The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Curryong - sorry not sorry for Charles and Thomas being left out of Archwell opening of the website. Both fathers have hurt their children by different means but still publicly so why should Harry and Meghan owe filial loyalty to them? The Dads can stay mad.

Seriously... What has Charles done for the past couple of months in 2020 that hurt Harry & Meghan? :glare: ? :bang:

Let's not forget, it's the Sussexes' decision to leave their roles as senior working royals, they were not kicked out by force.

If anything, Charles have been very generous and accomodating to his children and grandchildren. Some may said that he has been too lenient and not firm/strict enough.

You can support Harry & Meghan without bashing other members of the Royal Family :whistling:

Last edited:
@Curryong - sorry not sorry for Charles and Thomas being left out of Archwell opening of the website. Both fathers have hurt their children by different means but still publicly so why should Harry and Meghan owe filial loyalty to them? The Dads can stay mad. Besides in certain courts of public opinion Charles and Thomas are not getting Father of the Year awards. Both men have negative opinions placed on them and that's due to their voluntary actions.

What a disgusting thing to say : to put Charles and Thomas Markle at the same level, REALLY ?
Its just wrong and untrue. And i'm polite.
That's why this thread is going nowhere , you just can't discuss with people with such phony arguments (and i'm polite as well).
Nauseating.

Last edited:
why oh why the explicit focus on mothers and strangers?
This is just baiting responses in defense of fathers, brothers and sisters, grandparents, cousins, friends etc etc

If Doria is Meghan's only family member that she is closed to, it potentially explains why fathers, brothers and sisters, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles were left out on the website.

I personally think it's not just a big slap on Prince Charles and Thomas Markle, but also members of the Royal Family and Meghan's family (particularly on her maternal side, who has stay out of the media spotlight and behave incredibly). But then again, why should I be surprised, given that Harry said in a BBC radio interview that The Royal Family is the family Meghan never had.

Last edited:
Let's not forget that Harry is where he is today because of his parents and grand parents.
If he was Harry Smith from Windsor nobody would be interested, no big wedding no big bank balance.
Other than his army salary his money until recently has all came from family. Trust funds and inheritance.
Just worth noting.

As Archewell grows, perhaps there will be areas where Harry, as a father, stresses the importance of fatherhood and being a hands on parent.

I've not checked the Archewell site yet and only know what's been written here but I do not see Meghan focusing on the topic of motherhood and pictures of their mothers (and Archie's grandmothers) a slap in the face to anyone. Meghan has been about empowering women and girls for a long, long time and in this respect, she's shining a light on the fact that being a mother can be empowering. It's a fact that Diana is Harry's mother and I don't think Charles, or anybody for that matter, would want that shoved under the carpet. It is what it is.

I keep remembering too that Archewell is brand spanking new and what we see now is just the seed starting to sprout. What we see now is not the full extent of what Archewell is planned to be. It's up and running and that's a good start.

Seriously... What has Charles done for the past couple of months in 2020 that hurt Harry & Meghan? :glare: ? :bang:

Let's not forget, it's the Sussexes' decision to leave their roles as senior working royals, they were not kicked out by force.

If anything, Charles have been very generous and accomodating to his children and grandchildren. Some may said that he has been too lenient and not firm/strict enough.

You can support Harry & Meghan without bashing other members of the Royal Family :whistling:

Right? I mean, if Charles has hurt Harry in the past, it certainly wasn't on purpose. He certainly loves his "darling boy" a great deal and has tried to do best by him even if he's not perfect (Note: NO ONE is perfect).

The idea that public opinion polls matter at all when it comes to parental/filial love is staggeringly mind blowing.

Thomas and Meghan's relationship is their own thing - it has nothing to do with Charles and Harry.

What cruel post.

I DO understand that maybe it might have been awkward for Harry to mention Charles when Meghan didn't Thomas, but as I think about it.......that's just how life is. H shouldn't have to avoid praising/showing public affection and respect for his father just because M has a lousy relationship with hers.

Last edited:
As Archewell grows, perhaps there will be areas where Harry, as a father, stresses the importance of fatherhood and being a hands on parent.

I've not checked the Archewell site yet and only know what's been written here but I do not see Meghan focusing on the topic of motherhood and pictures of their mothers (and Archie's grandmothers) a slap in the face to anyone. Meghan has been about empowering women and girls for a long, long time and in this respect, she's shining a light on the fact that being a mother can be empowering. It's a fact that Diana is Harry's mother and I don't think Charles, or anybody for that matter, would want that shoved under the carpet. It is what it is.

I keep remembering too that Archewell is brand spanking new and what we see now is just the seed starting to sprout. What we see now is not the full extent of what Archewell is planned to be. It's up and running and that's a good start.

Who exactly is trying to diminish Diana's influence on Harry? It's Charles who gets the short stick most of the time, truthfully, when it comes to stuff like this.

I think I am in the minority that I find the website itself very nice and welcoming. I also do not buy for a moment that any agreement to keep the Royal Family out of commercial endeavors could somehow be construed to mean that Harry could not say that his father modeled compassion for him. I do appreciate Curryong's insight that perhaps that decision was made to avoid highlighting that Thomas would inevitably be missing from any mention of "parents." Even if this is the case, I still think it is a terrible slap in the face to Charles and a wrong decision, but I think Curryong is probably on to something in terms of how and why the decision was made.

Osipi, you may feel differently (or perhaps not) when you look at the site. While I am in the minority here in thinking the site itself is quite nice, the messaging is- to be frank- just bizarre. If the idea was to promote how empowering motherhood is, one wonders why not just leave it at that: We are two people whose mothers modeled compassion for us. Or, indeed, mothers and other strong, enlightened, women. Instead, they said they had compassion modeled by their mothers and by complete strangers, so indeed, they are going to pains to point out that they are not just focusing on mothers, but on everyone who models compassion. This makes the exclusion of Harry's father, one of the world's foremost servant-leaders, absolutely bizarre.

For those who follow the Royal Family and have done for decades and for whom Charles's philanthropy, charity, care for others- yes, his compassion- is well known, for his son to start an organization based on this concept and say outright, this is based on how compassion was modeled "by my mother and complete strangers" has taken me, and perhaps others, aback. I am not saying I "fault" Harry or "have a problem" with it, just that I am... taken aback.

OK. I've had a chance to look over the Archwell site. With the photos they've selected for the background, it amplifies the first couple of lines "I am my mother's son and I am my son's mother". I see nothing wrong with that at all. I don't see a slap in the face to anyone there either.

Now for the lines "We have experienced compassion and kindness,From our mothers and strangers alike." Maybe I'm interpreting it differently but I don't see them saying it's *only* their mothers and strangers. I took it to be kind of an A-Z kind of thing encompassing all strata of human relationships with A being the love and compassion of a mother to Z being complete strangers. Everyone else falls in between and that, of course, could include fathers and siblings and aunts and uncles and cousins by the dozens and friends and acquaintances.

Just my interpretation of what I've seen. ?

Although I think the sentiment they are trying to imply is actually quite nice the wording about mothers they they have chosen is problematic. As other posters have pointed out this could be due to clauses previously determined that we are not aware of and I hope so.

When Diana died, Charles stepped up and raised both boys by himself (yes with nannies etc before everyone attacks me) and both William and Harry have turned out well and Charles deserves to take some credit for that, not just Diana.

All this wording does is give the media the chance to reflect on the fact that it is a slap in the face to Charles yet again. If they are bound by previous clauses then perhaps they should have focused on being parents and the future rather than being children and the past.

Is this intentional? Only Harry and Meghan know the answer to that. The cynical part of me says there is more money to be made by including Diana at the moment. If it is intentional and not due to any previously determined clause then I would suggest that the upcoming 12 month review will be very interesting.

Harry is not An Athena to have have sprung magically from Diana nor was Diana visited by an Angel Messenger. It would not have diminished Diana’s influence Or not empowered women one iota to mention he has parents plural. IMO it’s Disrespectful and tacky to not have a problem taking your fathers money and really all the privileges you ever had from your paternal family but present yourself as just your mothers son to The public.

Putting down money to pay for a privileged life does not automatically make you a good parent. Providing the love and emotional support when needed, no matter how old you are, is important if not more. For various reasons these dads didn't do the job.

True. But no one has Ever said Charles was not a good father. Even Diana never said that. He may or may not have been a terrible husband to Diana that’s a different matter and another argument But all evidence says he loves his boys And tried to be hands on as he could given his duties. William would not have his precious children visiting his father if the POW such a terrible And distant father I don’t believe . Your comparing him with loudmouth trouble mongering Thomas Markel is frankly faulty and bizarre

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-

Best I can tell: Harry and Meghan have managed to create another controversial website. You’d think they’d have learned from the last one. Whatever they intended- only talking about their mothers begs for some negative interpretation imo. I think they could have meant everyone from their mothers to total strangers, as another poster suggested. But- they invited controversy just the same.

I get that it could have been awkward to include Charles, but not Thomas. Or maybe they wanted to leave the BRF members out of the website. Or....who knows. But the mixed response isn’t surprising.

They could have taken a different approach to the website.

Last edited:
Putting down money to pay for a privileged life does not automatically make you a good parent. Providing the love and emotional support when needed, no matter how old you are, is important if not more. For various reasons these dads didn't do the job.

Since when did Charles not pay enough emotional support to Harry? ?

Nobody is perfect, but you cannot make a blanket statement that Charles has failed as a parent by not giving way to Harry & Meghan 100% of the time. Parenting is very complex and it's often about finding the balance between strict and lenient. Add to that Charles has to considered the monarchy's future and public opinions, given that he's going to be King and head of the family.

As previous posters have mentioned, Prince Charles and Thomas Markle are completely different, despite both being fathers.

True. But no one has Ever said Charles was not a good father. Even Diana never said that. He may or may not have been a terrible husband to Diana that’s a different matter and another argument But all evidence says he loves his boys And tried to be hands on as he could given his duties. William would not have his precious children visiting his father if the POW such a terrible And distant father I don’t believe . Your comparing him with loudmouth trouble mongering Thomas Markel is frankly faulty and bizarre

Perfectly put. Couldn't have say it better!

Last edited:
Frankly it also comes down to how a person approaches the website (or anything they do). If they are looking for the negative spin it is not a surprise they will find it.

We see it over and over, regardless of what The Sussexes do there are ppl who are going to make it a negative endeavor.

LaRae

That maybe but you can’t truthfully say at this point the couple don’t do or say some really questionable things a lot of the time snd put themselves Out there for questioning or criticizing. I am not talking about trolls or unreasonable haters who are gonna hate but reasonable people who Have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt before but see a pattern and are fed up of the Tiresome stuff that comes From them constantly. Talking about Raindrop people and fun with Law suits

Frankly it also comes down to how a person approaches the website (or anything they do). If they are looking for the negative spin it is not a surprise they will find it.

We see it over and over, regardless of what The Sussexes do there are ppl who are going to make it a negative endeavor.

LaRae

Very well put. It's all in the eye of the beholder. You find what you're looking for if you look long and hard enough and read not only between the lines but also between the letters of each word.

Personally, I don't think Harry and Meghan would do anything in their professional lives that would cause harm for anyone in their respective families. Their aim is to reach out to people and not alienate anyone.

Implying it’s your own fault you got Corona and that mother Earth is punishing you is pretty alienating but maybe that’s just
Me.

I think I am in the minority that I find the website itself very nice and welcoming. I also do not buy for a moment that any agreement to keep the Royal Family out of commercial endeavors could somehow be construed to mean that Harry could not say that his father modeled compassion for him. I do appreciate Curryong's insight that perhaps that decision was made to avoid highlighting that Thomas would inevitably be missing from any mention of "parents." Even if this is the case, I still think it is a terrible slap in the face to Charles and a wrong decision, but I think Curryong is probably on to something in terms of how and why the decision was made.

Osipi, you may feel differently (or perhaps not) when you look at the site. While I am in the minority here in thinking the site itself is quite nice, the messaging is- to be frank- just bizarre. If the idea was to promote how empowering motherhood is, one wonders why not just leave it at that: We are two people whose mothers modeled compassion for us. Or, indeed, mothers and other strong, enlightened, women. Instead, they said they had compassion modeled by their mothers and by complete strangers, so indeed, they are going to pains to point out that they are not just focusing on mothers, but on everyone who models compassion. This makes the exclusion of Harry's father, one of the world's foremost servant-leaders, absolutely bizarre.

For those who follow the Royal Family and have done for decades and for whom Charles's philanthropy, charity, care for others- yes, his compassion- is well known, for his son to start an organization based on this concept and say outright, this is based on how compassion was modeled "by my mother and complete strangers" has taken me, and perhaps others, aback. I am not saying I "fault" Harry or "have a problem" with it, just that I am... taken aback.

Exactly - it’s just a very odd way to word it. If they meant it to include all people (because then why mention strangers), then just say that; why specifically mention mothers ? Do mothers have a patent on compassion? Are mothers more important in molding their children than fathers are?

Harry has spoken about Charles’ influence in on him before, it’s not like he doesn’t understand all that his father has done for him and for others... Even though I can see why it would be awkward to reference Charles and not Thomas, still...it’s not like people don’t know the issues Meghan and her father have had. They could have worked around this - perhaps by having individual pages so that H could speak about his parents and M about her mother. I don’t think Harry intended to hurt his father, but it’s just another in a long line of instances where Charles is “ignored” as if Diana was the only loving, compassionate one.

This idea that Charles hadn’t been a good father, that all he’s done is give his sons money almost as if to compensate for a lack of love and caring is ridiculous. He’s done the best he could - no, he’s not perfect, no parent is. William and Harry aren’t stupid - they would have known as kids and would know now whether their father didn’t give a darn about them.

Last edited:
It is all about Meghan. This is behind this messaging. Mother's son. Son's mother. It is in keeping with who they are. Whatever.

It is all about Meghan. This is behind this messaging. Mother's son. Son's mother. It is in keeping with who they are. Whatever.

I agree...it’s my opinion that Harry acceded to Meghan about this (though, I admit, I didn’t mention it above because I didn’t want to go there)

Charles stepped in and saved Harry's wedding when the bride's father could not/ would not walk her down the aisle. He treated the bride's mother with great gentleness and courtesy and was by EVERY account welcoming, generous and supportive of Meghan and her relationship with his son.

I fail to understand how anyone can accuse the PoW of withholding emotional support.

What more precisely could he have done?:sad:

If it really is the Meghan show! all the time and she must be the person who controls everything and everyone around her as some like to say I feel terrible for Archie. Harry is a grown man who must lie in bed he made OTOH.

Charles stepped in and saved Harry's wedding when the bride's father could not/ would not walk her down the aisle. He treated the bride's mother with great gentleness and courtesy and was by EVERY account welcoming, generous and supportive of Meghan and her relationship with his son.

I fail to understand how anyone can accuse the PoW of withholding emotional support.

What more precisely could he have done?:sad:

I think it is ridulous to suggest any of the Queens children failed their children. The adult ones and no doubt the remaining two, are a credit. The one with many issues is Harry and unfortunately his mothers death and his unfortunate rationalisation of her has a lot to do with that. Also the people in Harry's childhood whom were involved in the formation of attachments was vast. From Nanny's to boarding house mothers and fathers. It takes a village, and in a royal child's case whose parents depend on others to provide other essential initial bonding,it really does. I think you only have to watch the Diana documentary for the 20th of her death to see the difference in mental health between her son's and this has led to Harry having a certain type of marriage.in that he needed a 'mother.' So did his father and so did his brother...but his brother found it in his future wives family and didn't need to imprint it on his wife. Having said that, Kate is very much the nurturer there.

Last edited:
If it really is the Meghan show! all the time and she must be the person who controls everything and everyone around her as some like to say I feel terrible for Archie. Harry is a grown man who must lie in bed he made OTOH.

All relationships have times for each partner to be dominant or recessive and it works for the couple. For example, there's another strong woman that happens to "control everything and everyone around her" when it comes to a public life. It's totally different when it comes to this woman's familial relationships though. The husband tends to rule the roost there.

Who am I talking about? Queen Elizabeth II, of course. :D

All relationships have times for each partner to be dominant or recessive and it works for the couple. For example, there's another strong woman that happens to "control everything and everyone around her" when it comes to a public life. It's totally different when it comes to this woman's familial relationships though. The husband tends to rule the roost there.

Who am I talking about? Queen Elizabeth II, of course. :D

A completely different situation. Couldn't be more so.

A completely different situation. Couldn't be more so.

Just an example. All relationships are different and each couple determines what works for them the best. Harry may prefer Meghan to take the lead in public speaking incidents and he remains sort of in the background as support.

This is just to make a point that "the Meghan show" may be what works for the *both* of them and how they've decided to handle things. Some have made it sound like Harry's being controlled by a whip and a chair and I don't believe that is the case at all. ?

Oh yes because nothing of that screams Harry :ermm:

Oh wait who did Harry found his first charity after :whistling:

Which parent does Harry mention all the time in interviews as inspiration (hint its not his father).

This need to blame everything on Meghan is so tiring. Harry has always been driven by the memory of his mother and that quote sounds exactly like him. Long before he ever met Meghan.

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting that Meghan should have mentioned Thomas. But her estrangement from her own father doesn’t mean Harry should act as though he’s estranged from his. What’s the reasoning behind that - since Meghan doesn’t have a father she’s comfortable with, it makes her feel bad for Harry to remind her and the world that he does? If that’s the expectation, then that’s horribly manipulative and toxic - much worse than what I initially thought. If they thought mentioning all of their parents except Thomas was too awkward, they could have just not mentioned any of them. That would also apply if there’s some sort of agreement to keep the royal family out of their professional materials. Other than the potential for $$$$, there’s no need to mention relatives on a website for one’s own professional endeavors. Most people don’t, perhaps because most people don’t have relatives who can be conveniently name-dropped to generate income.

I don’t know what Charles ever did to Harry that’s so awful, that Diana didn’t also do. Diana’s at least as much to blame for him growing up in a media fishbowl, probably more so. She courted that sort of attention far more than Charles did. They were both miserable in their marriage, but we’ve never heard stories of Charles crying to his young children about it and relying on them for emotional support that children shouldn’t be expected to provide. They both had affairs, but only Diana’s caused people to speculate about Harry’s paternity. In spite of all that, no one doubts that she loved her sons and was a good mother. I just don’t see why that would be any less true of Charles, despite his own similar mistakes and personal shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom