The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Andrew wants to move.
But maintaining Royal Lodge is a big expense, and he really doesn't require the space, so it's probably a good decision all around.

But maintaining Royal Lodge is a big expense, and he really doesn't require the space, so it's probably a good decision all around.

He got a 75 yr lease on it. Im sure he is not that keen to move, but he may decide it is for the best to take on a smaller place.

Is Charles going to reimburse the Sussexes for the 2.4 million pounds the couple paid back for the refurbishments to FC (that was in fact Sovereign Grant money) and 18 months rent in advance that was paid?

Hopefully, otherwise that's a very shameful display on his part.

He got a 75 yr lease on it. Im sure he is not that keen to move, but he may decide it is for the best to take on a smaller place.

I am sure Andrew can sell the lease back to the Crown Estate.

I am sure Andrew can sell the lease back to the Crown Estate.

He could but he clearly liked the house a lot or he would not have spent a lot of money doing it up and buying such a long lease.

Is Charles going to reimburse the Sussexes for the 2.4 million pounds the couple paid back for the refurbishments to FC (that was in fact Sovereign Grant money) and 18 months rent in advance that was paid?

Perhaps he already has done so.
Not all “Royal news” is published in the tabloids, thank goodness.

He could but he clearly liked the house a lot or he would not have spent a lot of money doing it up and buying such a long lease.

I agree. But the case for downsizing is a clear one.

I suspect the KIng probably will still be giving his brother money on an ongong basis. But rather that using the money for maintaing Royal Lodge, it may well be that the monies are used to fund Andrew's lifestyle.

Last edited:
I agree. But the case for downsizing is a clear one.

True but Andrew may not want to. If he does, he and Charles and Harry can negotiate the financial side of it. I dont relaly see why it is a story

I have to agree. It appears that Royal Lodge is a bit of a money pit, so why not close it up and make it sound from the exterior. Andrew can move into a smaller but recently renovated property.

Frogmore Cottage has been standing mostly vacant for years now except for the occasional visit from the Sussexes and the short period when the Brooksbanks were subletting it.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/king-asks-duke-duchess-sussex-090601838.html

The Telegraph reports that the King has asked the Sussexes to vacate Frogmore Cottage so that Prince Andrew can move in there and cut his living expenses.

Does that mean Harry has to return to the UK to arrange for the removal of their belongings? Somehow, I can't see him renting a truck and doing the boxing and packing himself. Or having a tag sale sign outside of Frogmore either.

Kidding aside, any news on how this removal of properties will be handled and if monitored, since the house probably has antiques that can't be removed nor leave the UK?

I remember in the early 80s the news on actress Sofia Loren being fined or arrested for trying to remove renaissance paintings she owned out of Italy, because of some law to protect historical works of art. In the USA we have the historical society that often prevents homeowners from alterations on historical buildings or houses.

Well the timing of this is certainly interesting. *IF* true. Very calculating.

It would appear to make it known to The Sussex's that their life "overseas" is permanent to Charles. Not even a home in the UK to keep as a vacation home, a base so to speak, and introduce Archie and Lili to their Royal heritage, UK culture and affiliations.

Especially in light of the fact that Frogmore Cottage was secure and Harry's fight for Royal Security when visting The UK is still in progress. Ouch !
All done two months before The Coronation too.
So what's the next move ? Will they still come ? Where will they stay ? With Charles and Camilla ? hmmmm, LOL... doubtful. A hotel, as who else would put them up ?
As an aside I saw a newly released clip of Harry from The Stephen Colbert show. Again, on an Interview sounding immature talking about ....his ripped boxer shots when asked.... "what is something you keep that you should throw out?

Or talking about getting autographs from Rugby Team Players in 2003. " They were naked with their Willies hanging out" . Why mention that at all ? Seems to be a running theme with him. His privates or others. Just weird in my opinion.

Last edited:
Do we know the lease term of Frogmore Cottage? Is it annually or long term one like Andrew's Royal Lodge?

What I mean to say is, what if this is not the case of the Sussexes being "kicked out" of the property, but they decide not to extend the lease. Considering they only stay there for couple of days a year, what if they think it's better to use the money for, say, their foundation instead of paying lease for an empty house they barely ever live.

I know several people with multiple houses. Normally they live in the rented house (in the city where they work) while leave their personally owned house empty. They don't need to pay rent for their own house so no money spent other than basic maintenance, while renting house and leave it empty is just wasting money.

The only advantage of having the lease of frogmore was that Harry could prove he had residence in UK and so continue to be counselor of state. For all the rest there are solutions.

Frogmore Cottage was supposedly given to Harry and Meghan as a wedding present by the late Queen. Or so we were all told at the time. Some loving gift! They had to pay for all the refurbishments (even though the media who made a huge fuss knew it was Sovereign Grant money,) and then have had the gift taken away anyway.

Last edited:
Just an update to my post. Apparently, according to today March 1, The Sussex's have till early summer to vacate Frogmore Cottage. So they would have an available AND secure place to be at, If they choose to come to The Coronation.

Omid Scoobie is reporting that the decision to evict them is a "stunning blow" and that "the Couple are stunned by the move and at least TWO MEMBERS of The Royal Family are appalled".

Well, what did they expect after Spare and The Netflik Docu-series ?

Oh, and I'm "guessing" the two members of The Family that Scobie is stating are allegedly appalled are Eugenie and Beatrice. Especially, since reports are that Charles wants Andrew to downsize BIGTIME and move there.
Or perhaps its Eugenie and Jack, who are seemingly still close to The Sussex's.

His pointing out the "two members are appalled" is not cool either. Why bring them or whoever in ? But its classic Sussex. Throw out allegations and innuendo without specifics, and let it hang out there.....

More "victim" narrative and a mean Royal Family..... for the upcoming new chapter that Harry is allegedly writing when the Spare paperback edition is released.

Last edited:
Does that mean Harry has to return to the UK to arrange for the removal of their belongings? Somehow, I can't see him renting a truck and doing the boxing and packing himself. Or having a tag sale sign outside of Frogmore either.

Kidding aside, any news on how this removal of properties will be handled and if monitored, since the house probably has antiques that can't be removed nor leave the UK?

I remember in the early 80s the news on actress Sofia Loren being fined or arrested for trying to remove renaissance paintings she owned out of Italy, because of some law to protect historical works of art. In the USA we have the historical society that often prevents homeowners from alterations on historical buildings or houses.

Why would it have antiques? I dont think the Sussexes are liklely to have wanted antiques in their shiny new house and even if there are, I cant see why there would be problems with them removing thier own property from their house, if they want to take it to the US

Why would it have antiques? I dont think the Sussexes are liklely to have wanted antiques in their shiny new house and even if there are, I cant see why there would be problems with them removing thier own property from their house, if they want to take it to the US

If they have any furniture or art from the royal collection, which I doubt they have, they’ll have to return it. If personal property and part of the national patrimony, they need aproval to take it out of the country. At least that’s how it works in a lot of european countries.

Well the timing of this is certainly interesting. *IF* true. Very calculating.

It would appear to make it known to The Sussex's that their life "overseas" is permanent to Charles. Not even a home in the UK to keep as a vacation home, a base so to speak, and introduce Archie and Lili to their Royal heritage, UK culture and affiliations.

I wonder if losing Frogmore Cottage might also have implications on Prince Harry's status as "domiciled in the UK", which in turn would impact his ability to serve as a Counsellor of State or Regent. Does anybody know?

As for vacations, I am pretty sure the Sussexes will be welcome to stay at Balmoral over the summer if they wish to. I also expect them to be invited for Christmas at Sandrigham.

If they have any furniture or art from the royal collection, which I doubt they have, they’ll have to return it. If personal property and part of the national patrimony, they need aproval to take it out of the country. At least that’s how it works in a lot of european countries.

I dont know of any such laws. I doubt if they have anything from the Royal collection, and if they own anything antique and valuable it is theirs and they can do what they like with it.

I wonder if losing Frogmore Cottage might also have implications on Prince Harry's status as "domiciled in the UK", which in turn would impact his ability to serve as a Counsellor of State or Regent. Does anybody know?

As for vacations, I am pretty sure the Sussexes will be welcome to stay at Balmoral over the summer if they wish to. I also expect them to be invited for Christmas at Sandrigham.

I thought that there had been arrangments made so that Harry would not be called on to serve as Counsellor of State or Regent.

I thought that there had been arrangments made so that Harry would not be called on to serve as Counsellor of State or Regent.

Arrangements were made to allow Anne and Edward to serve as Counsellors of State, but Harry was not disqualified; he just became "dispensable".

Arrangements were made to allow Anne and Edward to serve as Counsellors of State, but Harry was not disqualified; he just became "dispensable".

They would not do that, surely unless it was tacitly accepted that neithr Andrw nor Harry should serve in these roles.

Scobie has proven himself to be a fool and a tool for the Sussex couple. They could tell him anything and he would repeat it.

Why on earth should the Sussex couple retain Frogmore Cottage when they have proven and stated over and over again that they prefer their Montecito lifestyle to that of England?

Mbruno,I respectively disagree that The Sussex's would be invited to spend time at Balmoral in Summer or Christmas at Sandringham.

The purported move to basically evict them from Frogmore Cottage was according to Omid Scoobie a giant surprise and "stunning blow" to The Sussex's. They now have no home in the UK, come Summer.
Gone. Taken from them. I doubt Meghan cares, but I bet it "stings" Harry on some level. It has to hurt. And allegedly they didn't see it coming at all.

I guess or hope he realizes what its like to be powerless against other Family member actions. As his Family was, by his and Meghans insults and allegations about them for the last three years now.

This move tells me that Charles and William are about as close to being completely DONE with The Sussex's as possible. No more olive branches will be offered.

Too many personal private moments, if even true, were put for cheap, tawdry public consumption to hurt-damage The Royal Family and enrich and empower The Sussex's profile.

Why would they want The Sussex's at treasured Balmoral anyway, after all they have done. Why reward them ? I wonder how many of The Family would go to Sandringham at Christmas IF the Sussex's were there ? Can you say boycott ? LOL ?

So know it appears binding ties, a house, will be lost to the Sussex's. I applaud Charles for doing this. Checkmate.

Im sure that Charles will never completley cut Harry off. He may well think that H should give up the cottage, he is not ever going ot live there is he? But Charles will probably still invite them for private visits. Har is his son and he still loves him even if he is wary of him

Im sure that Charles will never completley cut Harry off. He may well think that H should give up the cottage, he is not ever going ot live there is he? But Charles will probably still invite them for private visits. Har is his son and he still loves him even if he is wary of him

I agree. I am sure the Sussex family will be welcome to visit the King and stay at Windsor Castle, or any of the other royal homes. They no longer need to be provided a home of their own on a royal estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom