe everything you read.

Many men murder the mother of their beloved children. The husband/father is always the first suspect in police investigations into such "accidents" of a mother, and this isn't for no reason.

This is true, but Prince Charles is not that type. It was an accident. Let it go folks!

Once there is a reasonable explanation for why it is an accident, people will move on in a heartbeat.

In the meantime, there are too many ahh, weird circumstances.

Prince Charles, Camilla and other were counting on the fact that people would just move on, and let it go. If all else failed, who wants to be labelled a "conspiracy nut"?

They want her image forgotten. That is far more important than forgetting about whether or not she was murdered. They don't want anyone to remember her face or what she looked like, or what she said, or what she did.

Just let it go, move on. Who cares? Nobody?

" Once there is a reasonable explanation for why it is an accident, "

Driver was drunk. They were speeding. Sounds reasonable to me. Let's move on, I say.

BBC

"Britain's most senior policeman is to investigate whether the car crash which killed Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed was more than just an accident.

The announcement was made as separate inquests into the couple's deaths were opened and adjourned until 2005.

Coroner Michael Burgess said Sir John Stevens, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, would look at rumours surrounding the 1997 Paris crash.

Dodi's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, said he hoped "the truth" could now emerge.

On Tuesday it emerged that Paul Burrell, Diana's ex-butler, is to hand the inquest a letter in which she apparently claimed there was a plot to kill her in a crash.

The Daily Mirror claimed the letter appeared to show that Diana believed Prince Charles was behind the plans, although it pointed out the claims were probably "preposterous".

Diana 'not pregnant'

And the Times newspaper is expected to report on Wednesday that a post-mortem examination in 1997 found that Diana was not pregnant at the time of her death.

Conspiracy theorists have speculated Diana was carrying Dodi's child when she died, and that this was a motive for "plots" against her.

But BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said the Times is expected to quote former royal coroner Dr John Burton as saying he attended the British post-mortem and can categorically say Diana was not pregnant.

The inquests will be the first time the British authorities formally examine the couple's deaths, following a French inquiry which said their driver was drunk and speeding.

Announcing his decision to enlist Sir John Stevens' help, Mr Burgess said: "I am aware that there is speculation that these deaths were not the result of the sad but relatively straightforward road traffic accident in Paris."

Mr Burgess said Sir John's findings would help him decide whether the inquest, at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London, needed to examine the rumours surrounding the crash.

He said police would be asked to interview potential witnesses to determine the extent and relevance of their evidence.

Mr Burgess said it was unusual for an inquest not to be opened soon after a death - even if it was quickly adjourned - but that there had been too little information to hold a hearing soon after Diana and Dodi's deaths.

Adjourning the case for 12 to 15 months he said the delay was necessary to consider the vast amount of information from the French investigation, and issues such as which witnesses to call.

Public inquiry

Arriving for Diana's inquest, Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed, said: "This is what we have been waiting for, for six years.

"At last, I hope we can see the light."

Mr Al Fayed maintains the deaths of his 42-year-old son and the 36-year-old princess were the result of a conspiracy and is calling for a full public inquiry.

He was also present when his son's inquest was opened at 1500 GMT in Reigate, Surrey, by Mr Burgess - who as well as being coroner of the Queen's Household is coroner for Surrey.

Afterwards, he repeated his belief that Diana and Dodi were the victims of "horrendous murder" masterminded by the establishment.

Diana's personal bodyguard, Trevor Rees Jones, was the sole survivor after their speeding Mercedes crashed in an underpass on the short trip from the Ritz Hotel to Mr Fayed's Paris apartment.

But he has said he can recall little of what happened.

Mr Burrell welcomed the inquest into Diana's death.

"I have always thought that an inquest would be a good idea. I will co-operate with the inquest in any way that I can."

"Surrey coroner Michael Burgess has opened and adjourned for a year the inquests into the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales, and Dodi Al Fayed pending the results of a police inquiry into the crash that killed them.

BBC News Online looks at the issues surrounding the inquests.

Q: What are the questions to be answered about the circumstances of the deaths?

A: Inquests in England and Wales are limited fact-finding affairs.

They focus on who the deceased were; when and where the death occurred; and how the cause of death arose.

Expressions of opinion as to who might be to blame are not allowed.

But Mr Burgess has asked Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir John Stevens to lead an inquiry into the crash, to examine whether any findings may have a bearing on the inquest.

The move came as the Daily Mirror reported Princess Diana had written a letter before her death claiming Prince Charles was behind a plot to kill her.

Q: Will the coroner take the letter by Princess Diana into account?

A: BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said: "The coroner has said he wants to see any material that could be significant to the inquiry, and that letter could be such a document.

"But the fact that evidently Prince Charles is named... I think most people would find to be incredible and it would reduce the credibility of that letter."

Q: Is the inquest likely to end speculation over Princess Diana and Dodi's death?

A: Nicholas Witchell said: "This coroner.. is very aware that this inquest needs to be comprehensive and definitive.

"He is facing head on the speculation and conspiracy theories, and he has turned to the Metropolitan Police to investigate if there are any grounds for these suggestions."

Q: Is an inquest likely to satisfy all Mohamed Al Fayed's concerns?

A:Mr Al Fayed, Dodi's father, has said of the inquest: "This is what we have been waiting for six years... At last, I hope we can see the light."

But he has called for a public inquiry into the Paris crash, saying the remit of the coroner's inquest is far too narrow.

Q: Will the inquest re-open old wounds for the Royal Family?

A: The Daily Mirror's story and the intense speculation surrounding the death of Diana and Dodi will put Prince Charles under pressure.

It is also likely to prove very distressing for Princes William and Harry.

Q: Why has it taken six years to open inquests?

A: Before the coroner began, he had to take into account the findings of the investigations and proceedings in France. These have been going on for years.

Only last month a court in Paris cleared three press photographers of breaching strict privacy rules on the night Diana and Dodi died.

About 6,000 pages of documents have been sent from France to the coroner. "

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 6th, 2004 - 7:07 pm
BBC News Online looks at the issues surrounding the inquests.
This is a very interesting article, Dennism, thanks for sharing it.

I read an article in the paper at work this afternoon that asked a very insightful question: How many investigations into the cause of Diana (and Dodi's) death will be sufficient to satisfy everybody?

After the accident there was already one investigation that resulted in it being declared an accident: drunk driver, speed, not wearing seatbelts.

What if the coroner in this Inquest also finds that it, too, was an accident. Will someone somewhere order another Inquest? And the opposite of that: If the coroner in this Inquest finds that someone is responsible (maybe Charles, maybe not) for Diana and Dodi's death and that it was not an accident at all, maybe someone who supports Charles (or whomever may be accused of being responsible) will order another Inquest to prove Charles (or whomever)'s innocence.

It just seems like an unnecessary and vicious cycle to be dragging William and Harry and Diana's family through. Yes, there is something to be said for finding out the truth about the matter, but the "truth" may not be accepted by everybody.

I personally think that the reasons for Diana's accident is going to turn into a something like the conspiracy theories surrounding JFK's assasination.

"It just seems like an unnecessary and vicious cycle to be dragging William and Harry and Diana's family through. Yes, there is something to be said for finding out the truth about the matter, but the "truth" may not be accepted by everybody.

I personally think that the reasons for Diana's accident is going to turn into a something like the conspiracy theories surrounding JFK's assasination. "

Yes, I was going to say those boys. I mean those young men have been through too much already. Let's move on already. Conspiracists will always search for something in everything.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 6th, 2004 - 7:35 pm
Yes, I was going to say those boys. I mean those young men have been through too much already. Let's move on already. Conspiracists will always search for something in everything.
Have the boys/young men said they don't want the investigation into their mother's death (aside from the French investigation which left many questions unanswered)?

As far as I understand it, it's the law that there has to be an inquest in Britain. It would be the same for any British citizen who dies in an accident while overseas.

Both Prince William and Prince Harry have said numerous times that they wish for people to leave their mothers accident alone. They want to move on with their life and that it is hard to do so with rumors concerning their mother constantly flying about.

Another thing...if it should come out that Charles had something to do with the accident (which I still firmly believe was just that...an accident. No one was "involved"), imagine what that will do to the two young men who have been through so much already. They would lose yet another parent and quite possibly every sense of stability and love they ever believed in.

Let this end for them...

BBC

"Rumours Princess Diana was pregnant when she died are false, a former royal coroner who saw her post-mortem has said.

Dr John Burton said he could tell she was not expecting a baby when he looked at her womb.

"I was actually present when she was examined. She wasn't pregnant. I know she wasn't pregnant," he told The Times newspaper.

The rumours were raised again last month when Dodi's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, petitioned Scotland's Court of Session for a public inquiry into the deaths.

Conspiracy theorists have speculated that Diana's alleged pregnancy was a motive behind "plots" to kill her - claims dismissed as "bizarre" by Dr Burton.

Dr Burton, who was one of only two people at Diana's post-mortem, told the Times: "She had only met Dodi six weeks before.

"Even if she got pregnant the first time she met him, that he shook hands and got her pregnant, the baby would only be six weeks old at most.

"It doesn't stop everybody wanting to believe it"

Diana and Dodi died after their car crashed in a Paris underpass in 1997.

A French inquiry ruled the crash was caused by their driver being drunk and speeding.

Blood test

Under the Coroners Rules in Britain, post-mortem reports must include the results of internal examinations of the deceased's generative organs.

Dr Burton said a blood test would not be necessary to tell if the Princess was pregnant if she had been internally examined.

"You wouldn't need to do any tests if you looked at the womb, and you are required to by the Coroners Rules," he added.

On Tuesday, it was announced that Britain's most senior policeman is to investigate whether the fatal crash was more than just an accident.

Coroner Michael Burgess said Sir John Stevens, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, would look at rumours surrounding the 1997 Paris crash.

Speculation

Dodi's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, said he hoped "the truth" could now emerge.

The inquests will be the first time the British authorities formally examine the couple's deaths.

Announcing his decision to enlist Sir John Stevens' help, Mr Burgess said: "I am aware that there is speculation that these deaths were not the result of the sad but relatively straightforward road traffic accident in Paris."

Adjourning the case for 12 to 15 months he said the delay was necessary to consider the vast amount of information from the French investigation, and issues such as which witnesses to call.

Diana's personal bodyguard, Trevor Rees Jones, was the sole survivor after their speeding Mercedes crashed in an underpass on the short trip from the Ritz Hotel to Mr Fayed's Paris apartment.

But he has said he can recall little of what happened.

Mr Burrell welcomed the inquest into Diana's death.

"I have always thought that an inquest would be a good idea. I will co-operate with the inquest in any way that I can."

Vh1 has a show called "The Fabulous Life of". Last night's episode was about William and Harry; it's on again at 1:30 this afternoon (Eastern time). VH1 :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom