Royal Accessories (Bags, Gloves & Scarves)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalKnottie

Gentry
City
Washington
Country
United States
I've been looking at photos on the forum of royals wearing gloves during formal events but what I don't quite understand is why sometimes they only have one glove on and are holding the other glove? Is their some tradition or protocal when it comes to wearing gloves? The only thing I have noticed is that if one glove is off it is usually off the right hand.

That's because the right hand is used for greetings (shaking of hands etc). After having taken off the right hand glove, it is then passed to the left hand.

Last edited:
Royals usually take the glove off of the hand they shake hands with - the right hand :) I think it might be so that there is some "contact" between themself and the person they are shaking hands with

Well that makes sense. Thank you so much for the info.

However protocoll used to dictate that a Lady would not take off her gloves to shake hands in a formal setting. :ermm:

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II keeps her gloves on while shaking hands.

Gloves are an interesting part of the royal wardrobe, especially white ones which are seldom seen elsewhere nowadays.

Infomation on other countries Royal use of white gloves would be great.

I often saw pictures of Queen Sonja wearing only one of her gloves after arriving somewhere. .... I guess for the reason named before.
BUT: She also used to wear only one glove in official portraits...

RoyalProtocol said:
Gloves are an interesting part of the royal wardrobe, especially white ones which are seldom seen elsewhere nowadays.
Sonja usually wears white gloves only. I cannot remember seeing her other gloves... She often wears them with her galadresses.

Here are a few examples of the Norwegian Queen wearing gloves :

As Queen and Crown Princess
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting
Scanpix

On official portraits
Corbis
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting wearing only one of her gloves for an official photo
Scanpix
KnudsensFotosenter

I think long white gloves make galaoutfits look even more elegant!

Last edited:
Gloves are also worn for events such as the opening of Parliament, New Year receptions and the arrival of dignataries (when they are greeted at the airport) etc.

ImageShack - Hosting :: visittothefaeroeislands46ok.jpg posted by Alisa here.
http://img146.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc90&image=40442_71249674.jpg posted by carlota here.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/515084-post61.html
ANP Beedlebank
and finally new year:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34322&d=1073438121 from this post by Alexandria
From PPE: [DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto and http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2007/07010302.jpg

Personally I love it when royals wear gloves, somehow it seems to bring back a world almost left behind...

Can anyone post the photo of CP Letizia's Hot Pink Paisley scarf worn on her trip to the united states last week? I really think it made the entire outfit, and would fit nicely in this thread! Thanks in advance.

That's it Annie S, thank you soooo much-dont you just love this scarf? I had not realized before how many scarves the CPrincess Letizia wears- I think she looks so chic.

I'm glad we finally have a thread for the scarves only :flowers: IMO,CP Letizia has worn the rarest and the most beautiful scarves so far.She always manages to highlight her outfit with the scarf she picks.I also liked Rania's,especially the glittering one in the 1st pic(Dublin).That was really lovely!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Nov. 3, 2009 Princess Letizia visited the Castle of Zamora and the Second Forum of Women in Rural Areas at the Instituto Ferial de Zaragoza.

She is wearing a lovely purple scarf and matching jacket:

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Enjoy!

Lovely vibrant color, Letizia seems to have some of the most interesting scarves :flowers:

I like these specially.The black one and the pink one ,because I like these colours,and I love the pink dress and the pink scarf,she is glamorous here with a lovely little bag too,and the red one ,because she is stunning there ,with it and the beautiful dress,so colourfull:flowers:

Great idea to have a thread about bags only! :flowers: Sadly I can't see one picture... :ermm:

This is a nice & cool bag for casual IMO, I like the colour and you know how useful big bags are. ;)[/QUOTE]
yes and im a big fan of this type of bags , princess Mary use this bag a lot in her holidyads .

Back
Top Bottom