Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna: June 2008-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She would want any Romanov property that belonged to her father returned to her.

That is your opinion and it is contrary to every single statement the Grand Duchess has made on the subject.

It's a shame that we don't get to hear of these things until months afterwards, the Imperial Chancellery seems a bit slow. But none the less, thankyou Cory for keeping us up to date! It's interesting that Maria is taking a very active role in the 2013 celebrations. Not unexpected but interesting.

You're very welcome. The news arrives indeed quite late.

It's the address of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna on the upcoming 400th anniversary of Smuta (Time of Trouble). Smuta was the period in history of Russia between 1598 and 1613, marked by Polish-Swedish invasion, natural cataclysms, harshest political, economical, state and social crisis. The 400th anniversary will most probably be celebrated some time in 2013.

The Grand Duchess speaks of importance of honouring our ancestors and their legacy. She also says that the best monument would be not ones made of stone or metals, but our good deeds, helping those in need and what's in our hearts.

The address was recorded in Maria Vladimirovna's private residence in Madrid.

If you want to, I can upload a video on YouTube with word to word translation. :)

That's very kind of you Artemesia, thankyou! I wanted to know the general jist, I thought it might be something to do with the 400th anniversary. I wonder why HIH hasn't done anything like this before? I would have thought video addresses at pertinent points would do her cause the world of good in a social media age where to be seen is to get on.

:previous:
Bear in mind that even the most "progressive" royal families joined the social networks quite recently. The Grand Duchess is fairly traditional and usually just posted announcements on the Imperial Family website. However, we will probably see more of these kind of video addresses from now on.

I've added the video to YouTube with English subtitles.
Not a great work because I have only basic programs on my laptop, but hopefully, not too horrible either.

The address of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna from March 1 2012 (English subtitles) - YouTube

Thank you Artemisia (of course I can understand Russian, but my vocabulary is slipping, so having English subtitles was a great help). I really like the sentiments behind the speech. She's certainly on the right track.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a huge help Artemisia, thankyou!! I think HIH presents herself really well in this video.

You are welcome, Daria and Beatrixfan. :)
She speaks surprisingly fluent Russian: I expected a bit of an accent. She ending is a bit abrupt, but otherwise a very good presentation.

On Sunday, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna was present at a Moscow summit hosted by President Putin. The topic of the meeting was unity both in Russia and greater Europe. Other guests included former French President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing as well as former heads of state from Poland and Austria.

ansa.it - Ansalatina - Putin llamó a la unidad nacional y europea

Im looking for Maria Vladimirovna's contact details. Can anyone provide them?

The address to write to Her Imperial Highness is:

The Office of HIH Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna
Russia, 105066, Moscow,
ul. Old Basman, 21/4, 37

The press office of the Republic of Ingushetia has announced that it will be hosting Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna for five days in November.

Her Imperial Highness is interested in learning more about the culture, economy and history of the region.

Grand Duchess Maria plans to visit academic institutions and to meet with leaders of both the Muslim and Orthodox faiths.

Source: Office of the President of the Republic of Ingushetia

:question:

Ingushetia is federal subject of the Russian Federation. The Grand Duchess has been invited by President Yevkurov, who was appointed by then President Medvedev. You are thinking of Transnistria, which is occupied by Russian troops and which Maria Vladimirovna has visited before.

Perhaps a little fact checking is in order before jumping at the first opportunity to criticize the Grand Duchess.

Last edited:
Please pass along my most sincere apologies to your illustrious Grand Duchess and my best wishes on her diplomatic and cultural journey. How could I possibly have questioned the reasons for such a historic visit. I have deleted my previous post lest anyone be led astray:whistling:

Why, how very gracious of you. Your astonishingly kind regards will be swiftly conveyed to Her Imperial Highness. As soon as she finishes receiving words of support from the rest of her well-wishers.

It appears that Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna tries too hard to endear herself to the powers that be.

She holds the deaths of the Imperial Family over hte heads of the Russian nation all the stupid time and seems to have some sort of sick fixation on the murders. I bet that Cyril would have merrily executed Nicholas herself if it meant getting the throne himself.

tries too hard to endear herself to the powers that be.

She sucks up to every regime, it's quite disgusting. She was all over Yeltsin, all over Medvedev, sucks up to Putin who was KGB and had no issues killing any dissenters of Communist Russia (the very regime that mudered Nicholas) and she shows up much of a family tradition it is to backstab the rest of the Romanovs in pursuit of her desire for a throne.

Happy Birthday to the Duchess!

AristoCat: About your post 539, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Well I think your posts on the Grand Duchess never fail to display an irrational and intense distaste for a woman you have probably never met. As such they come across as repetitively tiresome. Your assumptions about the Grand Duchess's motives are not supported by any evidence. In what way does the Grand Duchess hold "the deaths of the Imperial Family over the heads of the Russian nation all the stupid time"? It seems to me the Grand Duchess's attitude to the murders of 1917 is simply to support the opinion of the Orthodox Church. Also, as most Russians do not have a clue who she is tends to make your comment a tad exaggerated. The Maria Vladimirovna you talk about is a caricature, and you are just rude about her son (I seem to remember something about a "porky prince").

I don't understand why the Grand Duchess annoys you and some other posters so very much, and why you feel the need to constantly vent your spleen by lashing out at her. I have an intense distaste for "Downton Abbey" (overrated; nothing more than a soap opera - give me EastEnders any day), so I keep away from that thread. If it is constructive criticism I am quite happy to look into the evidence. But if all you have to add to the subject are irrational generalisations and personal insults, I'm not interested and I wish you would keep your vitriol to yourselves.

Also known as realpolitik.

For what reason? She has no office in Russia that requries her to be around diplomats and there is no reason at all to believe that there will be a restoration and there is no way that it's a good idea to end up playing with fire the way she is. These officials in Russia, many of them are the descendants to the people who lined her relatives up against a wall, without a twinge of regret.

There have been successive heads of the Russian state making it clear that a restoration is impossible and after a while, you would think she would give up.

But the Grand Duchess is not pursuing restoration, as she has made perfectly clear time and again. Obviously there is not going to be a restoration in Russia, but her role as Head of the Imperial House, as an historical institution, does require, as she sees it, a certain degree of public visibility. I do agree that her relationship with some of those odd little republics is questionable. But I do not know enough about them, and their relationship with the Russian Federation, to come to a definite conclusion on that topic.

But some of the Grand Duchess's official visits are completely acceptable and take place with the official approval of the Russian Government. Her 2007 visit to Australia was accorded official recognition by the Australian and State Governments. In Victoria she stayed at Government House as a guest of the Governor. A state dinner was given in her honour, and she carried out numerous public engagements of a cultural, religious and historical nature. All very respectable and in keeping with a good old fashioned royal visit.

I love her larger than life approach to her role as Head of the Imperial House. She brings colour, not to mention a certain eccentricity, to a drab world. Good luck to her I say.

No red flags, just red carpets, for grand duchess - National - theage.com.au

P.S. What have "successive heads of the Russian state" actually said about restoration? Quotes please.

Last edited:
For what reason?...
There have been successive heads of the Russian state making it clear that a restoration is impossible and after a while, you would think she would give up.
Realpolitik: "a policy of political realism or practical politics, that is, the politics of the real word rather than politics based on theoretical, moral, or idealistic concerns."

examples:
A restoration in Serbia is unlikely, yet Crown Prince Alexander has an accommodation with the government;
A restoration in Albania is unlikely, yet Crown Prince Leka has an accommodation with the government;
A restoration in Romania is unlikely, yet King Michael has an accommodation with the government;
A restoration in Germany (or Bavaria or Württemberg, or Waldeck-Pyrmont for that matter) is unlikely, yet the Heads of those Houses have accommodations with their respective governments...

These officials in Russia, many of them are the descendants to the people who lined her relatives up against a wall, without a twinge of regret.
Oh please, the irrational and emotive hyperbole. Using your logic, Maria Vladimirovna should shun contact with any member of the House of Windsor descended from the King who coldly abandoned the Tsar to his fate, or any person who is a descendant of someone who waged war on Imperial Russia and thereby directly contributed to her dynasty's downfall. And since when has Vladimir Putin been held personally responsible for the Imperial murders at Ekaterinburg, Alapaievsk and St Petersburg?

Apart from that nonsense, I doubt that you have any personal knowledge whatsoever of the Grand Duchess's twinges or lack thereof.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom