The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably annoying saying this, but i think the headlines have their currencies mixed up, as far as i can tell it's
raised: 10 million GBP (13 million USD)
one generous donor: 8 million GBP (10 million USD)

For their first full year (2021) that's good, i'd say, and as i expect that money to be spend on various good causes, i'd say the more the better.
In 2022 i think they had more time to network and mingle with potential sponsors, so i'd expect 2022 to even increase on that.
If there would be a fall-out from Harry and Meghan's public utterances regarding Britain, British media and his family, i don't expect it to have effect in 2022 yet.
And the 2023 effect should be minimal if from now on they focus on moving on and getting their philantropy out and noticed instead of the other stuff.

(the article mentions 3 million USD being granted from the foundation, not really sure what the rest was spend on, but i didn't try to look really hard

I think this report doesn't only cover year 2021, but also year 2022 since it also mention about Uvalde shooting which happened in May 2022. Besides, this report was released in January 2023 (via Scobie) and if this is about 2021 only, why wouldn't they released it last year? Does it really take one year to make this report?

I'm confused about the "first operational year", since the report mentioned about Global Citizen's Covid concert which happened in May 2021 and Uvalde's playground which happened in October 2022. I get that some year-end report usual covered Q2 of the year reported to Q1 of the year the report is released (nobody want to work overtime to compile the report during the holiday season :lol:). And this was released in Jan so supposedly it covers Jan 2022 to Dec 2022 OR Jan 2021 to Dec 2021 (because it took a year to write this report) OR Apr 2021 to March 2022, none of it explains the inclusion of both Global Citizen's concert AND Uvalde playground in one report since both happened more than a year apart.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/harry-meghan-publish-24-page-29084166

I also try not to think much about where the money came from and where it went. At the very least, they contribute something.

Edit:
This is the impact report they released
https://t.co/Ofj476xkZO
As shown by the cover, it covered 2020-2022 (not 2021 only.

To note, it has no mention of their financial details. The USD 13m raised and USD 3m spent by the foundation was based on Scobie's tweet (no mention where he got that numbers other than from Archewell's press release) and the alleged USD 10m single donor was from "investigation" (whatever it means).

Last edited:
So, if I understand it correctly, the 10 million dollar wasn't spent on any projects but is just keeping Archwell afloat while the other income received (3 million USD) is going towards real projects?!

So, if I understand it correctly, the 10 million dollar wasn't spent on any projects but is just keeping Archwell afloat while the other income received (3 million USD) is going towards real projects?!

Well seems that way. Isn’t good is it. Especially if Harry donated it himself. They don’t seem to need to be transparent in the USA about where money goes like they have to be in the UK. Good luck to them.

I think one of the reasons Meghan wanted to return to the US was for this purpose. US charities are, for better or worse, less regulated.

I wonder if this anonymous donor is someone profiting off the entertainment industry, someone like Netflix or Rupert Murdoch. That way, it’s a “I scratch your back, you scratch mine” type of thing, where the success of the Sussex brand gives them a personal financial boost as they can continue to generate viewers’ eyes and therefore cash.

Not only that, but that donor gets a tax break.

Three million to help others is great, but it’s very clear now that it is because of wealthy benefactors that Archewell is able to stay afloat. Meghan and Harry are once again depending on a very small number of wealthy individuals to fund their dreams. It’s not exactly a grand success story, but I’m sure they’re pleased.

Ideally less than 10% would be overhead, up to 20% isn't unheard of but over 75% is absurd. I would strongly advise anyone not to donate to a charity organization with such abysmal numbers - almost any other organization would be more worthy of that donation. Even more so, as they seem just to be a middleman and not really add any value compared to donating directly to the projects they support..

Ideally less than 10% would be overhead, up to 20% isn't unheard of but over 75% is absurd. I would strongly advise anyone not to donate to a charity organization with such abysmal numbers - almost any other organization would be more worthy of that donation. Even more so, as they seem just to be a middleman and not really add any value compared to donating directly to the projects they support..

No,do not donate a penny!Too rediculous for words to even contemplate!!What a scam,but then again not surprising coming from them,what a waste...scam!

May be a long term term investment. But however yes I don't know why you would give them money rather than the charities themselves. It is a bit if a crazy structure but whatever.

The expectation in the media does seem to be that Harry will be invited. The King's in a very difficult position. The first Coronation for 70 years, the focus of worldwide attention, isn't an ideal place to attempt to mend a family feud. There aren't any easy answers, although personally I hope Harry stays away.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are welcome at the Coronation, provided they come with no pre-conditions. If they cannot do that, best to stay away.

I think the best outcome would be if Charles invites them; if he doesn't, he may appear to be petty. He has taken the high road so far, so if he at least extends the invitation, he is blameless.

Hopefully, they won't attend.

I really hope they will be the decency NOT to come.

I really hope they will be the decency NOT to come.

You are giving them too much credit by thinking they have any sort of tact. They will show up if invited, alongside their perennial third person that follows them around. This third person, exposed on a recent video, will sure follow them around for the coronation.

Last edited:
You are giving them too much credit by thinking they have any sort of tact. They will show up if invited, alongside their perennial third person that follows them around. This third person, exposed on a recent video, will sure follow them around for the coronation.
Hello Toledo
as third personyoy mean a cameraman?

It seems to be generally expected that they'll be invited. The question is whether or not they'll come.

Hello Toledo
as third person you mean a cameraman?

The cameraman/men that was recently exposed in a video as the one documenting every move from the Duchess since before the marriage. Some people write diaries about the daily life, she does a whole production with a photographer. Don't know if he/or them? were credited in her book but the funny expose asks the question on who is holding the camera of if they have a magical tripod that floats around them.

I assume, in reference to this coronation, their daily diary photographer will be present at all times unless security stops him from entering the family areas.

It seems to be generally expected that they'll be invited. The question is whether or not they'll come.

That does seem to be the consensus. Of course people will take sides whatever is decided. The best course of action might be to invite them & sit them away from the focus of the service. No doubt the BBC will take the hint that an awful lot of people (dis proportionally natural supporters of the monarchy I venture) just don't want to see them on their screens at any point whatsoever.

Has anytime heard about the progress of the court case with HM government? It has been noted that the case has cost the taxpayer approximately £300,000

Yes, today's papers are reporting that it's cost £296,000. There doesn't seem to be an outcome yet, though.

Has anytime heard about the progress of the court case with HM government? It has been noted that the case has cost the taxpayer approximately £300,000
As I understand from the press, the hearing is in April.

“ It is understood the case against the Home Office will be heard in April.”

I honestly wonder if he seriously thinks he will get whatever is he wants out of this?

And the fact that he was in the UK for about 2 weeks in September seems to suggest that there is no need for additional security as he was able to visit without it.

I just read the article posted by Ghost (thanks!) and saw the figures, wow!

But then, why they expect UK taxpayers to pay one private UK citizen and one private USA citizen for their security? When Beyonce, Britney Spears, Bill Gates, the Agha Khan travel to or move around the UK they probably fund their own private security, which I assume is a business expense, right? The Sussex duo can afford it.

Maybe do a Go Fund Me with the caption "I want to see my Dad's promotion party, please help with trip money..." :lol:

Whilst I find it very odd that anyone does opinion polls on the Royal Family's approval ratings in the US - I can't in a million years imagine anyone running polls in the UK on the approval of other countries' royals - the latest polls show that Harry's rating is -10 and Meghan's -17, with Prince Andrew on -2 apparently less unpopular than either of them.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...ce-andrew-more-popular-harry-meghan-poll-dxus

A couple of posts have been removed as they did not conform to the rules regarding posting on the Sussex thread. Before posting link, please review the rules around posting, and what are considered reliable sources as described on the first page of this thread, otherwise you run the risk of your post being deleted.

Is Charles going to reimburse the Sussexes for the 2.4 million pounds the couple paid back for the refurbishments to FC (that was in fact Sovereign Grant money) and 18 months rent in advance that was paid?

Is Charles going to reimburse the Sussexes for the 2.4 million pounds the couple paid back for the refurbishments to FC (that was in fact Sovereign Grant money) and 18 months rent in advance that was paid?

I suppose it will depend on what the Sussexes ask to vacate the cottage or if Andrew himself wants to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom