Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think,(in regards to the post by shaan) that i could sit down and have a good old chat with Camilla.I don't think she is the sort of woman to judge you or look down on you-she would treat you simply as a normal person.That's why i think she is a remarkable woman and it seems she has the nack of making people feel at ease when she is with them.:D

I think Camilla has done very well in her first year as a Royal. I believe it was not something she craved, as being in the limelight is not what she likes. But there is no doubt that she and Charles are in love, and probably have been since they were young.

It was unfortunate that at the time Charles was looking for a bride there were still very strict criteria over who could be his wife. Thus he was nudged in the direction of a 'suitable' girl, whom he tried to be in love with.

I think we need to realise that if anyone is going to live in the total stress of the public eye they are going to have to marry someone they really love. Never mind the perceived 'suitability'. King Harald of Norway held out to marry Sonja. King Carl Gustav of Sweden waited for Silvia. Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg insisted on Maria Theresa. All these marriages have stood the test of time, and all 3 women have been very successful at their 'job'.

Unfortunately Prince Charles is a very concientious man, and didn't want to rock the boat and perhaps set up a situation such as was caused by Edward XIII in 1936. It was his duty to marry a 'suitable' person - so he did. Unfotunately it cause enormous unhappiness to the 2 of them, and possibly caused more upset to the nation than if he had been a bit more stubborn.

I think people who are surprised at how well Camilla deals with people forget that she used to be the wife of a senior Army officer. In such a position she would have to do, in a small way and out of the public eye, much of the meeting, greeting and being interested in people, as well as backing up her husband.

There is no doubt that she has made a huge difference in Charles - even if she never did a single official duty on her own that would be quite enough service to the country. However, I am sure that she will start to take on more and more on her own - because the demand will be there.

Personally, I am delighted for Charles and Camilla. People have a much free-er lifestyle nowadays. I think it is hypcritical to accept divorces everywhere in society, but to moralize over what the Royals do and expect them not to reflect the accepted norms.

I just hope the Queen lives and reigns for quite some years - so that when Charles succeeds to the throne everyone will think it quite natural for Camilla to be Queen. The wife of a King in Britain has always been Queen, and there is no need to demote her - however modest she is.

Henri M,
I know that I'm a little late but thanks for posting the picture of Camilla. I love the hat and she looks so beautiful in that picture!

Posts rehashing the rehashing of the CC&D triangle have been removed.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Alison20 said:
I just hope the Queen lives and reigns for quite some years - so that when Charles succeeds to the throne everyone will think it quite natural for Camilla to be Queen. The wife of a King in Britain has always been Queen, and there is no need to demote her - however modest she is.

I just wanted to say that I absolutely agree. I think that the wife of the King, no matter what the public opinion, should be Queen without question or pause.

zanychick3000 said:
. Has anyone also thought maybe Charles does not want a wife who outshines him? Maybe he prefers to do the joint engagements with her, so that way the focus is just not on Camilla, but on the both of them.

Maybe that is what suits HRH Prince Charles and that is why he is so happy now. Not for him the style of Prince Rainier and President Kennedy who basked in their wives' popularity (remember President Kennedy's 'I am the man who accompanied Jackie Kennedy to Paris'). I am glad he has found his soul mate in the Duchess of Cornwall and hence will carry out his royal duties with an extra spring in his steps.

Last edited:
Has my opinion of the Duchess changed since the wedding? Yes, I think it has and I must admit that I didn't think it would.

Years of bad publicity aside, I think that Camilla is doing a good job. She obviously mingles well with people and acts accordingly to her role and status as Duchess and wife to the heir to the throne.

Her dress sense is really very flattering for a lady of her maturing age and the broad hats Camilla chooses to wear even out her hair. Sorry, I had to say it :lol:

Her obvious down to earth nature has really been given an opportunity to shine through and whilst none of us shall ever forget the past (not placing blame here on any one person), it is comforting to know that we can all look to the future and move forward in a progression that is both understanding and supportive. Not everyone will feel this way and there's nothing wrong with that. We all have our reasons.

And on the question of Camilla's title after Charles becomes King, I would really like to see her (as is intended) styled and titled HRH the Princess Consort.

I like this because of its inimitability and I find it very appropriate. I think it would suit her.

Last edited:
I don't know about her title as princess consort - isn't that going to be another problem and some special legislation is needed or something like that.Anyway if she makes charles happy and does her work etc that is the most important thing of being a consort!

I don't think that Prince Charles would mind Camilla getting attention. The problem during the latter days of his marriage to Diana is that there was no love there - in fact there were two 'camps'. So you could say that good publicity for her was 'one in the eye' for him.

Since Camilla is so supportive of Charles, he would be happy for her to get praise and attention. I just don't think it is her style to want that.

HRH Elizabeth said:
I just wanted to say that I absolutely agree. I think that the wife of the King, no matter what the public opinion, should be Queen without question or pause.
amen to that. i consider myself a diana fan but it doesn't stop me from loving the duchess also. i became a fan of hers during the US tour she was so giving and open to people, then when they were leaving (she had recieved all kinds of elaborate bouquets throughout the day) she got on the plane with some long stem roses that some men at a homeless shelter had given her. thats it just a couple of simple roses touched me and showed me what a down to earth and caring person she is. the love they share is plain to see and the delight in charles eyes when he is looking at her is beautiful. She's doing a wonderful job which imo is supporting and loving the prince.

Ditto to bbb's comment.

I still love Diana and always will, but I think Camilla has been doing a good job. It's pretty obvious that her personality is more suited to the PoW's. I have enjoyed the recent photos of her, especially when she was sampling all the edibles! She must be a pretty good sport.

I have been admiring Camilla for years and I keep on doing so
I think she does very well in her new job

To be honest I didn't really know much about her until she married Charles. Since then I have followed her and come to like her a lot! She is the one for Charles and they make a great team, just as all soulmates do. I think that if she is just given the chance, she will prove to be a good Queen (Consort, whatever), just as Charles will be a good King.

All I knew of her before she married Charles was that she was his mistress and that he was with her before the wedding to Diana.....and then after it. So I wasn't that fond of her, but when I read that they were getting married, I didn't put much thought into it because they were both single and could do whatever they wanted.

I think that after nine years after Diana's death, I think that they should move on and I think that now they can really show what they feel for each other and I think thats its time for them to bring the monarchy back to a high esteem not only in the United Kingdom but throughout the Commonwealth. I personnally was a huge fan of Diana, but I think that instead of looking back we should move on, whilst never forgetting the beautiful life of Diana. I am happy for them as they show that they are really in love together.

Has my opinion changed after the wedding? actually nothing has changed because i'm really not a big fan of Charles and Camilla. :rolleyes:

My opinion hasn't changed since they got married. I think it's still disgraceful that he was allowed to marry his mistress (to use a polite word) and that she is allowed to be his Queen Consort should he become King. What I have read of them comes from British press (a bit bias?) and American tabloids (the truth?). I don't think it matters how much of a makeover some one does or how many jewels she is seen wearing, she's still his mistress.

Last edited by a moderator:
RubyPrincess168 said:
I don't think it matters how much of a makeover some one does or how many jewels she is seen wearing, she's still his mistress.

When a man marries a woman she can be in no way his mistress. Maybe you dislike Camilla or you have your reasons for not liking this marriage, but that is no excuse for calling her something she isn't.

I always have respect for everybody how loves the late Diana. And if i would criticize the Princess or her fans, i would do it with tolerence and respect too.
But sadly, some people do not behave in the same way with Camilla or people how love her.
It seams to me, that tabloid gossip and rubbish talk from some people, who want to make money or stay in the public, are still successful.

Camilla is Charles's wife, not his mistress. She is our future Queen. Could you respect that? Because when you're damning Camilla to hell, you're insulting the people of Britain and the Monarchy, something I'm sure you don't intend to do. You're also implying that the Queen doesn't know what she's doing by letting the pair marry and I'm sure you wouldn't imply that seeing as Her Majesty is probably the wisest woman in this country.

RubyPrincess168 said:
What I have read of them comes from British press (a bit bias?) and American tabloids (the truth?).

The press print stories it thinks will make people buy their papers, I don't believe any of them are able to tell the truth, whether they are British, American or the upper reaches of the moon. Be that as it may, to base your dislikes solely on what you have read, without even thinking their might be two, three or four sides to the story, is IMO, a little shortsighted.

Camilla is Charles' wife, they make each other happy it would seem and who would want anyone to live a miserable life.

RubyPrincess168 said:
My opinion hasn't changed since they got married. I think it's still disgraceful that he was allowed to marry his mistress (to use a polite word) and that she is allowed to be his Queen Consort should he become King. What I have read of them comes from British press (a bit bias?) and American tabloids (the truth?). I don't think it matters how much of a makeover some one does or how many jewels she is seen wearing, she's still his mistress.

Pretty strong words here. I agree with the others, since they're married now, Camilla can hardly be called Charles' mistress.

Mind you, I used to have a dim view of affair-makers marrying each other but after seeing a lot of second marriages that were a lot better than the first I came to the realization that the people in question had the affair because they were better suited for each other than they were for the people they married in the first place.

Does it make it right? Not exactly, it would have been better if they had gotten divorces sooner, but ending even a bad marriage is not as easy as it looks from the outside.

RubyPrincess168 said:
I think it's still disgraceful that he was allowed to marry his mistress

Allowed? He is a grown man and saying that he should or shouldn't be allowed to marry is really funny.

Mistress (maîtresse)

A mistress (a maîtresse) is a woman who has a continuing, extramarital (sexual) relationship with one married man, in an exclusive and continuing liaison.

The Prince of Wales was an unmarried man since the mid-1990's so Camilla was almost for a decade no longer a mistress avant-la-lettre.

By the way: 'an exclusive and continuing liaison' with one extramarital partner seems much more preferrable to me than the endless promiscue row of 'lovers' the late Diana, Princess of Wales had, but that is a purely personal opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I may hold a different opinion to yours RubyPrincess168, but I respect it :flowers:

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
A mistress (a maîtresse) is a woman who has a continuing, extramarital (sexual) relationship with one married man, in an exclusive and continuing liaison.

The Prince of Wales was an unmarried man since the mid-1990's so Camilla was almost for a decade no longer a mistress avant-la-lettre.

By the way: 'an exclusive and continuing liaison' with one extramarital partner seems much more preferrable to me than the endless promiscue row of 'lovers' the late Diana, Princess of Wales had, but that is a purely personal opinion, of course.

I don't see why Diana should be brought up here? We were talking about Camilla.

My opinion has not really changed I tolerate Camilla. But I do love Charles.

Queen Katherine said:
Camilla is the Duchess of Prudence.

Okay, I'll bite! What do you mean exactly? She's discrete, frugal or she's only looking after her own interests? :unsure:

I don't really give Camilla much thought so I guess my opinion hasn't changed about her. I do think they are well suited to each other and will always be content and happy together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom