The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 2: September 2019 - November 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never read that "La Dolce Vita" helped to popularize 'the little black dress'. I think that was already popularized long before by Coco Chanel and it certainly was already very popular in 1954 when Audrey Hepburn wore one by Givenchy in 'Sabrina'. And I actually don't remember a 'little black dress' in "La Dolce Vita". But the most memorable moment of that film was Anita Eckberg jumping into the Trevi Fountain in a long black evening gown, and another memorable costume was the black dress and hat which resembled a priest's soutane and hat. Besides, it's a black and white film. So, if that was the theme of the wedding, black seems appropriate to me.

Yes, the main lead actress was seen in only 3 outfits, 2 of them black dresses. One evening and one day. And even in a black and white film, that was significant change in how fashion was seen.

While designers like Channel and Givenchy started the trend, it was still a trend. It was movies like La Dolce Vita which helped in affirming that it was a trend that should and would stay popular for decades to come. Every generation since has had its own form of the little black dress. While not the only movie to help affirm the style, it has been noted by many as one of the great highlights of the trend.

It wasnt a black and white theme because of the movie not being in color.

Just my opinion, but this would've been amazing in a shade of emerald, sapphire or ruby. Call me old-fashioned, and I probably am, but sheesh, black, black and more black. ZZZZZZ. :eek:

:previous: I usually like what Meghan wears and appreciate the cut, style, edginess, etc. and hope the dress doesn't swamp her. Judging from the top parts we saw, it did. But in my heart of hearts, I hear a little voice saying, "a little colour . . . please".

:previous: Give it a rest. She was not by far the only guest wearing black to the wedding. Floor length evening gowns was the dress code, inspired by a black and white movie known for little black dresses.

Ivanka would have stood out more then her. Her champagne dress looks like a dress a second time bride would wear.

That dress Ivanka wore was gorgeous from the back, a great color for her...a bit low in the front.

Someone forgot to point out where Royal ladies are supposed to dress like nuns. I mean really...she can't win. She gets called boring and blah but then it's said she always dresses to attract attention. Ridiculous.

LaRae

Whatever the colour the price tag is huge

Waiting on a better picture but I find it quite awful. It’s brown, black and white, the stripes make Meghan look all shapes she’s not and it’s way too long even for a maxi dress.

I remember this dress from the previous tour and it suits her. The hair is really no good.
Someone forgot to hem the dress for the shoes she is wearing, it looks like from the one picture.

Someone forgot to hem the dress for the shoes she is wearing, it looks like from the one picture.

Yes I liked the dress from the previous wearing but agree that it shouldn't be this long for tonight's shoes.

I liked it before, but this is awful. It's too long, and it is pulling in a not very attractive way. This would have benefitted from the judicious application of some alterations.

What I am liking a lot is that Meghan is reusing clothes she has worn previously so that the focus is on what she and Harry are in South Africa to do, rather than the clothes she is wearing. That is very well done of her, and I hope it is something that she continues to do in the future.

I actually like the dress this outing more.

I would have liked to see a bit more formal perhaps but Meghan looks stunning nonetheless. Her hair especially is perfect.

Not a great choice but the recycling is a good idea for her at this time, the dress appears ill fitting too long and rather rag like IMO

Perfectly hideous.. and deeply unflattering.

I love the color and style of dress for the reception but I do not like that double horizontal banding thing that is going on. I don't think it's flattering on shorter torsos like hers.

LaRae

The dress is lovely on her. No issues with the length. It’s a maxi dress. It’s supposed to be long. She’s not tripping over the hem.

Day 2
Look 3: Horrible dress and another brown one. Two brown maxi dresses in one day is really too much for anyone. I didn’t like it the last time and still don’t like it, but at least it seemed appropriate for the beach in Australia. It looks way to casual for a reception. It’s too long and unflattering.
Great hair and love the earrings.

The other dress today was Olive, not brown.

LaRae

Not a fan of this dress on the duchess,looks like an overly large apron.

The other dress today was Olive, not brown.

LaRae

Every photo I’ve seen of it it looks shiny brownish. Olive is much more green than that dress is, like Meghan’s Polo dress for example.
Actually, both dresses are some weird colour that’s neither true olive or brown, but they read brownish on my monitors, so I’m going with that.

Last edited:
The dress is awful. It doesn't fit the occasion nor the person wearing it.

Horrible. And calling it an "eveningwear" is a step too far in my opinion.

I like the style of the dress but the fitting could be better. I assume the reception is not really a formal event.

Bit of a disappointing choice from Meghan this evening. I was hoping for an elegant gown, but I agree that we got drab curtain fabric instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom