A Swedish Royal Christmas (Traditions, Christmas Cards, Photo Sessions)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen:
- The royal family celebrates the Christmas holiday privately. But Princess Madeleine and her family intend to come home and celebrate Christmas with the family, and she is very much looking forward to that.
- On December 20, she will make the traditional receiving of Christmas trees.
Prinsessan Madeleines plan för julen – kommer hem till Sverige

The event was updated to the calendar
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Christian newspaper Dagen tells, that Victoria reads the Christmas Gospel on the Christmas Eve at SVT's program “En julhälsning från Slottskyrkan” (A Christmas Greeting from the Royal Chapel). It will be broadcasted at 19.55 on SVT1.
The reading of the Christmas Gospel has already been recorded, photo from SVT.
Kronprinsessan Victoria läser julevangeliet i SVT – Dagen

And the Royal Court Parish tells this also today at its social media.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWaM6hLrg-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Its wonderful to see the Feast of St. Lucia traditions continued on in the Royal Family.

About Victoria reading the Christmas Gospel on the Christmas Eve at SVT.

On prime time during Christmas Eve, SVT's viewers are offered the opportunity to watch and listen to when Crown Princess Victoria reads the Christmas Gospel from the Royal Chapel in Stockholm.
- I am of course very happy that we were able to record the program with the Crown Princess. She is a natural talent, says Johannes Söderberg, priest and producer with responsibility for TV church services and weekend prayers on SVT, to Kyrkans Tidning.
Kronprinsessan Victoria läser julevangeliet i SVT

Margareta Thorgren said to Expressen that Madeleine and her family will come to Sweden this weekend and on Monday, Madeleine receives the traditional Christmas trees, and also Chris and the children participate.
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neill ska dela ut julgranar ihop.

Happy Fourth Advent!
Today, on fourth Sunday in Advent, princess Estelle and prince Oscar send a greeting from the Royal Chapel.
Glad fjärde advent! - Sveriges Kungahus

HQ photo at court press room by Sara Friberg/The Royal Court.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Oscar_foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpg

Estelle speaks the text "När det lider mot Jul" by Jeanna Oterdahl and the sextet from Life Guards' Dragoon Music Corps plays it, composed by Ruben Liljefors.
What a wonderful video, gives such a warm Christmas feeling! Estelle's smile and Estelle and Oscar wishing "God Jul". So joyful. And the beautiful song played by the sextet.

Screenshots
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050011X16399205002382408
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050021X16399205002382408
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050031X16399205002382408
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050041X16399205002382408
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050051X16399205002382408
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050061X16399205002382408
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010050071X16399205002382408

Last edited:
That was wonderful! Prince Oscar is sooooo cute!

What a simply beautiful advent video from the Royal Chapel.

Madeleine, Chris and the children received today the traditional Christmas trees from the Swedish Forestry Students' Union at the Royal Palace.
Madeleines comeback – på slottet med Chris och barnen! _*Svensk Dam
Madeleines barn visar sig på slottet – för första gången på fyra år _*Svensk Dam

Margareta Thorgren said that the family and children are happy to be in Sweden and get to meet grandma and grandpa and their cousins, and the whole royal family. It is a joy that is important, not least in these times when we are still in a pandemic. They were here and received the Christmas Trees, there were a number of different spruces with a number of different sizes. It is students who hand over the spruces and it is a nice tradition.
But before the family can celebrate Christmas Eve, another, for the family, a very important holiday awaits - on the 23rd is Queen Silvia's birthday. Thorgren said that now the whole royal family is gathered in Sweden and it will be a nice family celebration where the queen has her whole family around her.
Prinsessan Madeleines comeback med familjen

Last edited:
Madeleine, Chris and the children received today the traditional Christmas trees from the Swedish Forestry Students' Union at the Royal Palace.
Madeleines comeback – på slottet med Chris och barnen! _*Svensk Dam
Madeleines barn visar sig på slottet – för första gången på fyra år _*Svensk Dam

As Prince Carl Philip and his family have received the Christmas trees in some previous years it only seems fair that Princess Madeleine and her children should have a turn. But I wonder why Chris O'Neill is taking part given that he has chosen not to be a member of the Royal Family, or even a Swede.

Didn't Princess Madeleine, Chris and children spend last Christmas in the USA?

But I wonder why Chris O'Neill is taking part given that he has chosen not to be a member of the Royal Family, or even a Swede.

He is a member of the family, loving husband and father.
He wants to be with his wife and children in this special moment.

Madeleine is beautiful (as usual!), what a lovely family, I don't expect that but it's good to see Chris here and share the joy with his wife and children.

As Prince Carl Philip and his family have received the Christmas trees in some previous years it only seems fair that Princess Madeleine and her children should have a turn. But I wonder why Chris O'Neill is taking part given that he has chosen not to be a member of the Royal Family, or even a Swede.

I suppose it would be complicated to explain to the kids why dad can't be there too. Besides, a full family photo is better PR for the Court.

The fact that Chris chose not to be an HRH or a Swede shouldn't mean he is banned from any Court event.

The Swedish Royal Family seem to be the most religious one in Europe with church attendance and gospel readings.

The Christmas greeting with Victoria from the Royal Chapel will be shown at SVT1 this evening, put has been put to SVT Play during the night.

Victoria says: "Merry Christmas from us at the Royal Court Parish and welcome to the Royal Chapel here at the Royal Palace in Stockholm. I think that sometimes it is good to remind yourself why we are celebrating Christmas. I will read from ..."
After reading the Christmas Gospel/Story Victoria says: "With this I want to wish You a very Merry Christmas".
Hälsning från Slottskyrkan _ SVT Play

Screenshots
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Margareta Thorgren said yesterday evening to the press:
- Now the private Christmas celebration has also begun for the royal family and therefore the court gives no more information about how they celebrate Christmas other than that the family celebrates parts of the Christmas weekend together.

The Crown Princess family continues their visits on Christmas Eve, like on two previous years (in 2019 they visited the Norrmalm Police Station and in 2020 Ambulance station City):
On Christmas Eve morning, the Crown Princess family visited the Solna fire station to wish a Merry Christmas to the firefighters who work during the holiday.
The family had the opportunity, on behalf of the entire Royal Family, to thank for the work that the employees in the fire service perform around the clock, during all days of the year.
The family received a presentation of the fire station and the business. Afterwards, Estelle and Oscar offered gingerbread for the Christmas Eve work shift.
Solna fire station is responsible for the security of 1.4 million inhabitants.
Kronprinsessfamiljen besökte Solna brandstation på julafton - Sveriges Kungahus

Photos at court Facebook

At website of Storstockholms Brandförsvar
Visit from the Crown Princess family gilded the firefighters' Christmas
On Christmas Eve morning, Storstockholms Brandförsvar (Greater Stockholm Fire Brigade) was visited by Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel, Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar. The visit was much appreciated by the firefighters who work on Christmas Eve.
During the visit at Solna fire station, the firefighters and the Crown Princess family talked about what it means to maintain full preparedness in Stockholm during all days of the year - including Christmas Eve. Among other things, the firefighters told about the type of fires you can put out during Christmas, when it is easy to forget Christmas food on the stove, or that you forget candles in flammable Advent candlesticks.
A current issue that affected both firefighters and visitors was the ongoing pandemic, where everyone in the community must be helped to do their best every day to slow the spread of infection and reduce the burden on healthcare. The firefighters told about how, despite the pandemic, they have managed to maintain preparedness over the past two years by being extra careful with, among other things, cleaning and hygiene routines.
The Crown Princess family also got to see how different parts of the fire station are used and how the station maintains 90 seconds of preparedness around the clock. Afterwards, Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar offered gingerbread for the Christmas Eve work shift.
- To be noticed by the Crown Princess family on Christmas Eve means a lot to the firefighters who work today. The great interest that the family showed in our business and the warmth they spread is a clear sign of society's appreciation for what we do, and something that we will carry with us and get energy from during the Christmas and New Year weekend, said Greater Stockholm Fire Brigade Director Peter Arnevall.
Besök från Kronprinsessfamiljen förgyllde brandmännens jul - Storstockholms brandförsvar

One more photo at Facebook of Storstockholms Brandförsvar

Estelle och Oscars julbesök på brandstationen i Solna

Between Kalle Anka and Karl-Bertil Johnsson, the crown princess appears at prime time.
For the first time ever, Victoria reads the Christmas gospel on SVT to half a million viewers.
But the Crown Princess is not standing in the Royal Chapel on Christmas Eve itself, but has pre-recorded the reading.
Even a heir to the throne may feel the need to celebrate Christmas with Kalle Anka and associated delicacies such as meatballs and ham. Therefore, the reading was pre-recorded a few weeks ago.
Margareta Thorgren to Expressen:
- It is the Christmas gospel and it was pre-recorded in the Royal Chapel during December.
Christmas is important at the home of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. Like many other families, Christmas has consisted of Christmas preparations and Christmas baking.
Thorgren said that she thinks this is something that applies to all families, especially now when you are in a pandemic to spend time with the family, plan and prepare Christmas. The royal family does the same with their children.
Därför var Victorias framträdande på julafton förinspelat

Kronprinsessan läser julevangeliet - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
What a wonderful visit to the Solna fire station today!

The King's traditional Christmas speech has just been broadcast at Sveriges Radio, and will be shown at SVT1 in the evening.
SVT has put the speech to its website already now, video:
H.M. Konungens jultal _ SVT Play

We see at the desk a photo of queen Silvia and the group photo of the Royal Family taken this summer. We see also the book "Upptäck Sverige med kronprinsessan Victoria" about crown princess Victoria's province hikes at the desk.

H.M. Konungens jultal 2021 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

During his Christmas speech, His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf especially highlighted those who lost a loved one during what was to be another year marked by the pandemic.
- I can not say anything that fills that emptiness. But I still want, in this way, to send a greeting, a thought, to you, said the king.
Kungens hälsning till dem som förlorat någon nära

Court website
H.M. Konungens jultal 2021 - Sveriges Kungahushttps://www.kungahuset.se/kungafami...gensjultal2021.5.6a4cc5ca17db8150d1a7357.html

HQ photo at court press room by Sara Friberg/The Royal Court
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...ultal_foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpg

The court put the speech to its Youtube

Last edited:
At SVT1 is broadcasted in the evening a Greeting from the Royal Chapel, where princess Christina reads a Christmas story based on one of the figures in the nativity scene.
The program has already now been put to SVT Play:
Princess Christina says: "Good continuation of the Christmas weekend and a warm welcome to the Royal Chapel and to us at the Royal Court Parish. When darkness surrounds us like this in December, we need to gather around what gives us warmth and light in life. And what better way than for us to turn to the main character of Christmas, the child in the manger. Tonight I want to read a story written by one of our court chaplain Karin Karlberg. In tonight's Christmas story, we get to listen to a donkey who is dreaming."
Hälsning från Slottskyrkan – Avsnitt 2 _ SVT Play

Screenshots

At SVT1 was broadcasted in the evening a second episode of a Greeting from the Royal Chapel, where princess Christina read a Christmas story based on one of the figures in the nativity scene.
Princess Christina said: "Tonight I want to read a story written by one of our court chaplains, Karin Karlberg. In tonight's story, we get to follow three wise men who, after seeing a new star, the king's star, now go to Jerusalem, to search for him."
The greeting at SVT Play
Hälsning från Slottskyrkan – Avsnitt 3 _ SVT Play

Screenshots

A bad quality photo which shows us the Crown Princess Family's Christmas Card, someone has taken a screenshot from the video The Romanian Royal Family published. We see a glimpse of Carl Philip's family's card too.

Margareta Thorgren confirmed to Svensk Damtidning that the Crown Princess Family has during the Christmas and New Year holidays spent time with Daniel's family.
Victoria och Daniels hemliga jul med svärföräldrarna _*Svensk Dam

Some old Christmas cards

Whether Madeleine and family will arrive to Sweden for Christmas remains to be seen. Margareta Thorgren said to Svensk Damtidning that there are plans for it, but that right now it is not something that is nailed down and ready.
- The children are bigger now and just like all school children, they have school in December and mid-December. So if they come to Sweden, it is in connection with the Christmas holiday.
Hovets besked_ Madeleine kan stoppas från julfirandet i Sverige _*Svensk Dam

Babben Larsson was chosen as SVT's Julvärd 2022 (A julvärd refers to the person presenting the Christmas Eve programs on SVT each year).
Larsson was a guest on SVT's Morning Studio this morning, where she talked about the new assignment, and at the same time revealed a little secret.
- We have a nice reading from Crown Princess Victoria, she says cryptically and concludes with:
- Maybe we'll see it, we haven't decided yet.
Babben avslöjar Victorias hemlighet i svt _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Carl Philip and Sofia wish Happy Second Advent at their Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClvUQn1DUy5/

Victoria and Daniel are listed at court's calendar to receive the traditional Christmas trees from the Swedish Forestry Students' Union on 16th December at the Royal Palace. It's a school day, but hopefully we will see Estelle and Oscar too.

The Royal Court at its Instagram
"Lucia morning at the Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CmGyRPgqgK0/

Beautiful.

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attended yesterday Lilla Akademien's Lucia concert at Lilla Akademien. Queen Silvia is the patron of Lilla Akademien.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fj6wx0eXwAA2Jh9?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fj6wxawXgAABeXM?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fj6wxJKXkAEwQq7?format=jpg&name=large

Princess Birgitta told about her Christmas to Svensk Damtidning. Birgitta stays in Mallorca and her two sons and their families arrive to celebrate with her. It will be great to meet the children and grandchildren.
What does a royal Christmas look like in Mallorca? According to Birgitta, the Christmas celebration looks the same as for just about anyone. But a Swedish Christmas is not sought after.
- It depends on the weather. At the moment we have bad weather so I hope that changes. Then we'll play golf! Go out and like tat, yes, things that all people do. You eat well and drink well, have dressed the tree and give out Christmas presents. Yes, as it is done everywhere, it is the same with us.
Birgitta wishes for herself peace and joy. She hopes that the world will correct itself a little so that it will be calmer for all parts. That is the only thing she wishes for at the moment.
Prinsessan Birgittas besked – så blir julen i år_ _Hoppas att det ändrar sig_ _*Svensk Dam

Back
Top Bottom