The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth can you go through $100 million that fast? (What Netflix paid them). I don't think I could spend one million dollars that fast. They must have some lifestyle. :whistling:

How on earth can you go through $100 million that fast? (What Netflix paid them). I don't think I could spend one million dollars that fast. They must have some lifestyle. :whistling:

were they paid so much?

It’s unlikely they actually received that much. They probably received some money up front, with the rest as content was delivered. These six episodes seem to be the only content that has been delivered, and multiple directors and production companies likely made it expensive to produce, which probably impacted how much they earn.

It will be interesting to see if the partnership with Netflix and the one with Spotify continue after this year, especially with the departure of Ms. Dayani to handle the business relationship.

I think the posters speculating that money troubles might be a concern are probably right.

They've apparently had a troubled relationship with Netflix, but media companies will look past any sin if you can make them oodles of money. It all comes down to the viewing figures and response to the upcoming show.

"Company"? I thought Archwell was a foundation?

It has been both from the start IIRC.

I also thought this sentence about 'remaining friends' was rather weird. Why would you expect your professional relationships to turn into friendships that will last after they leave your company? In some cases it might but that's not something that any professional company would comment on.

'Ms Dayani was brought on during their parental leave to move the company and its projects forward.

'She has continued to shape its vision and future successfully. Her transition was mutually planned, with intent for the Duke and Duchess to now take full lead of their company.

'There will be no replacement for this position, and Ms Dayani is fully supportive of the Duke and Duchess in their new leadership roles, and they remain friends.'

It has been both from the start IIRC.

I also thought this sentence about 'remaining friends' was rather weird. Why would you expect your professional relationships to turn into friendships that will last after they leave your company? In some cases it might but that's not something that any professional company would comment on.

I find the end part regarding remaining friends a strange addition, why did anybody think we needed to know that.

I find the end part regarding remaining friends a strange addition, why did anybody think we needed to know that.

And honestly, I doubt it is true. If it were, there wouldn't be a need to broadcast that to the world. Time would tell if she truly remained a friend of them, but I doubt she will still be in their circle of friends a few years down the road (assuming she is now - which I am not so sure about either).

A reminder that when the thread is opened, the only topic to be discussed is the most recent news that has been posted. Posts on other, older topics run the risk of being deleted.

I have never believed the sky high money figure deals for their various commercial ventures like Netflix and Spotify, that have been printed as gospel.

But this Woman WAS in charge of Archewell Media Side, I'm assuming behind the Netflix Docu-Reality Series -Spotify Podcasts. Interesting that 4 days before it gets released She is stepping down. And the Podcasts ended last week.
Harry's 4 book deal is the one worth *supposedly* 20 million plus that I do believe is ballpark.
It is more likely for the Netflix deal they got millions up front in a "percentage", but the 100 million bandied about ? Nope not buying anywhere NEAR that. Upfront too, before anything was even taped.
Same as the Spotify Podcasts. I still don't believe it was for 18-25 Million either. And if it was a one time deal for 2022, I wonder if Spotify will want to re-sign for 2023 ?
I don't think in the end The Podcasts were game changes for EITHER party. Meghan or Spotify.
Love to know how much behind the scenes in contract negotiations and content input for the Netflix series and Spotify Podcasts Ms Dayani actually had ?

Harry and Meghan have a very, very expensive lifestyle that takes BIG money to enable. The Security bills alone must be insane.
Also remember that California taxes are brutal too. Whatever $$$ deals they have inked, the Federal, State and Local Governments get their cut.

Interesting that The Sussex's themselves will be in charge overseeing the Business- Foundation. Ummm, good luck with that, Harry and Meghan. Neither one to me has the background to be competent at all in managing something as complex as that. Big money and big responsibility.
And as for the odd blip about " remaining friends " with Ms Dayani, well I'm going to be snarky and just assume that with them cutting ties in such dramatic fashion with SO MANY family and friends, they just wanted to seem to part on good terms.

Last edited:
They always have to end on good terms. So they have no PR, no business manager.:2 person operation.

Given the high turnover of their staff, both at Archwell and KP/BP, as well as the allegations in Valentine Low's book about the treatment of their staff, they probably felt like they needed to get out in front of any speculation that that might be the cause of Ms. Dayani's departure. But that statement is so over the top that is has a strong "doth protest too much" vibe. I can't remember the last time I saw a corporate announcement containing assurances that a departing executive and the CEO(s) were still friends.

I assume Ms. Dayani has an airtight non-disclosure agreement, LOL.

Members Ghost and Blog Real have shared the Duke of Sussex's Christmas message to the children of Scotty's Little Soldiers:

Curious...could Lili Sussex remain in the line of Succession if she is indeed not baptized, given the fact that Crown and Church are so inextricably linked?

She will never take the throne of course . But we are in uncharted territory. There has never been an unbaptized Royal relative in the British or any western monarchy that I am aware of.

Yes she can remain in the line of succession while not baptised. There is actually no requirement to be baptised until she is very close to the throne itself at which point, should she somehow become the heir, it would be expected that she becomes a communicant member of the CoE or at least be 'in communion with the CoE'. To do that she would first need to be baptised but that can happen in the same ceremony, or on the same day.

The actual requirement is for the monarch to be 'in communion with the CoE'. There is no specific requirements for those in the line of succession.

e.g. at the moment William is the first person in the line of succession who is 'in communion with the CoE' as he has been confirmed. Harry is the second. George, Charlotte and Louis are all too young to be 'in communion' yet but will, probably, be confirmed in the fullness of time. Again no age limit is stated although it would be expected for George to be confirmed before he turns 18 but if he isn't that isn't a concern so long as he is confirmed before he becomes King. What this means, in theory, is that George could be 60 and still unconfirmed and then he is told that William has maybe an hour to live. The Archbishop of Canterbury, or another bishop, could then confirm him within that hour and George meets the requirements to be King on the death of his father.

Please see Line of succession to the British throne for my reply.

But "the line of succession" is not an official entity separate from the monarchy. It is simply an term of description for the set of individuals who are legally eligible to be monarch. And the laws governing eligibility to be monarch make no distinction between those who have a higher probability of becoming monarch and those who have a lower probability.

What Moonmaiden23's question means in practice is: Suppose all of the descendants of Charles III with the exception of Lilibet were to unexpectedly die, followed quickly by the death of Charles III himself, and Lilibet remained unbaptized up to the moment of Charles III's death. Would Lilibet or Andrew be the legal monarch? By law, the next sovereign succeeds immediately upon the death of the previous monarch, so one of them would be monarch in the eyes of the law, even if it was not immediately clear who it was.

Again, the statutory provisions are as follows, and it is clear that Lilibet would need to fulfill the Church of England's requirements for being "Protestant", at minimum:

Bill of Rights 1688

[...] And the said Crowne and Government shall from time to time descend to and be enjoyed by such person or persons being Protestants [...]​

Act of Settlement 1700

[...] and for Default of Issue of the said Princess Ann and of His Majesty [King William III] respectively the Crown and Regall Government [...] shall be remain and continue to the said most Excellent Princess Sophia and the Heirs of Her Body being Protestants [...]

That whosoever shall hereafter come to the possession of this crown shall joyn in communion with the Church of England as by law established [...]​

A House of Commons briefing paper explains that the last clause actually debars even some Protestant denominations:

At first the effect of this was to exclude all members of other churches. However, members of certain other Protestant churches may not now be debarred. Since 1972, by the Church of England’s Admission to Holy Communion Measure18, and the [Church of England] Canon (B15A) that followed it, “baptised persons who are communicant members of other churches which subscribe to the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, and who are in good standing in their own Church” shall without further process be admitted to Holy Communion in Church of England churches.

This means, for instance, that a Methodist, Congregationalist, Church of Scotland, or Baptist member can take Anglican Communion, though a Unitarian (who would reject the concept of the Trinity) and Quakers (who do not subscribe to the concept of the Lord’s Supper) could not. Hence in the strict sense of the wording of the Act of Settlement, members of most Protestant churches would not now be excluded.​

The Duke and Duchess have arrived in NYC ahead of the award ceremony.

[...]
The Duchess of Sussex and the Duke of Sussex were pictured entering the city over the weekend. On December 6, the couple is expected to receive the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Ripple of Hope Award for 2022.

Harry wore a subdued ensemble for the flight, consisting of a white button-up and black pants. Keeping her hair up in a bun, the former Suits star wore a black dress and dark eyeglasses.

The two have just arrived in New York City, just days before they will be recognised at a gala alongside the late NBA legend Bill Russell, the president of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy, and others for being “exemplary leaders” who have “demonstrated an unwavering commitment to social change and worked to protect and advance equity, justice, and human rights,” according to the foundation’s website.
[...]

Article and photos here.

I think giving them this award dilutes the Ripple of Hope award. But it is giving them extra publicity this year.

They’re not getting the JFK Profile in Courage award though.

Are they going to give a speech?

I wouldn't say no to a private jet, but I also don't preach the green agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke and Duchess have accepted the Ripple of Hope award in NYC tonight.

Article by ET

Logging in late at 9:16 PM for a few minutes and a catching up on a few comments.

Re the Spiderman video posted above. I'm confused. Why? It's cute for Halloween but I don't understand the association with the message nor why he's masked.

Re the staff leaving Archwell and H&M managing on their own. That's one very bad decision when you are dealing with a non-profit in the USA were all records need to be transparent. Hope they kept the accounting firm because they can't afford any single mistake in the management of funds. There's so much attention on them in the USA those 2023 tax forms need to explain how the money is being moved around.

I'll read the last article from Ista now and reopen this message to add the last comment...

I'm back because I can't open the article without signing up. But the lines I read makes me wonder if they are settling in millions of pounds and if that will be taxable by marriage in the USA. Anyone knows?

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess have accepted the Ripple of Hope award in NYC tonight.

Article by ET

I'm looking at it in twitter and there's a lot of videos about it right now. That aside, Meghan looks beautiful in that white gown.

Meghan looks stunning in white and you can see the couple are devoted to each other. Love the hair, jewellery, everything!

(...)

I'm back because I can't open the article without signing up. But the lines I read makes me wonder if they are settling in millions of pounds and if that will be taxable by marriage in the USA. Anyone knows?

Here's the gist:

(...)

At a preliminary hearing on Tuesday, Judge Barbara Fontaine was told Harry and ANL have agreed to continue efforts to reach a settlement, and will conduct negotiations until January 20.

If no settlement is agreed, the duke will ask the court to either strike out ANL’s defence or give summary judgment in his favour, avoiding the need for a trial.

(...)

Judge Fontaine also dealt with the budget for further expected legal fees in the case, setting the amount recoverable by Harry in the event that he wins the claim at £341,739 – almost half the £631,035 sought by the duke under the same costs headings.

The judge said costs of £340,000 have already been incurred by the duke in the case so far, and concluded that the estimate of total costs put forward on his behalf of about £1.2 million was “extremely high”.

Ben Gallop, representing ANL, told the court the publisher’s estimated costs are just over £500,000 and argued the duke’s costs schedule was “wholly disproportionate” for a case in which the trial is due to last between two and four days.

Jane Phillips, representing the duke, told the court the costs were high due to the “high profile” nature of the case and the level of public interest, which meant the evidence had to be considered very carefully.

(...)

In July, Mr Justice Nicklin ruled in Harry’s favour on the first stage of his libel claim, relating to the “objective meaning” of the article, following a hearing in June.

The judge found the article was defamatory, saying a normal reader would understand from the article that Harry “was responsible for public statements, issued on his behalf, which claimed that he was willing to pay for police protection in the UK, and that his legal challenge was to the Government’s refusal to permit him to do so, whereas the true position, as revealed in documents filed in the legal proceedings, was that he had only made the offer to pay after the proceedings had commenced”.

(...)

The judge rejected an argument put forward by the duke’s legal team that the article accused Harry of lying, saying: “The article does not make that blunt allegation, whether expressly or by implication.

“The hypothetical ordinary reasonable reader would understand the difference, as a matter of fact, between ‘spinning’ facts and ‘lying’.”

(...)

Question: in the case if settlement is reached, would it be guaranteed that it'd be ANL paying him?

Curryong, I was actually thinking Meghan might have debuted a new Diana jewelry piece tonight. There wasn't much opportunity for glittering jewel events in the short time Meghan was in the UK, then after they left, Covid lockdowns happened.

I have often wondered what the heck happened to the breathtaking sapphire - pearl choker that was such a signature piece of Diana's. It seems Meghan got the Aquamarine ring, a bracelet and another favorite of Diana's, her Cartier watch. But for big 'statement' pieces that seems to be it. Except for the small stuff sentimental things like the butterfly earings Meghan wears.

Curryong, I was actually thinking Meghan might have debuted a new Diana jewelry piece tonight. There wasn't much opportunity for glittering jewel events in the short time Meghan was in the UK, then after they left, Covid lockdowns happened.

I have often wondered what the heck happened to the breathtaking sapphire - pearl choker that was such a signature piece of Diana's. It seems Meghan got the Aquamarine ring, a bracelet and another favorite of Diana's, her Cartier watch. But for big 'statement' pieces that seems to be it. Except for the small stuff sentimental things like the butterfly earings Meghan wears.

That chocker was not her personal property, it was on permanent loan.

That chocker was not her personal property, it was on permanent loan.

At the time of Diana's wedding it was said that the sapphire choker was a gift from the Queen Mother.

Last edited:
At the time of Diana's wedding it was said that the sapphire choker was a gift from the Queen Mother.

Like you I thought it was a wedding gift, was it originally a brooch which Diana had changed to a choker/necklace.

I too have looked in vain for Meghan wearing any necklaces, chokers, even some diamonds and pearls pieces that Diana loved to wear. Diana was always very striking and I hoped that her jewellery would be shared between her daughters in law. It seems not. Those items you mentioned appear to be it. Unless of course Meghan is keeping a fortune in expensive jewellery in a safe somewhere. I doubt it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom