Diana and Sarah's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it was a month before the divorce so there was alot of tension.
Do you know which event these pictures were taken TheTruth?

Well it was a month before the divorce so there was alot of tension.
Do you know which event these pictures were taken TheTruth?

They were taken in July 11, 1996 at the Royal Tournament, at Earl's Court. It wasn't after the divorce but the Panorama Interview had been aired and it was like she was a stranger now.

They were taken in July 11, 1996 at the Royal Tournament, at Earl's Court. It wasn't after the divorce but the Panorama Interview had been aired and it was like she was a stranger now.

Just curious.... is Lady Fermoy the lady in the cream suit, behind diana?

Just curious.... is Lady Fermoy the lady in the cream suit, behind diana?

Yup, that's her. Although she never stood on Diana's side, having privileges is more important than your own grand daughter, everybody knows that :rolleyes:.

Sarah was Diana's friend and I think she really felt sad when she died, honestly.

No doubt.... they had great times together. Diana dying in such a way must have brought home for Sarah how trite their past rifts were and how much time they wasted holding grudges over misunderstandings.

No doubt.... they had great times together. Diana dying in such a way must have brought home for Sarah how trite their past rifts were and how much time they wasted holding grudges over misunderstandings.

Yeah ... At least we can still wonder about the good times they had together. I trully think they would have come to be friends again. With the wisdom you get when you aged, they would have forgotten about those stupid rows, like Charles and Diana did at the end of her life.

They had a row, I think in 1995, which made Diana angry enough to skip out on Eugenie's fifth birthday. Do you know what it was about?

If it's true that the shoe business was the reason for such a serious rift, then it seems a very trivial matter.
There's nothing embarrassing about verruccas: like athlete's foot, they're very contagious and easy to pick up, especially if you frequent gyms and swimming pools as Diana did. I'd think most people have had similar troubles at some point. This is of course why it's not a good idea to borrow someone else's shoes - so you could say Sarah was taking the micky out of herself, as it shows her to have done something unwise.
But I haven't read the book, so I don't know how the anecdote was presented.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the shoe fungus thing. :lol: I have to be on Diana's side about that "rift", however! Sarah borrowed Diana's shoes, then blamed Diana for acquiring a foot itchy thing, and then she wrote about it in a book! Sarah did wrong! Borrowing a lady's shoes and then going around town spreading stories about her foot issues, this is just wrong! :ROFLMAO:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the shoe fungus thing. :lol: I have to be on Diana's side about that "rift", however! Sarah borrowed Diana's shoes, then blamed Diana for acquiring a foot itchy thing, and then she wrote about it in a book! Sarah did wrong! Borrowing a lady's shoes and then going around town spreading stories about her foot issues, this is just wrong! :ROFLMAO:

I think it was more than that. I think that Diana felt Sarah was a big self-promoter. I feel that Diana regretted the Morton book, and was extremely annoyed with the Budgie books and all the other things Sarah was dabbling in.

Also, Burrell's book noted that Sarah sent her written appeals in mail that appeared to have been from Beatrice or Eugene, and that really ticked her off.

Again, these are just my personal opinions based on what I have read.

Having seen Sarah in person (she is gorgeous..much more so than in any photo of her ...and there is a delicate softness of her ) in her body language and facial expressions there is an unrefined need for instant approval of everything she says and does. Unless Fergie was immediately validated and oohed and ahhed over the product she was selling that day, she almost became angry at us strangers....I could assume Diana would have gotten really tired quickly of her unless they were co-conspiring or comparing notes in some sort of "us againtst them" game.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, if it's true that she stopped her sons from having any contact with their York cousins, then that was very selfish and hardly the act of a good parent. The children were not to blame.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, if it's true that she stopped her sons from having any contact with their York cousins, then that was very selfish and hardly the act of a good parent. The children were not to blame.

Where is your source for that statement?

Source for what? She's saying that if a particular report is true, she thinks the action was wrong. I can't remember where it was reported, but haven't you heard the reports that Diana tried to keep her sons away from the York children at one point? It may be yet another tabloid fabrication, but it isn't imagination on the part of the poster.

Sarah mentioned in an interview on CNN's Larry King Live around the time Prince Harry's unfortunate "costume malfunction" she herself really missed seeing William and Harry. She lamented she would really like to re-establish a relationship with them and looked directly in the camera as she said this.

Around the time Diana died, the boys would have seen their cousins Bea and Eugenie at Balmoral and possible other royal family venues...but the boys were at their respective boarding schools and Beatrice and Eugenie were little.

Sarah may have royal daughters but she is most definitively on the outside of the Royal Family....The decisions by William and Harry to exclude her from Diana's memorial service last week put the final nail in Fergie's royal status, imo.

She wasn't excluded; she was invited but turned down the invitation because she said she didn't feel welcome at royal events.

I completely agree, that is a very selfish thing to do and NOT good parenting.
I think Sarah was a much more loyal friend to Diana than Diana was to Sarah.
From what I have read about Diana, she would drop her friends and stop speaking to them often, sometimes for no reason.

I wouldn't have anyone like that in my life, period.

Source for what? She's saying that if a particular report is true, she thinks the action was wrong. I can't remember where it was reported, but haven't you heard the reports that Diana tried to keep her sons away from the York children at one point? It may be yet another tabloid fabrication, but it isn't imagination on the part of the poster.

No, I haven't heard this rumour but if its true Diana was wrong for keeping her children from the york children.

I had read or heard, I'm not sure where, that when Diana died, they had just started talking to each other again and that they were taking things slow in repairing their friendship.
I guess they both had a lot of mistrust of each other.

Sarah mentioned in an interview on CNN's Larry King Live around the time Prince Harry's unfortunate "costume malfunction" she herself really missed seeing William and Harry. She lamented she would really like to re-establish a relationship with them and looked directly in the camera as she said this.

Around the time Diana died, the boys would have seen their cousins Bea and Eugenie at Balmoral and possible other royal family venues...but the boys were at their respective boarding schools and Beatrice and Eugenie were little.

Sarah may have royal daughters but she is most definitively on the outside of the Royal Family....The decisions by William and Harry to exclude her from Diana's memorial service last week put the final nail in Fergie's royal status, imo.

Certainly, she is an outsider and no longer a member of the family, but these are not reasons to assume she doesn't maintain relationships with some members of what is a very large extended unit! :) She spends part of Christmas holidays at Wood Farm, Sandringham, right? PW and PH invited her to the memorial service, but she rejected it on account of feeling it would be inappropriate for an ex-HRH to attend a royal event. Yet she does go to many non-royal but high profile events where royals are present. She goes to parties at clubs in London where she will inevitably encounter the Linleys, the Chattos, Lady Gabriella, Lord Frederick, etc. because they are always out and about the London social scene.
That is likely to be enough for Sarah. I think she prefers life on the perimeters or outside the royal family. Being in the family was probably too restrictive for her preferred lifestyle.

She wasn't excluded; she was invited but turned down the invitation because she said she didn't feel welcome at royal events.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sarah....but.....

She could have quietly accepted the invitation and sat a 10 rows back from Prince Philip and we would just have wanted to see a photo of how short her skirt was and how high were her heels in comparison to Camilla Al-Fayed's, noted her ups and downs in her realtionship with Diana and then forgot her as quickly as we saw the next person behind her.

But somehow Sarah made her nice gesture of an invitation from William and Harry to somehow be that same old small "pity party" we hear every time a royal event happens. "Oh, woe is me" and "They really don't want me there" and "I am not going without Andrew, my bestest friend whom I eternally cling too" and btw, "Has Larry King called to interview me on my next new products...candles and scented bath salts"....etc.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Sarah should have accepted the invitation to show her support for the boys and to honour Diana's memory. Whether the royal family makes her feel welcome or not is hardly the point here.

I am not fond of Sarah spilling her family troubles in the open in much the same way that I was not fond of Diana spilling out her family troubles in the open. Its harder to solve the problems that way if the other people in the family know you've talked about them to the press.

However, I really cannot blame Sarah for turning down the memorial and giving her honest reasons why. She didn't beat a dead horse, she was just asked why she didn't go and she concisely gave her answer.

There is a difference between treating the press like a public confessor and blurting out all your private problems on air and answering a straightforward question with an equally straightforward answer. Why didn't you go? Well because I haven't been treated as part of the family for quite some time now. One can say that is vindictive, unnecessary childish petty spoiled but one cannot say that Sarah did not speak the truth.

I would not go to an event where the people who invited me would make me feel less than welcome for whatever reasons there were and I would not have a problem with telling that to somebody if they asked. The problem I have with Sarah and Diana is that they spill too much private stuff in front of the cameras but this is not one of those cases.

What both Diana and Sarah are both guilty of is betraying the loyalty of The Queen in their public and private actions.

Diana was right to distance herself many times from Fergie in their relationship. For example, it would have appeared very unwise for Diana to have been Fergie's friend and support during the time Major Ron was embroiled in his own lurid sex scandal.

As a Texan, I often cringe about the relationship of Fergie and of Steve Wyatt..certainly now that Steve's elderly stepfather, Oscar, has been recently found guilty of nefarious dealings... Despite the glittery life of Oscar's lovely wife, Lynn, a friend of the likes of Princess Grace of Monaco, several newspaper articles had the blurb about Steve and Sarah...even after all these years...

What both Diana and Sarah are both guilty of is betraying the loyalty of The Queen in their public and private actions.

Well Sarah is no longer royal so loyalty to the Queen is not one of her requirements although it was when she was married to Andrew.

However I agree with you that Steve Wyatt was not one of Sarah's best decisions. His family sounds positively dreadful no matter whether Sarah was royal at the time or not.

Sad to say, but is no one is ever really forgiven when they betray Her Majesty The Queen. Whether royal or not....or even "once royal"...

I would have loved to have been a fly on a beautifully gilded wall when The Queen Mum discussed Sarah, Duchess of York with her daughter Her Majesty The Queen...I am sure the name "Wallis" was evoked a time or two over gin and tonics... I would dare say Her Majesty still cares deeply for Sarah and her plight but would blame her ousting to Social Siberia quickly on the DOE or those corgies.....

Sarah has not really cut her ties to the Wyatts. Sarah is often pictured in the Houston newspapers on the same page of the society section whenever both Steve and Cate Wyatt attend an event at the Houston Opera in the presence of the Duchess of York, hmmmm.

Last edited:
Sad to say, but is no one is ever really forgiven when they betray Her Majesty The Queen. Whether royal or not....or even "once royal"...

I think on one level Her Majesty hasn't forgiven, or rather if she has forgiven, I don't think she has forgotten because she's still having to clean up the reputaion of the monarchy after the mess of her daughter in laws.

But whether the Queen has forgiven Fergie and indeed whether she should forgive Fergie really shouldn't determine whether Fergie should attend the Diana memorial or whether she should disguise the reasons if she decides not to go. So if Queen has not forgiven Sarah, at this point, what is it to Sarah and why should the Queen's lack of forgiveness prevent Sarah from honestly answering a question as to why she isn't attending? .

I agree that both, Sarah and Diana, were totally unwise to speak to the press. It's a terrible error because once you've done it, people have got all the rights to blame you afterwards. But I must say Sarah didn't do a good choice by dating Wyatt. I admit Diana also made 'mistakes' like that but it has always been very secret (the press took five years to discover the affair with Hewitt...) and almost every time the love affair was already over. We can't blame them for having affairs but a minimum of respect toward your ex-husband is a normal thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom