The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really doesn't matter what you think is appropriate. The Queen evidently has no problem with the labels Meghan has been wearing. If there's an issue it will filter down to Meghan/Harry.

All the pearl clutching over the labels is ridiculous. You might as well tighten your seatbelt because most likely she will continue to wear labels that are not all from the U.K. Just like today..some are U.K., some are commonwealth and one is neither.

LaRae

I don't think any of us have any idea at all what the Queen thinks, and we never will. I can remember when Catherine had her (seemingly unending) series of wardrobe malfunctions people saying with authority that the Queen had told her to put weights in her skirts, etc. And then there'd be another upskirt moment, so clearly not. My personal suspicion is that the Queen very seldom gets involved with these kind of details, and assumes that the royal women will figure it out as they go along. Most of them do.

And, hopefully Meghan will eventually hit the right balance of domestic and international brands in her wardrobe, but if she doesn't it will undoubtedly feed into the narrative that she's not quite getting with the program, and that's not a desirable narrative long term.

Might it be a bit presumptuous for you to proclaim so, given that you have no idea what communication may or may not take place between HM and Meghan, directly or indirectly?

My guess is that HM is unlikely to want to get involved in something like this, and would hope that Meghan (perhaps advised by Harry) will work it out for herself.

If that is indeed the case and she will not substantially increase the level of British fashion she wears, she will just not get the support of the public and the press that she should, as a member of the BRF. In that case, what you see in the Press today might be hear to stay.

No more presumptuous than you saying it's not appropriate. Further..one can assume that if Meghan had a directive from the Queen she'd be following it. Seeing as how this has been going on for months and months I think any 'not approved' would of been filtered down.

The only one I keep hearing carry on about the labels...is you. I'm on Twitter, various FB groups (royals) etc etc. There are 2 or 3 folks here who mention it...past that no one is talking about her labels. They may get around to it at some point..but as of yet it's not happening.

LaRae

My personal suspicion is that the Queen very seldom gets involved with these kind of details, and assumes that the royal women will figure it out as they go along. Most of them do.

I have to agree with you, I just don't think HM gets directly involved unless it becomes are really big issue.

And, hopefully Meghan will eventually hit the right balance of domestic and international brands in her wardrobe, but if she doesn't it will undoubtedly feed into the narrative that she's not quite getting with the program, and that's not a desirable narrative long term.

That's right. But so far, outside of the Australasia trip, she is not displaying signs of her finding that right balance!

I don't think any of us have any idea at all what the Queen thinks, and we never will. I can remember when Catherine had her (seemingly unending) series of wardrobe malfunctions people saying with authority that the Queen had told her to put weights in her skirts, etc. And then there'd be another upskirt moment, so clearly not. My personal suspicion is that the Queen very seldom gets involved with these kind of details, and assumes that the royal women will figure it out as they go along. Most of them do.

This is why I roll my eyes when folks start talking about her clothing not being appropriate. Just like the folks who say they can't wear dark nail polish or can't go without hose or can't wear XYZ. They all do these things but folks still keep carrying on as if Meghan is doing something never done before.

Based on what we have seen so far I am guessing Meghan is going to continue to wear a mix of labels (all at the same time). She could wear 4 Brit labels and 1 non-Brit label and that's not enough either.

Folks need to settle down and see how things continue.

LaRae

The outfit is not bad at all she looks nice but then i saw the outfit without the coat and i am not fan the deess looks terrible on her

The dress is too tight for her at the moment but I like it and the coat is nice. I don't think it looks nearly as awful as some people find it. And her hair looks fine - and perfectly clean to me.

In theory, this works, but in practice, not so much. The dress is way too tight.

I love the coat, clutch and shoes. I also love that she is wearing her coats and shoes from her time in Canada and the US. Love her with pulled back hair.

They all do these things but folks still keep carrying on as if Meghan is doing something never done before.

LaRae

And they all get criticized for it. I think the narrative that Meghan is somehow uniquely being singled out for criticism of her clothing and style that no one else has faced, ever, is a poisonous one. All you have to do is take a trip down memory lane, reread old posts, gossip columns and so on to see Sophie, Camilla, Autumn, and Kate, to name just the most recent examples, all getting lambasted for supposed protocol infractions. Meghan is unique in many ways, but that isn't one of them.

No more presumptuous than you saying it's not appropriate.

I think there is a clear difference in stating an opinion and make a presumption ?

Further..one can assume that if Meghan had a directive from the Queen she'd be following it. Seeing as how this has been going on for months and months I think any 'not approved' would of been filtered down.

LaRae

None of us are privy to what actually may or may not have been said to Meghan in the regard to the origins of her clothes. To suggest otherwise is pure speculation.

That said, I repeat what I have stated previously, it is highly unlikely that HM will get involved in these matters, and will leave Meghan to figure these things out for herself.

I think the narrative that Meghan is somehow uniquely being singled out for criticism of her clothing and style that no one else has faced, ever, is a poisonous one. All you have to do is take a trip down memory lane, reread old posts, gossip columns and so on to see Sophie, Camilla, Autumn, and Kate, to name just the most recent examples, all getting lambasted for supposed protocol infractions. Meghan is unique in many ways, but that isn't one of them.

Quite right. An environment has emerged where any criticism of Meghan is seen as a racist slur, and one of the establishment (or the Press) unable to cope with a mixed race woman in the royal family. My sense is that is patently not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if it does split I'm sure the Fail will leap into action and give us all the details! I was looking at pictures of a pregnant Diana at one of her engagements the other day. She looked lovely, but really the dress was a ruffled tent! Things certainly change!

Yes, I would really rather see a fitted dress like Meghan's than a tent.

And they all get criticized for it. I think the narrative that Meghan is somehow uniquely being singled out for criticism of her clothing and style that no one else has faced, ever, is a poisonous one. All you have to do is take a trip down memory lane, reread old posts, gossip columns and so on to see Sophie, Camilla, Autumn, and Kate, to name just the most recent examples, all getting lambasted for supposed protocol infractions. Meghan is unique in many ways, but that isn't one of them.

I never said they didn't get criticized..I don't need to take a trip down memory lane because I am well aware of what all was said.

I'm talking to the people here who get caught up in this idea of protocol infractions and the word 'inappropriate' is tossed around like a flag on a football play. Inappropriate according to whom?

LaRae

The dress is definitely snug on Meghan. I like the coat and heals. I will suspect she planned this out and now it doesn't fit the same anymore. It is time to shift to maternity clothes. Her body is officially different and she can't sneak into looser normal clothes anymore. But other than that I like the dress, just too small now.

Last edited:
I think there is a clear difference in stating an opinion and make a presumption ?

None of us are privy to what actually may or may not have been said to Meghan in the regard to the origins of her clothes. To suggest otherwise is pure speculation.

That said, I repeat what I have stated previously, it is highly unlikely that HM will get involved in these matters, and will leave Meghan to figure these things out for herself.

Yes and it's my OPINION that if Meghan was somehow violating some sort of dress code the Queen, thru her own system, would let it be known.

No none of us are privy to what is said which is why it's ridiculous for you to jump up and down every time she makes an appearance and is not wearing ALL BRIT designs and start carrying on about how inappropriate it is etc etc ad nauseam.

LaRae

Inappropriate according to whom?

LaRae

My assumption is that it is an opinion, just as most posts on the fashion threads are opinion. I may not agree with all of the opinions, and it's valid to post a differing perspective, but I don't think we're going to reach a point where there's unanimous agreement, and I don't think that desirable. If someone thinks something is inappropriate that's as valid as thinking an outfit is the best thing since sliced bread. I think there's room for both views, or there should be.

Reactions: Fem
My assumption is that it is an opinion, just as most posts on the fashion threads are opinion. I may not agree with all of the opinions, and it's valid to post a differing perspective, but I don't think we're going to reach a point where there's unanimous agreement, and I don't think that desirable. If someone thinks something is inappropriate that's as valid as thinking an outfit is the best thing since sliced bread. I think there's room for both views, or there should be.

The inappropriate comment was directed at the brand, not the design of the dress. She might not like it, and that's her opinion, but whether or not something is inappropriate is a protocol issue.

Yes and it's my OPINION that if Meghan was somehow violating some sort of dress code the Queen, thru her own system, would let it be known.

No none of us are privy to what is said which is why it's ridiculous for you to jump up and down every time she makes an appearance and is not wearing ALL BRIT designs and start carrying on about how inappropriate it is etc etc ad nauseam.

LaRae

Couldn't agree more!

The more photos I see, the worse this dress gets.

Not only it's not at all flattering to Meghan's body shape (while not pregnant and skinny), but also it's about two sizes too small, definitely not designed with someone who has anything resembling breasts at mind, and it's just wrong on so many levels.

I can't believe it, honestly. Meghan has people around her. And a husband. And probably a mirror. And no one told her that she should wear something that actually... fits?

Strange combo, a winter coat and something that looks like a summer dress about to burst open, far too tight, the hair looks unwashed and pulled back, very messy look.

Perhaps she couldn't decide whichseason is- winter or spring and to be "fit" for both she choose this disaster look..... :bang:

I like this look. Yes, the dress is too tight, but I like the style a lot.

Meghan looks truly beautiful and glowing!
I agree, it is unfortunate that she is expanding faster than she is shopping. Then again, it seems that most posters here are assuming that this dress was purchased for today's engagement. It very well may have fitted when she purchased. But her hair is clean and pulled back from her face.

It is good that it was mentioned that in Canada people go for layers, we do the same here if we are office-type workers. Going from transport to indoors with lovely heated or cool spaces as required. The only thing I hate is shopping in winter because you have to carry your cold, damp coat around with you. I bless the nice person who decided that court shoes should have goloshes as well!

Posts that discussed the Duchess of Sussex's pregnancy only have been removed as off-topic. And as we are going round in circles with the above discussed topics, could we please end the argument about criticism, protocol and British vs foreign designers. Everyone is entitled to share his/her opinion, but opposite opinions have to be accepted and for today enough has been said! Thank you!

that dress is unfortunately too summery to be a good look when worn in late december. it also looks extremely small and tight.

she is otherwise beaming - pregnancy suits her.

Established American woman in her late 30s who has lived in Canada for the better part of the last decade owns a lot of Canadian and American items. Shocking.

mmm.. it is hardly as if she lacks resources to get new, more appropriate
clothes. given that her previous wardrobe was that of an actress, i don't think it would be unreasonable if she got a new wardrobe for her new royal duties that was more british-brands focused.

mmm.. it is hardly as if she lacks resources to get new, more appropriate

clothes. given that her previous wardrobe was that of an actress, i don't think it would be unreasonable if she got a new wardrobe for her new royal duties that was more british-brands focused.

If she did, she’d be criticised for being wasteful. The Mail would have a field day making a (even) longer list of clothes she’s bought and the accompanying prices and she thinks she’s too good to wear her old clothes.

I don't have an issue with the dress wrt season, but it was too tight and the back view gives her linebacker shoulders.

My thinking on the dress went from "that's horrible" to "that's not as bad as I thought. " It improves with the coat off for me.
That said I did stop and ask myself if my best friend were going to a public event and looked like Meghan did today, would I question the look? Because there are many pregnant women that wear things that I think are atrocious that they love themselves in.
And I would never second guess a friend in maternity wear. Because it is such a challenge from the get go.
But Meghan is not my best friend. And I think it looks uncomfortably tight. I think that about a lot of men's shirts, as well. There is tailored and then there is constraining.
Still , it is 2018 and people do wear far tighter maternity looks these days than they did even a decade ago. I also think she is at the stage in the 9 months where what fit with ease last week clings this week.
I'm not won over, but I think she deserves a pass on this one. It's not like the world has quit spinning...

Agree with above that it seems the current trend is for pregnancy fashions that hug the body emphasising the bump. I love the coat and find the colour of both coat and dress refreshing. That said, it being the festive season, a nice warm colour would have been my preference.
I find a previous comment about her hair being unclean both ridiculous and a very unpleasant remark.

Maybe, just maybe, this was the only thing that she could get into this morning. Even a princess can have one of those days during her pregnancy. But she got dressed and made up and groomed, and she went to fulfill her duty.
And I’ll bet those who met her loved her and thought she looked lovely.
And she may have gone home and wept, cause that can happen.

Back
Top Bottom