Princess Mabel's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2006 - September 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've figured out Mabel's problem.

There's a well-known quote by Coco Chanel- "before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off."

That's Mabel's problem- she has these lovely outfits and then makes one bad decision and messes them up. For example, at Victoria's wedding she had a nice princessy dress but made a decision to tear off part of the skirt and wear pants, or the inauguration ceremony where she had a simple black dress and then tied that pillowcase around her arm.

Of course there is an exception to every rule- she looked fantastic in the pink and white during the water pageant! Classic yet still fashion-forward and interesting enough to be Mabel.

The flotilla outfit is the only one that hit the bar for me. First, with the red outfit Mabel presented a very bad copy of Maxima's dress, with an awful top design / wearing no bra / looking cheap & saggy.

Apart from the deeper meaning from the black & white dress, its one of the ugliest I've ever seen, and Mabel has worn a lot of ugly things (the trouser-dress comes to my mind), but this one is easily up there. At first I thought she broke her arm and had it in a cast.

She seems a little better than she was. It shows that she is a bit interested again by clothes. A very nice thing IMO, in front of the tragedy she is living everyday, that she could enjoy herself a little again. Horrible situation.

Apart from the deeper meaning from the black & white dress, its one of the ugliest I've ever seen, and Mabel has worn a lot of ugly things (the trouser-dress comes to my mind), but this one is easily up there. At first I thought she broke her arm and had it in a cast.

And I first thought she took the sleeve off her wedding gown and incorporated it into the gown! Then I googled her wedding gown and saw that she had small bows on her sleeve, but large ones on her train. If this was a homage to Friso, perhaps she took a large bow off her train and put it on the sleeve.

But then again, perhaps she just wanted to wear her trademark bow on her gown.

Last edited:
There is a debate going in the comments here about the sleeve and it seems most people agree that this bow is not from her wedding dress.
Dutch Enthronement: The Dutch Royal Family | Royal Hats

I don't know enough about these things to know for certain. Mabel has worn many, many, many things with bows on them. Maybe she likes bows? Maybe Viktor and Rolf created this dress so it would remind us of her wedding dress and keep Prince Friso close in our memory too?

IMO, the bow is not from her wedding dress. Her wedding dress was covered with tinier bows.... Not a fashion expert.... could be wrong!

She had a lot of large bows on her train, RR, but small ones on her sleeves.

Last edited:
Don't remember..... Can you post a pic of the dress please?

I'm here to talk about the black dress; first I am very happy to see she came to this event. But I don't understand why she had to wear black? I think a dark color that wasnt black would have been more suitable without forgetting what she is going through. It couldn't have been blue because Maxima wore blue; perhaps a deep dark purple, gray or green. On top of that the bow on her arm doesn't even look like it belongs there; not because its a bow but how it's shaped. The bottom of it just looks like lose fabric. If she did have to wear that dress perhaps she could have had a small bow on her lower him in silver perhaps.

October 5, 2013 - Princess Mabel attending a wedding wearing a black lace dress matched with a black 4 pocket jacket. She finished the look off with a black hat that had a white flower on the side.

Close up ** Full view

It's nice to see Mabel again. I like her outfit and I think she looks quite elegant and sophisticated in it. Her hair also looks nice.

Does Mabel only wear black now?
If she does, it's sad.

I know it's absolutely devastating to lose a spouse and she is probably mourning. But she's such a lovely lady and I hate to see her like this.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes. At most events since the death of her spouse, Princess Mabel has worn black, with exception of the festivities around the Investiture of the new King. Even on winter sport she wore a black outfit. Maybe she observes mourning. There was a deep soul-match between the late Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and maybe she still has not finalized it.

Princess Mabel during the King's Water Pageant: http://metronieuws.tcdn.nl/styles/m...b566c82112c068aa-1414022978.jpg?itok=HnP47wKj

Princess Mabel arrives for the Queen's Farewell Banquet: http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Princess+Mabel+Queen+Beatrix+Hosts+Dinner+53XPsmPJhyTx.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. At most events since the death of her spouse, Princess Mabel has worn black, with exception of the festivities around the Investiture of the new King. Even on winter sport she wore a black outfit. Maybe she observes mourning. There was a deep soul-match between the late Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and maybe she still has not finalized it.

Princess Mabel during the King's Water Pageant: http://metronieuws.tcdn.nl/styles/m...b566c82112c068aa-1414022978.jpg?itok=HnP47wKj

Princess Mabel arrives for the Queen's Farewell Banquet: http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Princess+Mabel+Queen+Beatrix+Hosts+Dinner+53XPsmPJhyTx.jpg

At these two events Prince Friso was still alive.

At these two events Prince Friso was still alive.

Oh yes, of course, you are right. It was after the terrible accident but the Prince indeed was still alive. Then we can conclude Princess Mabel has only worn black since the Prince's death.

:sad:

For some reason I like it that royals stick to traditions. When Prince Claus died in 2002, his widow -Queen Beatrix- observed mourning as well. Princess Mabel is doing the same. I agree: it takes a long time indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty, but - and I don't mean to be disrespectful here, is it not like the modern Queen Victoria?

Pretty, but - and I don't mean to be disrespectful here, is it not like the modern Queen Victoria?

Afaik P.Mabel already wore quite a lot of black in her everyday life before the tragedy, and she does occasionally use some colored accents so it's not complete mourning dress like Q.Victoria.
She doesn't do the big fashion-statements anymore, but maybe that's also because she doesn't really do big royal events at the moment..

I believe Princess Mabel also no longer attends the shows of her friends Viktor & Rolf.

Since the funeral Princess Mabel has only worn the black dress with one white sleeve for the Memorial Service. Since then she has primarily worn black.

Before the tragedy she wore more colour. In green at the wedding of Princess Carolina. In blue at Princess Máxima's 40th birthday. In bright red at Queen's Day. In green and red at the wedding of the Duke of Parma. In white during private pastime in Stockholm. In grey overall during Queen's Day. In black-and-white, arriving at Het Loo Palace. Etc.

I believe Princess Mabel also no longer attends the shows of her friends Viktor & Rolf.

Since the funeral Princess Mabel has only worn the black dress with one white sleeve for the Memorial Service. Since then she has primarily worn black.

Before the tragedy she wore more colour. In green at the wedding of Princess Carolina. In blue at Princess Máxima's 40th birthday. In bright red at Queen's Day. In green and red at the wedding of the Duke of Parma. In white during private pastime in Stockholm. In grey overall during Queen's Day. In black-and-white, arriving at Het Loo Palace. Etc.

I think she needs time before she is ready to wear colour again. I am sure it will happen, just a question of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom