British Royal Christmas 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Wales family are usually at the family lunch, so I expect they were there this year as well.

That said, the children finished school on Friday, 16 Dec, and the lunch wasn't until Tuesday, 20 December. Depending on what else they had on, they may well have escaped to Anmer on 17 December.

I understand that they're living close enough to walk to Windsor Castle, so if the weather cooperated then they could have chosen to walk there. And let one or more members of the family burn off some energy. ;)
Here's an aerial photo of Windsor Castle and Adelaide Cottage.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ttage+and+windsor+castle#imgrc=XjJW5Qw_m-yeBM

Last edited:
I understand that they're living close enough to walk to Windsor Castle, so if the weather cooperated then they could have chosen to walk there. And let one or more members of the family burn off some energy. ;)
Here's an aerial photo of Windsor Castle and Adelaide Cottage.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ttage+and+windsor+castle#imgrc=XjJW5Qw_m-yeBM

Or they might have arrived earlier in the morning (or even had been staying in the castle the night before). It's a family lunch in a residence, not people gathering together in a restaurant where each of them order food to the waiters on arrival. Since Charles and Camilla arrived around the same time as the other guests, maybe Catherine was the one who oversaw the preparation? The late Queen was also known to get involved for such thing instead of leaving everything to her staff, right? And in this case, even though Charles was the host, maybe he asked his daughter-in-law to organise it/oversee the preparation on his behalf since she's living close by.

It's lovely to see the inclusion, though, of the so many family members including so many of the children, even Wolfie!, and even Andrew. While I'm no fan of his he is still family and though we often hear about a contentious relationship with Charles, it was kind of Charles to include him in the Christmas Day walk. I really think Beatrice looks more stunning every year. Marriage and motherhood suit her well. All in all a very successful Christmas walk with Louis clearly stealing the show.

I thought that was lovely and shows once again that they have clearly embraced him as part of the family. And for all the complaining that gets done from certain quarters it does show that the family is capable of making progressive changes when appropriate and necessary. Years ago he wouldn't have been anywhere near the public part of the day or perhaps even the private. And it does appear to show co-operative co parenting on everyone's part as well.

I wonder what the future holds for Christmas and the RF - will it continue to be at Sandringham I wonder. OR was this a "one off" in part in memory of the late Queen.

Why shouldn't it be at Sandringham anymore?

I was just asking if e thought it would stay at Sandringham, the new kIng may wish to change things around though the fact he hasn't this year suggests it will continue but it isn't guaranteed.

I was just asking if e thought it would stay at Sandringham, the new kIng may wish to change things around though the fact he hasn't this year suggests it will continue but it isn't guaranteed.

I think they will siphon off in coming years into their own households. Charles, the Wales and Camillas kids I’m sure will be there.

A number of posts have been deleted. The only place for discussion of the Sussexes is on their own thread. This is not a new rule, so at this point here should be no confusion about it. Any further posts along those lines will be deleted.

I hope all is well with Princess Anne. But it's odd that she wasn't at Christmas Mass at Sandringham. Almost the entire Royal Family was there.

More photos:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Mike-Tindall-Sandringham-church-service.html

Thanks for the link. ?
Prince Louis of Wales is certainly enjoying the family outings and the Princess of Wales keeps him close by and in check at all times. He's just acting his age; in a year the photographers are going to miss all that energy from him as he matures.

Anyone knows how do the Wales' children refer to Queen Camilla, since she has been in their lives since the start as a step Grandma? 'Nana'? 'Granny' ? or mixing up her name like 'Grandmilla?' :ermm:

Thanks for the link. ?
Prince Louis of Wales is certainly enjoying the family outings and the Princess of Wales keeps him close by and in check at all times. He's just acting his age; in a year the photographers are going to miss all that energy from him as he matures.

Anyone knows how do the Wales' children refer to Queen Camilla, since she has been in their lives since the start as a step Grandma? 'Nana'? 'Granny' ? or mixing up her name like 'Grandmilla?' :ermm:

Or just Camilla. She isn't their Granny and there seems no effect by family to make her so.

More interested in what Camilla's Grandkids call Charles.

It's not unusual to address a step-grandmother as Granny or Grandma, or maybe Auntie Camilla, but I don't think it's ever been mentioned anywhere. It'd be more unusual for very young children to address a woman in her 70s by her first name. I'd be interested to know the answer!

It's possible. I suspect the guest list will fluctuate as it has for some years now with the Tindalls often spending it in Australia and the extended family like the Chattos in other places or with the other side.

They might move it (back) to Windsor but since it seems that the King's preferred swiftly post Christmas break is up in Scotland anyway they might as well keep it at Sandringham where everyone is now used to going and the public walk attracts goodwill and publicity. Unless it becomes unviable for some reason or they completely outgrow it with the numbers who want to come in the future with kids growing up, although that's unlikely.

It's not unusual to address a step-grandmother as Granny or Grandma, or maybe Auntie Camilla, but I don't think it's ever been mentioned anywhere. It'd be more unusual for very young children to address a woman in her 70s by her first name. I'd be interested to know the answer!

Angela Levin wrote in her recent book that William had definitively decided that Camilla isn't a step-grandmother, though you never know how accurate those things are (and the parent only has so much say anyways, unless the person is totally cut off).

Three of my grandparents remarried, and all three spouses had very different roles. One was my grandfather, one was a woman I knew by her first name, and the other was a mystery (I never met her and to this day I don't believe I've ever seen a photograph of her).

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. ?

Camilla was asked this question in the weeks after George was born, and she replied that she would expect to be called "Gaga", which is what her own grandchildren called her.

That may have been a neat solution, side-stepping the whole Granny or not issue.

The Waleses have posted George's painting for their Christmas greeting.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/1606930043980382211

This kid is talented. He's only 9, but the details; snow on the nose, the little birds. I'm impressed.

"Artist and creator of the reindeer Christmas design, Hannah Dale, complimented Prince George’s drawing and stated that “His talent is very, very promising!—It was a really lovely surprise to see on Christmas day.”"

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/20221229160574/prince-george-painting-talent-christmas-card/

"Artist and creator of the reindeer Christmas design, Hannah Dale, complimented Prince George’s drawing and stated that “His talent is very, very promising!—It was a really lovely surprise to see on Christmas day.”"
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/20221229160574/prince-george-painting-talent-christmas-card/

Ok, Prince George is still a kid, but this is a bit disappointing - that he simply copied an existing painting!

And I thought, Oh my, look, a little artist, like this mini-Monet boy...

Ok, Prince George is still a kid, but this is a bit disappointing - that he simply copied an existing painting!

I am sorry to hear you are disappointed, but young children often develop their artistic skills by recreating the work of others. It is only when they get past a certain skill level that they start to create their own works.

Unless he was a genius at painting is it really likely that he is going to paint something wonderful at 9 yrs of age? why would anyone expect it?

TBF, even an art student in an art school at some point will be asked to "copy" a known work by their instructor either in the form of complete duplication or making their own interpretation of said work. It's the ability (to paint it) which is counted, not to object of said painting.

Rebecca English (if not done other RR) tweeted her son's similar deer picture when commenting on George', so it seems like it's a common theme for an art class around Christmas. Surely it's rather common in primary school, not just in England, where the art teachers give a theme to their pupils of what to draw while giving them example and the whole class ends up drawing the same picture (with varying result, of course). I've been through such experience and I must admit even tough I tried my best to replicate my teacher drawing, mine didn't really do it justice :lol: (which is not the case for George's. I mean, his reindeer's eyes is "alive").

Here the tweet I'm referring:

*the real deal breaker would be if it's actually his mother's but they claimed it as his.

Last edited:

If I had copied that existing painting even at my age it wouldn't look half as good. I appreciate art but my talent is just mediocre.

Where I live the civic building are currently filled with lots of Year 3-6 art work, many of them deer and very well done so it is clearly a current theme, many of the very good Year 5/6s look comparable to George's.

To be honest when it first appeared I assumed he had been working from a photo of a stag at Balmoral or something, so this isn't much different.

The only thing that would spoil it for me would be it if was discovered that Kate had "helped" with 85% of it or something but I doubt that's the case.

Having taught art to students of this age group for over a decade, providing an example for students to
follow is a typical and age appropriate teaching technique.

George is a kid. And it takes skill, talent, and practice to even be able to copy something reasonably well, so I don't think there's any need to be disappointed he didn't simply imagine this one.

Aside from which it's nice to not only know about one of his interests but see the evidence of it.

Having taught art to students of this age group for over a decade, providing an example for students to
follow is a typical and age appropriate teaching technique.

Yeah, it is just like, that he was in the years before painting these pictures of exploding volcanos and all, dinosaurs. And now... I am just afraid he was 'nudged', to paint the reindeer... Poor little Prince!

I am bit surprised too.
Here I was thinking that George was quite the artist- and yes with parents who are very much into art. It wouldn't surprise me if George had developed quite well artistically.

I think the fault lies in the way his painting was portrayed on the IG page.
It simply said painting by George. This falsely gave the impression that George was the originator of the painting.

George is a 9 year old who drew a Christmas themed picture, nothing to get too hung up about.

Lets not verge on bullying.

Yeah, it is just like, that he was in the years before painting these pictures of exploding volcanos and all, dinosaurs. And now... I am just afraid he was 'nudged', to paint the reindeer... Poor little Prince!

It was likely an art class project so students could create a gift for their families. Most teachers typically have their students create handmade gifts for their families before their winter holiday break begins.

I would be surprised if she went to a Christmas mass. Mass is a very Roman Catholic term and not usually used in relation to the CoE. We just say 'church' or a 'church service' - regardless of whether it is communion or simply a prayer service.

Divine Service was the first service of the day and the one which they all attended with children was simply a Morning Prayer service - some readings, some carols and a short sermon but not communion.

There was possibly something just lost in translation and I understood that the poster just meant the church Service.

Yep, Solus Deus, but aren't the British Royals since 1000 years on their throne by a higher blessing?:whistling:

Not a 1000 years. The British monarchy only came into being in 1707 when Queen Anne became the first British monarch.

Back
Top Bottom