The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 06:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

So, Harry said this, apparently.

How nice of him that he’s comfortable about the lies that portray his father as a villainous b*****d. I give up on him.

Quote:
Prince Harry said “I’m way more comfortable with The Crown than I am seeing the stories written about my family or wife or myself”

Old 02-26-2021, 06:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is curious that, in this interview, which was recorded before the Palace's announcement about Harry's patronages and appointments, the Duke says that he never meant to step down from public service, but rather to step back.

Does he seriously think that living full-time in California and working as a producer for Netflix and Spotify are compatible with keeping a public life role in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth?
They really seem delusional in their insistence that not much changed or will change because they will continue to live a life of service... (as Meghan signed up for that)

And 'mental health' almost seems to have become an excuse for any decision they made; and one that you are clearly not supposed to argue with.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:47 AM
Courtier

I liked this interview. But I like James (I don't like Oprah) and I'm more interested in hearing what Harry has to say. I will say supposedly this interview was taped before the Queen took away the patronages.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
They really seem delusional in their insistence that not much changed or will change because they will continue to live a life of service... (as Meghan signed up for that)

And 'mental health' almost seems to have become an excuse for any decision they made; and one that you are clearly not supposed to argue with.
IMO a life of service as a non royal would invovle quiet dedication to some kind of hands on job.. not being a Netflix producer.. and giving donations that you publicise to charities, by times....
Old 02-26-2021, 06:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

How nice of him that he’s comfortable about the lies that portray his father as a villainous b*****d. I give up on him.
Yip, and he sounded happy for the series to carry on. He looked perfectly serious when he said he would like Damian Lewis to play him in future episodes but then The Crown is one of Netflix's biggest (if not it's biggest) shows and Netflix is one of his paymasters so I'm not surprised he's promoting it.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:

This interview was a promotion for Netflix.

I think that’s part of the problem in the UK for Harry...this interview (well, the army course part) would have been perfect to promote Invictus. Instead, the segment was a promotion of Harry and Meghan, and not any specific project...it seems like they’re gearing up to be recognized widely in the American media so they can then promote their Netflix documentaries and podcast. After Oprah, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or both on “Ellen” next.

Americans will likely have no problem with that decision, but royal watchers will be cringing. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Harry’s family is dreading it too.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothesea View Post

I think that’s part of the problem in the UK for Harry...this interview (well, the army course part) would have been perfect to promote Invictus. Instead, the segment was a promotion of Harry and Meghan, and not any specific project...it seems like they’re gearing up to be recognized widely in the American media so they can then promote their Netflix documentaries and podcast. After Oprah, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or both on “Ellen” next.

Americans will likely have no problem with that decision, but royal watchers will be cringing. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Harry’s family is dreading it too.
I agree, he also slipped in that he and Meghan lie in bed at night and watch Netflix, these things were not said by accident.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I agree, he also slipped in that he and Meghan lie in bed at night and watch Netflix, these things were not said by accident.
well this is his life now, doing "promotions" for Netflix...
Old 02-26-2021, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Yes, he did. And while I was a bit concerned that he seemed to care much more about himself than about his family; he did also stress that people know that The Crown is fiction 'loosely based on facts' - although he seemed to suggest that it shows a somewhat accurate picture of the lifestyle - while he apparently thinks that the perception of the public is that the media/tabloids portray the truth.

I'm afraid he is underestimating how much a tv-series like the Crown influences people's perception of the royal family and overestimates how seriously the tabloids are taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I liked this interview. But I like James (I don't like Oprah) and I'm more interested in hearing what Harry has to say. I will say supposedly this interview was taped before the Queen took away the patronages.
Yes, Harry referred to 'whatever the decision will be that they will make' (or something along those lines); so, it clearly wasn't made at the time the interview was taped.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Charities Need and like the publicity, which is why they always tweet about donations received.

Harry looks healthy and happy with his old friend in this interview, which is more than he did in London. If Harry and his wife were stifled and miserable in their positions and under fire from a vile press day and night for every single little thing they did and said, they are surely allowed to leave the RF without being accused of being traitorous and disloyal every five minutes. And surely Harry knew and knows the state of his own mental health better than any outsider does.

As for speaking about Archie, which wasn't much, most people including royals talk to others about their children at times. Diana did, Kate and William do. Why is Harry not allowed? Harry and Meghan wanted some privacy for themselves and their child. That meant not being probed and found fault with by the British tabloids all the time, not that they wished to remain silent about their lives and offspring for all time.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Yip, and he sounded happy for the series to carry on. He looked perfectly serious when he said he would like Damian Lewis to play him in future episodes but then The Crown is one of Netflix's biggest (if not it's biggest) shows and Netflix is one of his paymasters so I'm not surprised he's promoting it.
He’s a sell out to his own family, especially his father, who’s the one who suffered the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothesea View Post

Americans will likely have no problem with that decision, but royal watchers will be cringing. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Harry’s family is
dreading it too.
Most (and I mean the VAST majority) won’t give a damn about H and M; most Americans are not interested in the Royals, especially now.

I’m glad that, unless I see it here or on Twitter, that I have no idea what these two are up to....

Somebody:

Quote:
Yes, he did. And while I was a bit concerned that he seemed to care much more about himself than about his family; he did also stress that people know that The Crown is fiction 'loosely based on facts' - although he seemed to suggest that it shows a somewhat accurate picture of the lifestyle - while he apparently thinks that the perception of the public is that the media/tabloids portray the truth.

I'm afraid he is underestimating how much a tv-series like the Crown influences people's perception of the royal family and overestimates how seriously the tabloids are taken.
I just take that Harry giving himself an out for selling his father out. He apparently claimed the British media is toxic, but I guess The Crown isn’t even though (as William has said) it has exploited his parents and vilified his father. I’m sad to say that, in his game of Limbo, Harry keeps showing us how low he can go.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Sussexes are in full PR swing as far i can see. And it's only the beginning.
Cringe, that's all i can say.
I suppose their fans will find, as usual, any possible excuses to find this rather unbritish, cheap and somewhat immodest (again from my very personnal pov) behaviour exciting.
I say : good for them.
IMO from a strictly , dynastical, historical and institutional perspectives (the reasons why i'm on this Forum from the start), the Sussexes are now definitely out of the picture.
They are semi-celebrities with some level of entertainment for a very targeted audience.
Why not, but don't call them Royals anymore ...
Old 02-26-2021, 07:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

Which is kind of funny when you think that he and Meg were angry that the tabloids were so unfair and inaccurate in their portrayal of THEM...
Doesn't mind if the meida are unfair or inaccurate in their treatment of his grandmother or the rest of hte RF.. so long as he and Meg get good press...
Old 02-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

The full quote gives a clearer picture of what the Prince said

“I’m way more comfortable with*The Crown*than I am seeing the stories written about my family or my wife or myself. Because… that [The Crown] is obviously fiction, take it how you will. But this is being reported on as fact because you’re supposedly news. I have a real issue with that"
Old 02-26-2021, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The Sussexes are in full PR swing as far i can see. And it's only the beginning.
Cringe, that's all i can say.
I suppose their fans will find, as usual, any possible excuses to find this rather unbritish, cheap and somewhat immodest (again from my very personnal pov) behaviour exciting.
I say : good for them.
IMO from a strictly , dynastical, historical and institutional perspectives (the reasons why i'm on this Forum from the start), the Sussexes are now definitely out of the picture.
They are semi-celebrities with some level of entertainment for a very targeted audience.
Why not, but don't call them Royals anymore ...
But they are happy to bring the royals into their PR; because why else talk about his grandmother and their gift for Christmas to Archie.

I did like the 'army course' (and agree with the interviewer that Harry talked to him as he would talk to Archie); and agree with Intothesea that something like that would have been perfect for Invictus; however, this was about promoting 'Harry the prince' not about any of the 'service' they are doing - the contribution to their life of service would only be indirect as they use this media offensive to stay in the picture which they can use to further their own causes (including promoting issues close to their hearts and living a celebrity lifestyle).
Old 02-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Courtier

Well they're celebrities now - they depend on publicity they generate for their projects. So this is what's to be expected of them. There's nothing wrong with that - they were unhappy in the royal family and now they're living their own lives. I have no problem with that. As long as they're not saying nasty things about the royals or whining about their lives as rich people. Whining about your life as a rich person is something all of Hollywood does and it's annoying. None of them had to go to work in minus zero degree weather they should be grateful for that. Moving on ...

I thought the interview was cute - nothing nasty a bit of fun about the queen giving Archie a waffle iron (really though? He said "Mummy I want a waffle iron for Christmas?" Well it's not the weirdest thing I've heard a celebrity say about their child on James' show) . But I thought the bits were cute, Harry was happy and upbeat and it's no different than James' interview with Paul McCartney or Elton John which I also liked.

So I'd say it was a good interview.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Most (and I mean the VAST majority) won’t give a damn about H and M; most Americans are not interested in the Royals, especially now
True, but we will still be subject to seeing them around now. Oprah and James Corden, People Magazine inset covers, this is just week #1. When the Oprah interview comes out, there will be likely a People cover story. Then talk about it on the morning shows, etc.

Harry will be in a media blitz, even if most Americans don’t follow him. I don’t follow many of the US shows and celebrities, but I can still see an image and usually say “oh, that’s so-and-so promoting xyz”.

I assume he knows this? His interview in South Africa made him sound skeptical of any media. But, he seemed to have changed his mind.

It is okay for him to decide what he wants to do, but I do think he’s in a predicament because he will have to talk about his family and media loves the idea of drama, so he may walk into a few traps where things he says will become the headline, and he’ll find himself in a familiar situation where he feels the media is unfair.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Interviews like these is the reason why I've never believed Harry and Meghan wanted privacy in the first place, what they wanted was a never-ending flattering press from the British media, and when it was clear they wouldn't get that, they run away to the US where many people still fawn over the fact that he was Diana's son (completely forgetting William in the process). If they truly wanted privacy, they could've move somewhere in the Midwest or the Northeast, instead of California.
Privacy and never ending flattery are two separate things.
Like all royals they want to control the narrative and give the press what they want to for ex. not listing Archie's godparents.
As for the never-ending flattery. I doubt the couple wanted that after a while it becomes sugary and like saccharine. Useless. However what the couple got was unfair and mentally damaging treatment by the press. The far opposite of never-ending flattery. No one deserves that!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:29 AM
Majesty

Harry is not the producer or director of The Crown. He emphasised in the show with Corben that it was fiction, 'loosely based on facts'. He never at any stage said that The Crown was a truthful portrayal of it all. He didn't criticise his grandmother, in fact he contributed a lovely little story about his grandparents. And as a member of the BRF he is surely more able to judge if some aspects of royal life are portrayed accurately than any of us who look in from the outside.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Which is kind of funny when you think that he and Meg were angry that the tabloids were so unfair and inaccurate in their portrayal of THEM...
Doesn't mind if the meida are unfair or inaccurate in their treatment of his grandmother or the rest of hte RF.. so long as he and Meg get good press...
To reiterate what Prince Harry said-The Crown can be unfair in its portrayal of people as it is FICTION. They have poetic license to glorify or villify people as much as they want to.

However when the press tries to pass off factual information as fictious lies that is the proplem and that us wrong.

Stevie Wonder could see the point the Prince was trying to make.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex