Queen Alia Al Hussein (1948-1977): Information and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T-R-O-U-B-L-E said:
Alia Toukan (Queen Alia then) was born rich and was used to the lavish things,so we can't blame her... Al-Toukan are known to be one of the richest Jordanian (from palestinian origins) families,especially her father and now her brother...

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't blaming Alia for wearing lavish things....I said that wasn't it KH who wanted her to wear those kinds of clothing, at least that is what I read in a post. I'm not criticizing Alia for wanting to wear nice things. As far as knowing Alia's family was wealthy, until you said that, I wasn't aware of it.

Last edited:
sommone said:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't blaming Alia for wearing lavish things....I said that wasn't it KH who wanted her to wear these type of clothes, at least that is what I read in a post. I'm not criticizing Alia for wanting to wear nice things. As far as knowing Alia's family was wealthy, until you said that, I wasn't aware of it.
lol dun worry i know u weren't criticizing her,and I wasn't defending her ;)
I was just trying to explain thats all.

Queen Alia: A Mix of Beauty, Kindness and Insecurity

Who would've thought such a lovely woman was deep down so worried and "insecure" (that's not the correct word but something like that....her letters reveal she did feel great concern about how she was perceived by her fellow Jordanians and her actions in the eyes of her husband). Queen Alia's face does show that vulnerability others have mentioned. There is a sadness, kindness, joie de vivre......all combined. She always put on a good face; I found her talks and letters with Mrs. Trudeau and Sadat interesting as she WAS a woman who was worried, scared, a bit insecure, not totally comfortable with sharing her upsets with her husband so bottling them in till he was away......like many of us. It's the classic lesson. From appearances, some may look like they "have it all" when they are just as human and share the same feelings we all do. Wistful.....many of her photos have that quality. It's endearing. The fact she was so kind and genuinely cared about others was coupled with the fact she felt she was losing support among the Jordanian people. And I read her as being a person who wished to "please" not offend others. Perhaps that's why she flew off into a sandstorm with such tragic consequences to visit a hospital which was not providing proper treatment to a patient. Did she feel, deep down, she had to "prove herself"? I don't think she did have to do such a thing.....which makes her death that much sadder. The more I see her photos and read about her, the greater I feel her loss was for so many.

Odd. As I was writing this, a tape of Princess Diana came on with her saying "Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's troubles; courage in your own." I think that pretty much sums up Queen Alia.

I think it was natural for Queen Alia to connect with Margaret Trudeau. Margaret She didnt have an easy time being married to the Prime Minister of Canada. They ended up getting divorced, but remained friends until PM Trudeau's death in 2000.
Women married to statesmen and Kings often have to come second. Their husbands have bigger responsibilities ie, the well being of an entire nation. I wonder if Alia's marriage would've lasted had she been alive.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I guess Queen Alia hoped Prince Ali would be the Crown Prince..

"I know I have produced a Crown Prince and that is something,"

It just goes to show that none of the King's wives, at least not Alia, Muna, and Noor, were so unselfish as to not wish their sons to be the next crown prince. All three had the same ambition in that respect.
Had Queen Alia been alive today, things might have been different.
Many things would surely have been different if Queen Alia had lived, however, this remark also shows us many different perceptions and false premises of the whole succession issue, which seem not to be understood by many people to this day, who continue to cling to the belief that Prince Hassan refused to comply with his brother's wishes.

1) It was commonly assumed that Prince Ali would take precedence over his older brothers in the question of suceeding their father. This was I suppose in part due to what was said and decided in parliament when the King married Princess Muna.

2) Prince Rashid was not born at this time when Queen Alia made this statement, but obviously no one took on board the full implications of the then crown prince possibly having a son.

3) Once that son was born, the whole succession issue would have to be governed by what was laid down in the constitution, whatever anyone's personal preference was.

4) More than anyone, King Hussein should have fully studied and understood the full implication of his decision when he made the amendents to the constitution that allowed Prince Hassan to be named his heir. The late king should have made whatever further amendments that were necessary to ensure that his brother would be followed by one of his own sons rather than his own son. King hussein's failure to address this sensitive but vital issue has led to much bad blood and misunderstandings within the Jordanian Royal family, to their and the whole country's detriment.

Last edited:
I know I'm probably the only one who didn't know this , but I wasn't aware that QA's eyes were green. It's good to have a perspective on QA and some of her inner most feelings concerning her family and her country. I too often wonder what life would be like as well if QA was still alive. Unfortunately, that is a question that can never be answered.

Alia's Marriage

I hope it would have; she really seems to have loved him profoundly....but clearly she needed her personal outlets and time, space and privacy--as she mentions re: her dream house in Chelsea and desire for Georgian furniture.....I'd read their home in Amman was bland and stark. Was she not allowed a hand in decorating it? She was there for five years....you'd think if she wanted a certain look, she could have decorated to suit her tastes. Roland Dallas in his excellent book on KH says QA too "suffered from the King's fondness for English nannies....." He was a great man in many ways but it might have been quite complicated to be married to him. Insecurities about other women can be quite devastating to one's self-esteem.....and the worries about assasination, whether people like and accept you, ......perhaps even if--as a wife--one would suddenly go the way of Dina and Muna w/o warning.....But, as you said, we will never know.

I am picking up a streak in KH re: his wives. On the one hand, he never told them what to do in an official capacity; let them figure it out for themselves. On the other, he had strong feelings about their attire, curbed some of their natural impulses (like QN writing a condolence letter to Mrs. Sadat) and was not terribly sympathetic outwardly when QN lost her first baby when it would be natural to mourn with her. And from the articles written by their chief of household, things ran according to his wishes within their homes....perhaps even controlling how the house he and QA shared was decorated. Seems a bit controlling in that regard. And the womanizing......when Larry King said to QN "well, he was a 'dandy,'" she quickly moved the topic along, didn't say he wasn't but said her problems re: the gossip about him others were sharing with her was not about that. Hmmmmm. I think he would've made a better friend than husband all things considered. Any thoughts from others?

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I think it was natural for Queen Alia to connect with Margaret Trudeau. Margaret She didnt have an easy time being married to the Prime Minister of Canada. They ended up getting divorced, but remained friends until PM Trudeau's death in 2000.
Women married to statesmen and Kings often have to come second. Their husbands have bigger responsibilities ie, the well being of an entire nation. I wonder if Alia's marriage would've lasted had she been alive.

No i do not think she does have any sisters. She had only two brothers.

Yes she have two brothers, they was in the Haya´s wedding

Queen Alia´s brothers

Attachments

• a2s0.JPG
    a2s0.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,090
  • a20.jpg
    a20.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 678
Last edited by a moderator:
lol she doesn't have any sisters? thank you for tellin me I've always thought she had a sister...ummmm

igniya said:
No i do not think she does have any sisters. She had only two brothers.
i thought so as i never see any sisters of her in prince Ali wedding their was only two brothers and in all the pic's was taken i didnt see any lady

tipper said:
OMG, thanx to u, suria, I like better the pic they are dining in the dining room-
yes this was nice too all the pic's are very nice they look like a happy family

suria said:
i thought so as i never see any sisters of her in prince Ali wedding their was only two brothers and in all the pic's was taken i didnt see any lady
1 of her brothers is a doctor, he lives in Rome, he's a famous, wealthy doctor, I found his address in the Rome Directory, he lives in the best and most expensive part of the city, his mum also lives in Rome, we had the pic of her and Hayah shopping in Rome, years ago.

tipper said:
1 of her brothers is a doctor, he lives in Rome, he's a famous, wealthy doctor, I found his address in the Rome Directory, he lives in the best and most expensive part of the city, his mum also lives in Rome, we had the pic of her and Hayah shopping in Rome, years ago.
really wow this is interseting her brothers looks like her a lot i noticed that its very obvious in the pic's

tipper said:

A picture of Haya and who shopping?

tipper said:

you mean Haya and Rym

suria said:
you mean Haya and Rym
no, Hayah and her grandmum, Alia's mother, who lives in Rome, at least I heard that, Hayah used to come over many times for competitions, so we had this pic of them together out shopping- Alia has been living in Rome for a long time, she was studying at San Ignazio di Loyola, a Catholic school, which I think it's very odd... a very good school, though.....

Haya's uncles, Dr Alaa and Dr Jaffar live in jordan as does her grandmother.

i have these photos of QA
she is soooo beautiful( Allah Yr7amha)

Attachments

• iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 16,670
  • jjjj.jpg
    jjjj.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 6,482
thank you for the pictures suria. i agree she is very attractive and very glamorous.

Queen Alia Biography

Here's a biography on the late Queen Alia

H.M. Queen 'Alia al-Hussein (b. at Cairo, 25th December 1948; k. in a helicopter crash while returning to Amman from Tafileh Hospital, 9th February 1977, bur. Royal Mausoleum, Raghdan Palace, Amman), educ. Loyola Univ., Rome (BA), and Hunter Coll., New York (M. Business & Public Relations), rcvd: GC of the Orders of Hussein ibn 'Ali with collar, and the Precious Crown of Japan (1976), daughter of H.E. Sayyid Baha ud-din Toukan, sometime Ambassador at the Court of St James's, UN, Italy, Egypt and Turkey, by his wife, Hanan, née Hashim, niece of H.E. Ibrahim Hashim Pasha.

more on the Jordanian family

http://4dw.net/royalark/Jordan/jordan3.htm

MGA production photos

Attachments

• pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyOCthYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFBoBR1JG.jpg
    pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyOCthYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFBoBR1JG.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 3,551
QA is Jordan's most beautiful Queen; none of KH's wives could top her, never. She had this beautiful smiley happy eyes that she inherited to Haya. She also had longish check dimples, makes her face even more gorgeous, may she rest in peace.
I posted some of the pictures from Haya's site in QA's picture thread, I couldn't upload them from QA's site, but her photo as young child is included.

lil Monkey said:
Queen Alia through the eyes of Her Friend
HM Empress Farah Pahlavi

The House of Well Being
I wanted to remember the days I was in Aqaba and Haya was born, she was a little older and then Ali and I remember I had a lot of affection for them. I remember this little phrase that Ali told me when he was tiny and in the evening they had to go to bed and go to sleep and I told him he had to go to bed, he would look at me and said "naughty Aunty Farah, go to bed!"

Aww I thought this was very cute ...

So he has this sense of humor since early childhood, I can imagine his pretty little face crunching and yelling: "naughty Aunt Farah! CUTE! I feel that he is a bit sarcastic too, in a good way.

from Jordan times

Today marks the 29th anniversary of the death of Her Majesty Queen
Alia, who passed away on Feb. 9, 1977. The late Queen, born in Cairo
in December 1948, died in a helicopter crash while returning from an
inspection trip to Tafileh Hospital in southern Jordan. Queen Alia,
born Alia Baha Uddin Toukan, married King Hussein in 1971. They had
two children: Their Royal Highnesses Princess Haya and Prince Ali.
In 1972, they adopted Abir Moheisen. Active in charity and social
work, the late Queen represented Jordanian women at many
international conferences, serving as a model for Arab women,
supporting Arab women's causes and their participation in socio-
economic development. In memory of Queen Alia, Princess Haya set up
the Umm Ali shelter, which provides assistance to underprivileged
families

Thursday, February 9, 2006
JTimes

What has always impressed me about Queen Alia is how she made such a wonderful, lasting impression on such a diverse range of people. She's mentioned in the autobiographies of Barbara Bush, Betty Ford, Jehan Sadat, Margaret Trudeau and I'm sure others I don't know about and all said essentially the same thing: That she uplifted their spirits with her genuine kindness and empathy and sensitivity. The fact she was able--at a comparatively young age--to relate so well and so easily to so many says so much about her. I was very grateful when the website dedicated to her was created and her mother, brother and others shared their memories of her. I can't remember which lady of those I cited described her as a "graceful presence" but I think it's a fair observation. It was also very telling when I read that her former co-workers in NYC upon hearing of her marriage, pooled their money to call her and wish her their best. The story one of her brothers tells of her always bringing home people having troubles in an effort to cheer them up was endearing. What a special, kind, and, yes, graceful, gracious lady!

30th Death Anniversary

Friends, today is the 30th Death anniversary of the Late Queen Alia. While Jordan remembers and misses the Majestic Queen, let us not forget how Abir, Haya and Ali still feel a vacant spot in their lives and Mrs. Hanan's (mother of Queen Alia) heart wrenching grief.

I thought about that this morning when I saw the date of Feb.9. Thirty years ago-Alia has been dead longer than she was alive.:sad: :sad: :sad: I am sure her family misses her still. It must also be in some way consolation to them that she is still remembered, not only in Jordan but around the world, for her beauty and kindness and the many ways she tried to help her fellow citizens. Rest in peace.

Thank u a lot for your kinless really I'm happy that Ur words touch my heart,
I remember her every day I don't know her but I know her heart and I know princess haya and prince ali maybe haya remember some thing about her mother and maybe prince ali didn't know her bout she lives in theirs body she lifes in theirs laughes in theirs smiles, I know what she is mean to theirs life I know she was not like an any mother … yes she died from 30 years ago but,,,
She is like a sun she is sending her golden strings to theirs life every day, every morning and she sunset every day on evening but she wills back next day I feel her children feel more than that

And when winter come she be a moon she sends her light and every day to her family

So we always missed her sooo "Allah yr7mah" I hope if u are remember her usually and put some nice words about her,

Thank u all friends :flowers:

Last edited:
Sad but true

Has anyone noticed that although QA is very loving, she is discriminating between her natural children and Abir. You can judge by seeing her several photos with the children that she is always hugging Haya and Ali and poor Abir is standing behind or sitting a little away.:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom