Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Or something like this. Big, swooping skirt fit for a not so small church, clean lines with an amazing back. Of course with this one it'll have to be less open or otherwise we'll have people clutching their pearls.

https://www.mupload.nl/img/kn6oa2fl68wus.png
https://www.mupload.nl/img/37vcuabxnfvfd.png

I'm projecting my favorite type of dresses onto Meghan at this point to be quite honest. :whistling:

I love this dress. I think the front is a bateau neckline.

The skirt is gorgeous and what a gorgeous train.

I really do hope Meghan chooses a grand gown with clean lines. With a tiara and veil she will look spectacular.

I do love the back of the gown (of course as you note will have to be closed up in some way). Wish we could see the front!

LaRae

I do think people are over exaggerating the clutching pearls. Stephanie of Lux had a deep v back on her gown, and there were actual Nuns at her wedding. As far as I know no catholic fainted at the sight in a catholic cathedral.

Unlike a deep v in the front, there is no cleavage to show. And a beautiful veil would do a lot to conceal much of it.

I can see the Carolyn/Meghan similarities, honestly. But I'm not convinced Meghan has been trying to channel Carolyn.

Meghan only once said that she liked CBK's wedding dress. That was it. From there the press started to compared Meghan's style with CBK's.

I don't see Meghan copying CBK's style at all. I don't see the similarities.

Meghan only once said that she liked CBK's wedding dress. That was it. From there the press started to compared Meghan's style with CBK's.

I don't see Meghan copying CBK's style at all. I don't see the similarities.

Ah, so I looked that up: Carolyn Bessette Kennedy Wedding & Style - Photos of Carolyn Bessette and John F. Kennedy Jr

I'd say that tells us a lot. :flowers: Especially factoring in her dress for her first marriage. To me it looks like she will go for a slim line look. That's what I see her in, too. Not that she would have something like Pippa's gown at Kate's wedding, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were along those lines, with some considerable 'overlay' or decoration of some kind. So interesting to see what she chooses to do. ;)

Whatever she does she will probably avoid anything that would compare her first wedding to this one, and avoid anything like Kate's dress. Along with avoid anything to close to the lower body...she has to curtsey and she doesn't want a 'Pippa moment'.

LaRae (not a fan of the Bessette dress)

Some of those folks are a bit out there if they think she will actually wear that type of dress.

LaRae

Which dress are you referring to LaRae?

More than one... cupcake dresses (full ballgowns), dresses fitted down the whole body, low cut dresses without sleeves or covering (net etc), very frilly/busy dresses, blinged out dresses.

LaRae

:previous: Agreed.

Would have also been nicer if they had chosen some British designers to ask, with a chance at designing. May have also understood what is needed from a royal wedding dress.

:previous: Agreed.

Would have also been nicer if they had chosen some British designers to ask, with a chance at designing. May have also understood what is needed from a royal wedding dress.

That's the first thought I had when I saw some of the sketches, did they not (or someone in their employ) look up to see what would be appropriate/acceptable for a woman marrying into the BRF?

LaRae

More than one... cupcake dresses (full ballgowns), dresses fitted down the whole body, low cut dresses without sleeves or covering (net etc), very frilly/busy dresses, blinged out dresses.

LaRae

I get that, but I thought there were a few that were nice designs. We all want to insert our own tastes on this wedding dress and of course designers are no different. The fact is no knows what Meghan’s vision is for her own dress. Maybe she wants the frilly ball gown with a cathedral train or perhaps she wants something more sleek and less dramatic. We just don’t know.

I don’t see her going with some wild avant-garde couture and I do expect she will be respectful of the institution and very conscious that this dress will be part of the history of Royal brides. I can’t wait until May to see it!

That's the first thought I had when I saw some of the sketches, did they not (or someone in their employ) look up to see what would be appropriate/acceptable for a woman marrying into the BRF?

LaRae

Agreed. British designers would have more insight and understanding of what is or is not feasible in design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that, but I thought there were a few that were nice designs. We all want to insert our own tastes on this wedding dress and of course designers are no different. The fact is no knows what Meghan’s vision is for her own dress. Maybe she wants the frilly ball gown with a cathedral train or perhaps she wants something more sleek and less dramatic. We just don’t know.

I don’t see her going with some wild avant-garde couture and I do expect she will be respectful of the institution and very conscious that this dress will be part of the history of Royal brides. I can’t wait until May to see it!

I think most of us are going by her choices of clothing in the past and some of her stated preferences...that's why we say it's very unlikely she is going to wear X type of dress, along with knowing there are some guidelines she has to consider due to who she is marrying and the location.

I can't wait to see what she goes with though!

LaRae

Aside from the fact that all of the designs are just suggestions and examples of the designers' works, I really think it is a bit too much to talk about what is "suitable" for marrying into the BRF. Meghan can do what she wants and like any bride will take the setting and the circumstances into account. This is the 21st century and however esteemed the BRF, I am sure most of its members can handle a little individuality.

As you say, she will take the setting and circumstances into account...and you aren't likely to see her in anything that will raise eyebrows.

LaRae

Aside from the fact that all of the designs are just suggestions and examples of the designers' works, I really think it is a bit too much to talk about what is "suitable" for marrying into the BRF. Meghan can do what she wants and like any bride will take the setting and the circumstances into account. This is the 21st century and however esteemed the BRF, I am sure most of its members can handle a little individuality.

Individuality doesn’t involve being disrespectful in church. Individuality will have to be within parameters in her case. As long as it’s in parameters, other members of BRF probably wouldn’t care as long as she’s happy. So yes, to a point, suitability of the dress matters.

Indeed the setting....an Anglican church which in the UK traditionally requires covered shoulders on their brides, and no plunging necklines and such.

Circumstances.... a royal wedding in which part will include a curtsey to the queen which will require a skirt she can perform that in.

Beyond those two criteria most suggestions have been made from her fashion style we have seen. And the designers, and the style of dress, she herself has suggested in interviews in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom