The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s quite fascinating how this has all played out. Instead of BP formally announcing the titles, the announcement was left up to the Sussexes (and People Magazine). The Palace has been so silent, the Sussexes actually had to release a second statement reaffirming that it was their children’s birthright. It’s so odd. I wonder if it’s because the Sussexes are no longer working royals, so the Palace doesn't feel they have to announce anything pertaining to them?

Just watched the video. The Sussexes have made it quite clear that they fear and despise the paparazzi, so it’s interesting to see Meghan smiling and happily interacting with them.

Tyler Perry NEVER made the exclusion of the BRF a condition for being Lili's godfather. He said he didn't want to fly to Britain and "be a part of all that" which I took to mean a Royal christening in the COE with all the bells and whistles.

Here's his full quote, after saying he was honored to be asked to be Lili's godfather:
"I got off the phone and took it all in and then I called them back and said, 'Hold on a second, does that mean we have to go over there and do all of that in the church with them and figure all of that out? Because I don't want to do that.'"
(Emphasis added by me.) I agree that he didn't make the exclusion of the BRF a "condition" of his acceptance of the offer, but he clearly expressed his preference to avoid going to England for a typical royal christening with the family.

And who could blame Meghan and Harry for abiding by his wish when they finally got around to baptizing Lili? You never know when you might need the use of a mansion or private plane, so it's definitely smart to keep Godfather Tyler happy. He even brought a 10-person gospel choir from Atlanta with him to the baptism!

he thinks that baptisms in church are some kind of oddity?

" With them", says it all really, their friends obviously despise the royals too.

so how does he manage to be freinds with Harry? Would he be offering him a free house if H were not a Prince?

Oh, look. It’s Backgrid Photo Agency. What a coincidence.??

This is exactly what Meghan has wanted all along -- expensive clothes, fancy shoes and handbags, lunching w/friends, a rich husband -- and none of the boring obligations and restrictions that come along with being a working royal.

Oh, look. It’s Backgrid Photo Agency. What a coincidence.??

:lol: Thank you for sharing Biset. I'm not surprised that they just happened to be there as she exited the restaurant. :whistling:

Fancy there just happening to be a load of photographers waiting.

Just watched the video. The Sussexes have made it quite clear that they fear and despise the paparazzi, so it’s interesting to see Meghan smiling and happily interacting with them.
My take is that Harry despises the paparazzi and Meghan loves the paparazzi - to my eyes she is not merely tolerating them or being polite, she is lit up from within.

Harry's hate goes back to Diana, Diana was chased, heckled and her personal space invaded, sometimes by a handful of paps, other times by throngs. Meghan's experience is vastly different, she is not dealing with throngs and she is not being heckled and she is loving it. To be sure Meghan despises the tabloids who write negative articles about her and social media trolls. There may be other incidents, but one time it sticks out where Meghan seemed to have a problem with the paparazzi was in the Netflix documentary where she and Harry seemed to be agitated by being followed by a lone pap on a scooter. My take was that she was feeding off and/or pandering to Harry, with a side of performing for the Netflix cameras.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 -

Here's his full quote, after saying he was honored to be asked to be Lili's godfather:

(Emphasis added by me.) I agree that he didn't make the exclusion of the BRF a "condition" of his acceptance of the offer, but he clearly expressed his preference to avoid going to England for a typical royal christening with the family.

And who could blame Meghan and Harry for abiding by his wish when they finally got around to baptizing Lili? You never know when you might need the use of a mansion or private plane, so it's definitely smart to keep Godfather Tyler happy. He even brought a 10-person gospel choir from Atlanta with him to the baptism!

Thank you for posting the quote in full.

While he didn’t make it a condition of being a godparent- it is quite clear he didn’t want to go to the UK or be “with them.” Them, of course, being the family of the baby. He doesn’t sound big on churches either.

And I guess accommodating him was a priority- seeing as that is exactly what happened. Possibly Harry and Meghan never wanted to go to the UK for the christening of their “princess” or wanted Harry’s family there anyway, but it’s notable just the same to me that Tyler Perry got what he clearly wanted.

I do think that there’s a correlation between the timing of this christening (clearly not a priority) and announcing Lili is a “Princess.” I think I see what’s really important to the Sussexes- and it doesn’t seem to be the christening.

Last edited:
This is exactly what Meghan has wanted all along -- expensive clothes, fancy shoes and handbags, lunching w/friends, a rich husband -- and none of the boring obligations and restrictions that come along with being a working royal.

I guess it beats opening a shoe factory on an industrial estate on a wet Wednesday in Wolverhampton.

I guess it beats opening a shoe factory on an industrial estate on a wet Wednesday in Wolverhampton.

I mean not like they don’t rock gowns and tiara too. Or expensive coats, boots, and such out on these “boring “ engagements. Royals hardly slumming it out there. Lol

I mean not like they don’t rock gowns and tiara too. Or expensive coats, boots, and such out on these “boring “ engagements. Royals hardly slumming it out there. Lol

Yes but they’re out there representing the crown aren’t they?

Not gurning at the press trying to raise their profile in order to make money off their status.

I for one am very disappointed at how this has played out. Game, Set, Match to The Sussex's. Pretty amazing coup for a Couple that railed against a "Hierarchical System" they said. But they want their children to get the perks. Why ?

Got to hand it to them, after 3 years of having accused the Royal Family of being racists, and unfeeling liars ( Charles) and violent bullies (William) they won their most desired prize. The Titles. For American based and raised Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet. The first "Prince Archie" in history.

They brazenly lobbied against an "Institution", The Monarchy, that they felt greatly did them wrong, and sidelined them.

That sorely needed The Sussex's progressive new overhaul and outlook. When that got denied, they then let no opportunity pass to slam The Firm as "out of touch" . And question the fitness of those in charge, apart from The Queen, but even She was insulted as having inadvertently passed on "generational pain".

Even insulted The British Public too. An ingrained Colonialism mindset and unconscious bias narratives were alleged that they harbored.

Non stop interviews, Books, Podcasts and a Docu-series not withstanding, The Sussex's threw out accusation after accusation and never stopped airing their perceived grievances. I think their campaign against The Firm did resonate too. How much ? We shall see.

They didn't and don't care how much they demean and diminish the work and reputation of The Royal Family. Why would they ? They are laughing ALL the way to The Bank with multi million dollar deals. They kept their Royal Titles ( for publicity and to monetize) and have now secured Royal Titles for their Children. They have lost nothing and are setting up their children in this Montecito " rival court" in America.

Down the line, People Magazine will have glossy pictures and gushing Stories of Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet. I also forsee The California Royals doing Family Events too. Charities and other initiatives, just wait. Just like their counterparts in the UK.

Charles could have easily punted and said the situation was "in review" due to his long-standing aims of downsizing, AND as The Sussex Family was, as he previously said, building a life overseas. Who could find fault with that ? Why didn't he ?

But he didn't. He capitulated and gave Harry and Meghan exactly what they wanted to set up their children as rivals to The Wales children down the line.
Does The British Monarchy REALLY want potentially rogue Royals using Titles down the line in America ? What if they get into trouble ? Doesn't Charles see how it diminishes The British Royal Family's prestige ? Did ANYONE think ahead on this ?

I think it was a big mistake that will come back to haunt them. And it won't stop the hypocrite Sussex's one bit from speaking out on anything or anybody they want.

This action has only emboldened them.

Absolutely spot on. An unwise error by The King that will have consequences into the future.

If I were the PofW I would be sorely tempted to move permanently somewhere warm & flog stories about his dolt of a brother. What's sauce for the goose & all that. Why bother with honouring your heritage when you can cash in & tell lies to the world for millions.

I used to think The Sussex's would gradually fade into irrelevance, but now I'm not so sure.

They certainly played this situation well and "won". Royal Titles " awarded" to their children six months down the line after The Queens death when the only People clamouring for them were the rogue, backstabbing Sussex's.

Tungsten, tough, resilient and unyielding....... Charles nickname for Meghan .....is certainly apt. For a couple that neither work for The Family-Firm, OR even live in The Country from where they derive their Titles, this is quite an achievement. What Meghan wants - Meghan gets. Indeed.

Meghan, who is laser focused on being a "brand" for herself and Harry will now certainly do the same for the kids. Position them forward as influential too. Why else demand the Titles as their "birthright" ? This IS 2023, and for an American raising American Children I find it simply preposterous. How many Prince and Princess are needed, especially there's days.Especially in foreign countries ?

Funny how Sweden and Denmark are actually streamlining Titles, but Charles does just the opposite for The Sussex's.

Who do nothing but challenge and criticize The Family and the Institution !

But Meghan IS a genius at PR. Both Meghan and Harry ( the Spare ) are consumed by Status and having a "voice and reach". So while I see their goals of wanting their kids to have the ability to use the Titles, I finds it baffling that Charles gave in. He certainly didn't have to. I think he looks weak in doing so too.

This is also setting up William to deal with problems and complications down the line as the "Prince and Princess of Sussex" become teenagers and young Adults. What if they are like their Parents ? And thrive on drama?

I think it was very unfair to saddle William with this. I would be so hurt and furious if I were him. It will fall on him and later George, if complications arise where the whole "Royal Sussex's Family" engages in activities that commercialize Titles and ties to The Crown. And reduce The Crown to derision , mockery and question its relevance.

In a world plugged in 24-7 by Social Media no less. Ready to pounce on everything

Every time an 'olive branch' is extended to The Sussex they smash it to smithereens it seems. I expect this time will be no different sadly. Just that Charles has sadly probably guaranteed the drama continues into the next generation.

So much for streamlining ? Still think this move is terrible and will backfire down the line too.

Another excellent comment! The King's advisers are fools if they are the ones responsible for this outcome.

Yes but they’re out there representing the crown aren’t they?

Not gurning at the press trying to raise their profile in order to make money off their status.

So one can only wear expensive clothing if they are working for the crown? Pretty sure she was judged the same way when she was. So meh. Her money.

Last edited:
So one can only wear expensive clothing if they are working for the crown? Pretty sure she was judged the same way she was. So meh. Her money.

The point is that she is a user of her status for her own financial gain. As is her husband.

I would have thought that the point being made was an obvious one. Clearly I need to be less British & a bit more blunt in my future postings.?

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on. An unwise error by The King that will have consequences into the future.

If I were the PofW I would be sorely tempted to move permanently somewhere warm & flog stories about his dolt of a brother. What's sauce for the goose & all that. Why bother with honouring your heritage when you can cash in & tell lies to the world for millions.

I respectfully disagree. I think Charles has played this perfectly. Archie and Lilibet automatically became Prince and Princess upon his ascension to the throne. Nothing more nothing less. Sure, we can debate about when the royal website was updated ... but, as we all know ... it was an automatic thing.

I respectfully disagree. I think Charles has played this perfectly. Archie and Lilibet automatically became Prince and Princess upon his ascension to the throne. Nothing more nothing less. Sure, we can debate about when the royal website was updated ... but, as we all know ... it was an automatic thing.

Fair comment. There will be different perspectives of course. My instinct is that it will make the Sussex situation potentially more aggravating into the future. Especially for the next king.

It will interesting to find out what public opinion is. Maybe yougov will find out. Probably most won't care but I wouldn't be surprised if supporters of the monarchy will be left less than impressed. And that's potentially a worry for this new reign.

Last edited:

My feeling is that they only consider english paparazzi despicable, not US paparazzi :flowers:

The majority of the engagements that are carried out every year in the UK and abroad happen in all types of weather and frequently show royals re wearing the clothing that they've owned for years. The tiaras and gowns are frequently repeats too.;)

Let's also keep in mind the motivation that saw at least two of them who gave up careers in the military or private sector to assist their cousin Elizabeth with carrying out duties on behalf of the monarch and the nation. I don't believe it was because their spouses wanted to "rock gowns and tiaras." I believe it was that they love their family and their nation. Based upon their own often cited words and actions, I don't believe that Meghan and Harry are capable of understand anything that doesn't involve their own financial gain and exposure.

To be honest i wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the back of Harry's mind there's a hint of "they took a title away from my mom, they are not going to take them from my wife and kids"

Question about timing of Frogmore eviction, title, etc.

During one of the interviews for his book, Harry was asked if he would attend the coronation. He said "there is a lot that could happen between now (Jan 2023) and then." Boy, was he right!

I think there is more that meets the eyes with these recent developments:

- Frogmore: while the news of eviction was broken by the tabloid in early March. I have seen reports that the Sussex were notified months ago, probably early Jan, when "Spare" was published.

- Detractors of the Sussex were lighting up the internet with their glee at this bit of news. People were praising Charles up to the heavens for this move.

- However, in the space of few days, opinion on Charles took a 180 degree turn when the children's titles were officially acknowledged. I don't think a letter patent is needed since they are not working royals and relying on existing convention is pretty straightforward.

My question is about the timing:
- Lilibet is almost two years old, isn't that old for a Christening?
- Why such delay?
- One of the god parents didn't want to go to UK for the Christening anyway, so they could have done this anytime in the last 2 years. They can't even use Covid as an excuse.

Were there ongoing negotiations about Frogmore and children's titles over the past couple of years? Did they give up Frogmore but asked for the title for the kids?

A more cynical view:

- Sussex were told to vacate Frogmore in Jan 2023
- They viewed this news as a rejection/punishment
- So they started planning Lilibet's Christening, and timed it to rebuttal the eviction news.
- The message is "they can kick us out of the house, but we are still related to the Royal family and this relationship needs to be formally recognized."

Fair comment. There will be different perspectives of course. My instinct is that it will make the Sussex situation potentially more aggravating into the future. Especially for the next king.

It will interesting to find out what public opinion is. Maybe yougov will find out. Probably most won't care but I wouldn't be surprised if supporters of the monarchy will be left less than impressed. And that's potentially a worry for this new reign.

A poll about this would be interesting, but it might not affect opinions about HM The King either way. He could either say that the 1917 Letters Patent guaranteed HRH Prince Archie of Sussex and HRH Lilibet of Sussex their titles the moment he became king, or that he feels that it would be unfair to dissallow the use of/ strip his grandchildren of their titles due to the actions of their parents. Both would probably be reasonable enough such that the public wouldn't begrudge him that.

To be honest i wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the back of Harry's mind there's a hint of "they took a title away from my mom, they are not going to take them from my wife and kids"

His mother got that title only though marriage...therfore after divorce she was not entitled to them. Nobody took anything from her, it was her decision.
Can we stop with this revenge narrative? Diana was in good terms with Royal Family when she passed away. Other that fact what Archie and Lili even suppose to do with royal titles in US.

This is exactly what I think. We know how touchy Harry is about the slights he feels that Diana experienced. We also know that he's more than a little touchy about William eventually having the top job and Harry feeling lesser-than.

Besides which, despite what the future King William might feel about his brother and SIL, he'd probably be hard pressed to begrudge his niece and nephew their royal titles. The children are innocent in all of this. They can't help what their parents do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom