The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 2: September 2019 - November 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 2 of the thread for The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear!

You can find the old thread here:

** The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 - August 2019 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

The dress is 13500.00 USD. - and it's sold out.

I don't mind black dresses if they are not boring...and this one has some interesting details. I hope we get more pics of it.

LaRae

Let's hope we will get a full view of her wearing it soon !

I'm sure Meghan's dress is lovely close-up. However, as a person who loves colour, I think that if ever there was a time to burst out from TLBD it's a joyous occasion like a wedding. Oh for some yellow, or zingy blue or pink on Meghan, and yes I know she prefers monochrome.

Actually, I like this dress. Its very feminine and I bet Meghan looked simply amazing in it. However, the price tag is a whole lot too steep for me. ?

I usually love her style but I am not a huge fan. Its a bit too much for me. Maybe it looks better on her then the model, not right now not a huge fan.

I really love this dress! Valentino has been a good brand for Meghan.

Its a private event so I am not going to focus on the cost or UK vs Not.

It would be nice to see this in all its "glory" so to speak. Maybe better pics will come out.

Doubt we’ll get a full view picture as it’s a private event. Unless she wears it again to a royal event.

The dress is quite hideous, another black evening gown.

From looking at the photo with the model, it appears to me to be very sheer. Does it have pants underneath or is it a skirt?

I have been surprised by some of Megan’s choices for big evening events and this latest gown is an example of what I mean. Daytime and early evening cocktail outfits she favours, and looks great in, pared down, clear lines. However, I find these more flamboyant, decorative ( and frequently black), evening gowns less flattering and somehow less sophisticated. Obviously we haven’t seen a proper photo, but even with some adaption, I don’t like this dress, and certainly not for a wedding, albeit an evening event.

I agree with you Duke, Black is an odd colour choice for a wedding, which is supposed to be a joyous occassion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...friend-Misha-Nonoos-wedding-BLACK-outfit.html

It's not my cup of tea, I guess there are BRF events where this dress would be ok but certainly not at a wedding. Odd choice.
I made a comment on Twitter yesterday about how you never wear black to a wedding only to have both Meghan and Sofia of Sweden doing just that right in my face only minutes later. Sofia was even one of three bridesmaids all dressed in black. Although both princesses wore nice dresses the use of colour seems quite strange to me. Apparently I'm the old fart here and things are changing.
Traditionally among the upper- and middle classes of Europe weddings were seen as the only occasion where you were allowed to have a break from mourning so that even those in full mourning (dressed completely in black) refrained from wearing black while among atleast the Scandinavian lower middle- & working classes the use of a black wedding dress was both common and very practical. After the wedding it was used as the lady's one good dress for as long as it held together.

Eugenie was also in black. Quite a few women were. There was a specific theme so that’s likely why.

I didn't mind the color, but I don't like those billowing sleeves.

Read it was "La Dolce Vita" after Federico Fellini's 1960 movie

Black is not an uncommon color nowdays at weddings. It's been done over a decade at least. There are other members of the BRF at weddings wearing black. Since it was black tie and a specific theme then I think her choice totally appropriate. I do understand getting tired of black and beige from Meghan...this dress doesn't bother me too much because there's some texture and sparkle included.

The dress is lined..you can see that in the few pics we do have.

LaRae

It's impossible to tell how well the dress suits Meghan from the very limited photos we have, so I don't really have an opinion on that. Perhaps we'll get a chance to see it again at another event.

The black, from Meghan, is boring but predictable, and I would imagine the price fits right in with what everyone else is wearing, and the Sussexes can certainly afford it, so since this is a private event, that seems to me to be totally their business. The photos of the dress as worn by the model are interesting, but that's a whole lot of sleeve and frou-frou, so unless Meghan made substantial changes to the dress (very possible) this seems a bit over the top.

I agree with you Duke, Black is an odd colour choice for a wedding, which is supposed to be a joyous occassion.

Not for an evening wedding imo. I’ve worn black cocktail dresses to night weddings. Nothing unusual about it in my experience.

The dress suits the theme perfectly.

La Dolce Vita helped to popularize the idea of 'the little black dress'. People who wanted to replicate the 'Italian style' in the movie started to embrace the black dress as a classy evening look not simply for funerals.

As we see she certainly was not alone in wearing black.

Even if not for the theme, black is common at evening weddings now.

From looking at the photo with the model, it appears to me to be very sheer. Does it have pants underneath or is it a skirt?

Thats the runway version. Its pretty common for the actual dress not to be an exact replica of the runway. I highly doubt Meghan's was sheer with nothing under. Either Valentino alters it for all, or Meghan had it custom done IMO.

Thats the runway version. Its pretty common for the actual dress not to be an exact replica of the runway. I highly doubt Meghan's was sheer with nothing under.
A perfect example of just how much designers are willing to adapt their runway looks to the tastes of different clients is to look at the outfits worn by Sheikha Mozah. She basically only wears high couture that has been adapted to the rules of modest dressing that she adheres too. I'm positive that the dress Meghan wore yesterday had been altered to fit her aesthetic and to what she deems appropriate.

La Dolce Vita helped to popularize the idea of 'the little black dress'. People who wanted to replicate the 'Italian style' in the movie started to embrace the black dress as a classy evening look not simply for funerals.
I have never read that "La Dolce Vita" helped to popularize 'the little black dress'. I think that was already popularized long before by Coco Chanel and it certainly was already very popular in 1954 when Audrey Hepburn wore one by Givenchy in 'Sabrina'. And I actually don't remember a 'little black dress' in "La Dolce Vita". But the most memorable moment of that film was Anita Eckberg jumping into the Trevi Fountain in a long black evening gown, and another memorable costume was the black dress and hat which resembled a priest's soutane and hat. Besides, it's a black and white film. So, if that was the theme of the wedding, black seems appropriate to me.

Last edited:
But the most memorable moment of that film was Anita Eckberg jumping into the Trevi Fountain in a long black evening gown, and another memorable costume was the black dress and hat which resembled a priest's soutane and hat.
I wonder if anyone at the wedding wore the thigh high rubber boots that Anita said Marcello wore underneath his trousers during the long filming of the scene in Fontana di Trevi [emoji23]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom