The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
There was a specific theme so that’s likely why.
What was the theme?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Nobility

Read it was "La Dolce Vita" after Federico Fellini's 1960 movie

Old 09-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Black is not an uncommon color nowdays at weddings. It's been done over a decade at least. There are other members of the BRF at weddings wearing black. Since it was black tie and a specific theme then I think her choice totally appropriate. I do understand getting tired of black and beige from Meghan...this dress doesn't bother me too much because there's some texture and sparkle included.

The dress is lined..you can see that in the few pics we do have.

LaRae
Old 09-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

It's impossible to tell how well the dress suits Meghan from the very limited photos we have, so I don't really have an opinion on that. Perhaps we'll get a chance to see it again at another event.

The black, from Meghan, is boring but predictable, and I would imagine the price fits right in with what everyone else is wearing, and the Sussexes can certainly afford it, so since this is a private event, that seems to me to be totally their business. The photos of the dress as worn by the model are interesting, but that's a whole lot of sleeve and frou-frou, so unless Meghan made substantial changes to the dress (very possible) this seems a bit over the top.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I agree with you Duke, Black is an odd colour choice for a wedding, which is supposed to be a joyous occassion.

Not for an evening wedding imo. I’ve worn black cocktail dresses to night weddings. Nothing unusual about it in my experience.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

The dress suits the theme perfectly.

La Dolce Vita helped to popularize the idea of 'the little black dress'. People who wanted to replicate the 'Italian style' in the movie started to embrace the black dress as a classy evening look not simply for funerals.

As we see she certainly was not alone in wearing black.

Even if not for the theme, black is common at evening weddings now.

Quote:
From looking at the photo with the model, it appears to me to be very sheer. Does it have pants underneath or is it a skirt?

Thats the runway version. Its pretty common for the actual dress not to be an exact replica of the runway. I highly doubt Meghan's was sheer with nothing under. Either Valentino alters it for all, or Meghan had it custom done IMO.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Thats the runway version. Its pretty common for the actual dress not to be an exact replica of the runway. I highly doubt Meghan's was sheer with nothing under.
A perfect example of just how much designers are willing to adapt their runway looks to the tastes of different clients is to look at the outfits worn by Sheikha Mozah. She basically only wears high couture that has been adapted to the rules of modest dressing that she adheres too. I'm positive that the dress Meghan wore yesterday had been altered to fit her aesthetic and to what she deems appropriate.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
La Dolce Vita helped to popularize the idea of 'the little black dress'. People who wanted to replicate the 'Italian style' in the movie started to embrace the black dress as a classy evening look not simply for funerals.
I have never read that "La Dolce Vita" helped to popularize 'the little black dress'. I think that was already popularized long before by Coco Chanel and it certainly was already very popular in 1954 when Audrey Hepburn wore one by Givenchy in 'Sabrina'. And I actually don't remember a 'little black dress' in "La Dolce Vita". But the most memorable moment of that film was Anita Eckberg jumping into the Trevi Fountain in a long black evening gown, and another memorable costume was the black dress and hat which resembled a priest's soutane and hat. Besides, it's a black and white film. So, if that was the theme of the wedding, black seems appropriate to me.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
But the most memorable moment of that film was Anita Eckberg jumping into the Trevi Fountain in a long black evening gown, and another memorable costume was the black dress and hat which resembled a priest's soutane and hat.
I wonder if anyone at the wedding wore the thigh high rubber boots that Anita said Marcello wore underneath his trousers during the long filming of the scene in Fontana di Trevi
Old 09-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
https://twitter.com/fanofprincephil/...11737396490241
Old 09-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
I have never read that "La Dolce Vita" helped to popularize 'the little black dress'. I think that was already popularized long before by Coco Chanel and it certainly was already very popular in 1954 when Audrey Hepburn wore one by Givenchy in 'Sabrina'. And I actually don't remember a 'little black dress' in "La Dolce Vita". But the most memorable moment of that film was Anita Eckberg jumping into the Trevi Fountain in a long black evening gown, and another memorable costume was the black dress and hat which resembled a priest's soutane and hat. Besides, it's a black and white film. So, if that was the theme of the wedding, black seems appropriate to me.
Yes, the main lead actress was seen in only 3 outfits, 2 of them black dresses. One evening and one day. And even in a black and white film, that was significant change in how fashion was seen.

While designers like Channel and Givenchy started the trend, it was still a trend. It was movies like La Dolce Vita which helped in affirming that it was a trend that should and would stay popular for decades to come. Every generation since has had its own form of the little black dress. While not the only movie to help affirm the style, it has been noted by many as one of the great highlights of the trend.

It wasnt a black and white theme because of the movie not being in color.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Black or Navy?

Some of these pix look as though the dress is a dark navy blue:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/st...edding-photos/

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness

Just my opinion, but this would've been amazing in a shade of emerald, sapphire or ruby. Call me old-fashioned, and I probably am, but sheesh, black, black and more black. ZZZZZZ.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:42 PM
Majesty

I usually like what Meghan wears and appreciate the cut, style, edginess, etc. and hope the dress doesn't swamp her. Judging from the top parts we saw, it did. But in my heart of hearts, I hear a little voice saying, "a little colour . . . please".
Old 09-21-2019, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Everything she wears is designed to attract attention
Old 09-21-2019, 10:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Give it a rest. She was not by far the only guest wearing black to the wedding. Floor length evening gowns was the dress code, inspired by a black and white movie known for little black dresses.

Ivanka would have stood out more then her. Her champagne dress looks like a dress a second time bride would wear.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

That dress Ivanka wore was gorgeous from the back, a great color for her...a bit low in the front.

Someone forgot to point out where Royal ladies are supposed to dress like nuns. I mean really...she can't win. She gets called boring and blah but then it's said she always dresses to attract attention. Ridiculous.

LaRae
Old 09-23-2019, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Meghan's outfit for Misha Nonoo's wedding.

https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/...-at-misha.html

Dying to see a full view on her...but nothing yet.

LaRae
I find this dress awful. Terrible design.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Whatever the colour the price tag is huge
Old 09-23-2019, 12:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
Whatever the colour the price tag is huge
Oh come on....

A black dress at a wedding is hardly shocking.