Pope Francis Current Events Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ABC is the most conservative newspaper in Spain.

Las desafortunadas mantillas de las Trump en el Vaticano

The unfortunate Trump mantillas in the Vatican

Despite being guided by the laudable intention of following protocol, Melania and Ivanka have ended up being a laughing stock in social networks.

Halfway between birds of prey, the crime of Puerto Urraco and the witches of Zugarramurdi, the "duet" of first American ladies , Melania and Ivanka , appeared like in their audience with Pope Francisco. With the best of intentions, they attempted to comply with Vatican protocol without achieving the true purpose of the rules of the small religious state: avoid calling attention.

Donald Trump and his family arrived at the Vatican on May 24 with the purpose of smoothing rough edges with the Pope, who remains ideologically opposed to the US president on so many issues. After the brave courage on her trip to Saudi Arabia and the Emirates, in which Melania Trump looked beautiful disregarding the rules that exist on the use of hijab, the first lady seemed to triumph with her style message in defense of freedom and women. In Israel , without a specific protocol, everything was smooth as silk except the slap that Melania gave Trump when on arrival in the country he pulled his hand after getting off the plane.

Upon arrival at the Vatican, however, the Trumps have left historical images in our retina. Both Melania and Ivanka followed the norm of appearing black, since the white is supposed to be reserved for the queens of Catholic countries in their papal audiences, with the so-called "white privilege", a subject that is not even written but which is usually respected. Melania and Ivanka avoided necklines, wore a long skirt below the knees and wore long sleeves. They did not flaunt important jewels, nor did they wear excessive makeup that could shock.

But the duo of first ladies arrived with ridiculous mantillas which immediately caught the attention of international photographers. Trump's wife, in her attempt to emulate Jackie Kennedy at JFK's funeral, opted for an excessively small mantilla that did not even rest on her shoulders, giving rise to a kind of "hood" with lace edging. Ivanka, on the other hand, found herself "definitive" with a black tulle headband that gave her an air of black widow who called in too much attention.

Both mantillas broke with the true protocol of the Vatican, that without going into deeper detail, it observes the norm of discretion, humility, absence of adornment and the unwritten rule of trying to go unnoticed.

Suffice to note that the Reina Sofía has attended hearings without mantilla - although she wears one in multitudinous big events of the Vatican, something also emulated by Doña Letizia . Queen Maxima, catholic and Argentine as the Pope, but reigning in a Protestant country, attended her audience with the Pope dressed in a black dress and a simple long mantilla over the head, since in Holland there is no tradition of mantilla with comb. Juliana Awada did the same.

It is curious that the same woman who refused to cover her hair in the Arab countries a few days before, would cover them with pleasure in the Vatican. There can be three main reasons for this. The first is that Melania is probably Catholic , since in its country of origin, Slovenia, at least 60% of the population declares itself as such. Slovenia borders the northeastern Italy, and is close to Venice and Trieste. Probably for her the visit to the Holy Father was something special. The second reason Melania Trump could choose to wear mantilla is that represents to Americans , of which 25% is Catholic.

Last edited:
It is curious that the same woman who refused to cover her hair in the Arab countries a few days before, would cover them with pleasure in the Vatican. There can be three main reasons for this. The first is that Melania is probably Catholic , since in its country of origin, Slovenia, at least 60% of the population declares itself as such. Slovenia borders the northeastern Italy, and is close to Venice and Trieste. Probably for her the visit to the Holy Father was something special. The second reason Melania Trump could choose to wear mantilla is that represents to Americans , of which 25% is Catholic.

I don't find it curious at all, for me the point is that one is free to make a choice. In Saudi Arabia local women MUST cover their hair but at the Vatican they MUST NOT.
Melania Trump and other international women like Merkel, Obama made the choice not to wear a scarf in SA because they make a point that they cannot be forced to do so while in the Vatican they make the choice to wear a scarf out of own respect or because they share the religion - OR NOT. For me this has everything to do with force/free will.

I don't find it curious at all, for me the point is that one is free to make a choice. In Saudi Arabia local women MUST cover their hair but at the Vatican they MUST NOT.
Melania Trump and other international women like Merkel, Obama made the choice not to wear a scarf in SA because they make a point that they cannot be forced to do so while in the Vatican they make the choice to wear a scarf out of own respect or because they share the religion - OR NOT. For me this has everything to do with force/free will.

You are quoting the paragraph as my opinion. The paragraph is part of the translated Spanish newspaper article I provided.

For,the sake of accuracy, Jackie Kennedy did not wear a mantilla at her husbands funeral. She wore a black pillbox hat with a long black veil attached. It was chest length in front and waist length. Very similar to what queen Elizabeth and the queen mother wore at king George funeral ten years earlier.
When Jackie Kennedy met the pope she wore a very long mantilla.

I remember having to wear the "short form" of a lace mantilla when attending Catholic mass in my childhood. Round circular pieces of lace that sat on top of the head. That custom has long been resigned to the past and now its up to the woman herself to wear or not wear what suits her.

Its no big deal anymore if a woman covers her head at the Vatican or not and most certainly, it probably never occurs to the Pope at all.

German chancellor Angela Merkel to Vatican with her husband Joachim Sauer to meet Pope Francis in a private audience on June 17, 2017.

Belga Image

Pope Francis beatified the Lithuanian Archbishop,Teofilius Matulionis on June ,he died in prison in the USSR in 1962 ,his remains were exhumed in 1999 and tests confirmed that he had been poisoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHg_djYaZ2k

The Pope laments over the attacks in Barcelona and prays for the victims

New Mexican ambassador presents credentials to Pope Francis at the Vatican.

The Pope receives magnificant welcome in Colombia!

Thousands greet the Pope in Colombia ,the Papal visit will see him travel to illavicencio, Medellin, Cartagena and the capital Bogotà.

The Pope was left slightly bruised after hitting himself against the popemobile in Colombia.

The Pope's meet with the World Muslim League at the Vatican.

The President of Peru visits the pope to officially invite him to the country

New ambassador of Spain presents his credentials to the pope

Yesterday, October 9, Pope Francis received German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and his wife Elke Buedenbender for a private audience:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
The Pope welcomes German President,Frank-Walter Steinmeier at the Vatican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom